Saiyuki Reload Gunlock Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven above Heaven above Heaven ❯ ...so they mow a storm ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Seriously, who would start reading from second chapter? Still stands.
Warning: Not my first language. Nothing traumatizing thus far.
 
Chapter II: …so they mow a storm.
 
Mei closed her eyes and concentrated. It was one thing to find a lost or stolen good or a person you knew. Finding a place she had never even heard of was a different matter altogether. Still she had to things to work with. She had met Kougaiji and his party several times and their place of living was supposedly also the base of reviving. She didn't really know Kougaiji, he was a quiet whisper. Minus wave was easier to track down. She had sensed something unnatural and cruel, taking everything and giving back madness, when youkais had begun to loose their minds but now when she knew what it was the pattern was clearer. Huge cold waves of thick blackness flowing over unsuspecting humans. She could vaguely sense the source of the wave and the closer they got the more precisely she could guide them. Waves were lulling her and she feared that if she would reach too far they would catch her too. Waves were lulling her.
“There,” she said and drew a circle inside of a bigger one. Sanzo bent down over the map.
“That's still vague,” he stated.
“It will get better when we are nearer. At least it's not a quarter of India anymore.” Sanzo grunted but nodded then.
“Have you any impression of the place?” Mei reached out and spread her fingers as if trying to feel a pattern of some invisible cloth.
“High. Some very high place. No more.” She blinked and shook her head. Sanzo drew a smaller circle around mountains, which were inside Mei's circle.
“Bit better,” he said.
“Is the food ready,” Goku asked and looked at Hakkai.
“Very soon,” Hakkai said and smiled absentmindedly, stirring the soup. Mei sighed with content.
“Hot soup after a day like this is heavenly. You should be proclaimed the patron saint of travellers.” She leaned down and Goku watched her worriedly. He could tell Mei was having hard time following them. She never complained, she had already learned how much sympathy that would earn her from Sanzo, but more than two daily fights drained her pretty badly. She was a gun wielder too. Sanzo had bought her one saying it would be easier to learn to use than a blade. Mei had learned but she was still the weakest one and it was seriously bothering her. He considered the group his family and Mei was part of it. He was absolutely loyal to them, they were there for him, they protected him and cheered him up when he was feeling bad and fed him and they could trust him to do the same thing for them.
“You could be patron saint of mediums,” he announced and tried to hug Mei. Since she was lying on the ground he ended up bouncing her. Mei umphed but smiled him happily.
“And what saint would Gojyo be?” she asked. Goku glared at his favourite adversary and/or best friend enemy. When he was sure Gojyo was listening he said:
“The patron saint of perverts! What else?” Gojyo smirked evilly.
“Better that than the patron saint of gluttony. You think with your stomach.”
“I don't. You perverted cockroach kappa!”
“Idiot monkey!”
“Silence, you two!” Sanzo interrupted but since he was too far to use the Paper Fan of Doom and not quite yet irritated enough to shoot Gojyo decided to push him still bit further. He had the need to get some reaction out of his travelling companions, even if it was negative.
“What saint Sanzo would be?” he asked. Sanzo was silent. Mei closed her eyes and winced. Hakkai chuckled as usual and Goku pondered the question.
“Patron saint of sun?” Yup! That would be it.” Mei tried to hide her smile when she looked at Sanzo. The monk would rather swallow glass and die of inner bleeding than admit it but he cared deeply for his companions. If he didn't Mei wouldn't be there anymore. There was just that much she would take for the world and it didn't include being constantly in danger to loose her dear life and getting yelled and hit by fan in exchange. But the warmth, even reluctantly given was a different matter altogether.
“More like the patron saint of patience challenged,” Gojyo said. That did it, Mei thought. Two shots broke the peace of the clearing. Hakuryuu chirped accusingly and Hakkai soothed it. Mei closed her eyes and listened Gojyo's complaints. Nothing made her feel better these days than that routine.
There was a quiet click of a lighter that told that the ordeal was over again.
“I'm surprised you have had the good grace to keep your hands where the belong,” Sanzo said out of blue. Mei bothered to open one eye. Now where did that come from?
“Hey, Mei's a total hottie, but it would be weird. No offence meant,” Gojyo said and nodded to her, “but you are like, well, it would not be right.” His tongue had been too loose but he had caught himself at time. He had intended to say like a sister, but then again it would not be too clever thing to say as long as Hakkai was present.
“And you need to get along with her the whole journey,” Goku guessed. He was considered the most clueless one when it came to the matter of love and sex. He knew he was in many ways but even he noticed that the word relationship caused Gojyo allergic reaction.
“That too,” Gojyo admitted.
 
Kougaiji was eying the damage the attackers had done. He sighed wearily. The mundane damage was the least important of their problems. The man who had reclaimed to be a Toushin Taishi had taken their Sutra. The witch was furious but that was not his concern. The problem was that Gyumaoh could not be awakened without the Sutra. Therefore neither could his mother. He would do anything for his mother short of nothing and he had had to hand over the Sutra. He had cared for saving his life just for his mother. If he died his mother would remain in the pillar forever. Gyoukumen Koushu would not keep her word just to respect his memory. He had no right to die yet. Then there was a small voice that whispered: “Make sure to hold on what is most important.” The words of that thrice damned mad scientist were haunting him. The whole castle would have been destroyed if he had said no. Which is the most important one, a dead mother or a living sister? The question was nauseating.
“What you are going to do,” Dokugakuji asked. His wounds were still aching but he had to see his lord. The resurrection of Kougaiji's mother had once again been taken away from his hand and Dokugakuji was afraid his passionate lord might do something stupid.
“I'll strike an alliance with Sanzo party,” Kougaiji said. Dokugakuji considered the thought.
“Because they have two Sutras they would come after them too?” Kougaiji nodded.
“Homura will try and steal it too. We were no match for him alone, but maybe we can succeed together. Son Goku is ridiculously powerful without his limiter and we haven't even seen Hakkai taking away his own. And maybe number will do something.” He didn't sound too persuaded himself but Dokugakuji nodded. They had to do something. Yaone closed the door without a sound and leaned against a wall. She was a firm believer of Karma. If one was ready to use violence to achieve one's goal one could not claim it unfair when someone else would do so too. Kougaiji wasn't wrong of course so but that didn't change anything. What a royally mess they were in.
“What's wrong,” a small voice asked. Yaone looked down and saw an unusually serious little face of her almost-sister.
“It's just all this damage,” she said and tried to smile reassuringly. Lirin shook her head sternly.
”It's not only that. Lirin knows it's about Kougaiji's mother. They cannot wake her without the Sutra, right?” Yaone felt bad when she looked at girl's eyes. She was close to tears, not only because of Kougaiji but also because now Kougaiji's mother couldn't be her mother too. No matter how many times Kougaiji told Lirin that she could consider Rasetsunyo her mother, the girl felt it wasn't official before Rasetsunyo herself would say so. In a way she was right and what good would a mother in a pillar do anyway?
“We are about to propose an alliance to Sanzo and others. Kougaiji thinks we can get the Sutra back together,” Yaone told. The grief disappeared immediately from Lirin's face.
“Kyaah! Lirin can see Sanzo again and we can have Sutra back!” How Yaone could have told the little girl that Kougaiji's plan was what made her worry. That she didn't believe Homura would spare her lord's life again.
 
Gyoukumen Koushu had eventually stopped breaking things and screaming. It wouldn't change a thing so she controlled her temper now but she was still boiling inside.
“Even gods aren't immortal in meaning: not able to die. They can die. The problem is…” She bit her lip. The problem was only another god could do it or some ancient mighty creature. And the problem with ancient creatures was that they were mostly sealed away too. She was frustrated. To want what she can not have. To get what she want. It's just natural. That was the way things were for Gyoukumen Koushu and now Homura had changed rules.
“Come to me, my love,” she ordered and looked her king. “I want everything.” That was her mantra but it wouldn't help. She was helpless and she didn't like it one bit. She would come up with something eventually of course. She had to.
“There is the faint hope that Sanzo party will be able to kill him,” she said and turned around to face Nii Jienyi. “They have repeatedly gained upper hand when that idiot stepson of mine has tried to kill them. Make sure no one bothers them until further notice.” Nii Jienyi smiled obediently.
“There is just one problem, mistress,” he said.
“What?” The voice promised something horrible to happen but Jienyi was seemingly fearless.
“We already sent the twins. It was before that incident and I don't think they have heard of this.” Gyoukumen was motionless one second and Jienyi used it to slip out of door and shut it before something hard and heavy hit it. He smirked. Reminding the princess of unpleasant things was a risky business but what intriguing information her aura gave away when she was out of control. Jienyi was only out for himself after all.
 
Gojyo grabbed sleeping Mei and carried her to the jeep. She was so out of it she didn't even stir. Gojyo felt rather worried when she let Mei lay down. She was so light compared to her height and Gojyo wondered if she ate enough. Then he remembered that Goku had let her take the last sandwich yesterday and just some minutes ago he had let Mei took soup first. The monkey had to be very worried when he voluntarily gave up food. Then again he knew that Mei was not so fragile she appeared to be. Her strength wasn't youkai-type raw power or Sanzo's willpower that came near obsession and with nerves of sharp glass. She just could take very much and still continue the next day. And surprisingly even though she was the least experienced fighter she was also the one who made it with least wounds. The way she had bitten off Chin Yisou's tongue had been positively brilliant. One hundred points for attitude. Good thing too she wasn't afraid of centipedes, spiders, scorpions or any other insects. They had had more than their fair share of those.
“Sleeping like a child,” he said and turned back. Hakkai smiled when he heard that. Actually Hakkai smiled always unless someone was in peril to loose their lives but there were different kinds of smiles. One smile said: please go away. There was the one that said: you are utterly stupid and I'm only humouring you because other would be rude. Fortunately Gojyo had never been on the receiving end of these and he planned to keep things like that too. Then there was the smile that said: I'll regret this. That Gojyo had seen sometimes. There was an apologising smile and a hard smile reserved for enemies and an absentminded smile he wore when he wasn't paying attention and an amused one which appeared when Sanzo got mad. Then there was the best one, the genuine smile of happiness that Gojyo saw just then.
“Wanna play cards?” he proposed. It seemed like one of best nights so why waste it sleeping? If they only had some beer.
“Not that we would stand a chance,” he added.
“Ch. It is possible to win Hakkai at cards even if most drunken kappas would insist otherwise,” Sanzo said and grounded his cigarette. “Not that it happens too often.”
“Maybe if you would drink less you would play better,” Goku said. Gojyo snorted.
“The problem is not that I'm drunk,” he said, “but that Hakkai never is. You should try some time. It's funny.” Hakkai shrugged.
“I'm afraid I'm not very well able to,” he said. One of his youkai traits was that he could drink both Gojyo and Sanzo under the table and even that wouldn't do a thing to him. At times it felt creepy. He would always have to be aware of his actions and thoughts without numbing effect of alcohol. After those nights his friends had drunk themselves into oblivion it felt like a blessing, though. It couldn't be worth hangovers like that.
“Not everyone needs to get themselves into the shape you do,” Sanzo grunted jus the good measure. “Were you going to deal those cards?”
“You are one to talk, fallen monk,” Gojyo insulted lazily and began dealing. Goku glared him.
“Don't talk Sanzo like that, you fallen kappa.” He kept his voice low so Mei wouldn't wake and Gojyo didn't bother to pick a fight. It was one of those - very rare - nights. They played and they played and Hakkai casually won. It began to get chilly.
“Maybe some sleep would be in order?” Hakkai asked and stretched. Goku tried not to yawn.
“Not yet! I haven't won yet!” he screamed. Sanzo hadn't either and even if that particular loss didn't affect his pride like some another loss would have he still didn't feel like sleeping.
“One more,” he ordered and Gojyo began the last deal. He felt he had to win even this one. He was the gambler goddammit. Sanzo of course understood that. Loosing to Hakkai was one thing but loosing to Gojyo… He would never live it through. Goku could sense the suddenly rose tension and all sleepiness was gone. Things got rather lively, Hakkai thought. No one would ever believe it but he really was not that good player. He just always happened to get good cards.
“What do ya think whose past will pop up next?” Gojyo asked randomly. He was about to cheat and he needed to distract his all too vigil companions with something. Hakkai raised an eyebrow.
“Pardon me?” he said.
“I mean it tends to happen, right? I, you and Sanzo have already had our turn so the next one have to be either the monkey or Mei.” He smirked when he watched the grumpy expression of the said monkey. Diversion complete.
“I'm not a monkey!” Ah the sweet sound of those words.
“Let's hope we have got it all,” Hakkai said lightly. He was bit surprised when he looked his cards. He had no joker and that was rare.
“Aw, bite me!” Gojyo smirked cockily and Goku got an evil, evil idea. So evil it would be just waste to let the opportunity pass.
“I'll do it!” he promised and before Gojyo could even blink he had already grabbed his hand and bitten down very carefully. There was one completely silent moment and Hakkai thought oh my and then Gojyo pulled his hand back.
“What hell kind of idea that was, monkey? What if I get rabies?” he shouted
“I am not a monkey, you pervert kappa!” Goku shouted back. It wasn't an easy task when he was laughing so hard he couldn't even sit. It was just the best!
“And it was you who asked for it!” he added. If looks could kill they would both have been dead then.
“Silence, idiots! You get on my nerves. And you will wake Mei up.” Goku fell silent immediately but now Gojyo had to have it coming.
“Even the mighty priest has got a soft spot in his heart?” he asked. A very respectable click was audible when Sanzo aimed his gun.
“Hey, that will wake Mei,” Gojyo protested and took the opportunity to hide behind Hakkai.
“Good cards by the way,” he whispered. Hakkai could just laugh helplessly. Of course anything that good could not last.
At first there was a sudden flash of light and a quiet pop above their heads. When they looked up they saw a piece of paper flying down.
“Fuck,” Sanzo said nonchalantly and picked it before it touched the ground.
“Lemme see! What it says?” Goku said and attempted to read over Sanzo's shoulder. Sanzo shoved him off and read aloud:
You can not kill what you can not see. You only see if it's fine by me. To death ignorance shall be the key. From the nest of twins you'll never be free.” The only thing that awoke inside him was disbelief. Had Kougaiji really sunk low enough to send someone mentally disabled? Practically all youkais were more or less mad these days but that was either case of downright insanity or very twisted sense of humour.
“Well, what an interesting verse, don't you think?” Hakkai asked and closed his eyes when smiling. The source of youki was strangely muffled like their attacker could hide it some way but he was almost sure it was coming from behind the nearby wisteria.
“No, we don't,” Gojyo said. “Whatever that guy is capable of rhyming is not among those things.” Then they heard a bizarre involuntarily giggle behind the wisteria.
“I told you I can rhyme better. Now they are all grumpy.” A silhouette appeared against hillside and another followed. Goku summoned nyoibo and grinned lazily. Those idiots would hardly cause any real troubles. Gojyo was more pessimistic. Insanity was rarely synonym to harmless.
“This will be so fun!” a light voice announced and two assassins came to the light of the notch. They were dressed identical and their faces and wild black hair were even beyond identical. However, since they had no tops it was obvious that one was a man and the other a woman.
“We are Liang and Jiang and we would love to assassinate you. Please be ready,” the man said and giggled a bit. The woman frowned at that.
“You really need to do something about that giggling,” she said disapprovingly. “You are the gayest straight man there is. People will talk.” The man shrugged and unsheathed a nasty-looking dagger.
“Let them,” he said. Sanzo looked them warily. Something was off but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. The way they felt was… They! That was it.
“They are two separate people but they emit shared youki,” he said. That kind of situation should have been impossible and sure as hell it wasn't natural. The woman clapped her hands.
“You notice so much! I'm so impressed! We used to be a one person but then our great creator Nii Jienyi made a shikigami body and separated the soul of ours into Yin and Yang. We lost something within the process but I don't remember what.”
“Your sanity perhaps,” Gojyo suggested and summoned his shakujoku. Goku gritted his teeth. That Jienyi had also been behind the brainwashed Kougaiji and that had been so low. He held true respect for Kougaiji and anyone deserved at least to die being in their right minds.
“Yeah, that was it,” the man said. “All unnecessary things were removed so we would obey better.” The woman unsheathed her dagger too and they both began to get closer.
“Hakuryuu,” Hakkai called softly. That was when Mei found herself on the ground staring distant stars above her.
 
During three first second the only thought that came to Mei's mind was: what the heck? She had fallen but she couldn't recall being anywhere she could fall from. Then she heard Goku's battle cry and muffled giggling of a stranger and stood immediately up.
“Fourth time today,” she whined and drew her gun. There was roughly ten meters distance so good thing hers was a long-range weapon. She took two hasty steps and aimed, her index finger almost pulled the trigger when there suddenly were three more people. Mei blinked. She couldn't understand where they had appeared from. Their chi burned her mind like a blazing fire. They had their backs towards Mei so she hesitated to interrupt yet. It would be petty to shoot them from behind not to mention cowardly and they hadn't exactly done anything threatening yet. So she waited and walked slowly closer.
Sanzo turned to look newcomers with glare that would have sent lesser men running for their lives. He had meant to continue their travel early in the morning and those messed up twins would have been bad hindrance enough. Some of these idiotic companions of his would get themselves hurt and Hakkai would insist they should stay at least till midday. That was if the hurt was not serious. Sanzo loathed people who changed his plans. He liked to control his life and under that control was another word quietly demanding to be heard. The ugly word was insecurity but he refused to listen and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Every time he fought he also killed a bit of that weak part of himself. He was not a scared boy in the rain anymore.
“And who are you?” he asked aiming the first man's head. Again there was something amiss and he reached towards men's youki. Only one of them was a youkai and even he was something else at the same time. Sanzo was beginning to really bad feeling about it.
“You are not Kougaiji's,” he stated. It was just a guess but a reasonable one. Kougaiji had no use for humans. That was when they realised that they were no humans either. Great. That left just three choices and akumas and yamarajas were off. Men had chakras. Fuck.
“It's a pleasure to meet you again, Konzen,” dark-haired man in magenta-coloured cloak said and smirked cockily. “I am Toushin Homura Taishi and I am here for your Sutras and Seiten Taisei Son Goku. Please hand them over without resistance.” His men got ready to fight. How else it could end? Sanzo and his party were more than happy to live up their expectations. Goku was furious. Like hell he would leave his sun! What that wacko was even thinking? He had been alone in the dark way too long even his memory taken from him and if someone would try to take what was his anymore there would be hell to pay. Hakkai felt familiar coldness creeping inside him. Situation was worse than downright bad but what else could he do but be ready? Nothing so that was what he did. Gojyo was very afraid but also very furious. They were doing those gods' bidding so how they dared spite them? He would not be tossed away like that. Twins just knew their toys would not be taken away.
“They are ours and Sutras are too. We are under orders,” Liang said with hurt voice. Homura turned to look him and Sanzo was not used to be left out of conversation that concerned him.
“I am not Konzen and what hell made you believe I would follow that order?” he shouted and fired. Many things happened at the same time. Homura drew his sword and lit it to fire with just looking it.
“I wouldn't have expected anything less from you, Konzen,” he said and attacked. Goku jumped between them and stopped the downswing. Sanzo shot but Homura dodged with ease. A blind man attacked Hakkai without a word and Hakkai was almost too late to create a chi barrier. Just one hit from his opponent drained him dreadfully. A man with eye patch dodged Gojyo's blade and his hit sent him flying. Gojyo managed to get up when Jiang tried to stab one-eyed man to the back and barely kept her hand attached to her arm. Liang jumped towards Homura but he shoved him off like a fly. Then three shots that were not from Sanzo's gun were heard and Homura stopped bullets with his own chi barrier and took a glance behind him. Then he turned around and his eyes were wide and startled. Her hair was shorter and face was younger but it was undeniable, her soul was looking him through those eyes.
“Rinrei?” he asked and the fight was over as fast as it had started. His comrades stopped fighting immediately and turned to stare Mei. Hakkai and Gojyo tried to get their breaths even and understand what had just happened. Goku jumped between Mei and Homura, Sanzo observed Homura's face half amused, half shocked and disbelievingly. Hakuryuu appeared into Mei's shoulder and bared his teeth. Twins were just curious. And Homura stared Mei like there would have been no one else in the whole world.
“Rinrei?” he repeated.
“Who?” Mei asked and aimed to his head.
Shien and Zenon looked at each other and they both felt a painfully tight knot forming inside their chest. Rinrei wasn't forever lost. She was there and she was ready to kill Homura with steady hands and eyes so hard and still full of concern for her companions. She had asked who Homura was. They knew how it had to tear their lord apart inside. They had got no idea. Homura felt so much he could get lost forever if he wouldn't stop looking into her luminous grey eyes. The only one who had ever really known him and when she had been taken away from him it had crushed him like nothing else could. Now she was there like it had been the most natural thing in the world and it was too much. He hadn't been able to save Rinrei, now Rinrei intended to kill him, she was back but she was a human and she sided with man that was standing in his way. It was a maelstrom of feelings so great it was killing him and making him feel alive like he hadn't felt in centuries. But the thought that was uppermost was: thank goodness she is alive.
“You are Rinrei,” he said. It was a good way to start. Mei frowned.
“You are mistaken. My name is Dee Mei.” She was afraid. How could he move like that while wearing heavy chains? She was very afraid but she stood her ground and threatened the fighting god with her little gun. Homura was hot but there was nothing she felt towards him besides acknowledging the fact. Kougaiji was hot too and even Dokugakuji and actually notable number of their enemies had been. It was like Jiang had heard her thoughts.
“Why all beautiful people are evil?” she whined. Her other half punched her. No one listened her anyway.
“You used to be Rinrei,” Homura explained. “In your past life.” He wouldn't accept a fate like that again. What world had taught him was that if you want something you need to reach out, grab it and hold it tight or else it will disappear. He just had a nasty feeling that Mei might not appreciate being held by someone who had inadvertently attacked her.
“Well, I am not Rinrei now and if you will try to hurt my friends I'll shoot!” Mei wasn't clueless when it became matters of heart and Homura didn't bother trying to hide anything. So she had a bad, bad dilemma in her hands. She could keep Homura at bay because the fighting god wouldn't want to make her hate himself but she would also have to deal with him. Not a nice thought. Homura smiled sadly. She had changed so lot but he didn't believe she had lost the person she used to be. Faithful and caring and that was what she held the gun for. Please don't hate me, he wanted to say but his lips wouldn't obey him.
“I had no intention to make you unhappy,” he said. Goku took one step aside and lowered his staff. I didn't look like Homura would do anything. Just talking. Liang smiled evilly. Those guys were all dangerous and they all cared for the blonde female human insect. Perfect. He run few steps and made a jump towards the female. Mei shot but Liang made a dodge akin to impossible in the midair and she missed. Neither Hakkai nor Homura missed and her clothes were bathed in red. World seemed red too and then she realised she had got blood in her eyes. For her relief she realised she could still feel shocked. She fought down a shiver and looked around having no idea how out of it she looked. Liang's body trembled for a moment and then there was just a marble tile. Jiang screamed and fell to the ground. And Mei stared Homura. His thoughts began to get trough. Please I need you I missed you can I I can't take this now please... Mei shook her head.
“Neither can I. Some other day.” Homura's eyes widened and he felt warmth like glowing fire inside his chest.
“So you can still hear me?” he asked and bowed then lightly. “We shall meet again.” The he, Shien and Zenon were gone. Mei turned to look Sanzo helplessly.
“But I don't even believe in reincarnating,” she complained. Sanzo grunted and rolled his eyes. He had no time for idiocies like gods in love and that summed it all neatly up. Though it was a tiny bit amusing: god in love. With Mei no more no less.
“Hey, that Jiang chick isn't dead. She's gone,” Gojyo said. Sanzo turned to look the empty space on the ground. That was even better. Fuck.
 
Nii Jienyi was actually trembling with laughter. Usually his reactions were not so undisciplined but it was the most amusing thing he had seen in his whole life and his life was full of amusing things. Oh how nice those artificial pupils were and how good he had learned to read from lips. He hadn't seen it all for understandable reason but he had seen enough. So the high and mighty Toushin Taishi was weak in front of a little skinny human girl. Really who would have thought? Of course he would abuse the knowledge some way; he just needed to decide what way exactly. What Gyoukumen Koushu always said was true with him too. He wanted everything and he also needed the Sutras to do it. Homura would give up his to save Mei-Rinrei; he just had to find a way to keep him from killing everything in the castle afterwards. All those delicious possibilities and so little time.
 
Footsteps echoed in the empty room when Kanzeon Bosatsu walked towards late Toushin Taishi. Nataku's eyes were open but he didn't seem to see anything. Kanzeon knew he did. Se didn't know exactly what but Son Goku was a good guess. Se ran hir fingertips down the other's jawbone.
“Haven't you punished yourself enough already? In the end it wasn't your hypocrisy that killed them and sent Goku in that cave. Don't you think you deserve some mercy?” Se smiled dashingly.
“Whether you think so or not you are going to receive it anyway.” Kanzeon bent down and whispered into Nataku's left ear:
“They are attempting to revive the Ox King. Obviously Jade-Faced Princess didn't appreciate you taking the world away from her. Wake up call, Sleeping Beauty. This time you won't return looking like drunken executioner's job.” Se lowered hir voice even more. “This time our Holy Army -wannabe will fight with you. You too can be happy. The world is heaven for heretics.” Kanzeon Bosatsu knew that Nataku could hear every word. Se was a goddess or actually a bodhisattva but the line was usually blurred. Se could see Nataku's brains react to hir talk when his brain cells received the information. Se also knew Nataku would not respond. After all this time it was obvious he had no intention to. Talking to him served no purpose but it pissed off Li Touten. It was petty all right but even a small tempt was still a tempt and se had never been so good to resist.
“Some time and it will matter,” se promised.
What Nataku saw was a dream. Long his dreams had been dark but now he saw his first and only friend free. He was with Konzen again though for some reason the man was called Sanzo now. It even wasn't a name but a title but dreams weren't supposed to make sense. They were dreams. Tenpou Gensui and Kenren Taisho were there too and a woman whom he remembered from the court but whose name he had never asked. Together they fought to prevent his work being undone. They fought and bled and occasionally even cried but still they seemed content. They were happy with their lives, he knew it. Goku was happy. That made him almost happy too but all time there was the nasty lingering taste of knowing it was just dream. If it only were true he would be happy even if he couldn't dream himself to be their friend. He longed to deceive himself so much it hurt but he had never seen the idea of lying to himself. He knew all the time anyway.
“So you need the very earth's touch to wake up. You will get it,” someone said but Nataku didn't know who.
 
Hakkai was still awake when the other group had eventually gone to sleep. Well, not whole group, he thought and observed Mei's restless form. Her eyelids were tightly shut but she tossed around and her breaths were uneven. Hakkai reached out and touched gently her face. Mei was still a moment and then opened her eyes.
“I can't sleep,” she complained. “I'm thinking too much.” She waved her hand like trying to banish non-welcome images and knowing her powers she probably was. Hakkai felt genuinely sorry for the girl. Getting off without a fight now would cost Mei a great deal of problems later. His fingers touched his earcuffs. Cool metal guarding so much cool rage.
“I won't let anything happen to you,” he promised. “You are like a sister to me. Not like Kanan,” he added when he realised how Mei could take it. She had enough to bite like things were. But still…
“But still you are important to me and I'll protect you and all the others will too.” It was ironic but not in a too bitter way. What he had done for one woman in vain would serve to help another. He knew Kanan would be happy if she knew.
“You'll be protected by a recycled knight,” he added and laughed quietly. Mei laughed too even though she didn't quite understand. She knew that explaining joke was a fine way to spoil it.
“It's more like I don't dare to sleep,” she continued. “If I'll fall asleep tomorrow will sneak up on me. And I don't think I'll like what it brings.” She stretched warily, not wanting to wake Gojyo.
“Thank you for defending me,” she whispered and ran her fingers over the leathered seat. Hakuryuu didn't purr. The voice of his motor would have alerted sleepers but she could feel him thinking reassuring thoughts. She frowned lightly.
“How intelligent you think Hakuryuu is? There is much more in him than seems” Mei was about to tell about the little dragon's almost ancient aura when she could hear a silent whisper in her mind: please not yet. “And he likes you very much. He would follow you till the end of the world.” That too was true and Mei could sense Hakuryuu mentally flushing. Hakkai caressed him and smirked.
“I am happy for that. You are one of the finest persons I have ever known even if you aren't exactly a person.” then he looked at Mei. “Or there is no saying about being a person or not?” Mei nodded sleepily.
“No saying.” The oblivion was claiming her anyway. It had been too long day and way too long night.
“Recycled knight… for a recycled heroine,” she mumbled and drifted into dreams.
 
She knew it would happen. The half-naked beauty who claimed to be a bodhisattva sneaked into a dark room and lifted a boy with golden eyes from his seat. The boy had a chakra too and he emitted so much sadness it could break a heart.
“The earth boy is waiting for you,” Kanzeon Bosatsu said and Mei knew se was spiriting the boy away without permission.
“So shall it be,” she said and drifted back to deep sleepless dream. Hakuryuu was the only one awake to hear.