SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ One Morning ❯ Sunrise ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
A/n: Takes place at some point before the "Mystery of Lacroa" episodes. I meant them to have a conversation, /really/... but it just didn't happen. Perhaps in another fic, then.

***

Shute was awake, watching the sunrise. This wouldn't be anything unusual, except that he wasn't often awake by this time. Or rather, that he had not yet fallen asleep.

"Aah man, I'm so tired," he lamented and stretched. "But I just can't fall asleep, no matter what I try." He fell backwards, back against the walkway that connect his workshop with the house, eyes to the sky. Only then did he see Zero.

The Winged Knight was standing on the edge of the roof, staring out at the sunrise. If he had noticed Shute, he made no sign of it.

Shute sat up, wondering what he was doing here at this time. The motion must have caught Zero's attention finally, for then he looked down. "Oh, hello Shute. How are you this fine morning?" It was his normal politeness, but Shute could detect a sad undertone.

"Hey Zero," he called back. "Not much.. couldn't sleep, that's all."

"Ah," Zero said distantly, returning his gaze to the sun.

Shute watched him. He really didn't know much about the Knight Gundam, when thought about it; all he knew that he was from a magical homeland the Dark Axis had invaded, and that he'd protect a lady with his life. Nothing beyond that.

Several minutes passed. Shute fidgeted, wanting to say something but also feeling that it wasn't right. He looked away, toward the sun. It was almost the time of morning he normally got up, but he still didn't feel sleepy.

Above him he heard the soft noise of Zero's flight magic, and he looked up to find the Knight had departed without a word.

Feeling vaguely like he'd missed an opportunity for something, Shute stood and walked back to his house. Maybe he would be able to fall asleep now.