Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ What is Seen and What is Felt ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Homura had been born a taboo child, the ultimate sin between a mortal woman and a god. The mark of his ill-fated birth was betrayed by his eyes. He had been born with one blue eye and one gold eye.
 
His blue eye cursed him with the gift of truth. For wherever his gaze fell, the blue eye lay bare for him the workings of what he beheld and unlike others, he could not salve his savaged pride with falsehood.
 
But with his gold eye, he saw so very much more. He beheld the faces the gods wore as they wove their polite lies hidden in wisps of truth to confuse and conceal intent.
 
The blue eye let him know that he lived because of the whispered relationship to the Jade Emperor. The gold eye told him it was as much a death sentence as if the Emperor had stood over him and wielded the Sword of Flame himself.
 
He became inured to the slurs and snarls of the Jade Emperor, for as an heretical being was he not supposed to prostrate himself in gratitude for the pittance of an existence that allowed him to age bound in chains in the dark bowels of heaven, forgotten until his preordained demise.
 
The gold eye foreshadowed death. The Emperor was waiting for the heretic to die.
 
Homura refused to be gracious. With an elegant disregard of expectation, he refused to surrender to despair and death. He lived beyond what had been foretold.
 
With his gold eye, Homura beheld the cruelty of station, the absolute segregation of classes even among the gods or most especially among the gods, for was it not declared as in heaven so it was on earth? So he was privvy to the pettiness that came with power, the disregard for creativity that stretched the boundlessness of the universe and didn't fit into a certain predefined order, the stultifying ennui that enabled what should have been the noblest of beings to casually smite out the brightest and best for daring to compete beyond their station.
 
It was with both eyes that he first beheld RinRei.