SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Campfire ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Deep philosophical one shot.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
 
The warm days of summer had quickly changed into bitter cold winds of winter. Wanting to escape the confides of indoors but stay warm at the same time, the Gundam Force built a campfire on the outskirts of Neotopia and are huddled together for warmth.
 
“It's f-freezing!” Bakunetsumaru whined rubbing his arms.
 
“You've said that a million times hot head,” Zero snarled back.
 
“Alright calm down you two,” Captain politely ordered, “The cold makes everyone edgy.”
 
“That's the truth,” Shute said with a shiver.
 
The small fire danced in the wind feasting on its steady supply of wood, snapping and crackling wood glowed with the small embers in its nooks and crannies. Bitter icy wind battered the gundams' and human's back while the fire kept their fronts toasty warm.
 
Soon they were captured by the flames hypnotic spell, each staring deeply as their eyes reflected what the fire was reading. Silent snow began to fall and settled around then unnoticed.
 
Zero broke the silence, “My friends, what do you see when you look at the fire?”
 
Shute paused for a minute looking at Zero, “Is…that a trick question?”
 
“I see burning oak and maple wood,” Captain bluntly answered.
 
“Not what I meant,” Zero replied distraught
 
Bakunetsumaru looked at Zero for a spilt second then back at the fire, “Hmmm, I think I know what you are talking about.”
 
Captain blinked, “I am confused? There is nothing more to look at in a fire except for the wood or other fuel that it is burning.”
 
The knight chuckled, “You are thinking much too shallow Captain. Even Bakunetsumaru understands what I am saying.”
 
The samurai replied with a sarcastic laugh and a crossed looked. He then shifted his gaze back to the fire re adjusting his scarf, “I see Ark at war, villages falling one after the other to the evil of the Dark Axis, and myself battling along side my comrades.” He closed his eyes as he slipped into thought, “I wonder….”
 
“Wonder what?” Shute inquired.
 
“If Bell Wood's device had never brought me here to Neotopia,” the musha answered, “Had that event never occurred. I am unsure what would happen.”
 
“Well,” Captain answered, “For one you would have never became a member of the Gundam Force and we may have never learned of Ark until it was too late.”
 
Bakunetsu exhaled deeply, “In all honesty, I am glad I ended up here. Granted I despise being ripped from my home when they needed me most, I am glad thing have turned out they way they did.”
 
“You are?” Captain asked with interest.
 
“It must have happened for a reason,” Bakunetsumaru answered, “I am unsure I want to change it.”
 
 
“It makes sense,” Zero spoke up, “It is unwise to go against destiny.”
 
Baku nods then looks back at the flames, cold bitter wind whipping about his face, “I also see a younger me and Kujakumaru sparring together. Before all this happen.” His chocolate eyes closed as pleasant memories replayed themselves in his head.
 
“Rock….Battle….Nataku….Deed…..̶ 1; Zero gave a sad sigh, “I remember our sparring matches as well.”
 
“Zero?” Capatain asked.
 
“I was the youngest knight but one of the best. Nataku was my trainer, taught me everything about being a Lacroix knight. Before the Dark Axis appeared, Deed and I, being the youngest, always sparred together. We were close friends, trained together, ate together, even in the knight chambers we shared a bunk bed. Deed and I…well we were pretty much brothers. All of the knights of Lacroa were like a close family.”
 
Captain tilts his head, “You thought you closest comrades your brothers?”
 
The knight nods, “We pretty much were. We always watched out for each other.”
 
“You probably had to get saved,” Bakunetsumaru spoke with a smirk.
 
Zero snarled, “Why you!”
 
“Okay calm down guys,” Shute spoke calmly trying to keep order.
 
 
Captain ignored his bickering comrades and continued to stare into the fire. Soon a chuckle escaped the gundam's mouth, I believe I understand know. You use the fire to help remember the past. Let me try.” The militant mecha stared into the glowing embers of the crackling wood, “Ah yes, my days under Instructor. Up before dawn, 50 push ups, 20 laps around SDG base, and 30 curl ups, all before the sun rose. His training regiment was long and tough. I would be training until after the sun had set day after day after day. It was all I knew. Then the Dark Axis first attacked and I met you Shute. Had that never happened, I might not be here today.”
 
“Yeah?” Shute asked.
 
“Yes,” Captain replied.
 
Shute thought for a second then laughed, “Now that I think about it, the only reason I actually met you Captain is because I decided to be stupid and investigate the Komusai. If I hadn't, we may have never met. You wouldn't have had to save me and will… who knows what would have happen.”
 
“You got curious and we met,” Captain summarized, “Interesting.”
 
The cold winter wind howled again giving birth to a blizzard.
 
“What the!” Bakunetsumaru shouted.
 
Zero bowed his head into the wind, “It appears this gentle snow fall has turned into a snow storm!”
“Let's get out of here!” Captain scoops up Shute leading them out of the cold and back the warmth of indoors.