Serial Experiments Lain Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ w|RED woLf ❯ |ch| ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

eat You WITH

All the better,

all the better.

aLL the be¬er ¬O

ôKAMI wA ¬¬¬

¬KAMI

|

03¬%20+alt+0244%alt+0212¬¬

¬

Updating your Configuration settings.

This may take a few minutes.|

|

Please wait while Program Settings ¬formats User Profile to accep |

03¬_%vir.exe¬¬WININST~000

oVER¬ide

|

oVErrid¬EN

|

confirm¬d. StaTus: OVERRI¬den.

|

WININST~000/config.exeO¬erridden.SETTINGS

WININST~000/config.exe/No¬¬~_Protect\Override¬_

Pro¬lem detect.

Over¬~Authori¬_%

|

WININST~000/config.exe/¬/Norton Protect.\overridden.

|

TESTconfirmed. Status: overridden.

vir.exe installation complete.

BEGIN INFECT

¬

Ôkami_

waiyâdo no ôkami

|

Lain Iwakura watched the words roll across the screen. "'Waiyâdo no Ôkami…?'" she questioned to the empty room. "What are the 'Wired Wolves?'"

The screen blinked. It flashed white for a brief second, then turned a disconcerting shade of grey.

nOT¬ it read.

The screen cleared. Not¬ Wired Wolves.

Lain blinked. Had it responded to her voice…?

w|RED woLf. Please say it correctly, Lain. Arigatô.

Lain looked at the screen. "…Hai. w|RED woLf." She regarded the screen. Could it see her? Or did it only hear her voice? "…Are there more than one of you?"

The screen cleared again. Yes, the w|RED woLf exists in systems other than your own. The scrolling text paused, as if in thought. However, I do not know if I am to be considered one being or separate beings, since I - the screen scrolled back over the last word -the w|RED woLf is a collective.

Lain nodded, though the screen could not see her. "Are you the w|RED woLf?"

I… do not know. I believe I am.

"The w|RED woLf is a collective… a collective of viruses?"

Not exactly. The w|RED woLf is a collective of beings; we - the screen backspaced - I - backspace -the w|RED woLf lives in the Wired, coexisting with suitable systems. It is operated by the One called B|G.

"The One…? B|G?" Lain blinked. "Is this One a being, too?"

I… am not certain. B|G might be a ningen such as yourself, though I doubt it. To undertake something of this magnitude, B|G would have to be exponentially more intelligent than a ningen.

"'Something of this magnitude…?' What are you talking about? You seemed very confused before."

The screen cleared. Magnitude¬ someTH|NG

It cleared again.

B|G¬ it said, and went blank. The grey color gradually faded back to normal.

Lain tilted her head to one side, regarding the departed w|RED woLf. "I wonder… it acted like it had said too much, and then it glitched and went away." She pressed the power button; the screen came on as it always did and greeted her normally. All traces of the w|RED woLf had disappeared.

"But… is it - is he - really gone?"