Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ When enemies become friends ❯ 02: A Vs B & C Vs D ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Revised by Meeksins, 290409.
 
Disclaimer: I did not create SLAM DUNK.
Author's Note: This chapter is my favourite part of the fic.
Wanna say anything about my fic just e-mail me: at yuki_ne@hotmail.com.
My thanks~ ^-^
02: Group A Vs Group B & Group C Vs Group D
Three days later...
It was in the afternoon, and the Kanagawa basketball team representatives were having their usual training practice session. The three coaches namely Taoka sensei from Ryonan, Takato sensei from Kainan and Anzai sensei from Shohoku had divided each of their team members equally into four separate teams. In these four teams, members from different teams of Shohoku, Ryonan, Kainan and Shoyo were mixed together to become one entirely different group of members.
Group A, their members were Maki, Hanagata, Fukuda, Ikegami and Mitsui.
Group B, their members were Fujima, Akagi, Hasegawa, Koshino and Jin.
Group C, their members were Miyagi, Takesago (Kainan), Rukawa, Takano (Shoyo) and Nagano (Shoyo).
Group D, their members were Sendoh, Uozumi, Miyamasu (Kainan), Sakuragi and Kiyota.
Group A was to have a match with B while Group C was to have a match with D.
By the time the training practice ended, everyone collapsed from exhaustion and dehydration but it had been a satisfying game between the four teams. At least that was their coaches' opinion.
To describe the practice in short, it had been one hell of a bloody war.
***
The time was five minutes till the end of the game.
The score was 54 (A) to 54 (B).
And neither team were bulging from their places.
The point getters from each team namely Maki and Fujima were locking horns with each other, with Fujima trying to break the barrier in front of him but Maki refusing to be broken.
Akagi was under the net guarded by Hanagata who matched his towering height. He was trying to catch Fujima's eye telling him that he was ready to make a shot if he was ready.
Hasegawa and Koshino could not do much of anything to assist them since they were being closely guarded by either Mitsui or Ikegami.
Jin, on the other hand, could be marked as free; Fujima mentally noted as he glanced inconspicuously around him, since Fukuda was still pretty weak in defence.
Fujima noted the time.
It was ten seconds to the 30 seconds violation. He had to make a move fast.
Tensing a bit and looking at Maki straight in the eye with eyes clearly exposing nothing of what he had in mind, he forced his way through Maki almost making a foul but then spun around to his right. However, Maki intercepted him there but that was no problem since that was only a feint so that he could back pass the ball away from him to his left at Akagi.
Surprised at the move but not shaken, Maki did not waste any time and came after Akagi, who had the ball, to help Hanagata block his shot under the basket. Akagi raised his arms in the air intending to make the shot. Both Hanagata and Maki fell straight for his move, blocking his view of the net.
But Akagi had something else in mind. Apparently, he had read Fujima's mind because a second later while both Hanagata and Maki was still high up in the air intending to block his shot, Akagi had passed the ball to an awaiting Fujima.
However, the ball did not get into Fujima's possession. Somehow, throughout the confusion Mitsui had appeared in between Akagi and Fujima, cutting right through them and stole away the ball giving Fujima no chance of intercepting it.
"Yosh!", yelled Mitsui in triumph as he was about to make a turn and yell for a fast break but no longer than a few seconds that the ball was in his hands, Hasegawa had slapped the ball away from him, incredibly without the whistle being blown.
Now the ball was not in anyone's grasp. It was still bouncing off on its own and in danger of falling out of the line.
"The ball's still alive! Somebody catch it!", yelled Fujima who was himself running after the ball.
"Five seconds to go! Don't let them get the ball!", yelled Maki who was running neck to neck beside Fujima.
Four heads dived towards the ball which was about to fall out of line...
Maki, Fujima, Koshino and Fukuda practically bumped their heads together as they tried to scramble after the ball. Four hands tried to grasp it but it kept slipping down towards the ground.
But then...
Fukuda managed to grab hold of it. Holding it with one hand as if his life depended on it, he whammed the ball like a bat hitting a baseball into the court to no one in particular.
Ikegami lunged for it but he was too late. Jin had somehow gotten hold of the ball first before he did. Stepping behind the 3 pointer line, he executed his fatal 3 pointer shot.
He could have made the shot if Hanagata weren't suddenly in front of him and had somehow touched the ball which had already been executed into the air with the tip of his fingers and interrupted its aiming balance for the net.
A second later, the ball rebounded off at the same time the 30 seconds were up.
"All right! Nice play boys and keep it up. Less than 4 minutes to go till the end of the game so show some action! Where's the result, eh?", said Taoka sensei from the sidelines.
Takato sensei, who was beside the other sensei, was waving his favourite fan in front of his face, said, "The group who wins this game will be marked as the best team!".
'No action, huh?', thought Mitsui with some irritation as he wiped his sweat from his forehead and huffed and puffed, like the desperate wolf of the 3 pigs, from exhaustion. 'The old man must be blind'.
'What tough guys', thought Fukuda as he glanced around at Akagi and Hanagata who were sizing up each other, Koshino and Hasegawa nearly dead, Jin who looked dazed, Ikegami who looked like he could use a tank of water to drink and Maki and Fujima who were both glaring at each other like a couple of bulldogs fighting over the same bone.
'The best team, huh? Sounds great', thought Maki with a small smile of determination hanging at the edge of his lips.
'Not if I beat you first, you won't', thought Fujima, as if he had read Maki's mind, with an equally grim determination.
And that was how the next four minutes went. Long and stubborn with neither of the teams bulging from their places.
***
The time was also five minutes till the end of the game.
The only difference was the score between both teams.
Group C had scored 80 while Group D had only scored 60.
In other words, Group D was way, way behind by 20 points.
It was of course thanks to both Sakuragi and Kiyota.
Two born sarus.
Stubborn idiotic sarus.
Not for the first time, Uozumi banged both sarus on the head.
WHAM!
It sounded like a jackhammer crash landing flat onto a solid concrete ground.
But it had absolutely no effect whatsoever on them since both of them were still wringing each other's neck trying to murder one another for completely no reason at all. At least Uozumi did not think there was any logical reason at all.
"For once, can both of you stop and think to co-operate with each other and play in the game with us?!", roared Uozumi, also not for the first time.
All the other members jumped at the roar but not the two of them. They were simply too deep into their nonsense argument.
All the while throughout the game, Sendoh had looked both amused and a little bit exasperated at the both of them.
"It seems to me that the only people who could control these two are their own captains, Akagi-san and Maki-san", Sendoh drawled as he dribbled the ball which was in their possession under his hand.
Miyagi who looked more than irritated and exasperated yelled at Sakuragi. "Oi, Hanamichi! What the heck are you doing? You're supposed to be back on offense, you baka!".
He might as well have been talking into thin air since Sakuragi was ignoring him altogether.
Both Takano and Nagano just shook their heads as if they were wondering how the heck they had ended up having a pair of idiots as opponents. Takesago looked a little bit dazed and lost. Miyamasu, on the other hand, looked like he wanted out. Period. Apparently, he was suffering from the same headache as Takesago.
"Oi, Nosaru! How the heck do you suppose I get the rebounds, eh? What with you jumping up around like the wild monkey you are and blocking my way!", yelled Sakuragi angrily, his hands clutching Kiyota's front jersey in a tight choke hold.
"What the hell are you talking about, Akage saru?", yelled back Kiyota in outrage. "What rebound are you talking about?! Just because every time the ball bounces off the ring doesn't mean that I would go for the rebound, you baka! I was going to dunk it! You forever baka!".
***
A vein popped out off Taoka sensei's forehead at the idiotic display in front of him while Takato sensei (Kainan) had a huge sweat drop running down his forehead.
The Kainan coach sighed. "Yare, yare. Who had matched them to be in the same team together in the first place anyway?".
Anzai sensei, who sat beside him and who had a cup of hot herbal tea in his hands, just chuckled at that. "Ho, ho, ho".
***
"Can nobody stop them?", growled Uozumi, barely able to restrain his desire in murdering them right then and there.
Sendoh just grinned and shrugged back at him but he was eyeing a certain guy to his right who looked like he might be the only one who could finally shut both of them up.
He wondered why he didn't do it earlier.
"Oi", said a soft chilling voice suddenly behind both sarus.
Instantly, as if on automatic they both turned towards the voice, to everyone's surprise except Sendoh who was still grinning in amusement.
"Will both of you two do'ahos shut up", said Rukawa with an underlying tone of chilling menace in his soft voice.
It certainly was not a question.
Their reactions were spontaneous.
Both of them were, without saying, outraged.
"What did you just say, Rukawa?!", yelled Kiyota in outrage advancing on him as if he was the prey.
"Temme, Kitsune! Who told you to boss us around?!", yelled Sakuragi equally outraged and who were also advancing on Rukawa like Kiyota.
Rukawa who was unperturbed by their menacing advance just sighed, shrugged and shook his head.
"Whatever. After all both of you can never beat me", said Rukawa saying it as if stating it as a fact which was really the truth actually before he turned and walked away.
It was only a full minute later, did either of them react to his last departing words.
"NANI?!", yelled the both of them.
"Sendoh! Give that ball to me! I'll show that kitsune just how great I am next to him!", yelled Sakuragi rushing towards Sendoh.
"Oi, Sakuragi! Make sure you get that shot or else I'll kill you! I just can NOT stand that bakayarou's arrogance. I'll catch the rebound and dunk it if you miss it", yelled Kiyota rushing to his position.
"Who are you kidding, Nosaru", yelled Sakuragi as he caught the ball thrown by Sendoh at him and going for the net at top speed. "I'll never miss it!".
"Just shut up and shoot it. Damn it!", yelled Kiyota.
Sendoh jogged up beside Rukawa while the others defended those two sarus and drawled, "Why you didn't do that earlier, I wonder".
At first, Rukawa did not say anything but then he muttered, "What are you talking about".
Sendoh grinned. "You know I'm no fool, Rukawa. You could have stopped their nonsense earlier and save us some nice game. So why didn't you?".
Again Rukawa didn't directly answer him but then said finally, "None of your business. 20 points behind is pretty big, isn't it?".
Sendoh's grin widened as he understood what he was talking about then laughed.
"You did that on purpose so that your group can win the game, huh?".
Rukawa shrugged.
Sendoh laughed. "Then what changed your mind and stopped their nonsense?".
Again Rukawa shrugged.
Sendoh grinned. "I'll get the points back. So don't worry about it".
Rukawa slightly raised one jet black eyebrow. He glanced at the score leaf sheet and noted the time. "You've got less than four minutes to do that".
"Like I said. Don't worry. Besides, we've got Sakuragi and Kiyota back on our side".
***
In the end, it turned out that both of the first two groups were the best teams since their score was a tie.
Group A scoring 62 and Group B scoring 62.
On the other hand...
"You were saying?", said Rukawa to Sendoh when the whistle that signalled the end of the second half was blown.
With a sheepish grin and a shrug, Sendoh said, "So ok. We didn't win but we did catch up on you didn't we?".
The score was 85 (C) to 79 (D).
"I'd say both of them did a great job in the end", commented Sendoh nodding towards Sakuragi and Kiyota who had resumed to their bickering nonsense.
Rukawa just shrugged while watching both of said sarus get banged up on the head by their separate captains.
"Both of them will need to improve if we are to win against the next match we're going to face", said Rukawa.
"Ah", agreed Sendoh then shook his head. He then grinned. "Especially Sakuragi".
Rukawa frowned at that but understood what he was saying.
There was no denying that Sakuragi may prove to be a valuable player in the next game like he had been in the last one that they had.
With Sakuragi, one could never tell what he has got in his mind.
###END OF CHAPTER###
Simply my fave chapter ^_^. Anyways, reviews on this chapter are greatly appreciated!