Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ The Story of Andromeda (A Saint Seiya Fairytale) ❯ Cygnus Finds HImself A Part In The Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shonen-ai warning, Hyoga/Shun pairing. I think they're cute.
Disclaimer: I don't own Saint Seiya, I just like Greek Myths, fairytales, and some kinds of shonen-ai.
 
The Story of Andromeda (A Saint Seiya Fairytale)
Chapter 3: Cygnus Finds Himself A Part In The Story
 
When Hyoga, known to some as Cygnus, landed on the outskirts of Ethiopia, he really wasn't certain what to expect. After all, the kingdom was a large and generally prosperous nation, known for its beautiful ocean views and delightful people. But for this hero, it was merely a stop on his way home to both the kingdom of Seriphus and his mother.
 
He checked the pouch at his side momentarily, making sure his prize was still there. And it was…the severed head of the monster Medusa, as ordered by King Polydectes, safe and sound within a magic pouch.
 
This pouch, as well as the winged slippers that gave him flight, his specially-made sword, and the cap of darkness, which made the wearer invisible, safe in a separate bag, were all gifts from Athena and Hermes. For one reason or another, they'd taken a liking to him and decided to help him out…so he figured he could at least honor the goddess's request to stop by this kingdom on his way back.
 
He removed the winged sandals when he touched ground, trading them with his original pair in favor of walking into the city. What he found was just…a little disturbing.
 
The people of this kingdom were dressed in black. All of them They walked with their heads bowed in sorrow, and even their most cheerful conversation had an air of depression surrounding it. This was an entire kingdom in mourning.
 
Cygnus found this just a little disconcerting. For a household to be in grief over the loss of a child was one thing, but for an entire kingdom to lament at once was almost alarming.
 
He stopped an older man just inside the city to inquire about it. "If you will, sir, tell me…Who is it that the entire city mourns?"
 
The old man eyed him sorrowfully, though his aged eyes did not focus well. "Traveler, our lot is a pitiful one indeed. Tis' our fair Andromeda for whom this kingdom grieves…"
 
Hyoga frowned. "Andromeda?"
 
"Aye." the man sighed. "The greatest beauty in this or any land, a pure flower unsoiled by the hands of men. Oh, but the lady mother, our queen, was far too proud of this…Barely two eves ago, Poseidon's great beast ravaged our fair city, slaying and wounding our greatest warriors. Unless its wrath is to be given again, it is our young princess that must be sacrificed…And the sweet thing has given herself unconditionally for the alter…"
 
Hyoga left him again at this point, making his way through the water-logged streets. Athena was well known as a protector of young women, perhaps this was the reason he had been brought here. He did suppose he owed the battle goddess a favor…
 
"Alright then." he muttered under his breath as he approached the castle. "Let's get a look at this…Andromeda."
 
( - ) ( - ) ( - )
 
The eve of the Kraken's return had come too soon. The night had just set in, with Selene and her stars watching over the kingdom in the darkness. And she watched over, with a special kind of light, the youngest prince of Ethiopia as he slowly made his way down to the shore.
 
The path Shun took from the castle was little-traveled and very discreet. Not many people went down it, as it lead to only one place: A tiny, nigh-deserted beach, hidden from all sight by high, rugged cliffs. It was a place of solitude, for the cleansing of sins… and that was what he traveled there for.
 
Well, partially. They had gone the past two days without informing his ailing brother of the events to come…but Ikki wasn't stupid, and he knew when something was bothering his family. Cepheus Albior was probably breaking the news to him right now, and had thought it best that Shun get out of the castle, just so he wouldn't have to hear his brother's furious shouting full blast.
 
That wasn't to say, however, that he couldn't hear it echoing against the rocks, even from this distance.
 
He removed his sandals, allowing his bare feet to sink several inches into the soft, white sand. Rather slowly, he detached the rest of his outer garments, leaving only a short white tunic that covered his chest and reached his knees. His arms and legs now bare, he waded out into the saltwater, letting it wash around his ankles and splash to his knees.
 
He knelt down with a sigh, cupping the water into his hands to pour over his arms. He looked up longingly at the full moon, wishing he could be taken with it when the sun came.
 
There was a slight noise from behind him.
 
The prince stiffened suddenly, climbing slowly to his feet. He turned, looking back towards the path. "Who's there?"
 
There was no answer, but from the rocks came a sound like the swish of a cloak. He spun around, mussels tensing automatically from training with his father.
 
"I know you're there!" he called hesitantly. "Come out…Show yourself!"
 
There was a noise from directly behind him, much closer this time. The prince let out a slight gasp and reared around, throwing a punch with his right hand.
 
His wrist was caught in a firm grip before it could reach its target. Green eyes found themselves staring into bright, crystal blue ones, shining beneath golden blonde bangs. A slight smirk worked its way over the stranger's lips, a look that almost mirrored his brother.
 
"So. You're not the helpless princess people would assume."
 
Shun shot forward with his left hand, attempting to break the grip on his right, but it too was intercepted. The blonde stranger held both his arms tightly in front of him, crossed over each other at the wrist.
 
"Easy there. I'm not gonna hurt you…"
 
"Let…Let go of me." the prince tried to wrench his arms out of the tight grasp, but the newcomer was too strong. "I said let go!"
 
"Or what?" the blonde asked coyly. "It's obvious you can't fight against me."
 
Shun struggled even harder, trying to break his grip once more. He threw his head back to call for help, but the stranger was quick. He shifted both his wrists into one tight grip, pressing his now-free left hand over the prince's mouth.
 
"If you scream, those guards up at the palace will come running." he said in a low, almost threatening voice. "They might save you now, but tomorrow they'll be taking you in chains. Is that really what you want?"
 
A slight whimper escaped the green-haired boy, either from fear or anxiety. The stranger got just a little closer, whispering in his ear. "I'm going to let you go now. Don't scream, don't fight, don't run away…I just want to speak with you. Alright?"
 
The prince gave a hesitant nod. The stranger smiled, releasing his wrists and removing his hand. Shun took a few steps back, putting a bit of distance between them. "Who are you?"
 
"My given name is Hyoga." the blonde said with a slight bow. "Though some choose to call me Cygnus."
 
"Cygnus…" Shun contemplated. "The great swan?"
 
"As some say." Hyoga's smile widened just a bit. "And you…May I ask your real name?"
 
"…It's Shun."
 
"Shun." Cygnus smiled again. "So…You are the one people call Andromeda." he leaned back a bit, appraisingly, then shook his head. "You aren't exactly what I expected."
 
"What do you mean?"
 
Cygnus's grin widened. "I was told you were a princess."
 
Shun turned red. "And who told you that?"
 
"Apparently, someone with rather poor eyesight." Hyoga nodded. "Despite your good looks, you don't have the bustline of a princess."
 
Shun's blush deepened, noticing the other man's gaze had narrowed at his chest. He, rather quickly, scrambled to pick up the robe he'd been wearing over his tunic and pull it back on.
 
Hyoga chuckled at this show. The prince looked back over his shoulder, frowning. "So what do you want?" he asked, a bit of a pout on his lips. "What exactly do you think you're doing, sneaking up on me like this?"
 
"I didn't sneak." Hyoga shrugged.
 
"You certainly didn't come down the path." Shun muttered, turning around as an odd thought struck him. "I would have seen you…so how did you get here?"
 
"I flew." Hyoga nearly burst out laughing at the skeptical look on the other's face. "Fine, don't believe me…I was just passing through."
 
Shun turned his back on him, tying the belt of his robe securely around his waist. Hyoga was quiet a moment, then spoke again. "It just seams odd to me…That a man would so readily give up the life of his son…"
 
"My father is simply doing what it best for the kingdom." Shun said quietly, not making eye contact. "He…is responsible for the people's safety, after all."
 
"…And what about you?" Hyoga came closer, hands behind his back unthreateningly. "Is it your responsibility to die for these people?"
 
Shun was quiet, putting his hands around his chest, as though warding off a cold chill. "I don't want anyone else to get hurt." he muttered. "If that means giving up my own life…then so be it."
 
The blonde's gaze was level and serious. "But do you really wish to die for them?"
 
A slight spasm went through the prince, but from behind you couldn't tell if it was from fear or rage. "I don't want anyone else to get hurt." he said, more firmly this time.
 
"That isn't what I asked." Hyoga took him by the shoulder, gently turning him around to face him, look him in the eye. "I asked you: Do you really wish to give your life for these people? To die, the way you are now?"
 
For a moment, Shun couldn't speak. He found himself staring into the stranger's crystal blue eyes, as though he'd been hypnotized by that single look. The only feeling came from the hand on his shoulder, a firm, amiable grip that spread from that spot. A new kind of emotion flooded him as they gazed at each other…a safety, a warmth he'd only felt in the presence of his family. It was as though…he'd known this man his entire life…
 
His hands started to tremble slightly, and he pulled them closer to his chest, trying to warm them. "No…" he whispered, a few tears streaking haphazardly down his cheeks. "I…I don't want to…I don't want to die…"
 
Hyoga nodded, not taking his eyes off the crying form. Shun rubbed his eyes as more tears came, running down his face in rivers of saltwater. "But I have to do this…My brother was already hurt by that…that thing…I can't let anyone else suffer, not when I can do something about it…I just…I can't!"
 
He suddenly felt the traveler touch his cheek, brushing away the tears and turning his head upwards. Shun looked up slightly, marveling at the feeling of this unfamiliar touch…that somehow felt so perfectly normal.
 
"That's all I needed to hear." the blonde said quietly.
 
Then he leaned forward and gently kissed the smaller boy on the opposite cheek.
 
Shun went stiff suddenly as Hyoga pulled away. A slight smirk painted his lips as he backed away. "Sorry. I just had to see if that skin was as soft as it looked."
 
He turned and gave a gracious, though rather pompous, bow. "Have a good night, prince." he said brightly, as though the conversation had never happened, and disappeared in to the brush as suddenly as he had come.
 
Shun stared after him blankly a moment, then lifted his hand to touch the cheek where he'd been kissed. It still felt…warm. And nice. Really nice…
 
He mentally slapped himself. He was a complete stranger, and besides all that, he was another man! He couldn't be thinking like that…Not now…
 
With a sigh, he started back up the path to the palace to wait for sunrise.
 
To Be Continued…