Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailors Of The Elements ❯ Part One - Sailor Light ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]







AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello hello! As everyone knows, I do not own Sailor moon or any of the associated characters/places/etc. Please don't sue! I do, however, own Celeste and all of the Elementals, as well as Leander, etc etc. Okay so I'm not in the mood for author's notes right now! Read it, review it, and most importantly, enjoy it! (Warning: very long)
SAILORS OF THE ELEMENTS : PART I
~ ~ SAILOR LIGHT ~ ~
<<A young girl of about fifteen walked uncertainly down an unfamiliar street in Japan. She was slender and tall, with brown hair cascading down her shoulders and hazel eyes that sparkled in the Japanese sunlight. She had a delicate face, high cheekbones and pleasingly arched eyebrows. She walked with a grace that seemed as natural as the sunlight and as graceful as water. She wore a black skirt and a red v-neck shirt, and a black purse was slung casually over her shoulder. She attracted attention like a magnet but she seemed not to notice it in the slightest. Perhaps she was used to it, or perhaps it was unexpected. The likely reason she didn't notice it, however, is because her thoughts were elsewhere.>>
My thoughts were currently focused on the fact that I was definitely, absolutely lost. I was visiting my aunt and uncle on my mother's side, who had decided to live in Japan for a year or so to have a 'new experience.' My aunt was very dear to me and I had begged my mother to send me from California to the small town in Japan where my aunt had decided to live. My mother had finally caved in and sent me there for the two weeks of spring break that I was given in late March. And wouldn't you know it, the first day I went out to go shopping I got lost. I paused at an intersection.
"Hmm, let me see," I said out loud, my brow furrowing in thought. "If this is Broadway and 2nd, and Auntie lives on Hemingway and Cherry, then that means . . ." I trailed off. "That I am hopelessly lost," I sighed and sat down on a bench. I got my purse out and pulled out my wallet. I didn't have enough money left to buy a map, so maybe I could get directions from someone on the street. I stood up and looked around at the nearly empty street. I saw apartment buildings, gas stations, and bakeries, but no people . .. .wait! There was a man coming out of the apartment buildings. He was very cute - tall and had black hair and blue - gray eyes. I hurried over to him.
"Pardon me, sir," I said in halting Japanese. "Do you speak English?" I asked. He nodded and looked at me curiously.
"Yes, of course," he said, still looking me over. I sighed in relief. "Can I help you?" He asked. I nodded.
"Yes, I am completely lost! I'm supposed to be on Hemingway and Cherry, but somehow I ended up over here! Could you give me directions to where I need to be?" I asked.
"Well, sure. Let me think a moment." He paused. "Its actually not far from here. I could walk you there, if that's O.K. with you," he offered. I smiled my most dazzling smile.
"Oh, would you?" I asked.
"Of course, its no problem!" He said graciously. "Follow me." I happily obliged.
* * *
"Let me guess," the man said as they walked along. "You're new here. Where did you move from?" He asked. I smiled.
"Well, yes, I am new here, but I didn't move here to live," I said. "I'm just visiting my aunt for two weeks. She and her husband just recently moved in. They wanted to live in Japan for a year or so because they thought it would be a good experience."
"I see. And where are you from?" He asked cordially.
"California - it's a state on the western coast of the United States of America. How long have you lived in Japan?" I asked him.
"All my life, actually, but I've always wanted to visit America," he replied. I smiled.
"Well, if you're ever in California, feel free to stop by!" I said as we rounded a corner and walked past a tiny alley where two cats sat, placidly watching the street. One was white, and one was black, and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a crescent moon on each of their foreheads.
After we had passed, the black cat leaned over to the white one.
"Artemis, did you feel that?" She whispered.
"Are you kidding? It felt like a bolt of lightning!" He replied. "Who is she, and how does Darien know her?" He asked. The other cat shrugged.
"I'm sure I don't know, but I have a feeling we should keep an eye on her," she said. Artemis nodded.
"I'm bet you're right, Luna. Let's follow them." The two cats walked casually out of the alley and followed the walking couple down the street behind far enough not to catch the attention of the two but just within earshot.
"Well, here we are. Hemingway and Cherry," Darien was saying.
"Thank you so much, sir! I don't know how to repay you - I probably would never have gotten home without your help."
"It's no problem at all. But there is one way you can repay me - what's your name?" He asked.
"My name is Celeste," I said, smiling. "Celeste Stevens. And what is your name?" I asked.
"Darien Shields," he replied. "Well, I'll see you later, Celeste."
"Wait a second!" I protested. "You don't think I'm just going to let you walk away like that, do you? Here is my aunt and uncle's telephone number. Call me when you get a chance and I'll treat you and your girlfriend - if you have one - to lunch or dinner as a thank you." I said. Darien smiled and accepted the slip of paper.
"Thank you very much, Celeste. I certainly will call you and we will set something up. I do have a girlfriend, but I doubt you want to treat her to lunch or dinner!" I paused.
"Really? Why?" I asked. Darien laughed.
"Oh, no reason, really. Just the fact that Serena's a bottomless pit! She eats everything in sight - and often more!" I laughed.
"In that case, I think we'll get along well! Good day, Darien, and thank you once again," I said and disappeared into the flat.
Darien immediately whirled around on the two cats.
"All right, what are you guys doing following me around?" He demanded. The cats stepped back, startled, but readily defended themselves.
"There is something about her, Darien! You two passed us in the street and the vibes she gave off were so strong even Artemis felt it," Luna said.
"There's something about her, Darien. You should watch out," Artemis chimed in. Darien sighed.
"You two cats are nuts. She seemed perfectly normal to me and I think she and Serena would get along great! But if you want to harbor judgmental suspicions, go right ahead," he said and stalked off down the street. Luna sighed and shook her head.
"I'll keep an eye on her if you go tell Mina where I am," Artemis offered. Luna looked at him gratefully.
"Oh, Artemis, would you? Thank you very much. Of course, I'll be off to tell Mina right away." She said, and trotted down the street in the opposite direction from where they came. Artemis looked around and spotted a gate going into the backyard of the small house that Celeste had disappeared into. He hopped over the fence and took a good look at the backyard. There was a tall tree growing up close to the house, and several of its branches were right next to the windows of the second story. He climbed the tree and peered into the window.
Celeste was just walking into the room. She shut the door and put her purse on the bed, then picked up a book from her bedside table and carried it over to her desk. Sitting down, she picked up a pencil and began to write.
<<Nothing unusual,>> Artemis thought. <<Not yet, anyways. But she does send out the weirdest vibes. She must be from the NegaVerse. There isn't any other explanation.>> Celeste continued writing for a while, then, when the sun began to set, put down her pencil and stretched her arms. She stood up and walked over to the window. Artemis gasped and tried to hide between a bunch of leaves, but Celeste spotted him.
"Oh, you poor little cat! Are you all right? Oh, you must be trapped in the tree, you poor thing!" I exclaimed. Artemis let out a little meow of self - pity as I leaned out my window and scooped him up. I turned and set him down on the bed.
"There you go. You're all right now, little guy!" I said, and scratched his head. Suddenly I noticed the crescent moon on his forehead.
"What is this?" I asked, laying a finger on it. A flash of light brightened the room, I shrieked, and Artemis dimly saw a crescent moon identical to his own but for a circle around it light up on my forehead. He let out a yowl and scampered off the bed and over to the window. He jumped out the window, into the tree, climbed down and escaped. I watched him go, stunned. I sat down weakly on my bed, shaking my head.
"What on earth was that?" I wondered out loud. "Must have been my imagination." I decided, but I didn't have long to think about it because the phone began to ring shrilly. I stood up to get it, but before I had picked it up, I heard my aunt call from downstairs.
"Celeste! Some guy on the telephone says he'd like to speak with you! Says his name is Darien or something." I smiled happily and picked up the phone, thoughts of the white cat temporarily banished.
The next day, Darien, his girlfriend, Serena, and I met on the corner of Broadway and 2nd. Serena was a girl of roughly my age, and she wore odangoes on either sides of her head trailing off into long blonde pigtails. She had blue eyes and definitely did not look Japanese. I smiled and shook her hand as Darien introduced me.
"Celeste, this is my girlfriend Serena. Serena, this is Celeste, who I helped find her way home yesterday."
"Glad to meet you," I said. Serena smiled.
"I'm happy to meet you, too," she said.
"All right, well I have made reservations for lunch at 12:30 at the Cherry Club, which is just down the street. Come on," I said, and we began walking down the street.
"So what's this Cherry Club like?" I asked. "Is it good? I just made reservations because I read about it yesterday morning in the paper."
"I don't know anything about it, except that its mostly seafood," Serena said.
"Well, its quite a new restaurant, actually. Its just been built, so I don't think anyone knows much about it," Darien commented. When we reached the restaurant, the waiter seated us at a table outside in the sun. I excused myself to use the rest room, and Darien leaned towards Serena.
"So what do you think of her?" He asked. Serena thought.
"She seems really nice, but I don't know her very well. I'm sure if we spent time together, I'd really like her." She said. Darien nodded, and opened his mouth to say something when he was interrupted by a black cat jumping up on the table.
"Luna?" He said blankly.
"Luna!" Serena exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"
"Serena, I have something very important to tell you. Darien met this girl yesterday and when they walked by Artemis and I both felt very weird vibes - bad vibes - omitting from her direction. Artemis offered to keep an eye on her and I haven't heard a word from him! Also, when this place opened last week, I noticed a very strange aura coming from the kitchens. It is extremely possible - and very likely - that this person has led you into a trap!" Darien shook his head, and Serena frowned at the cat.
"Luna, every time I meet someone new you interfere with my friendship. It really bothers me and - and - and just leave me alone!" She squealed. Luna began to rebuke her when Artemis appeared.
"Luna!" He exclaimed, just as she said "Artemis?"
"Luna, I've been looking everywhere for you! That girl isn't - she's not who you think it is at all!" He began just as a terrified scream came from inside the building. Serena and Darien exchanged glances, then jumped up and ran into a nearby alley. Seconds later, Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask emerged. They sprinted for the restaurant and ran inside.
Inside, a crablike youma had a young man caught between two claws. The youma began laughing insanely just as I emerged from the bathroom behind her. Not even knowing what I was doing, I picked up a wine bottle from a nearby table and smashed it over its head, knocking the youma down and making it release its prey. Serena and Darien stopped, amazed. I, too, was somewhat dazed at what I had done, but I shook my head and reached for a plate, presumably to hit the youma with as well. But the youma was standing up again.
"Who are you?" It growled. "No matter, you have as much energy as any human," it said, and grabbed me around the waist with its humongous crab-like claws. I screamed out loud and began kicking wildly. I brought the plate down on the youma's head, but it shook it off and began laughing again. It brought me closer and closer to its gaping mouth when suddenly a bright flash of light filled the room, blinding the youma and all the customers in the restaurant, but faded just in time for Serena, Darien, Luna and also Artemis to see the crescent moon encircled by a golden line on my forehead. The youma dropped me, surprised, and I fainted clean away.
"What the -" it growled, just as Sailor Moon decided it would be a good time to step in.
"Stop right there!" She called out.
"What now?" The youma said as it spun around, bewildered.
"I am Sailor Moon! I was made to right wrongs and destroy evil! And that means you!" she said, pointing the Moon Scepter at the youma.
"Moon Spiral Heart Attack!" She called out, and dusted the youma. She and Tuxedo Mask ran over to me. Luna was right behind them.
"Is she all right?" Sailor Moon asked anxiously.
"I think so," Luna said, looking at me. "But we need to get her somewhere safe. We should go to your place, Darien, it's closest."
"Right," Darien said, bending down and picking her up. "Who is she?" He wondered.
"Wouldn't we all like to know," Artemis said dryly, and they all hurried off down the street.
It wasn't long before I was laid out on Darien's bed, a cool washcloth on my forehead. Serena and Darien stood by anxiously, and shortly I opened my eyes. I saw Darien, Serena, and also another girl, my age, with blue eyes and - I thought it was my imagination, but her hair matched her eyes exactly.
"Huh - where am I?" I asked groggily, trying to sit up." Who are you?" I asked the girl. Darien laughed and pushed me back down.
"This is our friend, Amy Anderson. You need to slow down! Someone as heroic as you deserves her rest!" He said. I frowned.
"Heroic? What did I do?" I asked.
"Well, you smashed a wine bottle over a monster's creepy head," Serena reminded me. I thought a moment.
"Oh, yes . . ." I said. "I remember now. What was that thing?" I asked. Serena and Darien exchanged glances. So did Luna and Artemis.
"Celeste, you are . . . someone other than Celeste. Artemis and I don't know who, but you certainly are someone very powerful. To find out who you really are, you need to let Amy get a reading on you. Lie back down please, close your eyes, open your heart and mind, and relax." I was stunned.
"Did . . .did I just hear you speak?! You are a cat! Cats aren't supposed to speak," I protested.
"Well, Luna and I both do," Artemis said crossly. "So just do what she tells you to."
"Oh . . . okay . . ." I said uncertainly, lying down on the bed and closing my eyes. Luna sprang up on the bed and settled herself down next to me as Amy pulled out a little blue computer with a strange symbol on it and began pushing buttons. Before long, I found myself drifting off to sleep.
I was dreaming. Never before had I had such vivid and powerful dreams. The dreams had no sound and were more like a series of quick flashes of different scenes than dreams. I saw a beautiful, tall, brown haired woman springing in front of a silver haired lady wearing a crown, taking a bolt of lightning full in the chest for her. I saw a younger girl of about ten or eleven - myself? - running over to the fallen lady and crying over her body as the white haired woman cradled me in her arms. I saw my younger self at a funeral, supposedly for the same woman, and the white haired lady with a crown approaching me with a younger girl my own age in tow. The white haired lady bent down so that she was eye level with me and said something. I managed a trembling smile and I nodded my head and walked off with the lady.
The next vision was of me at the same age, perhaps a bit older, and in a strange uniform. I wore red knee high boots with spiked heels and a white mini skirt with orange and pink trim. My skirt had an orange bow in the back, and my shirt had a sailor - like pink collar and an orange bow on my chest. I wore gloves trimmed in pink and a golden tiara with a red jewel on my forehead. I was reaching for something that looked like a long stick or a staff when everything suddenly faded into blackness. My eyes snapped open and I abruptly sat up, making the black cat fall off the bed.
"Oh - sorry," I said. The cat shook her head.
"Don't worry about it."
"Well, I had a bit of difficulty at first, but then you relaxed and it was much easier. I am very surprised - we all thought you were long dead. It turns out that you are the long lost Sailor Sun." Amy announced. Artemis frowned, Serena gasped, and Darien looked up, startled.
"Sailor Sun? That's impossible!" He cried. I looked at them.
"What? What are you all talking about? I am Celeste Stevens, not something-or -other Sun. You guys are all nuts. I'm out of here," I said, shaken. I stood up and left the apartment building.
"Well, that was abrupt," Artemis commented. Luna looked at him reproachfully.
"Its not easy accepting you're a Sailor Scout. Even Serena had trouble with it at first. But she is definitely Sailor Sun, and she probably denies it because she has more horrible memories than any of the other scouts."
"Sailor Sun?" Serena said. "Wasn't she my playmate when I was younger, during the Silver Millennium?" Luna nodded.
"Well, she was, but she was also your sworn protector. Unfortunately, she never really got a chance to protect you, because she was stolen from us by an evil force long ago. We all assumed she was dead, but I suppose she escaped. Never worry; she'll come about soon enough. Come along, Serena, its time we went home."
I stormed home. I didn't know why I was so angry. It was just bizarre, talking cats telling me I was the 'long lost Sailor Sun' or whatever it was the cat was saying. Plus, my head hurt like someone had dropped ten anvils on it. I stumbled home and collapsed in bed.
Much to my distress, I began dreaming again as soon as my head hit the pillow. I was walking in a sunlit rose garden in my regular clothes, appreciating the beautiful day and the wonderful perfume of the flowers. Suddenly, a tall woman shimmered into being in front of me. I stopped in my tracks. She was tall and had long emerald hair - in fact, her hair reached past her super short miniskirt. She wore an outfit very similar to the one I had worn in my visions, except in different colors - black, mostly. But the thing that most attracted my attention was what she held in her hand. It was a long, silver staff that resembled a key, and it was easily as tall as she was - maybe taller. The staff - key? - had a beautiful design set on top of it. The woman approached me.
"Celeste Stevens!" She said. "I am Sailor Pluto, Keeper of Time. The time has come for you to learn of your destiny."
"Excuse me?" I asked.
"Be still! Let me explain," she said coldly. "You are a member of the Sailor Scouts. Whether you like it or not, you are one of us. You are a Senshi, a Scout, a Sailor, and you must accept it! You are Sailor Sun, and it is critical that you embrace your destiny." She said, her quiet voice taking on a surprising likeness to thunder.
"You are Sailor Sun, Princess of the Sun and Protector of the Moon, as your mother was and her mother before her," she continued.
"My mother -" I began.
"Is not who you think she is! Don't interrupt! Long ago, your mother died for the mother of who is now Sailor Moon." A sudden vision of Serena entered my head.
"Serena!" I gasped. Sailor Pluto nodded coldly.
"Yes. Your mother was Queen of the Sun, and although she was before the time of the Sailor Scouts, she and all the other Queens - Queens Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and my mother, Queen Pluto, all had a duty to Queen Serenity; Queen of the Moon. And yet their duty was to help her fight, not to protect her as your duty is. You are to protect Sailor Moon, who will later become Neo - Queen Selenity, at all costs. If you must sacrifice your very own life for hers, so be it. It is how your mother died, and many other Sun Queens before her. If you refuse your destiny, the world is doomed," she said. Another vision entered my head, one that chilled me to the bone. A vision of my very planet, Earth, but no lush green continents and sparkling blue seas. The entire surface of my world was volcanic - blackened, and smoking, with deep cracks in the earth, lava welling up in them like blood in a fresh wound. Bleeding - my planet, bleeding, dying. I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the terrible picture, and finally it went away. I looked up with tears in my eyes at Sailor Pluto.
"Very well," I whispered.
"Sailor Sun, awaken," she said, and touched my forehead. There was a flash of light, and I woke up, finding myself in bed at my aunts house in Japan. My first instinct was to shake it all off as a dream, but in my heart I knew that my vision had told me the truth.
"So I am Sailor Sun," I mused. "But how do I know for sure?" I wondered.
"I could tell you," a laughing voice said. I jerked up to find a tan colored cat with a crescent moon on his forehead sitting on my bed.
"Did you . . . say something?" I asked.
"Of course I did. My name is Hermes - I'm the messenger cat. I used to work for Sailor Pluto, but only behind the scenes kind of things. But she just told me that I am actually your guardian, Sailor Sun."
"Oh . .OK," I said slowly.
"Oh yes," the cat continued, as if just remembering something. "Sailor Pluto asked me to give you these," he said, and bounded up to me, touching a paw to my forehead at exactly the place where Sailor Pluto had touched me. All of a sudden I was filled with visions, thoughts and pictures.
"What is it?" I asked in a whisper.
"Your memories," Hermes said gravely.
My earliest memory was toddling along a grassy lawn filled with sunflowers. I was perhaps four or five. I stumbled and fell over, and took the opportunity to marvel at a beetle trundling through the grass. Suddenly a slender pair of arms picked me up.
"Up you go, little one," she said, smiling at me. I recognized her instantly - this was my mother, the Queen of the Sun.
"Come with Mommy now, to meet your new playmates," she said. "They will be such fun! and as you grow up you will get to play with them more and more," she said, putting me down. I reached for her hand and put my thumb in my mouth. I looked up and saw a magnificent castle, with a small crowd of people sitting and walking around in the large courtyard in front of it. There was a small group of girls who seemed to be about my age. My mother led me over to them.
"Now, Celeste, this is Princess Mercury, Princess Venus, Princess Mars, Princess Jupiter, Princess Saturn, Princess Uranus, Princess Neptune, Princess Pluto, and the Princess of the Moon." I noticed that Princesses Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto was several years older than us and looked very bored.
"Hi," I said shyly.
"Hi!" most of the girls responded, some more shy than others. I turned around to watch my mother leave, but she didn't go far. She walked over to a beautiful lady with white hair and bowed deeply to her. But the lady with silvery hair laughed and shook her head and said something I couldn't hear, and then embraced my mother like they were sisters.
"Why is your Mommy hugging my Mommy?" a girl with her blonde hair in pigtails asked me.
"Is that your mom?" I asked her. She nodded. "I dunno," I said.
"What's your name?" She asked.
"Celeste," I replied. "What's yours?" The little girl smiled.
"I'm Serena. Come and meet my friends!" She said, and grabbed my hand.
"This is Princess Mercury," she said, introducing me to a shy looking girl with blue hair cropped short.
"Please, call me Amy," she said.
"OK. You can call me Celeste," I said.
"This is Princess Venus," she said, moving on to a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes - it surprised me how similar she and Serena looked.
"Hi! I'm glad to meet you - call me Mina!" She said happily. She didn't seem shy at all. I waved but barely had time to because Serena had moved on.
"This is Princess Mars," she said, introducing me to a girl with long black hair and brown eyes.
"Hi! please call me Rei," she said.
"This is Princess Jupiter," she said, standing next to a girl with brown hair like mine, but darker.
"Hi, Celeste!" she said. "You can call me Lita."
"This is Princess Saturn," Serena was saying, showing me a girl with short black hair. I didn't have time to get her name because she was moving on - I later learned it to be Hotaru.
"These are Princesses Uranus and Neptune," she said, introducing me to a girl with short blonde hair cut like a boy's and a girl with long green hair.
"Hi! I'm Michelle, and this is Amara," the girl with green hair said.
"I'm Celeste," I said.
"That over there is Princess Pluto," Serena said. "Princess Setsuna. She's too old to play with us."
"Did you know all these people before today?" I asked her. she giggled.
"No, we met about ten minutes ago. Come on, lets have races!" she said, and started running off (she didn't go far before she tripped and fell down, successfully ruining the whole front of her long dress with grass stains).
Serena and I became closer and closer friends. We saw each other very often, because my mother had to be with her mother at almost all times. I even became close to her mother as well, and she treated me like I was her own daughter. We saw the other Princesses, too, but we didn't see them as much so we weren't quite as close. I was beginning to see why my mother was such good friends with Queen Serenity. Serena and I told each other everything. We knew absolutely everything there was to know about each other - from our favorite colors to our secret crushes. But when I reached the age of seven, my mother revealed something very important to me.
I had just come in from a nice long walk through the palace gardens when my mother called for me. Of course I obliged - I was happy to; my mother and I had been very close.
"Yes, mama?" I asked.
"Celeste, dear, its time for you to learn something." she paused.
"Yes?" I prompted.
"Well, you are very close to Serena, as I am with her mother," she continued. "But when you get older, you and all the other princesses will become Sailor Scouts. This means that you will become heroines of a sort, destined to protect the innocent from the evil that is growing larger and larger every day." For a moment a shadow crossed her face. "Serena will be Sailor Moon, your leader, just as when she becomes Neo -Queen Serenity she will be your leader. Princess Mercury will be Sailor Mercury, Princess Venus will be Sailor Venus, and so on."
"Will I be Sailor Sun?" I asked. My mother paused.
"Yes, that is who you will be known as. But although your title is the same as the other Scouts, your duty is entirely different. While the other Scouts are destined to help Sailor Moon defeat evil, it is your destiny to protect her at all costs. At all costs," she emphasized. "Even at the cost of your very own life."
I paused. Would I - could I sacrifice my life to save Serena, my life time companion? Before I could even finish asking myself this question I knew the answer was yes. I loved Serena like a sister, and of course I would die for her should the need came. And, should it be necessary, I would protect her mother as well.
"Is that why you are with Queen Serenity so much?" I asked her. She nodded.
"Okay," I said.
"Okay what?" my mother asked, curious.
"Okay, I'll be Sailor Sun. Of course I'll protect Serena. If I need to, I will die for her. Its why I was born." I said. My mother smiled and gave me a hug.
"In that case," she said "Its time for your training."
And so I began the long and tedious path to becoming a Sailor Scout. I took extensive training in physical combat and at the same time learned of strategy, warfare, and most importantly, how to protect the Princess and Queen of the Moon. I trained for three years, and at the age of ten, I went to a ceremony.
At the ceremony were all the other Princesses - Princess Mercury, Princess Venus, Princess Mars, Princess Jupiter, Princess Saturn, Princess Uranus, Princess Neptune, Princess Pluto, and of course, the Princess of the Moon. All of my friends wore formal dresses, the color of which according to their kingdom. Pale blue for Mercury, orange for Venus, red for Mars, green for Jupiter, dark blue for Saturn, yellow for Uranus, pale green for Neptune, and purple for Pluto. Serena and I both wore white dresses, though mine had red, orange, and pink trim and details while hers had none at all. We all wore tiaras with the symbol of our planet formed in our birthstones. Starting with Pluto, and going down in accordance with the solar system, we were called up to the front and handed out transformation sticks and told our powers. Some of the girls like Setsuna and Hotaru got Scepters and such, but mostly, the rest of us didn't get anything special. When the Princess received the transformation stick, she did her first ever transformation for the entire court. It was a very moving experience. My heart beat louder and louder at every name called out. Finally, after Sailor Mercury had transformed, my trainer smiled and called out my name.
"Princess Celeste of the Sun, please step forward," she said. With trembling knees I stood up and walked to the podium. I saw Serena give me an encouraging smile, and I returned it as best I could. My trainer laid a hand on my shoulder.
"Princess Celeste has been an excellent student. She has studied and trained hard and devoted the past three years of her life to becoming a Sailor Scout. And I say with great pride and happiness that she is indeed qualified to becoming the warrioress by the name of Sailor Sun." She said as she picked up a box and handed it to me. "Open it," she said.
I did as she bid and found a sparkling diamond heart shaped crystal on a golden chain. My trainer took it from me and held it up so that everyone could see it, although the crystal could not have been bigger than my pinkie - finger nail.
"This is the powerful Sun Crystal," she said, and she placed it back in my hand.
"It has many powers, not the least of which being able to transform Princess Celeste into Sailor Sun. Now, Celeste, hold up the crystal and say 'Sun Crystal Power,'" she said. I held up the charm in both hands above my head and called out the words she had bid me to.
"Sun Crystal Power!!" I said and I felt a warmth encircle me as I crossed my hands over my chest and stood up straight as I rose into the air and begun to spin. The Sun Crystal hovered above my head, and as I raised my hands, gloves materialized. I clasped my hands in a streamlined position and bent over backwards, raising my right leg up into the air. Boots appeared. I straightened out, and brought my hands slowly down to my sides. As I did so, I felt the rest of my fuku - save the tiara and choker - take shape. I raised my hands again, clasped the Sun Crystal, felt my tiara and choker materialize, and brought it down to my throat. It fastened itself to my choker, and I completed my first ever transformation with two words:
"Sailor Sun!" I said. I looked down at my outfit with interest. I wore red knee high boots with spiked heels. I wore a white mini skirt trimmed with orange and pink. My bodice was white and I had orange bows at my back and on my chest, fastened in the middle with a circular pink brooch. I wore white gloves that reached my elbows, trimmed in pink, and my sailor-type collar was pink as well. My tiara was like the other scouts, but the crystal was a ruby. My choker necklace was red and it had a gold sun pin at the front, containing the tiny Sun Crystal. My hair - which had been down before my transformation - was now put up on a sweeping bun that was held with two hair sticks - one with a sun sign set over it, one with a moon sign set over it, both with amazingly clear decorative crystals. There was applause from the audience and I did a little bow of thanks. My trainer smiled at me.
"Here are your commands," she said. "These will defend you and protect you and others. They are all we know for sure, but we are certain that more will come to you as your career progresses. Thank you, Sailor Sun. You may step down."
I gripped the paper tightly and moved back to where the other scouts stood. They gave me smiles and little waves, and even Amara gave me an approving glance. We all watched intently as Serena approached, red in the face and obviously very nervous. Her transformation was probably the best of all of us, and we all were awed.
After the ceremony was over, we all unrolled our slips of paper. Mine read:
DEFENSE: PROTECTION:
-Shimmering Sunlight Attack -Sun Crystal Solar Shield
-Solar Eclipse* -Sun Crystal Healing Solar Power
*Must be used in coordination with Sailor Moon, and only in extreme need
"Ground Shaking," Sailor Uranus mused. "Wonder what that is?"
" Shine Aqua Illusion?" Sailor Mercury wondered.
"Hey, Celeste," Serena said. "Look, we have a command together. Wonder what it does?" She said. I shrugged.
"Don't ask me!" I said.
After that ceremony all the Sailor Scouts and I left the Moon for the Earth, where we would be training together for the next three years of our lives. We were all excited, but for some reason I found myself apprehensions as I bid good bye to my mother.
"Good bye, Mother," I said. "Come and visit whenever you can," I said. She hugged me fondly.
"Of course I will, honey. Have fun and do your job well," She said. I nodded and returned her hug. I felt a sour feeling rising from my stomach - and not for me, for my mother. Why should I be worried about her? She is perfectly capable of taking care of herself, I told myself. But I gave her an extra squeeze anyways.
"Be careful," I told her, and headed over to the group of scouts that waited for me. They were all excited and talking happily about the next three years, but for some reason I couldn't shake off my feeling of apprehension. I walked over to Serena, who was talking happily with Sailor Venus.
"I hope they have good food there," she was saying. I tapped her on the shoulder.
"Hey, Celeste!" She said excitedly, then noticed the concern on my face. "Celeste, what's wrong?" She asked. I started to talk when I heard a piercing shriek from behind me. We all whirled around and saw a black cloud forming just above the podium. One of the court members had fainted clean away and someone - Queen Jupiter, I think - was trying to revive her. I saw my mother rush over to Queen Serenity and I followed her suit by standing slightly in front of Serena. I saw Queen Pluto, Queen Mars, and Queen Venus approach us. They stood in front of us like a body guard, glaring at the black cloud that was forming. Suddenly a dark, shadowy form appeared, too dark for me to really see what it was. A chilling laughter rang out from the dark cloud, and my mother and Queen Serenity stepped forward.
"Begone!" Queen Serenity said, reaching for something hidden in the folds of her dress. "You are not wanted here!" She said, and lifted her hand. A blast of white lightning shot out, but it only disappeared into the black cloud. My mother held up both her hands and a deafening boom filled the courtyard. The cloud shook and the laughter faltered but it did not cease.
"I'm sorry, Queen Serenity. You'll have to do better than that!" and a tornado of black lightning sped towards my mother and Serena's mother. They jumped out of the way, and I tried to run forwards to help my mother protect Queen Serenity, but I found Queen Venus standing in front of me.
"No, Celeste!" She cried. I almost began weeping.
"It's my duty!" I said. Why was she trying to stop me?
"No, no! This is between your mother, Queen Serenity, and the NegaVerse. It's not yet your time!" She said, holding me back. I watched, as tears threatened to fall, as a bolt of dark energy blasted towards Queen Serenity. My mother jumped in front of her, taking the blast for herself. I screamed as I saw her body fall to the ground. Later I did not remember seeing Queen Serenity banish the evil cloud, I would only remember wrenching free of Queen Venus's arms and running to my fallen mother.
"Mommy," I whimpered, hugging her hand to my chest. Her eyelids flickered, and she opened her eyes.
"Celeste," she whispered. "Be strong, like I know you are," she whispered, and her eyes closed. I screamed again and threw myself upon her, hugging her tightly.
"Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, please don't leave me," I cried. I felt someone pick me up and hug me tightly to her chest. I felt a teardrop hit my hand, and I looked up to see whose it was. Queen Serenity was weeping also, silently, as she clutched me to her chest. She rocked me back and forth, trying to calm herself as much as me.
Our departure for Earth was delayed for my mother's burial. I stood in the front row and watched as they lowered the coffin into the ground. I wasn't crying then, but instead I felt an emptiness well up within me that was too large to let loose by crying. I shut my eyes tightly as they began shoveling the soil on top of her coffin, remembering the good times my mother and I had together. I felt a delicate hand land softly on my shoulder, and I turned to see the solemn face of Queen Serenity looking down at me. I saw Serena standing just behind her.
"Celeste," she said. "I am so sorry about your mother. She meant as much to me as she did to you. And so as a token of gratitude to her, I was wondering if after the next three years on Earth you would return with Serena to the Moon Kingdom and live with us." I drew in a deep, shuddering breath and looked over at Serena's tearstained face. I managed a shaky smile and nodded my head. I didn't trust my voice. Queen Serenity enfolded me in another tight hug, and we both began to cry again.
It was a long three years before I saw the Moon Kingdom again. The years were, for the most part, fun; I was with my very good friends and learning a lot about what I needed to learn. I met my guardian, Hermes, for the first time there, as Serena met Luna and Mina met Artemis. We learned so much during those three years there, and not just about schooling and battling. Sure, we learned how to unleash a joint attack upon a very powerful enemy and things along that line, but we also learned about leadership and friendship and loyalty.
When it was time for us to leave the school we were at, we all felt like different people. We all felt more grown up, more sophisticated, more mature, even though we were only fourteen - except for Setsuna, Sailor Pluto, who was a lot older than us in more ways than one. But when I saw the Moon Kingdom for the first time in three years, all my childhood memories and emotions came flooding back to me, and I remembered that I wasn't only Sailor Sun, Warrioress and Protector of the Moon, but I was also Celeste - a young girl who was worried about her duties as Princess of the Sun.
It was good to see Queen Serenity and my father, the King of the Sun, again. I hadn't realized how much I missed them while I was at school. But when we returned there was a huge feast and banquet, and we all celebrated for many days and nights as ourselves, not as the Sailor Scouts, for the first time in a long time.
We had returned just in time. A month or so after we graduated from the Sailor Academy - as we called it - there was an attack on Venus. We all hurried to the planet as fast as we possibly could, and found most of the Venus Empire in smoking ruins. The castle, however, somehow remained standing, and we rushed to the battle as fast as we could.
We won the battle much easier than everyone thought we would. For a demon so powerful he could destroy the entire Venus Empire, we certainly defeated him easily. It made us all wonder how powerful we really were.
I began to learn new commands and I even found new weapons. By my second battle I had gained the Sun Scepter - a marble wand the size of the Moon Scepter, set with a glass sun on top of it. The Sun Scepter had several new commands - Sun Scepter Comet Chain Encircle, Sun Scepter Super Solar Shield, and Sun Scepter Shimmering Sunlight Attack, which was nearly twice as powerful as the Sun Crystal Shimmering Sunlight was. Then, when Queen Beryl attacked the kingdom on Mars, another new weapon was created. This weapon - least of all - helped me transform into Super Sailor Sun, a feat most of the Sailors had already accomplished. This weapon was a long staff, made of gold and with an intricate design of the sun and moon set on top of it. This weapon was the Solar Staff, and it was very powerful indeed. But I hardly had time to learn how to use it, because something happened that changed my life forever.
The battles with Queen Beryl began in earnest. We fought time and time again - and won again and again and again. That is, we won until she tried to attack the Sun Kingdom, which was completely unexpected. But attack us she did, and at a time when we weren't prepared for her. We were tired from our last battle against the NegaVerse and so the Queens of the Sol Solar System had to become involved as well. I, particularly, was exhausted, because of holding the Eternal Solar Shield (Created by the Solar Staff) for a long period of time during our last battle. Even so, I did my best to protect the Queen and Sailor Moon. Unfortunately, my best wasn't good enough.
I had just barely commanded the Sun Crystal Solar Shield to protect the Queens, the Sailors and I from Queen Beryl when what seemed like an entire army appeared behind her. We knew then that this battle would be long and bloody, and none of us were looking forward to it. I knew that the Solar Shield wouldn't be strong enough to hold up against that, so I took out my Sun Scepter and created the Super Solar Shield. I placed the Scepter on the ground, but standing upright so that the protective rays could still create protection. Hermes called up the Solar Staff for me, and I quickly transformed into Super Sailor Sun - the other Sailors followed my suit. Super Sailor Moon stepped forward, brandishing her Spiral Moon Rod.
"Queen Beryl, go away!" She cried. "This is your last warning!" Queen Beryl merely laughed. "Ha! You think you can scare me away with mere words, Sailor Moon? Really, I expected much better of you!" Super Sailor Jupiter and Super Sailor Uranus stepped forward.
"Jupiter Oak Evolution!"
"Space Sword Blaster!"
Several of the very weak youma immediately disintegrated, and Super Sailor Venus jumped in.
"Love and Beauty Shock!" She yelled.
"Mars Flame Sniper!" Mars was right behind her, and another score of youmas fell. Super Sailor Mercury and Super Sailor Neptune were eager to get involved as well.
"Submarine Reflection!"
"Mercury Aqua Rhapsody!"
Another score down, another thousand to go. But we tried not to get discouraged. We bombarded them so quickly they couldn't fight back.
" Pluto Deadly Scream!"
"Silence Glaive Surprise!" With these powerful commands, another forty fell back, dead or severely wounded. The Queens gathered in a circle and joined hands. A sudden burst of energy shot out of the center of the circle where Queen Serenity stood, knocking another hundred down. Super Sailor Moon and I stepped forward.
"Solar Staff Shimmering Sunlight Attack!"
"Rainbow Moon Heart Attack!" We cried in union, and another forty fell. The other scouts stepped forward as the enemy pressed in closer. I concentrated and increased the power of the Solar Shield. Their attacks were absorbed and gave us all more energy, but there were too many of the enemies. The Sailor Scouts all called out their attacks at the same time, and the effect was equal to the effort of the Queens, who were regrouping and attacked right after the Scouts. Serena approached me.
"Celeste, we have to use the Eclipse! Put down the Staff for a moment!"
"We can't! It takes too much energy!" I protested.
"We have to!"
I nodded, and set the Staff in the ground, so that the Shield wouldn't collapse. I pulled out my hair sticks and handed the one with the crescent moon on it to her while I held on tightly to the one with the sign of the Sun. We raised our hands and spun the sticks in the air like batons.
"Solar . . . . . ECLIPSE!!!" We yelled out, and touched the sticks together, Moon crossing the Sun. An unbelievably powerful bolt of energy poured out from the sticks, and we slowly turned in a circle, mowing down any and all youmas who were within range of the powerful beam. The Scouts and the Queens quickly backed us up, sending their combined Planet Power right after us. Serena and I kept the Eclipse going as long as possible, but I could feel both of us weakening. Suddenly it flickered and both Serena and I collapsed. The Sun Shield flickered as well, and it disintegrated shortly after I did. The Queens and Scouts immediately surrounded us in a circle, even though they were exhausted, and there were still several of the most powerful youmas left. I struggled to stand up.
"Hermes!" I cried. "Bring me my Staff!" My guardian complied instantly, and I grasped the Staff with shaking hands. I felt totally drained from my Solar Eclipse, but I knew I had to protect the Moon Princess as well as Queen Serenity. I took Queen Serenity's place in the circle, placing her in the center, where she would be safest. Not knowing from where the words came from, I raised the Staff over my head, and spun it in a circle, yelling out as I did so.
"Glowing . . . Sun . . .Super . . .Nova!!!" I felt my staff shudder and all my energy drain as my Sun Scepter and Sun Crystal appeared and merged with the Staff, creating a new weapon as a strobe light seemed to omit from it. At each flicker of light, another youma died, seemingly not mattering how powerful it was. The flashes grew weaker and weaker, and once again I collapsed, as my new weapon faded away and I was left with the Solar Staff at my side. I blinked once, twice, and blacked out.
"Celeste! Celeste, you have to wake up! Please, please wake up!" I slowly opened my eyes and saw a very concerned looking Serena shaking my shoulder.
"Oh, thank goodness you're all right!" She exclaimed. "Can you stand up?" I tried to sit up, but immediately fell over again. I heard the sounds of battle going on somewhere behind Serena. Clasping my brooch, I yelled out.
"Sun Crystal Solar Power!" An intense beam of light shot out of the Sun Crystal and hit an enemy not far away. The beam of light quickly and efficiently drained all of his energy and funneled it into me. When I was completely energized, the youma collapsed, unconscious. I touched my hand to Super Sailor Moon's shoulder and aimed the beam of light at a different enemy, draining his energy and funneling it to Serena. She fell back into battle with a new vigor, and I energized each of the Scouts and Queens in turn. When I reached Queen Serenity, I had come to a decision. After I had energized her - with the help of the Imperium Crystal - I held her back from going into battle.
"Your Highness! This is a losing battle! You all need to teleport back to the Moon Kingdom immediately!" She shook her head.
"Super Sailor Sun, then your palace would be destroyed!"
"No, Queen Serenity, it is protected by my father and many other powerful men and women. It is not this kingdom, but you, and the other Scouts and Queens, who are in danger, and it is my duty to see to it that you are not hurt! now go!" She nodded her head and brushed a loose strand of hair out of her face.
"Sailors! Teleport!" She cried out, and all the Queens and Sailors gathered in a circle. I cast the Eternal Solar Shield over them, and turned my back to fight the enemy. I listened to their mental calls, and wished for a split second that I could go with them. But then my resolve hardened and I gripped the Solar Staff with renewed lust for battle, even though I knew I would die in the end.
"Mercury Star Power!"
"Venus Star Power!"
"Mars Star Power!"
"Jupiter Star Power!"
"Saturn Planet Power!"
"Neptune Planet Power!"
"Uranus Planet Power!"
"Pluto Planet Power!"
"Moon Crystal Power!"
And then, finally, "We are Planet Power! Teleport!"
I knew without looking back that my friends had gone, as I had bid them, and I let the Eternal Solar Shield dissolve. Queen Beryl began laughing.
"You poor fool, can't you see you've surrendered yourself to me?" I didn't answer, but brought my Solar Staff up and down in a sweeping motion.
"Sunbeam Slash!"
But she deflected my attach easily, and shook a finger.
"Tut tut, Super Sailor Sun, you're tired, and that makes you sloppy." She shot a bolt of dark energy at me, which I avoided - barely.
"But if you think I'll go in without a fight, you're sorely mistaken! Enough chit-chat! Solar Staff Shimmering Sunlight Attack!" I called out, this time knocking Queen Beryl aside as well as felling several of the remaining youmas. But I had far from beaten her. As I raised my Staff again, she pointed a finger at the ground below me and a gaping hole appeared, which I fell through, clutching my Staff.
I landed in Queen Beryl's throne room.
"Do you think you've beaten me, Beryl?" I asked her, as she appeared on the throne.
"I know I've beaten you, Super Sailor Sun," she laughed.
"Think again!" I said as a new command entered my head.
"Eternal Solar Shield Sleep!" I cried out, and a Shield appeared around me as I froze where I was, grasping the Solar Staff tightly.
"No!" Queen Beryl cried, and shot a bolt of dark energy at the shield, but it only absorbed the hit. My condition was equivalent to that of a coma, but I could wake myself when I was needed. Hermes had witnessed what happened, and told the Sailors that I had died in the final moments of battle, so that they would not risk a rescue mission. They were sad, I suppose, but eventually gave me up as dead. I stayed like that for how long? Years, decades, centuries? But when the NegaVerse used the convenience of a Lunar Eclipse to attack the Moon Kingdom, I awoke.
The throne room was dark, and empty. I lowered my Staff and blinked as the Shield disappeared, trying to clear my vision. I did not know at the moment how long I had stayed there for or what was happening now, but I did know that something was wrong. I had a terrible nauseating feeling in my stomach, and took a step forward as an ominous laugh filled the courtroom. I paused for a moment, forgetting where I was, but then the memory of the battle filled my head. I raised the staff in a defensive position, and called out angrily.
"Where are you? Who are you?"
"So, the Sailor Of Life has finally awakened from her death-like sleep. Tell me, Super Sailor Sun, how do you feel?" A voice spoke out.
"Good as ever - and eager for battle! Show yourself!"
"Gladly." The voice said, and stepped forward as a light appeared.
"I am Jadeite, Queen Beryl's general. I was made to stay here in case you awoke. Luckily for me, you did . . . unluckily for you, you did."
I was shocked. Jadeite was a general to Queen Serenity, NOT Queen Beryl! One of the most loyal generals we had. Not only that, but he was engaged to Rei, Princess Mars!
"Jadeite, what has happened? Where has your loyalty gone to?" I cried out. He laughed derisively.
"You've missed a lot, Super Sailor Sun. I am now loyal to only Queen Beryl - I follow only her commands! And her latest command was to kill you, so that's what I intend to do!" A terrible anger filled me - one who could not remain loyal to Queen Serenity, the most kind and wonderful Queen in past, present, and future, did not deserve to live.
"How could you? No, don't answer! That's enough talking! Sunbeam Slash!" I yelled, and brought the Staff down in a decisive motion. Jadeite deflected it with a grunt, and laughed.
"Oh, please tell me that's not all you have, Celeste, or I will be most disappointed!" He said as he shot a burst of dark energy at me.
"Sun Crystal Solar Power!" I said, and absorbed the energy from the lightning. "Shimmering Sunlight Attack!" I said, and knocked Jadeite over.
"You're wasting my time!" I growled. "We will finish this later," I said, and raised my hand.
"Sun Crystal Power! Teleport!" I said, and disappeared, leaving Jadeite alone on the throne room floor.
I appeared at what might have once been my room in the Moon Palace - now reduced to a pile of rubble. I dashed wildly through the remains of the Moon Palace, looking anxiously for the scene of the battle. I ran out of the front doors of the Palace and paused. Off in one direction I heard the clash of battle. Looking around wildly, I saw a fallen guard. I grabbed his sword and rushed in the direction of the battle.
I ran for what seemed like ages as the sounds of battle grew louder and louder. Suddenly there was a silence, and as I rounded a corner I heard a voice.
"And above all, you must protect my daughter, Serena!"
"Right!" Two voices responded in unison. Protect her? That was my job! I thought defensively. There was a flash of light, and I looked up to see all of my friends, the Sailor Scouts, curled up in fetal positions, trapped in little balls as they floated up to the sky.
"No!" I cried out, and ran down the path in the direction of the voices, stumbling over rubble and chunks of stone fallen from the once magnificent Moon Palace. When I reached a clearing in the rubble, I saw Queen Serenity lying as though dead on a collapsed pillar. As I watched, the Moon Wand fell from her pale, limp hand.
"Queen Serenity!" I yelled, running to her as she crumpled to the ground. I caught her just before she fell.
"C . . . Celeste?" She whispered. I felt tears well up in my eyes. I had failed! "Celeste! You've finally returned," She said softly, smiling. I shook my head.
"No . . . no! I've failed you." I said. She smiled faintly and touched my cheek.
"No, my sweet, you haven't failed at all. I was destined to die this day. I only weep because you cannot rejoin your friends."
"Maybe I can still save you," I said as I touched my brooch.
"Sun Crystal Solar Power!" I said, and touched a finger to Queen Serenity's crescent moon birthmark. A golden light poured into her, and she relaxed as she felt herself energize.
"Thank you, Sailor Sun. now I can send you to the future with your Sailor Scouts." She said, standing up on wobbly legs. She leaned forward and kissed my forehead.
"Take care of Serena for me," She said, and everything disappeared.
I opened my eyes again, and saw Hermes sitting at the foot of my bed, looking gravely at me.
"So . . . is that all? What happens now?" I asked. He did a backflip and a necklace appeared out of nowhere and dropped onto the bed.
"Here is your Sun Crystal. The other weapons, the Sun Scepter and the Solar Staff, were lost during the voyage to the future, but can be earned back through battle and experience." I took the Sun Crystal and looked at it in wonder. It was on a fine gold chain, and it was heart shaped and diamond - colored.
"So . . . that's it? Next time there's a battle, I just show up?" I said. Hermes thought a moment.
"Well, I need to get a communicator for you. I'll be right back," he said, and disappeared out the window. I frowned after him in puzzlement, and fastened the Sun Crystal around my neck. I laid back down on the bed, staring out the window at the crescent moon, wondering what the morning would bring.