SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ SD Gundam Force Christmas Carol ❯ Grapley and Past-Hime ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Eventually, the work day came to an end, and it was time to close up the business for the night. It was at that time that Captain came to Zapper with a proposal.
“Sir?” Captain asked. “Tomorrow is…Christmas.”
“So?” Zapper growled, as he put away some folders.
“And it is acceptable to give the employees at a business time off on that day,” Captain continued.
“Fine,” Zapper said, “Be here at seven-thrity.”
“Ahh,” Captain said uneasily, “I do not think a half-hour is what is acceptable at Christmas time.”
“Oh really?” Zapper sneered, giving Captain a mean look. “And what would be acceptable at Christmas time?”
Captain paused for a moment before saying, “The entire day, sir.”
Zapper was so floored by the concept that he didn't lose his cool. “The whole day?”
“Sir,” Captain said, deciding to press his advantage, “Almost every other business will be closed tomorrow, you will have no one to do business. Simply by remaining open, you will lose money on heating and lights.”
Zapper fumed, but he had to admit Captain had a point. “Fine, take the day off.” He muttered at last.
 
Zakozakozakozako
 
The house Zapper lived in was one he inherited from his now-deceased business partner, Grappler Gouf. Unfortunately, not many people could tell that the building belonged to anyone, seeing as Zapper paid the bare minimum in upkeep. The paint was peeling, several locks on the inside were broken, and the only rooms that looked livable were the ones Zapper lived in. In short, it was a dreary, beaten-down relic of a living space. Unfit for decent people. Which suited Zapper just fine.
As Zapper unlocked his door, he noticed something strange. The knocker had begun to swell up and change, until it resembled the head of-
“Guh-guh… Grappler Gouf?” Zapper gasped, taking a step back.
The tiny head glared at him for a moment, before yelling, “Zapper!”
“Aaargh!” Zapper dived behind a mail box in fear. After a moments silence, he peeked out. To his surprise, the knocker had returned to normal, not looking like Grappler's head in any way or form. After staring at the inert door thingy, Zapper said, “Bah. Humbug.” And let himself in.
But the incident had made him a bit wary. Taking a light, he searched each and every room of his house. Finding nothing, but still unsatisfied, Zapper took a cup of cheap, bargain-brand pre-packaged glop(Served normally in military camps) and decided to go to bed with a club. For a little bit, it seemed as if he might be able to get a good nights sleep. Just as he was about to turn in, he heard it. The sound of chains rattling.
“Zapper…”
Zapper groaned and reached for his club. He turned to the door, preparing to bludgeon any who would come through it. To his surprise, no one came through. Then he felt a tap on his shoulder.
Turning around, he fell over when he saw a grey tinged figure, wrapped in chains.
“Grappler Gouf!?” Zapper cried, as he stumbled away, “Wha- Wha- I thought you were dead!”
“I did die, Zapper,” the ghost(For that's what he was) of Grappler Gouf said, readjusting a chain.
“But-but-but, what're you doing here!? And what's with those chains!?” Zapper sputtered, uncomprehending.
“These chains are my punishment for all my years of greed while alive,” Grappler said (over)dramatically, “Each link representing an unpaid sin, weighing my body down as it would my heart,”
“That's deep,” Zapper commented.
“Listen,” Grappler said a bit more seriously, “The reason I'm here is to warn you that if you continue to live the way you are, you'll end up like me, in spades.”
“But I like the way I live!” Protested Zapper, “Why should I change?”
“Weren't you listening?!” Grappler groaned, “You'll end up like me. And to show you why you should change, three ghosts are coming.”
Zapper felt a headache coming on. “More ghosts?” He asked.
“The first will come at 1 AM,” Grappler went on. “See ya not-so-soon, pal.” And he vanished, leaving no trace of his presence but a chill in the air.
Zapper spent the rest of the night in bed, muttering, “I ain't a-scared of no ghosts” over and over, and just when he was about to finally drift off to sleep-
BING!
-The clock chimed one.
Suddenly, the room was bathed in a brilliant light. Standing in the zenith of it was a young, beautiful girl, wearing a flowing white gown.
“Who...Who are you?” Zapper asked, awestruck.
“I am the ghost of Christmas Past,” The girl said, “Come.”
“Come?” Zapper asked. He stepped out of his bed. “Come where?”
The Ghost took Zapper's hand. “To what happened before.”
In a dazzling display of sparkles, Zapper witnessed the early years of his life. Growing up as poor boy, scrimping and saving just to get by, barely, he saw it all pass by. And then, he was at his old job at Kibaomaru's firm, working alongside his friend, Grappler Gouf…
“It's that time of year again, Grappler,” the young Zapper said to his then-living friend.
“Decorations up,” Grappler said, looking at the boughs of holly strewn over the walls, “Must be Christmas.”
It was a tradition at Kibaomaru's firm to celebrate the season holiday with a Christmas party. It also meant a holiday bonus for all employees. It was at that moment Kibaomaru himself came by, taking with an aid.
“And tell them to bring three barrels of eggnog because two wasn't enough- Hello, Zaku. Gouf.” He nodded at the two, taking himself out of his discussion with the aid for the moment. “Having good Christmas, are you?”
“Certainly!” Zapper answered, swelling up a bit.
“Speaking of the Christmas…” Grappler began, but Kibaomaru silenced him by holding up a hand.
“Your Christmas Bonuses are in your desks, in the gift wrapped envelopes.” He said calmly. Upon seeing the relieved looks on their faces, he continued. “And what are you going to spend them on? Christmas presents for the family?”
“Heck no!” Zapper cried, “We aren't losing our cash THAT quickly!”
“We're saving up to start our own business,” Gouf went on, “And we need all the cash we can get!”
And as the party started, the years suddenly went by again, faster than ever. Zapper watched as he and Grappler did start that business, going as far to beat out their old boss into a poor house. He watched in horror as his friend died, as he cut his workforce down to the bare minimum, until only Captain Gundam remained.
“Why are you making me watch this?” He demanded to the Ghost of Christmas Past, feeling sadder than had in…decades. “Why torture me?!”
“The things we see are what has gone before,” The ghost said calmly. “They are what they are because of your decisions. It has nothing to do with me.”
“Just…go!” Zapper yelled, flinging his arms at her.
Without a word, the Ghost of Christmas Past faded into nothingness, leaving the metal miser alone in his dark room.