Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ One Big Family ❯ Sendoh Akira at Shohoku ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Two: Akira Sendoh at Shohoku
 
 
 
Akira scrutinized the dining hall, wondering who he could possibly sit with. He didn't want to have to eat alone. A few girls waved at him but he didn't really know any of them. He thought of finding Kaede, but he knew that he would never eat with him--- especially because of the fact that he hasn't accepted that they are now related. Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone had called him up.
 
"Sendoh-san! Come eat with us!"
 
He smiled, looking at the person who called him. The Shohoku High's basketball team, welcoming him from afar. He was so glad that they, his probably new teammates had asked him to come over.
 
"Hello, Kogure-san, Akagi-san! So nice of you to invite me to eat with you guys!"
 
"It's nothing." Kogure replied with a smile.
 
As he sat on one of the chairs, a blue-haired guy came closer to them.
 
"Yo." He replied, and with a shocked face, he turned to Akira. "wait a minute!!!!"
 
"I'm Sendoh. Sendoh Akira." He stretched his hand out towards the other boy, who shook it a bit hesitantly.
 
"Sendoh from Ryonan, right?"
 
"Sendoh from Shohoku now!" He replied with a smile.
 
"Yeah, I guess so. I'm Mitsui Hisashi."
 
"Yeah, number fourteen. We've met on court a few times though we've never been formally introduced until now..."
 
"So you're going to school here now, huh?" Mitsui remarked. "What one earth had happened?"
 
 
"Mitsui-kun, I don't think Sendoh-san wants to be interrogated right now." Akagi replied, finishing his cola.
 
"Please, it's Akira. And I don't mind answering his questions at all!" Akira smiled inwardly. "What was that that you wanted to know, Mitsui-san?"
 
"Call him 'Michi'! Not Mitsui-san. He likes that better!" A cheerful voice interjected as a lunch tray was banged down onto the table beside Akira.
 
Akira twisted around and looked up to find a boy with flaming red hair looking down at him. He nearly choked on the cookie that Kogure had given him. This was Shohoku's number ten! He realized. No mistaking it, what with the bright red hair and that loud, rather arrogant voice. It's Sakuragi Hanamichi, the hot tempered forward. God. He looks so stupid in person! He found himself grinning suddenly.
 
"Hey! Kogure made cookies again!" The red head crowed happily, snatching one up despite of Mitsui's protests. " Yummy!"
 
"They're not only yours..." Mitsui grumbled under his breath.
 
"You want it, you can have it back." Hanamichi opened his mouth wide, letting them all have a view of the gooey mess within that was all that remained of the cookie that he had stuffed all at once into his mouth.
 
"I changed my mind."
 
"I knew you would, Michi!" Hanamichi flopped down onto the seat beside Akira, brushing his fiery red locks off his eyes. "I mean, come on! What's a cookie to yah?" He made a big show of winking suggestively before attacking the pile of food on his tray.
 
"What are you doing here, anyways? Where's the Hanamichi gang?"
 
"Detention." Hanamichi replied, in between mouthfuls of food. "Couldn't find anybody else to sit with so I had to settle for you guys. I mean, I know you're surprised that the Tensai decided to grace you with his presence but you guys are the people that support my incredible performance on court, aren't you?"
 
"Shut up with all the Tensai crap before I throw up everything that I just had for lunch."
 
"What's that supposed to mean, Michi?"
 
"Hey, Hanamichi." Kogure interjected. He knew where all this needling was going to lead and he didn't think the cafeteria ladies would appreciate a punch up right now. "Have you met Akira?"
 
"I slaughtered him on court a couple of times!"
 
"As I recall, it was the other way around!" Akira corrected him, grinning.
 
"Then you recall wrong!" Hanamichi retorted with a snort. "Nobody defeats the great Tensai!"
 
Mitsui snickered at this. He had to give it to the guy. He was a lot more tolerant of the idiot than he would ever be. "Give it up already, Hanamichi. This guy is a player that's way out of your league!"
 
"I'm afraid that you're thinking way too much of me." Akira replied humbly.
 
"He's right, you know, Michi." Hanamichi agreed, nodding adamantly. "He's not that great! Not when compared with my genius."
 
"You can bash him if you want, you know." Mitsui informed Akira. That's what he would have done by then if he had had to listen to this sort of crap spouting from the red head about his ball playing abilities. "Don't mind captain and Kogure."
 
"Oh, I think it's good for a guy to have confidence in himself and his abilities," Akira replied well naturedly. Hanamichi certainly did seem to have those qualities in him. "That's what makes a good player."
 
Hanamichi tipped his head to one side, a smile on his lips. "You're not like any of the other guys on the team." He remarked. "I like you."
 
Akira nodded. "That's good. Because I was hoping to join the Shohoku basketball club, if nobody minded."
 
"Why should anyone mind?" Kogure asked. There had been no question in his mind that Ryonan's star player would have a position in the team. They could always use more good players. "Any other team would jump to have you join them!"
 
"Kaede made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want me on court with him unless I'm on the opposing side." Akira replied by way of explanation.
 
Hanamichi snorted. "Who cares what the baka Kitsune thinks? You're gonna be on the team and that's that."
 
"It's not as though you're the one who make's those kind of decisions, you idiot." Mitsui pointed out.
"But I really think that there'll be no problem with you joining the team! I, for one, would prefer to have you playing with us instead of against us..."
 
"But the moment you reveal any of the Tensai's secret strategy to those Ryonan guys is the moment that you die a slow and painful death." Hanamichi warned him, drawing a finger across his throat in a slashing motion.
 
"I understand." Akira murmured, almost chuckling thinking that he was joking. Kogure sighed, and mouthed that he should just ignore him.
 
"As for Rukawa, well, the guy doesn't really like anybody. He's not really a team player, you know?" Mitsui told him. "He's pretty much a loner."
 
"Yeah. I know about that. Even at home he doesn't say much."
 
"At home?" Kogure repeated, raising an eyebrow questioningly at this comment. Everyone switched glances to Akira. Akira suddenly felt surprised that they didn't know.
 
"Well, yeah. He's my brother. My step-brother, that is." Akira explained. "My mother got married to his dad just a while ago so we had to move into their house. That's the reason that I had to transfer schools. Because Ryonan High is so far away from home."
 
"Wait!" Mitsui frowned. He had had no idea whatsoever about anything that the guy was talking about. "You're saying that Rukawa is your brother NOW?"
 
"Step-brother, yeah." Akira looked at him quizzically. "You mean that none of you guys knew anything about this at all? I would have thought that Kaede would have spoken to you guys about it or something!"
 
"The Kitsune doesn't talk to anybody. He's the most frigid little bastard I've ever met in my life!"
 
"Hanamichi!"
 
"Well, its true, Kogure." Hanamichi said, shrugging. "He is. And I pity you for having to live with that block of ice." He gave Akira a consoling pat on the back.
 
"Just let me get this straight, he told nobody at all about it?" Akira asked disbelievingly. "Not even his friends?"
 
"What friends?" Mitsui demanded, gesturing to a table by one corner of the cafeteria where Kaede sat eating alone, plugged into his mp3 player.
 
"He doesn't talk to even you guys?"
 
"As I've said before, he's not a team player but he does okay on his own so nobody really minds."
 
"So I'm not the only person that he completely ignores?" Akira felt a wave of relief at this. So that must mean that Kaede didn't really hate his guts after all! He just acted that way with everybody!
 
"The world is just one big inconvenience for him to ignore."
 
Akira watched Kaede as he began to nod off over his food. "Poor guy. He must be so miserable! So lonely."
 
Hanamichi grunted. "He deserves that for the way that he's always acting!"
 
"Nobody deserves that!" Akira protested, "I know! Let's call him over here!"
 
"No!" The red head protested, shaking his head furiously.
 
Akira glanced over at Kogure who just shrugged. Mitsui made to open his mouth in protest, but was unable to get a word out when Kogure pinched him sharply, preventing him from doing so. "I think it's a good idea." He declared.
 
"Great! I'll go over there and wake him up then!" Akira declared, getting to his feet. "Hanamichi, you want to come with me?"
 
The red head stayed right where he was, as appealing as the older boy's smile was. "Don't look at me. I'm not stupid enough to get anywhere near the Kitsune after he's just woken up! He's your step-brother and you're the one that wants him here. You do it."
 
 
From the very beginning Kaede had hated Akira. First he had disliked him, seeing him as a rival on court, and now disliked him even more, if that was possible, because of the fact that he had dared to interfere into his family life as well. Everything about him irritated him. It was as though the guy had been created for the express purpose of making his life miserable. And created well. Right now, the fact that the bastard was talking to the do'aho. Another person he hated.
 
He wondered if Akira's mother would mind awfully if he went up there and clobbered the bastard to death with his lunch tray. Deciding that maybe she would, seeing how upset she had gotten when he had stomped that stupid toy drum of Yukiro's to oblivion, he contented himself with coming up with all sorts of imaginative ways that he could make Akira's life miserable.
 
"Hey there, Kaede-kun!"
 
Speaking of the devil. Kaede kept his eyes tightly shut, as though Akira would just suddenly self destruct if he chose not to acknowledge his presence.
 
"Kaede-kun?"
 
"I'm sleeping." He answered ruefully.
 
Akira smiled at this. "No you're not. You can't talk while you're sleeping."
 
"I can do a lot of things while I'm sleeping."
 
"So I heard." Akira agreed. "But come on. You can sleep just as well with us in our table, I think." He shrugged by his stubbornness. How could he cope with this situations?
 
 
 
 
A/N: Sorry for the long delay.