Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 9

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
By Sakura
Part 9: Up, Up Away! The Red Dragon’s Cave
 
The group had retrieved their stolen White Dragon Wings from the Thieves’ Bazaar. They were now in a small farming village called Iluk. The head of the Thieves’ Guild had told them of an inventor living there who had blueprints for a flying machine.
“So where do you think this Washuu guy is anyway?” Nall asked.
“Don’t look at me cat,” Valgarv said, miffed that the hamlet had no tavern. “I’ve never past Reza before.”
“That’s only because there’s no place for you to get smashed,” Firia retorted. Valgarv growled then blushed.
“Let’s split up and look around,” Xellos suggested, not willing to be a witness to a fight between the two.
“I’ll go get some supplies,” Zelgadis said noticing an item shop near the entrance.
“I’ll go with you, Zel-kun,” Amelia said, causing the lavender haired boy to blush.

After searching the village, which took only a few minutes, the group regrouped back at the entrance.
“Any luck?” Firia asked.
Amelia blushed. She couldn’t bear to tell them of a rather racy poster of her father, she had found after getting supplies with Zelgadis. “Um… No,” she replied.
“We found Washuu!” Nall called as he flew past Xellos to meet them. “And guess what! He’s a she!!”
"It’s about time,” Zelgadis muttered, “the peasants here are as bad as those in Meryod.”
Valgarv snickered. “The ladies too much for ya, kid?”
The apprentice mage blushed again before puffing himself up. “How dare you call me ‘kid’!! I’m a third level apprentice!!”
“Oh yeah, well you sure act like a kid!” the aqua haired boy spat back.
“Takes one to know one,” Firia quipped before bopping her ex with her mace.
“We’ve got to get to the Red Dragon’s cave before Rezo does!” Amelia said bopping Zelgadis with the ice rod she’d purchased at Reza. The lavender haired boy backed down, a sheepish look on his face. “This is no time for petty childishness.”
“Thanks Ame-chan,” Xellos said, glad he didn’t have to be mediator this time. Lina was so much better at it anyway. “Washuu said he’d build the flying machine for us, but…”
“But?” Firia said getting ansty.
“She needs something called a Fluffy Bug to make it fly,” the purple haired boy finished.
“So how the #%(* are we supposed to find one?” Valgarv asked. “Do any of ya even know what it looks like or where to find one?”
“Washuu said it’s kinda like a pink puffball thingy,” Nall explained, “You can find them in the fields behind the village.”
“Well that settles it then,” Firia said, “Let’s go get that bug thingy!!”

“There’s one!” Xellos whispered, pointing to a group of blue puffballs. Amongst them was a single pink one.
“Oh they’re soooooo kawaii!!!” Amelia squealed, causing the bugs to flee. “Um… oopsie,” she said apologetically.
“Yare, yare,” Xellos muttered.

After several attempts and various battles with the various plant and insect monsters in the fields, the group was able to corner one Fluffy Bug and capture it. “Well looks like we finally get our flying machine,” Nall said happily.
“Don’t you even think of saying anything bad about this place Zel-kun,” Amelia warned her fellow mage. “It’ll do us some good to mingle with the other peoples of Lunar. Vane isn’t the only city here you know.”
‘I wish it were though,’ Zegadis thought and shuddering at the thought of the local girls throwing themselves at him.

“Wow! You actually caught one!” the short and spiky pink haired girl said, happily accepting the pink puffball. “Now my masterpiece can be complete! I’ve already have most of it built, but it’ll take all night to install the bug and get the kinks out, why don’t you stay here. There isn’t much room, but it’s cheaper than the inn,” she offered.
  No one complained. They were exhausted from the bug hunt and the journey from Reza. Most of the group was asleep within minutes, totally oblivious to Washuu’s hammering and muttering.

The next morning, they awoke to a happily beaming Washuu. “At last it’s ready! My masterpiece is complete! Mwhahahahahaha!!!!” the motley group of travelers stared at her nervously. “Oops. Sorry ‘bout that folks. I got a bit carried away there for a sec.”
She led them outside to a large platform where a huge basket and a strange looking bag of multicolored cloth attached above it. “That’s your masterpiece?!” Zelgadis said, not too impressed. “It’s just an old hot air balloon! Anyone from Vane knows about them!”
“Well she’s not from Vane, Mr. Smartypants,” Firia said. “Just humor her so we can get the heck on our way.” Zelgadis sulked, but did as the blonde miko said.
  Once they were briefed on its operation and had their supplies loaded, they were on their way, sailing the blue sky in Washuu’s balloon.
“Wow! I’ve never been up this high!” Nall said, enjoying himself immensely.
Valgarv however wasn’t. He was sitting against the basket, not daring to move. “Oh poor Val’s afraid of heights!” Firia teased.
“Urusai (shut up) onna!” he growled, blushing in embarrassment.
“It’s ok Val-san,” Amelia said patting his shoulder. “We’ll be there in no time.”

True to her word, they arrived at the volcano where the dragon’s cave was rumored to be a half hour later. The balloon landed safely an entrance in the dormant crater. “Sure is hot in here,” Firia said pulling down her hood.
“Whatcha expect, toots? This is a volcano,” Valgarv quipped, eager to get back at her for teasing him earlier. Firia promptly beaned him with her mace.
“Valgarv no baka!” she spat before joining the others in the cave.

After two hours of battling their way through the various areas of the cave Xellos-tachi came to a corridor like passage virtually free of enemies. “That’s weird,” Xellos said expecting something to jump out at them any second. “There’s hardly anything here.”
“Well maybe we’ve gotten rid of all the monsters,” Nall suggested.
“Welcome travelers,” came a disembodied voice, startling them.
“Who’s there?! Show yourself!” Valgarv called brandishing his sword.
“If you’ve come to face my trial, you must show me how brave you are otherwise, please return to wherever you’ve come from.”
“Heh! I’m braver than you, you coward!” the aqua haired boy called. “At least I don’t hide in shadows like a rabbit!”
The voice laughed. “How amusing you mortals are. As a reward for amusing me, I shall heal any of you who are injured.” A soft red light enveloped them and the group found that they indeed had been healed and their equipment was cleaned and repaired. “Now are you brave enough to continue?” the voice asked.
   “We’re brave enough!” Xellos answered, remembering that no matter what, he must get Lina back.
At the end of the corridor was a wall of flames blocking further advance into the cave. “Well that’s it,” Zelgadis said when all of Amelia’s ice spells failed to douse the stubborn fire. “Might as well give up and go back to Vane now.”
“Listen here pal!” Nall said flying over to him so that his face was almost touching the lavender haired boy’s. “I’ve had enough of your lip! I’m not gonna give up on Lina and neither are you! Got it?” The little white dragon then bared his fangs and claws. Zelgadis quickly backed away in fear for his precious face.
“Well do you have any other great ideas?” he asked, “I’d be willing to listen.” None of them could come up with anything.
Xellos stood at the wall of fire for a few more seconds then gathered up his pack and courage. “I’m not giving up,” he said then walked straight into the flames, not caring what happened to him now.
The others stared, amazed as he emerged on the other side unscathed. Feeling sheepish, Zelgadis followed his comrade. The heat of the flames was real, however the fire was an elaborate illusion. “I should have known,” the lavender haired boy muttered, “when we couldn’t destroy it with magic.” Shortly the others followed as well.

Another hour or two later, Xellos-tachi reached what had to be the Red Dragon’s lair. A pair of stone dog-shape gargoyles and another path of fire guarded a rather large opening at the back of the room. Not fearing the flames this time, they proceeded only to be blocked by of all people –
“Martina!” Zelgadis cried.
“Hello, Zel-kun,” the mint haired fortuneteller said with a flirtatious smirk. “I knew you’d be here. Too sad that I also knew that you’d die here. Fido! Rex! Sick ‘em!” With that, she vanished then the two gargoyles came to life.
“OH #%^@!” they said in unison.
“Come back here you hussy!” Amelia shouted.
“Gomen ne, princess,” came Martina’s voice. “I’ll have to give you a rain check on that. You know how it is. People to kill, a planet to take over. Jya ne!”
  “Shimatta!” cursed Xellos, as the gargoyles advanced on the group.


Sorry kiddies, but I’ll have to leave you hanging until next month, my life has become a living hell! Mwhahahahahaha!! Note to self: switch to decaf.

Amelia: You’re mean Sakura-san! What if Zelgadis-san dies?!

Sakura: Do you really think I’ll let him?

Zel: I should be so lucky.

Sakura: (bops him with Xel’s staff) Quiet you or it’s back to the Rabid Fangirls you go.

Zel: Eep. (runs like a bat from you know where)

Sakura: It’s good to be the miko. Anyhoo in other news, I’ll be closing my site as soon as stupid Crosswinds is done with their security renovation and allows me access to my pages again. It doesn’t mean I’ll stop writing though. Not even a herd of rabid Nagas could stop me. I’ll just be posting my stuff here at FF.net from no on. Keep checking each month to see if I uploaded anything new. Till then, same bat time, same bat channel.