Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ Walking the Other Way ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Standard disclaimers: I don't own Saint Seiya, and I'm not making money out of this.
 
Walking the Other Way
A Saint Seiya Gift fic
 
DragonRuler
 
Chapter 3: Preparations
 
 
Ikki shoved his hands down his pockets and tried not to breathe too much of the filthy stench that was considered air in these quarters of town. Everything was grey, with a shimmer of undefined wetness over the tiles on the floor and the brick walls. His footsteps carried far, introducing him to the people who lived here. The colors of laundry outside were swallowed in the indifference and despair, almost detectable in the air. Angry, tired faces looked at the tall man, who was clearly better off than they were, with his long warm coat and clean skin.
 
There were safer places to be around. That's why he had forbidden any of the others to come along, causing Shun to be upset and Hyoga, for once, to side with the older brother and assure the brunette it was better if Ikki went alone. Grudgingly Shun had given in, but only because he believed in Ikki as such, nothing more, nothing less. So now he kept his dark eyes clear, looking up the alleys to search for unwanted movement and the one he was supposed to meet here. An old catch of him who had been released sooner for good conduct.
 
A soft grunt escaped the Lion at this thought. What good was booking jerks when they were free in no time? He might as well let them roam the country and ruin lives, but that had never been in Ikki's nature. Even as a child he'd always stood up for the weaker, trying to get things straight where they were unfair. The step to becoming a detective hadn't been unpredictable. In between thoughts he noticed the shadow following him and turned right after the corner where he was believed to walk on.
 
He quickened his pace, disappearing in the shadows and smoke, using his knowledge of the alleys and their destination to reappear behind his tail. If there was anything the Lion detested it was letting things out of his control and this one sure tried that. With a rough move he snatched the man by his collar and jostled him into the wall.
 
A yelp escaped his victim as he tried to struggle loose from the iron grip, but soon gave in and eyed the taller man with big eyes. He had a fair face, be it a bit dirty and was remarkably young too. Ikki fought back the urge to drag the kid away from this place and stuff'm in a home where he'd be cleared from the foul influence of criminals and murderers. The thing was: it wasn't even a certainty that he'd be better off there than here.
 
A short nod of his head asked for answers, but the kid was stubborn and pressed his lips firmly together, a glint of defiance in his eyes. Sighing Ikki shook the small body. This one better not tempt his luck, he cursed to himself.
 
“Look, bratpack, I know it's no coincidence you're here. Who sent you?”
 
“If you know it's no coincidence, then why bother to ask,” the kid bit back.
 
Clearly unexpected Ikki let go of the thin neck and the boy dropped to the floor in a pathetic heap. Bending through his knees the dark-haired man got himself at the same level, a harsh expression on his face. This kid was rotten already; even if he'd get him into a home there would be an escape the same week, if not the very same day. He'd be damned if he spilled his breathe on this one…
 
“Do what you're supposed to do then,” Ikki said.
 
The child blinked at him in suspicion and frowned lightly.
 
“I need to explain to you,” the former cop growled. “You're sent out to make sure it wasn't a trap to bust Ron again, used as bait. Now that everything's clear you can bring me to him.”
 
Unsettled the kid got back to his feet and dusted his clothes, or what served as such. Meanwhile he kept a steady eye on Ikki, whose mood had hit 0 degrees by now. Typical of Ron's kind. Using a kid to make sure they couldn't be caught again, but what was worse, the kid clearly hadn't known and for some reason Ikki felt bad about throwing it in his face like that. He reached for the slender shoulder but the child balked, smacking the hand away.
 
“Hands to yerself, cop! I dun nee' yer sympathy,” he snapped. “Just follow me and shut up.”
 
Rotten indeed, Ikki thought. Why he even bothered to empathize, he wondered, as he walked behind the small figure through a series of homes that had been thrust open. All the walls had been torn down, making five or more houses into one large community where small families, lost children and runaways lived. Ikki made sure to look where he put his feet, letting his eyes slide over the weary faces and few possessions. Empathize… Why would he anyway. These people, these communities held their own existence preserved, disrespected any law and human being.
 
His own thoughts brought him to the irony of the situation, because despising these people would at the moment mean as much as despise his own ways. Still there was a difference. There was no other option for him. Doubting his own morals Ikki walked into a smaller room, where at a table he saw Ron and two other individuals.
 
“Butt out, Mikey.”
 
The kid dashed out at the mere sound of the bark, glancing over his shoulder at Ikki for a second before disappearing for real.
 
Nous parlons plus tard. En tous cas, je vais voir ce que je peux faire. (*),” Ron spoke to the other two in a horrible French accent.
 
The men left, softly discussing amongst each other and Ikki caught ear of their conversation. Nothing useful, all it did was confirm his guess about Ron. Jail didn't work on his kind, it never would and the moment they were out they were at it again. Eyeing the American, he saw the guy looked like shit, his body even thinner than before as he scratched his arms with long, dirty nails. The cigarette trembled between his fingers while he squinted at the visitor.
 
“On wi' yer show, detective.”
 
Now Ikki recognized the accent with which Mikey had spoken earlier. Ron coughed up something that sounded rather substantial but swallowed it again while the smoke escaped through his nose.
 
“Like I said over the phone,” Ikki noted calmly. “I need to get my hands on some gear.”
 
The other chuckled in surprise, but there was no joy in his voice. He mistrusted this man like nothing else.
 
“Ya was serious abou' tha' shite?”
 
Ikki didn't bother to confirm. His mere presence ought to tell Ron enough. It was just a matter of time before that got through to his poisoned brain. Snorting the American spat the substance to the floor, still observing the cop who was responsible for his years in prison and loads of trouble with his regulars.
 
“'s A real risk yer takin'…”
 
The words lingered in the air, leaning heavily on Ikki's broad shoulders and unwillingly the cop squeezed the gun by his left ankle against his other leg to make sure it was still there. It surprised him that Ron hadn't searched him or let him be searched before bringing him here.
 
Ron wasn't lying though. It would be too easy to have his revenge, kill Ikki and dump his body some place where it wouldn't be found until it was already half decomposed. Perhaps that was the reason why they didn't search him; they didn't plan on letting him out anyway. Ikki's thoughts roared through his mind. It wouldn't be easy, but he was skilled enough to escape from this situation should that be the needed. However there was money involved.
 
The American had been set free not too long ago, though his sentence had been longer and still too short to compensate his crimes. Justice only worked for those with money lately and for those who provided the politicians with spare time and more money. Ron was one of those providers. The empire he'd built up had been carefully exposed by Ikki and his team, so now he was trying to reestablish what he once had. Ikki guessed that the pleasure of money would -for now- surpass the pleasure of seeing the cop's blood flow.
 
“I'm listening,” Ron muttered.
 
Kicking the other chair so it turned half to Ikki was an invitation for the taller man to join Ron at the table.
 
“So,” he smacked. “Ya need gear. From wha' ya said I gather it to be a break-in and robbery?”
 
A nod.
 
“How many people?”
 
“Five.”
 
“Building?”
 
“One with two floors, laser protected and way in through the roof. We need something to break a door lock on code.”
 
Ron stared at Ikki, not hiding his amusement. Talk about beginners. Well, he'd get paid for delivering the material and get a deal out of it, just in case they succeeded.
 
“Surroundings?”
 
Expecting this kind of questions Ikki pulled out a copy of the blueprint and a map of the surroundings, pointing out the way they were planning on taking.
 
“I have all ya need,” Ron said. “Payment on delivery and split the loot.”
 
“Seventy, thirty. We need to get our own share and we're taking the risks here.”
 
“Fine,” the American snapped.
 
He wasn't in the mood for haggling since after all in his opinion they wouldn't succeed anyway. The money for the gear was good enough and the anticipation of seeing this confident ego-tripper disappear into the hellhole where he himself had spent the last years was enough. Yawning Ron pointed at the door.
 
“I'll contact ya near the end of the week.”
 
“Thanks,” Ikki answered, more because of habit than real gratefulness towards Ron.
 
The other snorted in reply, lighting another cigarette.
 
“Eh,” he yelled to the door as Ikki left. ”Send those Frenchies back in if they is still there, yeh!”
 
Keeping his head up, weakness attracted attention in these places, Ikki walked the same way back. This had been easy, even with the so called risk he was running, and the cop couldn't help but wonder if there was someone after him. Mob style revenge. Movies pictured it so ridiculously stupid, but it did happen. Only less blood that squirted around and less quick deaths. Nevertheless the only thing he noticed was Mikey shadowing him again, to make sure Ikki left for his own place and not for the police office.
 
Miho heard the door slam shut again, accompanied by lots of squeaks, loud dashes of boots and naked feet through the hallway until the children poured into the living room one by one. Smiling she set down the eleven plates as many as there were children, waiting for Edahiko to swing himself around her waist, squealing that he was hungry. Seven seconds and seven children later a little body glomped onto hers.
 
“Seiya, stop wasting your time in the hallway and come help me,” she laughed.
 
Pulling Edahiko a bit higher so he wouldn't fall, she pulled open the fridge to take out the meat and the vegetables. Seiya entered the living room where the children were playing and trying to find their way through the messy carpet, covered in dolls, helicopters and other various toys. Carefully avoiding toppling over toddlers and squealing seven year olds he tiptoed his way to the kitchen to help Miho with the cooking. He hated it, and admitted tried to avoid it, but when it came down to the work he did more than enough.
 
“Hiya,” he puffed, tired from the day out in the field. “Where do you want me?”
 
Handing him the meat while she was cutting the veggies Miho eyed his dirty outfit with a critic's eye, receiving a sheepish smile in return.
 
“You should see the kids,” Seiya protested.
 
“I can feel it,” Miho noted dryly, pointing at Edahiko who had now stationed himself on her back with his curious eyes following her every move. “You let them play in the mud again.”
 
“Well, no, not exactly. He fell. You know how careless he can be,” her friend grinned.
 
“No, I didn't. You pusjed meh,” the kid yelped as he heard the accusation.
 
He was missing his two front teeth which resulted in the cutest of `sj' sounds every time he had to say an s or a z.
 
“I'm finished cutting the vegetables. Just throw everything in the pan while I go wash the dirt of them.”
 
“Or at least try to,” she added when she saw the other mudmonsters in her living room.
 
Poking the sizzling meat Seiya whistled a cartoon tune when he was suddenly interrupted by the doorbell. Frowning at the odd hour -normally they only had visitors during the day- he turned the fire to small level and walked down the hallway. Two shadows shone through the dim glass, while Seiya heard the soft noises coming from up the stairs where Miho and the children were demolishing the bathroom.
 
Two men stood on the porch, one small thin guy with untidy hair whereas his companion was leaning against the door, a cigar lazily hanging from his bottom lip. Seiya considered it a miracle the thing didn't drop to the floor under the force of gravity but some people have hidden gifts. Completely useless gifts, but gifts nonetheless. Another gift these two had was complete and immediate provocation of antipathy. Wanting to avoid them getting in Seiya put out his arm to block the doorway.
 
A heavy arm slammed into his throat eliminating his attempt to protect the house and its living content. Bellowing out to Miho he warned them, but it was no use. There was no way out on the first nor on the second floor. Yet another pair of desperate jackasses using the easiest way to find money and they didn't leave Seiya much chance to defend himself as they jammed him with his face against the wall.
 
Miho's pretty face appeared at the top of the stairs, soon followed by a few of the children. Neither fear nor panic could be seen in her brown eyes, only stern disapproval as she walked down, ordering the kids to stay up the stairs.
 
“Money and food now.”
 
“Food you can have,” Miho said in a cold voice. “But we don't have any money ourselves.”
 
“Liar,” the little one snapped. “Orphanages always have money, especially when they can buy food.”
 
“We would have money if jerks like you didn't show up all the time,” Seiya bit out between clenched teeth, struggling to keep his face from being pushed into the wall completely.
 
“Go check,” the taller one said to his friend.
 
“We grow our own food,” Miho yelled at the man who rummaged through their belongings. “You won't find anything!”
 
Hearing plates smash into the floor, Seiya struggled to break free but the hold on his arm would break it if he moved too roughly, but Miho stormed down the rest of the stairs, furious at these two people who busted in their place, scaring the children in search for some food and as she tried to shove her way passed the man in the hall he hurled her a few meters away, sending her crashing into the door. Edahiko squealed from the first floor, while several tiny hands tried to avoid the little child from breaking the order Miho had given them but they didn't succeed. Little feet dashed down the stairs as well to comfort Miho who was getting up again, a bit dazed from the collision with the wood.
 
In the confusion of trying to hold back the child and the loud screams from up the stairs the man holding Seiya arm loosened his grip which within a second cost him his arm as the brunette fiercely turned away from the wall, snapping the thief's arm in one of his martial arts grips. A roar bellowed from him as he sank through his knees while Seiya searched the man for weapons. Finding a knife the brunette threw the man through the door Miho had opened and turned to the smaller intruder, the weapon in his right hand.
 
Immediately the small man stopped his charge when he saw the glint in Seiya's dark eyes.
 
“Just lemme out,” he pleaded, an eye warily on the knife.
 
Miho saw her friend doubt while she closed her arms around Edahiko, Seiya's hand shaking with the rest of his enraged body until he decided with his common sense and stepped aside. Quickly the man ran out, without even regarding his companion and disappeared into the street soon followed by the other. Staring after them for a while, maybe looking for more shadows creeping through the darkness, the brunette tried to calm himself, his hand clinging furiously to the side of the door.
 
“Seiya, please close the door.”
 
Her voice, soft and careful, reached his ears and made him follow her request within seconds, hoping that the three centimetres thick wooden door would lock out any kind of threat. The children cautiously sneaked down the stairs, each searching for comfort with Seiya, Miho or each other, the smallest of them crying while the elder despite their attempts to stay cool showed fear as well. Seiya picked up one of the sobbing toddler, as several little hands clung to his pants and hopped along to the kitchen.
 
“Calm down, sweeties. They're gone, they're gone,” Miho cooed to her children. “The door is locked, they won't come in again.”
 
Seiya took two other kids in his arms while swiping the broken plates together and turning the fire on again as Miho tried to distract the children.
 
“Come on, kids, sit at the table. You must be hungry…”
 
“Why did that man hurt you, Mi-sama?”
 
“What did they want?”
 
“Shouldn't you call the cops?”
 
“Are you hurt, Seiya?”
 
Questions, worry and fear poured over the two still young adults as they tried to answer as good as they could without creating more concern.
 
“They were hungry, just like us,” Miho said regretfully.
 
“Don't compare them to us,” Seiya bit. “They're criminals. They wouldn't have hesitated to use the knife.”
 
Edahiko's large eyes pinned Seiya down in innocent wonder making his heart cringe and his muscles flex. The hypocrisy of his own words made his belief in them shatter and his voice faded near the end of his sentence. Rubbing his eyes he shook off the feeling. There was nothing wrong with his choice, Seiya reminded himself, it was for the kids and Miho to survive and he would never break into a house, hurting those who lived there. Simple as that.
 
“They were thieves,” Seiya continued. “But they're gone now. Let's just sit and eat. There's no need to worry anymore.”
 
“Won't they come back,” a small voice squeaked from in Miho's embrace.
 
“No,” the young woman said immediately. “They won't. We won't open the door anymore unless we expect friends so no one can come in when we don't want them.”
 
“What about those who broke in last week,” an older boy named Kisho asked, his eyes sparkling with mistrust.
 
“They won't,” Seiya said, his voice a warning tone lower, as he eyed the smaller kids.
 
The boy nodded understanding that they needed to avoid panic with the little ones and smiled reassuringly at his little sister who was looking at the ones who were supposed to have the answers. However Seiya did not have the answers, due to his own mind being rather mixed up and trying to sort out what he could and could not ask from these kids now.
 
The children were put to bed extra early, but not before Seiya had moved the beds so that none of them had to sleep alone. The smallest slept in either Seiya's or Miho's bed already but the brunette knew that some of the others would come sneaking through the hallway somewhere during the night, so he left the door to both his and Miho's room open to make it easier on them.
 
“I wish they'd do something useful,” Miho sighed.
 
Brushing his teeth Seiya saw his friend's figure in the doorway, dressed in her jammies and with her arms wrapped around her.
 
“Bad times,” he mumbled through the water.
 
“Does that justify their actions,” she bit angrily but catching her own tone she immediately closed her hand over her mouth. “I'm sorry. It's just…”
 
“Don't worry,” Seiya smiled. “I know what you mean but…”
 
Worried about how she would react he hesitated and examined her face, at which she frowned slightly, knowing her colleague all too well.
 
“What?”
 
“I'll explain. There's this decision I made with the others,” he said. “Let's go down, we can sit by the fire and we won't wake the kids.”
 
“Hm,” Miho replied warily as she followed Seiya down the stairs. “What then…”
 
Seiya explained their plans to Miho in roughly five sentences.
 
“Are you insane?!!”
 
“Stop yelling. You'll wake the kids,” Seiya half grinned at her reaction.
 
Miho stared at the brunette in a mixture of wonder, anger and a serious attempt at glaring which made it all the more humorous to Seiya since Miho was short and absolutely non-threatening to him.
 
“How can you do this? What if things go wrong, what if the kids hear about it? What if… how am I supposed to explain such a thing to them after what happened to us the last two weeks?”
 
“You don't need to explain anything to them `cause they won't know.”
 
“Hah,” Miho laughed dryly. “They won't notice when you sneak off during the night. Seiya, Shina always sleeps with you so don't tell me they won't know. Besides how can you think that stealing will solve our problems?”
 
“It's only a one time thing, after which we'll be safe…”
 
“Safe,” she interrupted. “How will we be safe if we do have money? People will notice and it will attract more of the kind we just crossed!”
 
“Look, the preparations have been made already. Stop worrying; don't get mad, it won't help anyway. I just thought I'd let you know and yes,” he said before she could interrupt again. “I am aware that this is selfish, but I'm taking the risks, not you. When we get back you'll be happy we did.”
 
“That's the point. Will you get back?”
 
Surprised at the idea which hadn't crossed his mind yet Seiya stared at her for a long time.
 
“I will,” he said eventually. “I will… you know I will. We will, I mean, we'll have each other's back.”
 
“What choice do I have indeed,” she muttered. “You'd better return, Seiya, all of you.”
 
Seiya's night's rest was ruined by three instead of one child joining him in his bed and thoughts running wild on what Miho had said. Tossing and turning he awaited the first sign of sunlight to get up and do the dishes from the evening before. With the sun rising he disregarded the doubt, like he had done before and trusted his heart.
----------------------------
(*) Nous parlons de ca plus tard. En tous cas, je vais voir ce que je peux faire. = We'll talk later. In any way I'll see what I can do.