Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ When enemies become friends ❯ 11: Two storms in one nation ; The Ultimate weapon! ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Revised by Meeksins, 290409.
 
Disclaimers: Slam Dunk belongs to Takehiko Inoue sensei. I, on the other hand, own nothing except for this fanfic and the star combi's my idea.
A/N: This is NON-YAOI. Story takes place after Shohoku's match against Sannoh. Their match against Sannoh can be found in the last six volumes of SD.
11: Two storms in one nation: The Ultimate weapon!
It goes without saying that the Akitas were a tough lot, thought one of the referees who refereed the game as he and the rest of the other two referees tried to persuade Sawakita Eiji, who still supported a bloody nose which was now wrapped up nicely so that his nose looks twice larger than normal in a couple of plasters and bandages, from playing any further in the game. After all, it's his nose that's injured. How in heck can you breathe when your nostrils were practically closed up? However, Sawakita had other plans and simply refused to sit on the bench and insisted that he was fine and can breathe as normally as anybody else.
Reluctantly, the referees finally let Sawakita have his own way and with that the chief referee blew the whistle signalling everyone to take their places for the start of the last minute game.
Sawakita watched his fellow teammate, Fukatsu, the point guard of their team, pass the ball to another fellow teammate. He then glanced at the scoreboard. He grinned inwardly. `Nice', he thought smugly, feeling some of his stressed tension leaving his body. With under 3 minutes, almost to two there was no way the Kanagawas could save themselves now. Besides, the score difference was too huge. He supposed that he should have taken the referees advice to make himself scarce and comfortable at the side bench but as the number one high school basketball player, he had to be in every step of the way of the game. So there was no way he'd be sitting on the bench and miss all the action especially one that he'd star in.
Also there's that small matter that red head freak and black haired arrogant kid needed some spanking for their arrogant attitudes and a payback especially for the latter for the last game of his team's, Sannoh, defeat against their, team, Shohoku.
Then....
The corner of his eyes caught something. A flash of... Holy Shit!
Sawakita was about to shout a warning and already on the run but he was too late!
Fukatsu who had current possession of the ball was left blinking in confusion as the ball which was there in his hands a second ago supported only thin cool air. He missed the black blur that zoomed past him.
"FALLBACK! FALLBACK! Rukawa's got it!", shouted Sawakita to his teammates as he and the others dashed at full speed to reach the other side of the court.
Ignoring the pain searing its way through his nose and the bandage that almost suffocated him in his run, Sawakita managed to get almost side to side with Rukawa. Both ran so fast, they looked like a passing blur to everyone else.
Both of them were getting closer and closer to the net which was not to Sawakita's liking. He calculated the distance between himself and his arch rival, counting down the time to steal the ball from him at the right time. Eyes focused on the ball. They were now almost entering the free throw zone.
3,2,1..
Now!
Sawakita made a lunge forward for the orange blur under Rukawa's masterful dribbling. YES! His palm got the ball....
What the...
Rukawa anticipating the move from Sawakita let him so far as touch the ball before in a split second, he made a wide 360 spin, ball in his hand and dribbled around a surprised Sawakita and dashed off in the opposite direction.
Sawakita screeched to a halt and just in time to save himself from yet again flattening his nose against the ground with another fall. Twirling on one heel, Sawakita turned to chase after Rukawa but he was too late. Rukawa, who knew by this time how the mighty Sawakita played his game, knew that Sawakita himself knew how Rukawa himself played the game which was the reason why this next move was unexpected.
As if it was the most natural move in the world, Rukawa passed the ball to the tall power forward of the Kanagawas and equally as if a river flows through a waterfall, he smoothly made a clean 3 pointer shot through the hoop.
By this time, the audience were so used to the red head's unpredictable shots that they didn't bother to get shocked. But their amazement still remained.
However, the red head still managed to shock the rest of the people from the supporters of the Kanagawas.
And they get even more shocked by the minute.
After the 3 pointer shot, earning the Kanagawas with 93 to 114 Akitas, Fukatsu passed the ball to Sawakita who had no intention of letting the ball slip out of his grasp to anyone else's raced to the other side of the court.
Suddenly out of nowhere, a wall appeared in front of him. Two solidly built, red uniformed walls with two contrasting but sharp dangerous eyes stared back at him.
Startled like hell, Sawakita managed to screech to a halt but not in time as he slammed on them like a ton of bricks but before he could push his way through them, he found himself falling forward through the open space, walls that was there a second ago vanished just like that into thin air.
Feeling the fine hairs at the back of his neck raising, he knew that both of them were already on the other side of the court.
Just as he turned around, he saw Rukawa running like the speed of light towards the net while Sakuragi was way behind him, surrounded by Fukatsu, Mikio and Kawata. They were menacingly bearing down on him daring him to run any further or make a shot.
Sakuargi did run but not any further. Fukatsu was enclosing him from the front. Mikio and Kawata were blocking his escape route around the back.
Then Sakuragi did something that in the history of the Kanagawas have never seen before.
As Fukatsu was closing in around him up front, Sakuragi jumped and swung his arm back in an arc and threw the ball like a disc into the air zooming towards the board.
At first it looked like Sakuragi was attempting a desperate try at a random shot but it wasn't.
Sawakita foresaw this as well as the other power forward from the Akitas. They made a mad dash for the hoop. Sawakita was faster but he was too late.
The ball was way off the side of the ring, no way was it going to hit the ring.
And then...
Every player on the side bench of the Kanagawas and the Akitas, all the coaches including a certain white haired coach automatically stood up unconsciously in anticipation and in suspense when...
A long arm suddenly appeared behind the orange ball, supported by a sure hand and a body that could only belong to...
"RUKAWA! HIT IT!", yelled Sakuragi already grinning all the way.
As if that was all he needed, Rukawa swung his arm, caught the ball in one hand and made a powerful dunk through the hoop.
The ball whooshed through the net like a beautiful dream.
That dunk wasn't the only thing that made the whooshed and amazed silence that waved through audience in the stadium.
The alley-oop which was perfectly executed were too great to describe.
A storm was finally brewing.
And it sure as hell was about time.
Every jaw of the Kanagawa supporters except for a chuckling old man unhinged themselves onto the ground with no time to get it back to its proper place as the storm continued to brew dangerously.
"Nice pass", Rukawa allowed himself to say.
Sakuragi grinned."Nice dunk", he returned.
Rukawa just raised an eyebrow slightly at that but Sakuragi only continued to grin.
When they were back to their positions, Rukawa noticed the subtle change in plans of the Akitas.
"A'ho", called Rukawa before the Akitas dispersed and got back to their positions.
Sakuragi raised his eyebrows questioningly at him.
"They're going to use Kawata this time so...", said Rukawa but Sakuragi was one step ahead of him.
With a grin, he said, "Ah, wakataroyou. It'll be peachy".
Rukawa's only reply to that was an upward arch of his eyebrow.
"Oi, kitsune. While they're still planning I have an idea".
This time the arch went two notches higher.
Annoyed at his reaction, Sakuragi for once, however, decided to ignore it. "Here's the plan....".
++++++++
Sakuragi was now guarding Kawata to the annoyance of Akagi but the tensai didn't have time for the Gori's tantrums now. He still had time to race against and he had to have all his concentration focused on the game if he wanted to taste the sweet glory of victory. He also still had to figure out how to steal that damn ball away from the King Kong's grip.
Sakuragi then saw Sendoh on his side. He looked like he was guarding Fukatsu with his life but he also seemed to be having fun with it. More importantly, the sunny hedgehog haired player seemed to know what Sakuragi was about to do because he was grinning his head off and sent him a slight nod and a wink his way.
Sakuragi who had no idea what that meant almost let Kawata pass through him or so he thought but Kawata managed to go to his side therefore breaking his barrier and passing through him when Sendoh slide past Kawata, smoothly slipping the ball from Kawata's grip and passed it subtly to Sakuragi. Surprised but undeterred, Sakuragi grinned his thanks at Sendoh who saluted him in a 'you're welcome' gesture before he zooming off in a blur to the other side of the court.
Realising that the ball was not in his hands anymore, Kawata yelled for a fast break and they chased down on Sakuragi.
Seeing that Rukawa was nowhere near the hoop, the Akitas knew that the red head was not going to pass it to the raven head and make another one of those stunts like the alley-oop.
However, seeing that their teammate was in trouble, the Kanagawas, who were caught up in the rhythm and the heat of the action, came to his aid.
Kiyota made his way through the maze of moving bodies and made his way to Sakuragi. Catching his eye, Sakuragi subtly passed the ball to Kiyota who slipped smoothly through the throng of players with the ball almost noiselessly bouncing off the floor from under his hand.
When the Akitas realised almost too late of the trickery, Kiyota was already making his way to make a jump shot but Kawata who was the king of rebounds for the Akitas refused to let a puny punk cross his territory and let in an easy shot. With a powerful swipe and a powerful roar that shook the board behind him, the ball zoomed away from Kiyota's hand and landed onto the ground. The impact made it bounce so high that even through the forest of hands trying to lunge for it, only the highest one caught it.
Master of jumps next only to both Sakuragi and Rukawa, Akagi jumped so high his hand went higher than the ball and he caught it in his Gori hands.
Knowing that if he landed on the ground with the ball, sneaky players from the opposing team would take that chance to snatch the ball away from him. Raising his arms high, he turned his body around and passed it to the person he knew would finish the job.
Rukawa was at the ready, and caught the ball in his hands. Not a second past that he caught the ball he immediately, jumped and made a high arch for an attempted shot.
"In your face, kid!", yelled Sawakita who suddenly sprung out of nowhere in front of him blocking his shot.
Seeing the enthusiastic effort made by his guard, Rukawa knew that he'd done it.
A slight curve found itself at the ends of his lips as Sawakita for the second or so time, accidentally tapped his outstretched arm.
Sawakita's eyes widened at the realisation and remembrance.
Rukawa made the shot.
"Shit!", yelled Sawakita as the ball made its way to the hoop.
"In your face", Rukawa returned with the slightest of smirks at a pissed off Sawakita as the ball went through the hoop earning yet another 3 points for the Kanagawas.
Sakuragi who witnessed the exchange, later asked him what that was all about after Rukawa made the one free throw earning the Kanagawas with the total score of 99 Kanagawas to 114 Akitas.
Rukawa just shrugged and made no comment.
Dissatisfied but letting that pass, Sakuragi noted the score and the time. The score difference were 15 points with the Akitas still in the lead but the flow of the game was currently in their favour. However, the Akitas were tough adversaries. There's no telling until when their favour will hold. Especially since the odds were against them since time was still not on their side.
Sakuragi's idea was to get the Akitas make as much fouls as possible, the ones that would benefit the Kanagawas especially if they get free throws. However, that idea would not last because the Akitas might get onto his plan. Especially since Sawakita had already been tricked into doing it twice. Unless the baldie was being careless, they could pull another stunt like that again on him but he did not think that would work again on the top recognised player.
"Oi, Gori!", called out Sakuragi to Akagi, jogging towards him.
The so called Gori looked inquiringly at him and Sakuragi asked him if he had any plans, anything at all to defeat the Akitas for the last 2 minutes.
Akagi frowned and said he drew a blank. His mind was too much on pounding the other primate, Kawata, to pieces anyway to think of anything much of else.
Sakuragi knew that the wild monkey would be of no help at all and so consulted Sendoh instead.
Sendoh wasn't much of a help either. But unlike Akagi he did advice Sakuragi on one thing.
"Sakuragi, relax will you? And try to have fun in the game. Be happy, kiddos, like me (Sakuragi made a face at this). Because if you don't your mind as well as your body won't be happy either and they'll only make you even more stressed out and uncoordinated with your jumbled thoughts and frantic moves. Just enjoy the game, Sakuragi".
Oh, make that 2 advices.... or not.
"By the way, Sakuragi", said Sendoh with his sunny grin and thumbs up. "We'll win this one, kiddo. You know why?".
Sakuragi shook his head.
Sendoh's grin never let up.
"2 reasons".
Sakuragi waited for Sendoh to explain but it was obvious that the spiky haired player had no intention of elaborating any more than what he had just said.
Just as the whistle blew, Sakuragi called out. "Sendoh! What are the 2 reasons?".
Again Sendoh made no move to answer except for his infuriating sunny grin.
A bit pissed off by Sendoh, Sakuragi returned to his position still mulling over what those two reasons could be.
Rukawa who had witnessed the exchange asked him what that was all about. Sakuragi explained briefly and then asked Rukawa if he knew what Sendoh was talking about.
Rukawa's only reply was a thoughtful frown and a thoughtful silence.
Assuming that the kitsune also didn't have any idea what Sendoh was talking about proceeded to forget what Sendoh had just said. However, Rukawa did understand what Sendoh was talking about and knew what the two reasons were or at least he suspected he knew what they were but there was no way in hell he'd tell the red head idiot what the 2 reasons were. One of the reasons sure but the other, you have got to be kidding. And yet, what Sendoh had said was true. He wasn't going to admit it out loud though.
The last one minute went in a blur, with the Kanagawas scoring 7 more shots, some by the help of throw ins and 3 pointers, but the Akitas also scored 2 other points.
The current score now was 106 Kanagawas to 116 Akitas.
"Shit. We're still behind them by ten points", said Sakuragi under his breath, glaring at the scoreboard as if it was the scoreboard's fault that they were not going anywhere near the opponents score.
A hand found its way to slap on Sakuragi's head at the same time a voice said, "Oi, a'ho. Don't get distracted. We need a plan".
Turning his gaze to glare instead at Rukawa, Sakuragi growled. "Though I am a tensai, I admit. I'm drawing a blank on a possible plan. The damn one minute timing is damn killing my way of thinking", Sakuragi excused himself.
Rukawa gave the slightest roll of his eyes and a puff of slight sigh of exasperation but did not comment. He did frown, however.
The other three players came over.
"Damn. How in hell are we going to get through this if don't have a solid plan in our hands?", demanded an agitated Kiyota, eyes flashing.
"Calm down, Kiyota. Things will turn be ok", said Sendoh easily, as if they were not about to lose the game and that they had all the time in the world.
Akagi who was growing a pounding tick on his temple at Sendoh's and Kiyota's continuous banter slammed their heads on one another, ignoring their yelps of pain and calmly said, “Even though we don't have a solid plan in our hands, we still have to keep up with 5 things. Rebound, score, speed, offense and defence. especially the first two. We can't afford to let the Akitas get in another score or else we're as good as gone. Got that?".
Everyone acknowledged him this.
"Good. Ok, here's the deal. Sendoh, Kiyota and myself, we'll be doing the defence so that leaves Rukawa and Sakuragi on the heavy offense. Agreed?".
Nods and murmurs of agreement all around.
Before returning back to their stations, Akagi reminded his former Shohoku juniors.
"You two. We'll be depending on you now so no funny stuff. Work as a team", said Akagi half in encouragement and half in warning.
Both Sakuragi and Rukawa did not respond to that.
++++++++++++
One in minute on the clock.
Ready? Set...
GO!
They were off!
Fukatsu was now in possession of the ball. Sendoh in front of him, grinning his face off. What the hell was he doing? Talking in the game to his opponent? But never mind that. The stone faced Fukatsu was ignoring the hell out of the crap the hedgehog haired player was spewing and only has eyes focused on the situation ahead of him.
Eyes glanced on the left then on the right. Huh. His teammates the power foward and small forward were on either side of him ready to spring into action on the slightest of signals from their leader. An opening... where the hell was it?
There! The right one too.
Fukatsu slipped through the break of Sendoh's barrier and was about to pass it to Sawakita when he found himself having a face off with a grinning cheeky Sendoh.
"Yoh! Predictable aren't you?", said Sendoh before he slapped the ball from Fukatsu and made a grab for it and dashed his way to the other side of the court yelling fast break to the rest of his team.
Damnation! How the hell did all the Akitas save for Fukatsu got there so fast? Dammit! But never mind. Minor setback. The Kanagawas can do this. How much time do they have left? Huh! Can't get distracted now. Screw the scoreboard and the time. They can do this.
Sendoh quickly scanned his surroundings. Eyes intent on his left. His guard, the power forward of the other team fell for it while the ball bounced its way to the clutches of Rukawa.
Upon receiving the ball, the raven haired player wasted no time. He made a dash for the 3 pointer shot zone but the hell! Sawakita was sticking to him like glue and his barrier refused to be penetrated.
Gori came to rescue. He barrelled his way through, leaving his charge, the other primate behind, to get to Rukawa. Rukawa saw him, gave him the slightest of nods before he slipped to the other side. Sawakita could have blocked him but Akagi had just in time slipped himself in between him and Rukawa effectively blocking him from getting Rukawa.
Rukawa was already in mid air, behind the 3 pointer shot line executing his shot. But damn a busy body just made his way through and blocked his view! It was Kawata! But the ball was already too high the air so at least the King Kong beast could not make a swipe of it but it was enough to make Rukawa's shot imbalanced.
"Shit", muttered Rukawa under his breath. But that was no problem. They still had another player that would kill to get that shot through.
And he was right. The king of rebounds, tensai Sakuragi Hanamichi was already at the ready at the board. No one from the Akitas were guarding him. This slight mistake was only noticed by the Akitas too late as the red head jumped for the ball that bounced off the ring and made a resounding dunk through the hoop.
And the crowd went wild.
2 more points for the Kanagawas. But there was no time for a quick celebration just as yet. The Kanagawas were still behind by 8 points and the clock was ticking.
The ball was still out of the line. Mikio had the ball and was about to pass it to his big brother, Kawata when Rukawa made the slightest incline of his head signalling a plan to Sakuragi who understood. Mikio passed it to Kawata but he was just too careless. He didn't see the panther slinking through him and the King Kong and effectively stealing the ball away from their possession.
Sawakita who saw this mistake yelled a curse and prepared to jump in order to block Rukawa's attempted goal under the basket shot. Sapphire blue eyes cut through Sawakita's grey ones as the ball went right over to the other side of the court! Hell no, 3 pointer shot! Shit!
Sakuragi was there to receive it with no one guarding him. He was as free as a cageless bird. Oh, yeah, he got it and made the shot! Whoosh in the ball goes!
"Woo hoo!", yelled Miyagi in the sidelines jumping from his seat the minute the ball went through the net.
"Alright! Not bad, Sakuragi. NOT BAD!", yelled Mitsui who himself had also jumped out of his seat.
"NICE ONE SAKURAGI-SAN! RUKAWA-SAN!", yelled Hikoichi who was jumping up and down in his excitement.
"KANAGAWA, KANAGAWA, KANAGAWA!", shouted the rest of the teammates.
"Nice pass", said Sakuragi to the kitsune.
One slightly raised eyebrow.
"Nice shot", allowed Rukawa in return.
Sakuragi grinned and gave him a thumbs up. "Let's make four".
Eyebrow raised another notch. "Your turn?".
Sakuragi nodded and held up two fingers. "2 points. Baby kong over there".
Rukawa looked over at Mikio who indeed looked like the Akitas wanted to use for their next move despite his earlier slip up.
"Don't slip up", warned Rukawa.
"Ceh. You've got to be kidding me. Back me up".
"I'm on it".
+++++++++++++++++
Seconds later...
Mikio went down like a rock and he was charged with intentional foul. This was his fifth foul and the big guy was out of the game.
However, Sakuragi managed to get in 2 points before being too badly damaged by the giant player from the forced intentional foul that the red head had somehow made him do.
2 free throws for Sakuragi didn't go to waste.
"Nice", commented Sendoh with his usual Sendoh grin. "One bully down. 4 more to go".
Sakuragi grinned at that.
"We're still behind and the clock's screaming", reminded Kiyota, stressed out.
"Chill out, kiddo. We've got it covered", said Sendoh. "We'll still stick to Akagi's plan".
"What do you mean 'we've' got it covered? We're still behind by...", said Kiyota but was interrupted by Akagi.
"By 4 points", said Akagi. "Screw the time. We can do this. Like Sendoh said stick to the plan. You two, offense. We'll do the defence".
"Right", agreed all of them simultaneously.
"Then, let's move out".
++++++++++++++
Sawakita noted the time. They had about 39 seconds left on the clock and they were still in the lead by 4 points.
Ah, shit. How in hell did they catch up to them so fast?
"Sawakita, over here", said Fukatsu motioning for Sawakita to come over to him and the rest of the Akita players.
"The Kanagawas are onto us. The lead and the time is on our side but we can't afford to let any careless mistakes this time or else they'll gain the advantage", Fukatsu was saying as all of them quickly discussed of how to stay on the lead and win the game.
Then Sawakita spoke up. "They're using Rukawa and that red head kid as their offense".
Fukatsu nodded. "That's where you and Kawata come in. Kawata guards the taller guy, the red head and you guard Rukawa".
"What about that guy, Akagi?", said Kawata.
"Don't worry the rest of us will cover the others", assured Fukatsu, "Whatever you do though don't lessen your guard. They're both unpredictable".
"Any questions?", said Fukatsu.
When no one said anything, Fukatsu nodded and said, "Then, let's move out".
++++++++
It was a tense moment for everyone. With time nearly signalling at the end of the game and still the two adversaries refusing to give in to the other, no one knew who was going to emerge the victor of this game.
Both Miyagi and Mitsui were bathed in their sweat, though not playing in the game, were as tense as hell. Maki, Jin, Uozumi, Fujima and the rest of the Kanagawa representatives either clenched their fists in anticipation or grinding their jaws shut like anything. Hikoichi, Ayako and Kogure, however, were yelling their support at the tops of their lungs for their Kanagawa teammates on court. The gundam and Haruko and her friends also weren't left behind in their cheers of support. While the coaches of the Kanagawas looked stressed out save for Anzai sensei who was still merrily sipping his never ending herbal tea.
The crowd of audience chanted both the team names. Shouting defence and the other offense.
However, all the players on court didn't hear the deafening noise all around them. All of their concentration were focused on the last 39 seconds of the game.
The slightest mistake of either team would be fatal to both of them.
Rukawa looked at Sakuragi. The red head caught the look.
'Let's do this', said Rukawa's look.
Sakuragi's slight grin said, 'You're on'.
Fukatsu passed the ball to Sawakita then.
Sawakita wasting no time whooshed passed Sendoh and Kiyota's defence in a zig zag pattern leaving behind Rukawa who was supposed to guard him.
Akagi was ready for the top player. Arms outstretched like a tall wall, legs ready to spring in any direction be it up or at the sides to block Sawakita's shot.
The second Sawakita made his jump in an attempted jump shot, Akagi made a high jump too blocking his view and even tried to swipe the ball away from him...
Holy shit! Sawakita's execution of the ball was just too damn high! Akagi couldn't reach it. Dammit, the shot was going to go through if no one can block it!
Then...
"Move aside, Gori! Tensai basketman Sakuragi to the rescue!", yelled Sakuragi barrelling his way through the players at top speed and in a split second his arm was already in mid air, his body suspended high in the air from his infamous powerful jump and caught the ball swiftly and easily in one hand.
Open mouthed everyone watched as Sakuragi turn his body almost 360 in mid air, ball still in one hand and without a beat he yelled, "Rukawa!".
Simultaneously, he threw the ball on full blast into the air making the ball look like an orange blur ready to be received at its receiving end.
A split second later, Rukawa caught the orange ball and without so much as missing a beat he immediately launched his deadly 3 pointer.
Needless to say the shot went in earning the Kanagawas another 3 points.
The crowd in the stands and on court went wild.
The scoreboard now showed 115 Kanagawas to 116 Akitas.
And the time was now the last 20 seconds.
Rukawa's hand fisted. One point difference. Yes, they can do this.
Sakuragi, on the other hand, was laughing his tensai head off.
Kiyota and Akagi ran to Sakuragi with Kiyota bringing him down in a headlock, yelling he was an idiot and Akagi pounding Sakuragi's back multiple times saying that it was a good catch and a good pass.
Fukatsu went over to Sawakita. "Cool down, Sawakita. We can still beat them".
Through gritted teeth, Sawakita nodded. He was reminded of the time that they had lost against the Shohokus. It was almost exactly like their current situation. With them in the lead and yet the tide was on their opponent's side with time constraining them.
"Kawata!", said Sawakita jogging towards him.
"Nanda?".
"Back me up. I'll score the next shot".
With one raised eyebrow but no comment, Kawata just nodded trusting the top player without question. Besides, he could see that Sawakita was fired up and raging mad for a fight.
Then, let the last 20 seconds of the game begin.
++++++++++++
"Rukawa!", yelled Sakuragi as he raced after the baldie, Sawakita who was in possession of the ball.
"Cis", said Rukawa under his breath as he raced after Sawakita.
"Get him!", yelled Sendoh to his teammates as Sawakita slipped pass him in a blur and entered the goal zone.
Kiyota matched Sawakita's step and attempted to steal the ball away from him but could only touch empty air. Kiyota would've tripped and charged into Sawakita if it weren't for Akagi who was behind him and pulled him by the scruff of his neck and threw him to one side. However, Sawakita was still on the move and no one was guarding the goal area.
`Shitting hell', thought Akagi a bit too late.
Sawakita made a high jump then and prepared to make what looked to be like a powerful slam dunk.
But Sakuragi was having none of that.
Seemingly coming out of nowhere the red head blocked Sawakita's dunk.
Surprised but undeterred Sawakita slapped the ball away from Sakuragi's grip to his other hand and passed it to an awaiting Kawata below.
Kawata received the ball easily and jumped to make the final shot.
But Rukawa was having none of that.
Appearing instantly in front of the King Kong of the Akitas, his hand was about to steal the ball away from him when the ball went back to Sawakita.
Sawakita who had just landed on his feet with Sakuragi still suspended in thin air, made another powerful jump, caught the ball and without anyone stopping him made a powerful slam dunk.
BAM! In went the ball, earning 2 points for the Akitas.
And the crowd went wild.
Current score was now 115 Kanagawas to 118 Akitas.
HOLY SHIT! 3 points behind. How the hell did that happen?!
With 9 seconds behind, there's no way the Kanagawas could make it. But the Akitas were having none of that belief especially the Sannoh players. The Kanagawas were unpredictable and could turn the tide on them in a split second like their last game against the Shohoku. They were definitely not going to gamble their luck on their current lead and situation.
The second the ball touched Sakuragi's hand, he roared, "Rukawa!".
Anticipating the move, Kawata blocked Sakuragi's view and refused to let Sakuragi pass the ball to anyone much less to the super rookie Rukawa.
"Chikuso!", yelled Sakuragi in biting frustration seeing that the big ape blocked his view. How in hell was he going to ...
Sendoh!
Glancing to his left, where Kiyota stood Sakuragi yelled, "Kiyota!".
Falling for it, Kawata lunged on his left and immediately Sakuragi threw the ball at Sendoh who ran off like a shot onto the other side of the court.
Cursing one obscenity after another, Kawata was hot on Sendoh's tail.
6 seconds left ...
The power forward and shooting guard of the Akitas blocked Sendoh's way but Sendoh was undeterred. Without so much as looking at either of his sides, the sunny faced Kanagawa player made a pass to one of his sides straight at Kiyota who was running like hell and now had the ball in his hand.
But Kiyota didn't get too far because both Sawakita and Fukatsu had blocked his path. However, there was no stopping the wild monkey's attempt to penetrate through their defence.
Kiyota jumped to his left, both players followed suit then Kiyota tried to make a pass at his right but Fukatsu was onto him.
But the wild monkey was not giving up.
4 seconds...
There!
Without hesitation whatsoever Kiyota slammed the ball over their heads.
And the ball went straight for Rukawa.
Hell no!
Where the hell did Kawata come from?!
Kawata who had anticipated the move from Kiyota caught the ball in his hand, a smile of triumph forming on his primate lips.
"YES!", yelled Sawakita.
"Shitting hell! Hell, no you're not!", said Rukawa stealing the ball swiftly away from Kawata's grip.
Kawata was about to lunge forward and get the ball back when Akagi blocked him.
"You're getting nowhere near that ball!", roared Akagi into Kawata's face.
2 seconds...
"RUKAWA!", roared Sakuragi at the top of his lungs.
The red head was frantically waving his hands like mad at him. Sakuragi was long past ready and was already behind the 3 pointers line.
"SAKURAGI!", yelled Rukawa at the top of his lungs as he pulled back his arm back and threw the ball in a blur at him.
"YOSH!", yelled Sakuragi the second the ball was in his hands.
"NO!", yelled Sawakita.
Sawakita, Fukatsu and Kawata made a hurried but powerful jump to block Sakuragi's 3 pointer shot.
Then the unexpected happened.
Sakuragi slipped and lost his balance when the three players charged bodily against him.
But the ball had already been released from his grasp and executed into the air.
Before the ball made its way downward towards the net, four bodies slammed towards the ground with an echoing and bone crunching BANG!.
Silence reigned the stadium at the fallen bodies of the players and the ball which was now leisurely rolling and rolling round and round the ring.
Everyone held their breaths.
"GET IN BALL!, GET THE HELL IN!", shouted the Kanagawa supporters.
"FALL OUT! FALL OUT! FALL OUT!", screamed the Akita supporters.
0 second...
At the sound of the buzzer, the ball swished through the net.
Every head in the stadium turned to stare at the referee who would be the judge of the shot.
Was it in? Or was it out?
Stay tuned for the next chapter 12 in GAME CONCLUDED
Thank you for reading. Reviews at yuki_ne@hotmail.com. See you in later days, dear readers.
Yuki signing off.