Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tales of Minako and Hotaru ❯ Sailor Moon: Heart and Silence ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sailor Moon: Heart and Silence
 
Minako Aino watched the crowds, a faint smile on the beautiful blonde's face. Her blue eyes were warm as she waited, her simple yet stylish white dress hugging her body like a glove. Out in the mob of dancers she noticed Usagi and Mamoru, moving with a remarkable degree of grace, and had to grin at their honest joy.
 
"So why are we standing here again?" Makoto Kino muttered, the taller girl standing nearby. Her brown hair was still in its traditional ponytail, while her green gown flowed down to just below her strong thighs.
 
Minako just looked amused, "We're being chaperones for those two." She pointedly nodded towards their two friends dancing, "Papa Tsukino wouldn't let Usagi go with Mamoru to the university prom without us."
 
"And here we are, being wallflowers," Makoto shook her head with a sigh.
 
Ami Mizuno pushed her blue hair back, smiling faintly. "It could be worse, you know," she said impishly, "most of the young men here can't dance." Her blue skirt was a off the shoulder number, accented by matching earrings and just a little makeup.
 
"True enough," Minako agreed with a sigh. Her one foot still hurt a little from when the young man had stepped on it, and she suspected Makoto and Ami had similar experiences. "It's so hard to find good dancing partners," she flashed a smile.
 
"Uh oh," Makoto muttered softly, "incoming."
 
The blonde haired young man looked terribly nervous as he approached them and Minako felt a little flash of pity for him. The whole dance felt terribly high school, boys talking in clumps on one side, girls on the other and being under everyone's eyes when you dared to ask someone to dance. It wasn't the most relaxing atmosphere, and it probably didn't help that the three of them were staying here together as a group.
 
'Wonder who he'll go for?' Minako wondered, watching the young boy gazing at them as he tried to clear his throat. He went past her and she felt a flash of irritation at not being chosen, then he smiled hesitantly at Ami.
 
Finally he reached Makoto, the boy sadly shorter than the taller woman. "Kino-san," he nodded shyly, "could I have this dance?" His eyes tended to roam a bit, moving from her face to her generous breasts before he jerked them back up to her face.
 
Obviously Makoto noticed his focus, also clearly she wasn't too pleased by that. Still, she did her best to be diplomatic as she smiled at him insincerely, "I'm really sorry, I promised the next dance to someone else."
 
"Oh, okay," he bobbed his head, walking off a bit stiffly. As the song ended he walked away, occasionally looking back to see who, exactly, Makoto had promised to dance with.
 
"Would one of you care to help," Makoto sighed, "before I look like a complete liar?"
 
Ami chuckled softly, moving to stand in front of Makoto and offering her hand. "May I have this dance?" she asked formally.
 
Makoto took that hand, smiling down at Ami warmly as she murmured, "I'd be honored." They moved out onto the dance floor even as she murmured, "Who gets to lead?"
 
"You," Ami sounded amused, "you're taller."
 
"Great, I get to be butch," Makoto smiled wryly.
 
Minako fought back a giggle at the looks of pure lust that some of the young men who were watching Makoto and Ami moving gracefully together. 'Voyeurs,' she thought with amusement, 'I don't even want to think about what they're imagining.'
 
"Sorry I'm late," the quiet voice said and Minako nearly jumped.
 
Hotaru was smiling just slightly, the younger woman having quietly slipped up behind Minako without her noticing. The teen had refused to change how she usually dressed, wearing a simple black number, but the accents of silver earrings and a shining, heart shaped pendant gave her an elegant sort of grace.
 
"I'm glad you made it," Minako answered warmly, a bit surprised to realize she meant the simple courtesy. Hotaru was a odd pool of calm, her serene presence helping calm Minako's more energetic, wild nature.
 
"Thanks for escorting me," Hotaru said, her eyes grave, "or I doubt papa Haruka would have even let me come."
 
"Is she taking lessons from Usagi's father?" Minako asked as she filled the other girl in.
 
"I just think it's a parent thing," Hotaru nodded wisely. A sudden flash of humor, "Though I think Haruka is taking the father thing a bit far."
 
"As in?" Minako asked curiously.
 
"There's the over protectiveness of course," Hotaru smiled, "and then there was her attempt at giving me the bird's and the bees talk."
 
Minako covered her mouth, trying to hold back a giggle. "What do you mean," she asked, eyes dancing, "attempt?"
 
"She wasn't quite able to go through with it," Hotaru said gravely, "she blushed, stammered, and finally sent me to talk to Michiru." A pause, "Who then sent me to talk to Setsuna."
 
Minako had to laugh, leaning up against the nearest wall as she imagined what that conversation had to have been like. "How did it go?" she asked.
 
"Setsuna pretty much explained the mechanics, yes," Hotaru agreed cheerfully, "as well as covering same sex relationships, too."
 
That made Minako blink a bit, "Did she really think that was necessary?"
 
"It saves Haruka and Michiru from any more embarrassing questions," Hotaru answered wryly and Minako laughed. A bit more seriously she continued, "And I think everyone noticed how intensely I was crushed on Chibi-Usa a few years ago."
 
Minako nodded as she confessed, "I sort of thought that was just a girlhood thing."
 
Hotaru smiled back as she said, "No, more of a lifetime vocation." With self-depreciating humor she continued, "I just have to make sure I don't fall for time traveling girls who are in love with other people again."
 
"That's fair enough," Minako agreed. They stood there a moment watching the dancers, figures energetically moving to the music pulsing around them. "Is there anyone you're crushing on now?" Minako asked. She flashed a smile, "Maybe I can help."
 
Hotaru blushed, "There is someone."
 
When Hotaru didn't continue on she studied the smaller woman thoughtfully, then decided to just let it go. Instead she smiled, pushing her hair back as she nodded to where their friends were dancing, "Care to join them?"
 
"Huh?" Hotaru blinked.
 
Minako offered her hand, the lights from above glistening on her golden hair. "Before one of the clumsy gentlemen decides to mash my poor feet again," she smiled, "would you be willing to share this dance with me?"
 
Hotaru took it, enfolding those delicate fingers as she said, "I'd love to."
 
"Thank you." Minako beamed as they moved out into the press of bodies. Someone switched the track to a slower song and she smiled wryly, "Just our luck."
 
Hotaru took Minako's hands, holding on to her as they swayed. Instinctively Hotaru lead and Minako willingly followed, the taller blonde smiling warmly a the smaller woman. "I hope you don't mind my leading," Hotaru murmured.
 
"It's fine," Minako reassured her. She looked curious, "Where did you learn....?"
 
"Michiru has been teaching me to dance," Hotaru answered her with a smile, "but she's used to following Haruka."
 
"You dance divinely," Minako sighed, relaxing as Hotaru lead them across the floor.
 
'Yes, there's someone that I like,' Hotaru thought as they danced closely together, savoring the feel of the other woman's body so near hers, 'and maybe one day I'll have the courage to tell you, Minako.'
 
End.
 
Notes: Just a drabble on Minako/Hotaru, more or less. The ol' unrequited love thing, with some background Makoto/Ami goodness tossed in for good measure. Not planning a continuation, but with me you never know.....