Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Reconciliation ❯ Forgiveness ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Reconciliation Part 8: Forgiveness


Darien caught Serena as she fell. "Serena!" He practically yelled, his voice full of panic. He made sure she was still breathing, then picked her up and turned to Queen Serenity. "What the hell just happened!?" he demanded.
"Let's get her out of here first." Serenity replied smoothly.
Darien nodded and headed for the private door.
Queen Serenity turned back towards the room. "My apologies. I am sure my daughter will be just fine. Please, enjoy your meal." This seemed to calm the room, and after a moment, everyone went back to their plates and conversations.
Darien took Serena back to her room and laid her gently on her bed. She was still alive, but her body was becoming steadily colder. He pulled the quilt up to her neck and prayed that she would be alright. Moments later, Queen Serenity, the scouts, and Luna and Artemis entered the room and gathered around Serena's bed.
"How is she?" Luna asked, sitting on the bed with Artemis.
"I don't know." Darien replied, his voice as heavy as his heart. He look up at Queen Serenity. "What happened?"
"She was remembering the last battle of the moon. From what I could tell of her mind, she was seeing everyone in their moment of death, though she watched as you died." Serenity told him, sadly. "She saw your sword in her body, as she had committed suicide after your death, though the sword was never really there, it was very real for her. She saw the moon destroyed, and every inhabitant dead. Though she didn't understand any of it."
Darien was very confused now. "Did she remember or not?"
"I honestly don't know." Serenity replied quietly.
"Can you see into her mind now? What is she thinking now?" Darien pleaded.
Serenity shook her head. "No. Once a mind enters unconsciousness, any connection is closed. I will not be able to see into her mind again until she wakes."
Serena was becoming restless on her bed.
"What triggered such a violent reaction?" Amy wondered aloud.
"I was sensing great confusion in her while I was speaking. I believe it was building up beginning sometime this afternoon." Serenity replied thoughtfully.
"ENDYMION!!! NOOOO!!!! DO NOT LEAVE ME!!!!" Serena suddenly screamed in agony and horror, startling everyone. She wept in her sleep, soaking her pillow. Her body was writhing under the quilt, and though she was still cold to the touch, she was sweating profusely.
Darien immediately scooped her into his arms, and slowly, she relaxed, though the tears didn't stop.
"Darien…why…?" she whimpered quietly. He buried his face into her now loose hair.
"Oh god, Serena. I'm so sorry." He whispered into her hair. Without looking up, he listened as everyone left the room. Then he felt a hand on his arm.
"Endymion?" Serenity whispered from behind him. He kept his head down, not wanting to let her see his tears. Serenity sighed. "We have to return to the ball. Stay as long as you like. I do not believe Serena would mind if you were here with her when she wakes."
He then heard her soft footsteps crossing the room, followed by the door closing, signaled by a barely audible click.
After a time, Serena's sleep calmed, and Darien just sat in her bed, holding her in his arms, thinking about everything. About how much his life had changed in both the present, and the past. About how far they had all come since they lost the Moon so long ago. But mostly, he thought about Serena, how she had changed his life twice now, in two separate lifetime that seemed forever intertwined. In that moment, holding the one he held more dear then life itself, Darien swore to the Moon Goddess, Selene, rather than to the God of Earth, that if could was able to get Serena to forgive him and come back to him, he would never let her go, and he would do everything in his power to always lover and protect her, and their future family.
Eventually, he fell asleep. When he woke, it was not yet morning. Darien rubbed his eyes and took a minute to regain his bearings. Then he realized that he was alone, and he panicked.
"Serena?" Darien called, jumping off the bed. Only the breeze flowing though the open balcony doors answered him. He heard the music coming from the ball room slowly wafting in though the open doors. Something caught his attention, and listening carefully, he heard someone humming to the music.
Darien looked cautiously onto the balcony, and there she stood, like a ghost. A beautiful, elegant ghost.
Serena had placed a long, flowing sliken robe over her shoulders to shield the cool night air from her exposed skin. The soft breeze flowed though her loose hair and billowed out in her robe and skirts. The blue glow from the Earth caused a strangely silver halo to glow softly about her body. She was standing at the edge of that balcony, with her face upturned toward the Earth, her expression sad. As Darien stood watching her, listening to her hum softly. He noticed the light glint off something on her cheek, and realized with a pang in his heart that it was a tear.
Carefully, Darien walked up behind Serena, but as he was about to slip his arms around her waist, he stopped himself. He wasn't sure what had happened to her at dinner, but he didn't want to approach her too soon, especially if she still didn't remember.
"It's beautiful, isn't it?" She surprised him by speaking. He didn't know that she had noticed him come out.
After a moment, Darien too looked up at the Earth and replied, "Yes it is."
She turned her head down towards the ballroom. A moment of silence passed. Serena watching the couples and Darien watching her, longing to touch her, to hold her close and take away her tears.
"They look so happy, don't they?" She asked him softly, pain evident in her voice.
Darien stepped closer and looked over the balcony to the people in and just outside of the ballroom. "They do." He replied quietly.
"I wish…" Serena trailed off, her voice barely above a whisper.
"What do you wish?" he asked, his heart in his throat.
She sighed. "I wish I knew why." Before he could ask what, she turned full onto him. "Dance with me, Prince Endymion, just once before you go." It was more of a pleading question than anything else.
'Is it possible she remembers? But why would she call me Endymion then?' Darien stared at her for a moment, searching her eyes in the dim blue light. Abruptly, he bowed. Then he took her into his arms and slowly, they began to sway to the soft music. He remembered how much the Princess loved to dance, especially when it was just the two of them, dancing alone on her balcony under the glow of the Earth at night. It didn't matter if there was any music or not, all that mattered was that, if only for a moment, it was just them.
Darien sighed at the memory, but Serena didn't acknowledge it. She danced slowly with him, staring into his eyes, as though she was searching for something.
"Serena," he began softly. He didn't know if she would understand what he was going to tell her, but he had to say it before his heart burst. "I know you probably won't understand me, and that you don't remember anything about us, but I have to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry for letting Rini take all my time and attention. I'm sorry for listening to my dream and hurting you. I'm sorry for making you cry, and for everything I've done to hurt you. I love you more than anything, and I want you to know that I would give my very life to have you forgive me." Noticing that they had stopped dancing, he just stood there, holding her and looking into her eyes, hoping for a spark of recognition somewhere, but her expression was blank.
Darien closed his eyes against her blank face. He shook his head and was about to let her go when he heard her voice say something. It was only a whisper over the roar in his ears, but he heard it. He quickly looked back to her.
"What did you say?" he choked out.
"I forgive you, Darien." Serena replied clearly and purposefully.
"You remember?" Darien asked her, completely confused.
"Yes." Serena whispered. "I remember." She looked away from his eyes and a stray tear rolled down her cheek. Darien raised a gloved hand and gently wiped it away.
"What do you remember?" He had to be sure she remembered what had happened on the Moon, as well as on Earth.
"Everything." She replied in a hoarse whisper. The look of pain etched across her beautiful features was hearbreaking.
"Oh God Serena. I never wanted to hurt you. I was only trying to protect you, but now I know all I did was the opposite. Please, look at me, Serena. I love you so much." Darien pleaded.
Slowly, she raised her head and opened her eyes, revealing them to be full of unshed tears. "Just hold me Darien." She whispered.
He immediately did as he was asked and wrapped his arms tightly, yet gently, around her, holding her as though he would never let her go. Serena reveled in the feeling that she had missed so much. His arms, his chest, his distinctive scent, but more than anything, she had missed the feeling of his love for her. More than anything, it was the loss of that feeling that had caused her the most pain. The thought that she might never feel it again destroying her soul little by little, sending her deeper and deeper into despair until her pain had driven her to return to her ancestral home on the Moon.
Darien was filled with an unimaginable joy as her held her close to his heart, knowing that this time, things would be right. He would never diver her away again. It had almost destroyed them both, as well as the future. Suddenly, Darien heard Serena sobbing in his arms, and he looked down at her.
"What's wrong Serena?" He asked, but she refused to look up at him. He placed a finger under her chin and gently lifted her face to him. Serena kept her eyes squeezed tightly shut, which only served to force more tears down her cheeks. "Serena?" Darien asked again with concern and love filling his voice.
"Oh Darien." She replied all of a sudden, throwing her arms around him. "I was so afraid you would never love me again. That you were gone for good and I was going to be alone forever. It was killing me. You're the only one for me Darien. I love you so much." She gripped his tuxedo and sobbed into his chest.
Darien held her as she let out her pain. He had no idea that he had hurt her this much. He closed his eyes in an effort to fight back his own tears, but to his frustration, he only succeeded in forcing one to slip out and roll unchecked down his cheek. When she had calmed down enough to listen, Darien gave her his heart once again.
"Serena," he said, holding her face inches from his own and looking into her wet eyes. "Never doubt that I love you. I never stopped loving you. You too are the only one for me. I could never love anyone else the way I love you because you already have my heart, and you always will."
Serena smiled her beautiful, soul-melting smile that he had longed to see for so long. Slowly, their lips met in the most passionate kiss they had ever shared. Their hearts and minds were once again together, never to be apart again. Slowly, their bodies called for the same as the once innocent kiss turned mind-boggling.
Though their every emotion was poured into the kiss, it never became brutal or urgent. It was only filled with their mind-numbing love for each other. Serena's arms were wrapped around Darien's neck as he gently picked her up and carried her back into her room. Gently, he laid her onto the bed and looked into her eyes. There he saw no more pain, only her love for him.
"Serena, are you sure?" he whispered, his voice reflecting her eyes in every intensity.
Serena smiled and nodded. "Yes."
With that simple word, he covered her mouth again and wrapped his arms around her. All that night they made love, bringing their physical forms together as their hearts and minds now were, showing each other the depth of their love and passion for the other. Over and over they exclaimed their love and swore promises that they knew they would keep, no matter how long it took. They had forever ahead of them, and they intended to spend it together, no matter what.



Serena awoke to the sun shining on her face. A smile crossed her lips as she remembered the night before. She felt his arm draped around her waist, and reveled in the wait of it. As she lay in her bed, with the one she loved by her side, she thought of her time on the Moon. Now, everything seemed so strange now that she could remember the events everyone kept referring to. She thought of Darien, and how he played his role as the Prince of Earth in this lifetime. She now knew how he was able to find her on the ridge, and she thought of the times they had spent on it together, just the two of them. Serena sighed aloud.
"What is it?" Darien mumbled groggily from behind her.
Serena just sighed again, happy and peaceful in his arms. He snuggled closer to her, burying his face in her soft golden tresses. She giggled at the feeling of his breath on her neck. She heard Darien groan low in his throat, then he pushed her hair back and began kissing her neck. Serena let out a quiet moan and turned to face him. They began kissing passionately, wrapped in each other's arms.
'Serena, honey.' Her mother interrupted her thoughts. 'Could you please put your hormones on hold for a few hours and come to breakfast.' Serena's eyes popped open. She had completely for gotten about her connection to her mother. She stopped kissing Darien and groaned.
"What's wrong?" Darien asked, kissing his way down her neck.
"Mother wants us to come to breakfast." Serena sighed, exasperated, and somewhat embarrassed.
Darien's head snapped up and he looked her in the eyes. "She knows?" he said almost fearfully. He hadn't forgotten how the Queen had reacted when she heard about Rini the first time.
Serena nodded.
"How?" he asked, propping himself up on one arm.
"Our telepathic connection." Serena replied simply. She shrugged. "I had forgotten about it, so she probably knows everything."
Darien raised an eyebrow at her. "How much everything?" He prodded.
"I have to close my mind to her to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself, but because I didn't do that, I would imagine she knows, well, everything."
"All of it?" Darien asked again.
"Probably." Serena replied.
Darien groaned and flopped back onto the bed. "How am I ever going to get out of this one?" He mumbled.
'Tell Endymion not to worry. I'm happy for the two of you. I'll leave you be now, but please present yourself in the dining room reasonably soon.' Serenity said before her presence left Serena's mind.
Serena rolled over and laid her head on Darien's shoulder, snuggling up against his warm skin. "Don't worry love. Mother's not angry. She says she's happy for us, but she does want us to come down for breakfast." Serena reassured him.
Darien groaned. "I hope you're right."
Serena began kissing his shoulder. "But she didn't say right now." She whispered.
Darien growled and flipped onto his side, pulling his princess into his arms and taking her lips passionately.
An hour later, the Princess of the Moon and the Prince of Earth walked into the dining room of the Moon Palace, with looks of pure satisfaction of their faces and holding each other close.
"Well, well, look who decided to finally join us." Malachite jested, looking at Darien. Mina giggled in the seat next to him.
"What are they doing here!?" Serena exclaimed, immediately taking a fighting stance. This pose looked quite out of place and downright silly in her dress. The eyes of the scouts turned to her, amazed.
"Relax, Serena. They're on our side again." Darien told her.
"Are you sure?" She asked him over her shoulder.
"Yes." Queen Serenity told her from the other end of the table.
"Your majesty, may I?" Malachite asked quickly.
Serenity was surprised, but nodded. Serena watched as Malachite got up from his seat next to Mina, would before her and Darien, and kneeled.
"Your highness, Princess of the Moon. I must thank you…" he began.
"We must thank you." Jadeite interrupted, rising from his seat to kneel before her with Malachite. Quickly, Nephlite and Zoicite followed and all four of Queen Beryl's generals were kneeling before Serena.
"Why?" Serena asked confused.
Malachite looked up at her. "You set us free princess. With the help of the other princesses, you released us from the grasp of the Negaverse when you destroyed Beryl. Our souls became free again. Two nights ago, Queen Serenity gave us form." He bowed his head again. "Now, we wish to thank-you, to apologize to you for everything we did under the control of the Negaverse, and, if you would forgive us, we wish to pledge our allegiance to you once again."
Serena was shocked. She had no idea they had been set free. She thought they were dead and their souls had moved on. Serena looked at her friends, then to her mother, than up at Darien.
"This is just for you, love. I have already accepted them into my service again." He spoke gently.
She looked back at the four on their knees before her, and nodded. "Darien knew you much better than I. If he believes you can be trusted again, then that is all I need. I accept your apology, I grant you my forgiveness, and I accept your pledge of allegiance once. Let us hope all stays as it should this time." Serena added, smiling.
Darien shook his head as his four generals stood and Serena hugged each one of them, welcoming them back. 'Every once in a while, she shows me the Queen she will become.'
As they took their seats, Queen Serenity met her daughter's wandering eyes and raised an eyebrow. 'That was not what I meant by 'reasonably soon'.' She spoke telepathically, referring to Serena and Endymion's tardyness.
Serena blushed again. 'I'm sorry mother,' she looked up at Darien, 'It couldn't be helped.'
Serenity shook her head. "Oh Serena, whatever shall I do with you?" she spoke aloud, confusing everyone in the room. 'I certainly hope you are happy, dearest.'
Serena caught Darien's eyes and looked into them, smiling. 'I am mother. I truly am.'
Darien realized Serena was speaking to her mother telepathically. He leaned over and kissed Serena's forehead. Then laughed when her stomach rumbled.
"I can't help it." Serena pleaded, blushing yet again. "I'm starving."
"Serena's hungry. There's something you don't hear everyday." Raye remarked, sitting next to Jadeite.
Serena stuck her tongue out at Raye. She was next to Mina and Darien was now sitting next to Nephlite. The proximity to one who had once been the enemy made Darien uneasy, but he felt Serena's hand on his arm, and knew the feeling would pass with time. They were on their side again.
"Do you remember Serena?" Mina asked, looking into her friend's eyes.
Serena felt like she was being watched. Looking around the table, she found she was. Everyone had their eyes glued on her, like the next words to come from her lips would seal their fate. She felt Darien slip his arm around her waist, and she looked at him. She didn't need telepathy to know that he was encouraging her to tell them. Serena looked back at Mina.
"Yes." She said quietly. "I remember."
Mina let practically squealed with delight and hugged Serena. Amy and Lita let out a sigh of relief, while Raye shot another remark.
"It about time." Raye said, folding her arms across her chest.
Serena looked at her, somewhat taken aback at the remark. She caught Raye's eye, who looked back at her princess and let out a sigh. Shrugging, Raye said, "But it just wouldn't be that same without you, meatball head."
Serena smiled, and turned her attention back to the plate that had been placed before her. Though the rest had already finished eating, everyone stayed while Serena and Darien ate their own breakfasts. The conversation was mostly reminiscing, about both the Silver Millennium and the not so distant past on Earth.
Just as they finished, a dull purple cloud appeared near the doors.
"What is that?" Mina exclaimed, standing.
Amy pulled out her mini-computer and began punching buttons. "It's a time portal of some sort." She answered Mina's question thoughtfully.
Now everyone except Queen Serenity was on their feet. Darien's had was on his sword, ready for anything. When the cloud disappeared, he was not expecting to see who was standing in the room.
"Welcome Pluto." Queen Serenity spoke, now standing. She walked across the room to the sailor of time.
"Your majestly." Pluto said, half bowing. She was holding her time key in one hand, and in the other, was…
"Rini!" Serena exclaimed, now noticing the little pink-haired girl standing next to Sailor Pluto, whom she remembered from the Silver Millennium.
Serena raced across the room and scooped Rini up. Rini took one look at Serena, threw her arms around her neck and began balling.
"Oh, Serena." Rini choked out between sobs. "I'm so sorry."
Serena held Rini to her. She was trying hard not to cry, but it wasn't working very well, tears were now streaming down Serena's face. "What happened Rini? I knew you were gone but I didn't know where."
Darien walked up to the pair. Looking at his future before him, his Serena holding the daughter that they would someday bring into the world, was more unbelievable than it had been when he had visited the future.
"You have your memories back princess." Pluto said to Serena.
"I do." Serena replied, still holding Rini.
"Darien!" Rini exclaimed excitedly when she saw him.
"Rini." He said, taking both Rini and Serena in his arms. "I missed you. Are you alright."
"I am now Darien. Oh! I'm so sorry! I never thought I'd drive you apart! I didn't know who you were." Rini sobbed.
Darien hugged her, but didn't take the girl from Serena's arms. Right now, she belonged with her future mother. Darien watched as Serena's face changed and put Rini down.
Rini was very confused. "What did I do?" She asked, her tear-streaked face looking up at Serena.
"Nothing." Serena lied, then walked out of the room.
"What did I do Darien?" she heard Rini say as she was leaving.
"Princess." Pluto spoke from behind her.
Serena was surprised. She knew someone would come after her, but she wasn't expecting Pluto. She turned to face her, barely able to suppress the raging emotions within her. Seeing Rini brought it all back. The pain, the anger, every reason she had returned to the Moon, and all of a sudden, she didn't want to see either Darien or Rini's face.
"Why did you bring her here?" Serena asked, her voice quivering.
"It is time you knew the truth about Small Lady." Pluto calmly told her.
"And what would that be?" She asked, her emotions showing themselves clearly in her voice, and on her face.
Just then Darien ran out into the hall. He glanced around wildly and when he caught sight of them ran strait to Serena, who turned her face away when she saw him come out of the room.
"Serena, please. Don't do this." Darien pleaded, taking her into his arms, once again feeling guilty by her pain. He tried to lift her face and look into her eyes, but she only shut them and yanked herself away. "Please Serena, don't shut yourself down again. I won't leave you I promise." He said, taking her into his arms again. "I love you." He kissed her crescent moon and she melted in his arms, sobs wracking her body.
"Oh Darien. I love you too. Please don't leave me again." She sobbed into his chest.
He held her close and let her cry. "I'll never leave you, Serena. I promise."
"Your highness…" Pluto spoke, previously forgotten.
"I know." Darien replied over his shoulder. "Serena?" He whispered into her ear.
She looked up at him, tears still in her eyes.
"Let's go back." He suggested.
Reluctantly, she nodded and walked with him back into the dining room. Everyone had returned to their seats, and Pluto was standing at the end of the table, waiting for them. Serena glanced around when she couldn't find Rini. She found her sitting on her mother's lap.
'Oh, dear Selene, no! Not my mother on this planet too! Please don't let Rini take my place from everyone.' Serena begged silently, blinking back more tears.
Darien led Serena back to their seats, and silently, she sat down again. She avoided eye contact with everyone, something that didn't go unnoticed.
"Now, Pluto." Queen Serenity began when everyone was settled again. "I assume your coming with this charming little one is a good sign for the future?"
Pluto nodded. "Yes, your majesty, it is."
Serena watched her mother with Rini out of the corner of her eye, and had to hold her breath and bite her lip to keep herself from crying out. 'I'm being replaced again, with the only one who didn't know Rini. I never should have come.'
"Has it been completely restored then?" Darien asked, surprising Serena, who had no idea what they were talking about.
"Not entirely. As it is now, Rini exists, but Crystal Tokyo does not." Pluto replied, confusing everyone.
"What does that mean?" Raye asked sourly.
"Only those who need to know at this point understand. Do not worry Mars, you will all understand in time." Pluto told Raye calmly.
Amy's eyes lit up and she whipped out her Mercury computer, aiming it at Serena. After a moment, she let out an uncharacteristic squeal of delight, then her face dropped and she solemnly closer her computer and hid it away again.
"What did you find Amy?" Mina asked, curious.
Amy looked at Pluto, who was giving her a very disapproving look. Amy blushed and shook her head.
Serena was having a terrible time keeping her emotions under control. Right in front of her Rini was in the process of taking her other mother from her, and now everyone was talking in riddles around her again. She just couldn't take it anymore. She held her breath for a moment, wondering what to do. For some strange reason, bawling like she used to do, or screaming at the top of her lungs, didn't seem like a very good idea. Not like they used to. Then her princess side came to her.
Serena stood up to get everyone's attention. "Mother, Darien, Amy, Pluto. May I speak with you privately?" she said in a regal commanding voice. Raye looked at her for a moment completely shocked before Jadeite and Lita made her stand up.
As everyone but those Serena had asked to stay left the room, Serena noticed that Rini was clinging to Pluto. Glaring at the little girl, Serena called Mina back.
"Mina, could you please take Rini with you?" she said again with a firm tone. Mina rushed back into the room and took Rini out with her.
"Shut the door please." She asked Malachite, who waited for Mina. He nodded and the door closed behind him with a resounding thud.
"What the hell is going on here!?" Serena started screaming. She was angry and confused and wasn't going to control her emotions any longer.
"Serena, that is not proper conduct for the Princess of this Kingdom." Serenity told her.
"To hell with conduct!" she yelled back. "I'm sick and tired of everyone leaving me out of the conversation. When I didn't remember anything it was bad enough, everyone telling me that I should remember things. Now I remember everything, even more from the Silver Millennium than I did before, and now everyone is talking about the future like they've been there!" Tears were now streaming down Serena's face, and she wiped them away with her hands.
"And I'm sick of Rini replacing me." She sobbed, sinking into a chair. Through her tears, she saw Darien kneel in front of her.
"You're going to tell me that I shouldn't be so mean to her, aren't you? That she's just a little girl and I should be nicer to her." Serena said, barely above a whisper, and barely audible between her sobs. She covered her face with her hands and leaned forward onto her lap.
"No, I'm not." Darien told her softly.
She wiped her eyes with her skirt and looked at him. "I don't understand Darien. Why does everyone lover her so much that they forget about me? I should hate her, but I just can't. I don't know why, but I love the little rabbit, even though she's ruining my life and taking everyone I care about away from me."
Darien took her hands and looked into her eyes. "She's not taking anyone away from you." He told her firmly.
"But, you…" she started, but stopped when he shook his head.
"No. She had nothing to do with it. I thought I was protecting you by staying away from you, but I realized too late that I was only hurting you so much that you were putting yourself in worse danger that what I was trying to keep you from."
Serena was shocked. She had been sure that Rini had convinced Darien that she was no good for him, and that he had loved Rini so much that he didn't want Serena around anymore.
"I love you Serena. Rini could never replace you. Whatever the future holds, we will face it together."
"Promise?" Serena whispered, her eyes threatening tears again.
"No." He said, shocking her again. "I swear to it." Now, Serena did cry, throwing her arms around Darien's neck, and he pulled her onto his lap and took the chair she had been sitting on.
"I love you too Darien." She sobbed into his chest. He just held her for a few moments as she let out all her anger, frustrations and pain. It was over now, and she knew that they would never be apart again. Only when Pluto spoke did Serena remember there were others in the room.
"The future is changing." Pluto said with an unreadable tone in her voice.
Serena remembered she wanted to know what was going on and that she had asked those who seemed to know to stay. She wiped away her tears and stood up, holding onto Darien's hand for strength.
"Pluto, you seem to be the most knowledgeable about the future that seems to be of such interest to everyone, now you can tell me what you are talking about." She said, once again sounding like the Princesses that she was.
Pluto looked at her for a moment, than nodded. "If you wish, your highness." Then she went back to looking at the garnet-coloured sphere in her staff. Serena found herself looking into the orb as well, and slowly walking forward.
"In the future, as it should be, you have ascended the throne as Queen of the Earth and Moon, with Endymion as your husband. Times were happy and prosperous on Earth, with Crystal Tokyo as the capital, and your home. The peace was not to last as the Dark Moon family attacked Earth, catching the planet off guard. They wanted Earth for their own, despising all who lived there and seeking revenge for their banishment.
"Neo-Queen Serenity was caught in the initial attack, but was protected in the last moment when the sailors encased her in a protective shield of quartz. Unfortunately, she fell into a deep sleep. King Endymion fell into a deep depression, without his wife, the only one was could use the Silver Crystal, he believed that they could not win the war against the Dark Moon. The Sailors Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Venus were able to keep the palace protected, but no one could wake the Queen.
"Upon finding the Crystal Palace's defenses impenetrable, the Dark Moon has come to the past to try to take Earth before it has Neo-Queen Serenity and King Endymion to protect it. They only learned of the Sailor Scouts of the past when you first encountered them. They are also chasing Rini.
"When you left Endymion and came to the Moon, the future changed. You eventually became Queen of the Moon Kingdom, but not of Earth. Had the time line kept going as it was, you never would have married Endymion, and the Earth had been taken by the Dark Moon with little to no resistance."
"And now?" Serena said, trying to absorb everything that Pluto was telling her.
"Time had been restored. The Dark Moon is on their way back to this time."
At that moment, a flash of light filled the room. Rushing to the window, Serena found that the Dark Moon had returned, and they were attacking Earth again.
"Not this time!" Serena yelled, and ran out the door to her room. Moments later, she returned with Mina, Lita, Raye and the others right behind her. She had retrieved her locket from it's hiding place within the pillar in her room, and replaced the Silver Crystal within it.
She took a moment to catch her breath, then turned to the scouts. "Lets show these Dark-creeps who Earth belongs to!" She exclaimed, all her past power returning to her. She held her locket above her head and yelled: "Moon Crystal POWER!"
The rest of the girls followed her lead and transformed. In a matter of moments, there were now five warriors where five princesses had stood a moment before.
"Are you coming Darien?" Sailor Moon asked him.
He nodded, smiling, and quickly transformed himself into Tuxedo Mask.
"Mother, please watch Rini for me." Sailor Moon requested as Tuxedo Mask joined their circle. Serenity nodded and Sailor Moon took the Silver Crystal from her locket and held it over her head once again calling for its power.
In a flash of brilliant white light, the six warriors disappeared from the room, bound for Earth.
Queen Serenity walked to the window to watch what she could of the battle.
"What happened to Serena?" Rini asked, her voice reminding Serenity of the presence of her granddaughter. She picked up the pink-haired girl and held her close.
"She went to defend Earth." Serenity replied.
"No I mean before that. Why did she want us to leave?"
"She was upset." Serenity replied simply.
Hours passed, with Pluto disappearing once, saying nothing save that she was needed, when finally they watched as a brilliant beam of white light blasted into space and destroyed the crystalline space-ship floating outside of Earth's atmosphere.
It was late at night when the sailors and Tuxedo Mask returned to the Moon. Serenity was alarmed to find Endymion carrying Serena who was laying unconscious in his arms, and Pluto bearing them all back to the Moon.
"It's alright." Endymion reassured her. "She just passed out. I'm going to take her to bed."
Serenity nodded and turned to Pluto, who was now talking to Rini.
"What happened?" Serenity asked the guardian of time.
Pluto stood to face her and heaved a sigh of relief.
"It is done. The princess has defeated the Dark Moon, but she had jeopardized herself in do so. She used a great amount of energy."
"Will she be ok?" Rini asked, stifling a yawn.
"I believe so." Pluto answered simply, which only made Rini frown, followed by another yawn.
"Let's go to bed Rini. We'll see everyone in the morning." Serenity could see that she was going to protest, and gave the child a firm look that caused her to close her mouth and take Serenity's outstretched hand. She took Rini to her own room and shared her giant bed with her granddaughter. She laughed to herself many times noticing the similarities between mother and daughter.



The next morning, Serena woke in her bed in the palace on the Moon. She was still tired and feeling like she had very little energy, but she still had unanswered questions. She forced herself to get out of bed, and not a moment after she had stood up, someone grabbed her hand and pulled her back.
"Where do you think you're going?" A male voice asked her. She rolled over to find Darien looking at her intently.
"To talk to my mother, if you don't mind." She told him indignantly, and made a move to get up again.
"Oh no you don't." Darien said, pulling her back. "You're staying in bed until I know you're ok. You used a lot of energy in that battle yesterday."
Serena groaned and gave in, mostly because she just didn't have the energy to fight back. "Fine, but as soon as I feel up to it, I'm going to get some answers."
"Why don't you just ask me. You never know, I just might be able to answer your questions." He teased.
Serena shrugged, not wanting to argue. She covered a yawn with her hand and snuggled into his warmth. "Maybe later." She mumbled into his chest.
"Ok, love." He whispered back to her.
Serena slipped nicely into a restful sleep filled with strange dreams about Rini, her family on Earth, and of the Moon Kingdom. When she woke up again, it was dark, and she was alone. She lay in bed, thinking. She knew about the future now, but she didn't know where Rini fit in. She felt like she was left out on a secret that everyone else seemed to know. She got up and headed to the bathroom. Just as she was washing her hands, she heard someone enter the room.
"Serena?" It was Darien's voice. Serena shook her head, but smiled.
"I'm in here." She called out to him. "I'll be out in a second."
"Ok. Just making sure you hadn't taken off on me." Darien replied though the door.
Serena opened the bathroom door to find him standing directly on the other side of it. He flashed her a sexy grin.
"How are you feeling?" he asked.
"A little tired, and hungry." She said, catching the smell of something behind him.
Darien laughed. "I thought so. I brought you some food, but I have no idea what it is, so don't ask."
"I remember it." Serena said, walking to the table and sitting down. "It's a moon soup. Mother always had this made for me when I wasn't feeling well."
"That's soup? You've got to be kidding." Darien said, sitting next to her. He watched intently as she ate.
"What? Have I got something in my teeth?" She asked him, aware that he had been watching her.
He shook his head. "No. Just looking at how beautiful you are."
Serena stuck her tounge out at him. She got up to go back to her bed, but stumbled back into her chair.
"Are you alright?" Darien asked, concerned.
"Just tired." Serena replied, and went to stand up again.
"Let me." He said, and picked her up.
Serena wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her across the room and laid her gently on her bed. He leaned down and kissed her gently, then sat back as she rested her head on his chest.
"Darien?" she asked after a moment.
"Hmm?"
"Can you really tell me what I want to know?"
He shrugged. "Don't know. Ask me and I'll tell you."
"Who is Rini? Where is she from? How does she fit into everything? Why was Diamond after her?" Serena spun off question after question, but they were all about Rini. Darien sighed. It was time she knew.
"Rini is out daughter from the future." He said simply, bracing for her reaction.
This was not what Serena expected to hear. "My… our… Are you sure?" She rolled over and looked at him.
"Yes." He replied.
"That explains a lot." She said thoughtfully, laying back down.
"It does." He agreed.
"Darien," Serena said, talking his hand in hers. "I love you."
He smiled behind her. "I love you too." He said, and kissed her hand.
Neither said anything more as they lay together in a comfortable silence until he heard her breathing deepen, letting him know that she had fallen asleep.
Darien shifted down beside her and wrapped his arms around her. She cuddled deeper into his embrace as she slept, making him smile. Eventually, he too fell asleep, knowing that they would have to go back to Earth soon.



Back | Check back for the epilogue!