SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ CELEBRATE!!! ❯ Fishing ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Captain eyed the rod carefully, examining it's sleek black color and fine durable thread carefully. He watched the hook swing back and forth in a rhythmic motion like a pendulum.
"Umm ... Shute? What am I supposed to do with this?" Shute glanced over to his best friend and grabbed the end of the hook.
"Captain, you put bait on it! Here I'll do it for you." Shute grabbed a small shrimp from the bucket of water to his left and forced it onto the hook. "Are you sure you have never been fishing?" Captain stared at the squirming creature in a bit of alarm.
"Er ..." He started, his dark blue eyes returning to his human companion. "Is this part necessary?" Shute chuckled while putting bait on his own line.
"Well yeah Captain. Fish don't bite regular hooks, they go for food."
"Ah, so we are feeding them." Captain concluded and turned back to the water. "Now what do we do with the 'bait'?"
"You're not getting this are you?" Shute asked while casting out his line. It went 12 feet away then plopped into the water. "We're not feeding them, we're kinda ... setting up a trap. We want the fish to fall for our trap, but they won't fall for a regular hook. The bait lures them in, that's why it's called bait." Captain glanced back at the shrimp, struggling with the last strength of it's life.
"... So we're killing these shrimp to kill fish?"
"Yeah. Here, I'll cast it out for you if you want-" Captain held the rod protectively against his body.
"No, that's okay Shute. Just show me how and I'll do it myself." Shute blinked then decided to ignore that gesture. He pried the rod away from Captain.
"Alright." Shute pinched the line against the pole. "First you keep the line secure with your finger." He brought the rod back over his shoulder. "Then you cast it out." Shute flung the rod but stopped halfway. "Right about here you should let go of the line with your finger so it won't land right in front of you. Of course you don't stop like I did, I'm just showing a demonstration. Here you try, but swing it too hard, you don't want the line getting tangled in the trees." Captain took the rod back and glanced up at the willow trees hanging over them. He nodded unconsciously and did as Shute instructed perfectly. The line flew out a few feet further than Shute's line. "Wow, it looks like you're a natural! It took me a while to get it right ..."
"Um ... thanks?" Captain said, not too happy with this accomplishment.
"Now we just wait here and very slowly reel it in."
"Why do we wait?"
"The fish take their time to bite the line. If you feel a pull on the line, reel it in." Captain reeled it back in. Shute sweatdropped. "Not that fast, Captain." Captain scratched his head and searched for an excuse.
"I ... didn't like how far away it was?" Shute shrugged.
"Okay." Shute leaned back and stared at the tiny streams of light shining down in between the willow's branches. "It's a nice day huh?" Captain nodded silently while taking off the bait since Shute wasn't looking. He gently slid it in the water and let his line out again, a bit more relieved. "Yeah ... no school, no homework, no Dark Axis ... and no Zero & Bakunetsumaru quarreling." Shute pulled his red cap further down on his head. "Yup ... a perfect day."
"Speaking of Zero and Bakunetsumaru," Captain also looked up at the willow trees and watched them remain perfectly still. "Did you ever wonder why Zero joined us?" Shute sat up, a little baffled.
"What dya' mean? Of course he joined us! He definitely wouldn't join the Dark Axis." Captain shook his head to the side.
"Not what I meant. Do you remember when we were on top of the base after going to the Dark Axis' world? We asked him if he would join the Gundam Force but he declined."
"Oh yeah, I remember," Shute replied while swatting a huge mosquito away. "So when did he join us?"
"After Bakunetsumaru joined us." The two friends remained quiet for a few minutes. Shute sipped some soda he brought along, pondering what Captain said. He finished it off and crushed the can in his hand, breaking the silence of the swamp.
"I see your point." He tucked the can down at the bottom of the boat for later disposal. "So why are we talking about Bakunetsumaru and Zero again?"
"I ... don't know." Captain admitted before receiving a tug on his pole. "Shute, my pole jerked by itself ..." Shute moved over to where Captain was sitting.
"You have a bit Captain, that was fast! Reel it in!" Captain turned his head to his friend.
"I-I do??" He turned back to the line, being pulled in fiercely. "But I don't want a bite!" Shute tilted his head to the side.
"Why not?"
"Well ..." Captain looked down at the wooden floor of the boat. "I was designed and created to protect all living things in Neotopia. I was made for that purpose, not to go around killing fish for fun." Shute blinked and put his hand behind his head.
"Oh, I'm sorry ... you could have told me if you didn't want to go fishing." Captain pulled on his rod.
"What am I supposed to do with this?"
"Reel it in!"
"Do I have to?"
"Do you want it to suffer and have an prolonged painful death?" Captain reeled his line in sadly. Shute went back to his line and pulled it out of the water. "I guess we could go if you want. Sorry I didn't think about that earlier..."
"Um ... Shute?" Shute dumped the bucket of shrimp into the water, them swimming away immediately.
"Yeah," He said while washing out the bucket and pulling up the anchor.
"I don't think this is a fish..." Shute turned toward his friend before his eyes grew twice their size. His mouth dropped open as he began to panic.
"Captain, that's a baby alligator!!" Captain took his eyes off of the thrashing reptile and turned them to his friend.
"Yes it is," He confirmed. Shute bit down on his fingernail while examining the creature. The hook was trapped at the corner of it's mouth, piercing from the inside to the outside.
"Um," Shute thought for a second. "We should get it off the hook then run like mad!"
"Shute, we're in a boat. We can't run-"
"When we get to the dock, then we run like mad!" He attempted to get a good hold of the hook but the alligator continued to squirm and snap his jaws the moment Shute got his hand near the mouth. "Or maybe we should just cut the line..."
"Shute, we can't rush through this and hurt the thing! It's our fault in the begin with."
"We have to hurry Captain!!" Shute exclaimed in a frantic tone. "If we don't, the mother alligator will come and eat us! If it could eat you at all ..." Captain glanced back at the tiny reptile and picked it up. He reached his hand in the mouth and grabbed the hook with his index finger and thumb. The baby futilely chewed on Captain's fingers, causing no damage whatsoever. He used his other hand to hold the baby's head still as he carefully pulled the hook out. Captain then picked up the alligator by the tail and slipped it into the water. Shute sweatdropped.
"Oh right ... I could have thought of that ..."
"So ... do we run like mad now?" Shute restrained a laugh and nodded.
"Yeah. Sure."