Sky High Fan Fiction ❯ Maroon Heart ❯ Prologue: Diaries ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


During the Power Placement, I was chosen to be a hero. I don’t want to be a hero. But I found it rather enjoyable, my classes, that is. I was able to get a lot of friends that could or would help me in a bind. What I didn’t realize was that I was treading on my father’s toes while I was at it. If only I’d known that long before I met.... him.

Lelya looked up at the opposite wall. This was the diary of a friend of her’s. This was the diary of a friend that was lying in a hospital bed with tubes pumping air into her lungs and burns and broken skin. This was the diary of Candice, Candy was her nick name around Leyla.

How I got into Power Placement in the first place is beyond me. In fact, I have no idea how I even got into Sky High in the first place. Maybe I’m just a lucky “half-evil” girl who just has a hard time understanding how she gets into strange situations.

Leyla snapped it shut. The girl she’d come to admire, in her strength and will-power, was also holding secrets that Leyla hadn’t ever heard. Maybe, just maybe, it was a bad idea to be reading this diary.

But in her heart, Leyla could still hear those screams of agony and the look of her charred and broken limbs. Leyla and Will had rushed her to a hospital while Warren, Magenta, and Zach kept fighting the guy to distract him. Leyla could still see those wide, broken, tear-soaked eyes that stared at nothing.

Leyla opened the diary again.

Let me take you back, back to the beginning of my miserably odd life. Before Power Placement, before high school, before I even knew life beyond my bedroom.

“Yes, please, tell me everything.” Leyla curled up on the soft, dark-clothed bed that was her friend’s sleeping area. Quickly, Leyla took a look around.

The room pretty much screamed that it was Candy’s room. There were posters on the walls of rock bands and her brother. Candy was on a few of the posters, too. There was a book shelf where she had hundreds upon hundreds of books, journals, and even her second diary. The walls were painted black with red streaks at random places and a white trim along the floor and ceiling. It was Candy all over the place.

Leyla sighed and looked back down.

I was born an odd little girl. In the year 1987. Well, actually, it was 1986 when I was born, but the day I finally was healthy enough to leave the hospital the next day, it was 1987. I’m a “New Year’s baby” and it’s fun to have a party rather than a birthday celebration at my house.

Of course, nobody told me that my life would take a down-turn when I became a toddler, well, nobody except my mother, who held her tongue, even now.