Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Moon Yuri Drabbles Collection ❯ Drabbles One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author: Elsewhere - elsewherecw@shaw.ca
Date Finished: September 19-October 10th, 2004
Classification: Romance, Angst, Humor, Drabbles
Rating: PG to R
Disclaimer: These characters and their backstories are not mine.
Spoilers: Plenty. Watch your step. ^_^;
Distribution: Nowhere without my permission, thanks.

Notes: For some reason, during a brief period of restlessness on September 19th, I decided to start at the beginning of the entries of the Livejournal community femslash100 and start writing myself some drabbles (which I've never really done before) to go along with the challenges there. None of them are 100 words (simply impossible for me), but most of them are under 200 (there are a couple of noticeable exceptions).

Drabble Challenge #1: Awakenings (how a character realized they liked girls)

Title: Sunlit Kisses
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (manga)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Fighter/Kakyuu

Ten after four in the afternoon; it was time for lessons, but when the red-headed princess walked out into the sunshine of the gardens, she found her youngest senshi climbing trees.

"Hime!!" the raven-haired girl shouted, dropping from a perilously high branch and jogging over towards her ruler. The younger girl's eyes sparkled; she was ten years old, all scraped knees and dirty shorts. "Where ya going?"

"I am going to the east courtyard, to await the arrival of my fiancé," the princess replied, trying to sound as regal as she could. In truth she was nervous, but she didn't want the other girl to know. It was her first time meeting the boy she'd been promised to marry, after all.

"Your what?" The girl looked confused, and then mad.

"My betrothed...you knew about him," she answered, a bit impatiently.

"Uh-uh." The princess blinked, surprised, as the other girl reached out and grabbed her arm, frowning. "You're not gonna marry some guy."

"Why not?"

"You're going to marry *me*!"

And she kissed her, soft and sweet, there in the afternoon sunshine...and the princess knew that her cause was lost.

*****

Challenge #5: Goals

Title: Princess Charming
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Makoto/Ami
A/N: I've always wanted to write a fic taking place after the SuperS episode where, in my view, Makoto brushes off a perfectly nice dance with Ami in her quest for a prince (Tigers-eye, who of course betrays her affections) in which Ami would teach Makoto that she doesn't *need* to find a prince.

Mizuno Ami didn't have many goals in life.

Become a good doctor, like her mother. Marry someone she loved, and have a family, if possible. Her dreams were big, but simple.

"Someday I *know* a prince is going to come for me." It was something Kino Makoto would say whenever she was feeling especially depressed or disheartened. "I've been cheated by all the others; I've been disappointed before. But someday, I swear, a real prince will come."

Perhaps the most enduring goal of the last few years of Ami's life had been this: to prove to Mako-chan that she didn't need a prince to come for her. She didn't need a *prince*.

And some part of Ami was willing to prove that by any means necessary.

*****

Title: If It Kills
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Healer/Kakyuu

She cared more than anyone else because she felt more than anyone else, and because of that she was easily burned: the peril of being an empath. She was contradictorily defensive and reckless with her own emotions. She looked on her hurt princess in those initial days when they returned to their ruined planet, when Kakyuu was in so much pain because of the loss of her people, her lover and to some extent the love of one of her senshi---or so Healer saw it---and she declared that she would bear the burden.

"If it kills me, I'm going to make her happy," she declared to her two friends, ignoring the pained looks they gave her in return, not listening to what they had to say. She wouldn't hear it.

/It may just kill you, Healer...because you *can't* make her love you.../

*****

Title: Goals
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Seiya/Yaten

"You're pathetic. We've been back from Earth for, what, a year now, and you still loll around all day, without any direction. You need to get yourself some *goals*."

"Oh, lay off, would you? You give me this same speech *every day*. And I have goals. Just not the goals you have in mind, obviously."

"I give you the same speech every day because you *never listen*, baka. What kind of goals do you have, exactly? I'm dying to hear it."

"I listen, I just pretend to ignore you 'cause it pisses you off. And goals like...how I want to get the girl I like to like me back."

"You are too much. And ha! Like that's ever going to happen. Give up on her already."

"I know I am, thanks. And I'm not ready to do that; sorry. I'm not entirely convinced that she's not interested in me."

"Oh, go deflate your head. And she has a boyfriend that she's been with for basically a thousand years and will be with for another thousand, you dolt."

"I like my head the way it is. And I'm not talking about Odango, so *there*."

"You...what? Then who *are* you talking about?"

"Come on...it's been a year. That was just a thing. All right, so it was a big thing at the time, but we're all stupid sometimes...especially me; I admit it. All right?"

"Yes, fine, fine, but who is this person you want to like you back, then!?"

"You can figure that out for yourself, since *you're* so smart."

"...You know what? Never mind. I don't even care."

The sound of stomping footsteps faded away down the hall.

She smirked.

"Don't worry, Yaten...you'll figure it out eventually."

*****

Challenge #6: Mirror

Title: Readjusting
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Taiki/Yaten

When they got back to Kinmoku, the first thing Yaten did was look at herself in the mirror for a long time. When she was asked, she said she was reminding herself of what she really looked like...what she was supposed to look like.

"You looked fine," Taiki remarked, rolling her eyes.

"But admit it---I look better now," Yaten countered, coming around to sit next to Taiki on the couch in Yaten's living room. They were alone in her apartment.

"You look better now," Taiki said, without glancing up from the book she was leafing through.

Taiki blinked when a moment later Yaten snatched the book away, and she turned her head to find Yaten looking at her seriously, the concern in her eyes earnest.

"Taiki...tell me I look better now," Yaten said, her voice quivering ever so slightly with uncertainty.

Taiki paused, then smiled softly, reaching out to touch her friend's hand.

"You look...beautiful," she whispered, holding Yaten's eyes for one long, breathless minute before she gently took back her book and returned to her reading.

*****

Challenge #7: Lessons

Title: Confessions
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Galaxia/Kakyuu

They met roughly once every two months, in Kinmoku's time, to talk. Just to talk. Kakyuu, who was known among her close friends for her strange sense of humor, liked to call it their little 'intergalactic tea party.' To anyone else, the fact that they saw each other in any civil context at all---that they drank tea and spoke of politics and mutual acquaintances and past experiences---would have been shocking enough; that they were friends would have seemed unbelievable.

On one such occasion, which seemed like any other at first, Kakyuu learned perhaps the most startling and one of the more important lessons of her life.

"Tell me, my friend," she had said, sitting back against her seat and casually sipping her tea, "about yourself. We have spoken of my past relationships. But you...do you bother with such things? Have you ever been in love?"

"I am in love," the other woman, she who had once been known as the galaxy's strongest senshi, replied, running a hand through her golden-red locks and sighing quietly.

"Oh? Presently?" Kakyuu asked, lifting her eyebrows. "Anyone I know?"

Blood-colored eyes met those the color of freshly-bloomed poppies, and suddenly...the answer occurred.

"Ah...I see," Kakyuu said, her voice dropped to a whisper, because all breath seemed to have escaped her body. She lifted her teacup, trying to still the shaking of her hand, and took a slow sip.

After that, they were both silent for a long time.

*****

Challenge #9: Discovery

Title: Death Wish
Fandom: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (live action)
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Rei/Minako
A/N: Set just after episode 40; if you haven't seen far enough to know that [spoiler]Minako has a terminal illness[/spoiler], this probably won't make any sense. If you haven't seen any PGSM at all, this definitely won't make any sense, as the characters are very different from either their BSSM manga or anime forms.

She was angry. For the first time, today, she had seen Minako smile and laugh and let go of the past, and their mission, and all of those things that were so important that she had to live without happiness---that she had to *die* without happiness.

Minako accused her of still not understanding the gravity of her mission. Rei knew better. As important as the past and the mission might be to Minako or anyone else, what good were they if she threw away her life for them?

And *why* couldn't she see that her life wasn't just her own concern?

"Why can't you see that there are people who care about you, people who *love* you, who will be the ones to truly suffer when you die? When you give your life away for nothing!?"

She hadn't even realized she'd been speaking aloud, shouting it towards Minako's retreating back, until the other girl stiffened and stopped.

Rei watched as Minako breathed in slowly and then turned, the look on her face one of the surprise of a sudden and unwanted discovery.

"I'm sorry. I...didn't realize," Minako said, her voice quiet. She lifted her chin and shook her head, ever so slightly. "But it's too late now to change anything."

And she turned and left. Rei collapsed to her knees, anger making her too weak to stand.

*****

Title: One and Only
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Hotaru/Chibiusa
A/N: Crystal Tokyo timeline.

During these trips to Earth, it was a tradition that every afternoon at two o'clock the princess of Saturn would go to the Crystal Palace and visit her dearest friend. Today made no exception, although it had been some time since she'd visited Earth. She was surprised to note the way that people were bustling around in the palace, speaking to each other in hushed, excited voices.

She reached her friend's room and found the young Moon princess in front of her vanity, brushing her hair. Her question about what was happening was answered simply enough.

"My parents announced my engagement today," Chibiusa---for that was how Hotaru would always think of the other girl, despite all her many titles---answered, red eyes evenly meeting Hotaru's in reflection.

"Your...what?" She couldn't seem to catch her breath. She had imagined some great discovery, yes...something happy and big. Anything but this.

"My engagement, to Helios. My parents suggested the idea, and I agreed. I see no reason why not."

/Of course...why not?/ Hotaru thought.

How foolish of her to make the mistake of thinking their time together as children---as each other's one and only true friend---would never come to an end.

*****

Title: Discoveries
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime)
Rating: PG-13 to R
Threesome: Seiya/Yaten/Taiki

One night...one single night of wandering the palace halls, a natural consequence of insomnia, and Taiki made the strangest, most disturbing, and possibly the best discovery of her young life.

All it took was that combination---too tired to be paying attention, too lonely to care if she disrupted anyone else's sleep---and then she was there, turning the knob of Yaten's door instead of her own, and stepping into the apartment before she even realized it wasn't hers. And then she was stopping in her tracks halfway towards the bedroom, because even in the faint moonlight peeking through the curtains, she could make out the outlines of two moving bodies on the bed, and she could certainly hear the sound of two familiar voices raised in moans of delight.

She tried to leave, to beat it the hell out of there before she was noticed, but of course that was impossible. She had been noticed instantly, and it was obvious from the way the sounds and the motions stopped.

"Nnnn...Taiki...haven't you ever heard of knocking!?" came an irritated voice, tight with something unfulfilled.

A chuckle, and then a softer voice.

"Give her a break...she's mortified enough."

The sound of shifting sheets, and then a sigh.

"Now what?" the first voice asked, and Taiki winced, still wishing she could just leave and pretend she hadn't seen or heard anything.

A pause, and then another chuckle, this one kind of wicked.

"Wanna join us, Taiki?"

Oh yes...a very pleasant discovery indeed.

*****

Challenge #11: Forgotten

Title: Unforgettable
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (anime/manga)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Rei/Usagi
A/N: Takes place in Crystal Tokyo.

For a thousand years, there was one moment of her life that Rei had never forgotten. Battles had passed her by, wars had been won and lost, friends had died and been buried, and life had otherwise gone on, and she had never forgotten that one single minute so long ago.

It had been shortly after Usagi's twenty-first birthday. Shortly after Usagi had married Mamoru, and not too long before the birth of Crystal Tokyo and Usagi's ascension to the throne as Neo Queen Serenity. So many memorable events had occurred that year, and of all of them, the one that stuck out most in Rei's memory was a single evening when she'd found Usagi standing on her doorstep without an umbrella, in the pouring rain, soaking wet and crying. Not sobbing; she had been totally silent, but tears were running down her face, easily distinguishable from the rain to her friend.

Rei had tried to usher Usagi into the shrine, but Usagi had remained on the steps, shivering as she had stared into Rei's eyes.

"I always loved you, you know," Usagi had said, in that quiet, serious way she had. "I'm sorry."

And then she'd turned away and run off into the rain. The next time they met everything was normal.

Rei would never forget that moment, no matter how long she lived.

*****

Challenge #13: The End - Write an ending to a story. It can be a happy ending or a sad ending or whatever you like :)

Title: The Sweetest Thing
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Rating: PG
Pairing: Makoto/Ami

It started the way most things did for Makoto: without a lot of thought. It was a slow day, and she didn't have much to do. She invited Ami over for dinner, and since they didn't have any homework to do or anything to study---possibly a record for Ami---they decided to watch a movie.

The plot was dull, but curling up on the couch together was nice, especially when Ami sleepily leaned her head on Makoto's shoulder. But then Ami woke up and blushed and apologized, and Makoto missed the warmth and decided to try being a little bold. She wrapped an arm around the smaller girl's shoulders and pulled her a little closer, encouraging her to lean on her again. They ended up really close, and Ami turned her chin up just as Makoto looked down, and their mouths were just inches apart...and then they were kissing, quite suddenly. The next Makoto knew, Ami was nestled in her lap and they were kissing passionately, Makoto's hands under Ami's shirt, testing the boundaries.

The end, when it came, was probably the sweetest thing Makoto had ever experienced.

*****

Challenge #14: Misunderstanding

Title: Metabolism
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (manga)
Rating: PG
Pairing: Juno/Vesta, sort of Ceres/Pallas
A/N: Takes place after the Stars arc, when Chibiusa acquires the former Amazones Quartet as her senshi.

Pallas watched for a long, long time as her two fellow senshi---Juno and Vesta, to be precise---sat together on the grass, doing something she had often heard referred to as 'making out'. She didn't take any particular interest in it, but she was curious about how it was related to their current assignment.

"You know," she said finally to her companion, when after half an hour she still hadn't managed to figure it out, "I really don't think when the princess sent us out on watch she meant this kind of activity. I know Juno and Vesta said that it helps them to be able to watch, but I just don't see how it can. I think they're misunderstanding."

Ceres flapped her fan and sighed, rolling her eyes.

"PallaPalla, dear...the one with the misunderstanding is you," she began. "What they told you is simply a pile of---"

"Shh!!" Juno said suddenly, sitting upright.

Vesta frowned. "If you shatter her illusions now, we'll never hear the end of it."

And then they went back to their activities.

Ceres rolled her eyes again, then sighed, giving in.

"Well, you see...it's much easier to be on look-out if your metabolism is very active, and making out gets the blood very active," she said tiredly, trying not to look Pallas in the eye.

"Oh," Pallas said, and then she paused a long time before she turned to Ceres and asked what Ceres later realized she should have known was coming. "Shouldn't we be doing it too, then?"

Ceres nearly fell off her perch.

*****

Challenge #15: Christmas

Title: Under the Mistletoe
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Rating: PG
Pairing: Rei/Usagi

That year, Rei decided to go along with the spirit of the season to a greater degree than usual and she put up mistletoe in the halls of the shrine. Then she conveniently forgot about it; after all, how likely was she to make use of it for its traditional purpose?

The night of the Christmas party, she didn't think anything of it when she brushed past Usagi underneath the mistletoe in the front hallway. In fact, she didn't even notice. But Usagi noticed, and Usagi bounced up and down and clapped, and grabbed Rei's hands and pulled her close. When Rei realized what was going on, she expected to receive a chaste peck on the cheek, or something equally sisterly. Her eyes widened, rivaling the Styrofoam plates the snacks were being served on, when Usagi leaned over and gave her a soft, just-barely moist little kiss on the lips.

She couldn't stop touching her mouth all night. And the others couldn't help but notice the fact that, after that, she put up mistletoe every year.

*****

Title: Christmas Morning
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Rating: PG
Pairing: Haruka/Michiru
A/N: Takes place during SuperS, some time after the H/M SuperS special.

On Christmas morning they sat together huddled on the couch in their small apartment, musing in a few scattered whispers that it would have been nice to have a fireplace. Instead they shared body heat under a big, comforting blanket, their toes curled together and stuffed into the space between the couch cushions. They watched snow slowly swirl down from the sky outside the windows, and they smiled and drank hot chocolate.

"Do you think they're all right?"

"I think so."

"Are *you* all right?"

"I'm fine. You're here."

Only those few words before they lapsed again into silence, snuggling closer, drinking from the same mug, fingers tangling together and holding, a miniature embrace.

"Merry Christmas," one whispered, and she smiled contentedly at the hug she received in return.

*****

END BSSM YURI DRABBLES PART ONE