SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Heart to Heart ❯ Beautiful Protection ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ok, here's blurblet number two of friendship/relationship fics. This one happens to be between Zero and Captain. Just because I think the relationship is interesting.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own SD gundam. I don't own anything. In fact, SD gundam probably owns me.
 
 
-ZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAIN-
 
The realm of Neotopia is beautiful, Zero noted as he returns from the farmer's market. Shute's mother had decided to have a large supper on a whim and subsequently the entire Gundam Force had dispersed in order to gather all in her ingredient list. The dear lady was a far more demanding taskmaster than Chief Haro could hope to be, the Wing Gundam thought.
 
And so, eggs and milk in hand, the countryside flashed past beneath him. Perhaps he had gone too far in his quest for superior eggs? Only the best for a lady, he reminded himself, and flew onward. Besides, he could close any distance in no time at all. What were miles to those with wings?
 
The familiar road came into view; Shute's house could be seen in the distance. Below him, Captain Gundam and Shute carted a few bags of flour behind them that were presumably borrowed from Shute's classmate. The princess was generous as ever, thought Zero as he descended. They would not be lacking for pastries for a while.
 
“What, ho!” Zero laughed as he lazily floated down to his companions, dairy successfully obtained. “You're back so soon? I was about to think that I would be waiting awhile!”
 
The boy smiled happily, the wheels of his little red wagon squeaking softly. “No, Sayla had a lot of extra and she let us have some! I thought we might have to go all the way to the supermarket on the other side of town!”
 
“Shute,” inquired Captain while hefting a large bag over his shoulder, “Are all of these sacks really necessary?”
 
The boy nodded. “Yup; this way mom won't have to buy any more for a month!”
 
“Clever.” Zero commended, but then floated higher in the air. “I will drop my load off with Lady Marxworth. Perhaps she has another requirement for tonight's supper.”
 
Shute waved good-bye as his other friend zoomed off into the air, closing the distance with little effort. The afternoon sun lazily grinned overhead, too-early crickets softly fiddling away in the bushes below him. The knight gundam sighed.
 
It was beautiful, he thought. But how is beauty affected, when ugliness stretches wide its terrible maw?
 
-@-
 
“That was a most agreeable supper.” Zero smiled as Captain began to ready himself in returning to base for the night. “Perhaps you should go by trade as a cook!”
 
It was a recent development, that Captain Gundam had learned how to look embarrassed. “Well, I, um,” Captain admitted. “I only helped a little. Ms. Marxworth did most of the cooking.”
 
“Do not be so humble.” Zero teased slightly, but then his tone turned a little more grim. “You are off to your base, is that right?”
 
“Affirmative. I will return tomorrow.”
 
“Then all is settled, but,” Zero asked. “Would you grace a question of mine with an answer, Captain?”
 
The Neotopian gundam looked surprised, but turned away from the road and faced the Winged Knight with a nod. “What is it you want to know?”
 
There was a pause, a pause that was wider than the sky overhead. Slowly the words came from Zero as if he almost was hesitant to release them, like a flight of hawks in his speech.
 
“Is our purpose… unsightly?” He asked carefully. His last word hung in the air, laughing at it's own obscurity.
 
“I do not know what you mean.”
 
“War is not elegant, it is no graceful dance two factions tread.” Zero clarified. “Being one of those factions, are we not part of the repulsiveness that threatens to overwhelm? It this world were not in danger, none of us would be needed.”
 
It took a moment for Captain to answer. “My purpose is to serve and protect. If it is attractive or not, that is not the question. If there's something ugly, it is the Dark Axis.”
 
“And if this world loses its beauty? What then?”
 
“My purpose is to serve and protect, regardless of defeat. I will not let Neotopia fall.”
 
Slowly Zero closed his eyes, as if thinking. The statement sounded familiar, a mantra he himself prescribed to. Protect the Princess. Protect Lecroa.
 
Regardless of defeat.
 
“You are very wise, Captain.” Zero said. “Now, get thee to base. Tomorrow's a new day, after all.”
 
And with that, he sprang to the air, the only place he could call home, if only the barest sense.
 
Perhaps Captain was right, and only half of the fight was a horror. He likened it to dancing with a terrible beast, the need to be one step ahead of his monstrous foe. But it played out with measure, with grace, with a kind of unseen elegance that only captivated those that looked for it.
 
The defenders of this world did not bear the hatred, were not the unsightly ones. Perchance this world was not rent into ugliness quite yet. Neotopia was still beautiful. Maybe he was too, if he was defending it. Defense was always to be a fine thing, of only
 
Beautiful Protection.
 
-ZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAINZEROCAPTAIN-
 
Taa daaa… *coughhack*