Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 15

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
Part 15: Endgame
By Sakura

“You’re being a bunch of idiots!” Firia yelled causing the other patrons of the pub to look in their direction.
Three days had passed since Rezo and Lina had wiped the floor with them. Upon waking up, they had found that they were now back at Meribia. Realizing they would be fighting a losing battle against a goddess, the boys minus Xellos had decided to drown their problems in as much booze as possible.
“Ya, well (hic) ya shaw what (hic) happened back there,” Zelgadis said before downing yet another mug of the pub’s strongest brew.
“I’d (hic) rather be (hic) (hic) in a happy place when (hic) I die,” slurred a very inebriated Valgarv. “’ey babe how’sh ‘bout a liddle kishy poo?” he said leering at the lavender haired boy.
“In yer dreamsh,” he slurred back, barely able to dodge the horned boy’s attempts at groping him.
“Yer cute too!” Valgarv said leering at the black haired princess next.
“Valgarv-kun don’t you dare!” Amelia said slapping his hand away when he tried to grab her next.
“I don’t even know why I put up with you!” Firia said knocking him out with her mace.
“Thanksh,” Zelgadis said motioning to a bunny girl to bring him more. Amelia glared at him then told her to ignore the order.
“It’s hopeless,” she said frowning. “Xellos-kun still hasn’t woken up yet?”
The blonde priestess shook her head. “He’d better hurry up and wake up! I’d hate to be the one to read him his last rites.”
“Who are you talking about?” a purple haired boy asked as he came over to their table, a flying cat like creature perched on his shoulder.
“Xel-kun! Xellos-kun!” the girls said in relief, rushing over to hug the now awake dragonmaster.
“Easy girls,” he said wincing a bit, “I’m still a bit sore.”
“Oopsie,” Amelia said giggling and loosening her hold, overjoyed they hadn’t lost another friend.
“You’re just what these two babies need,” Firia said pointing to the passed out Zelgadis and Valgarv. “They’ve been hitting the bottle for the past three days now and I’m sick of nursing their hangovers.”
“Zel-kun?” Xellos asked shaking the lavender haired mage slightly. “Zel-kun?” he asked again.
“’ey Xel-chan,” he slurred. “Wanna (hic) join ush?”
“For L-sama’s sake snap outta it!” Firia said slapping him hard. “Oh, sorry Xel,” she apologized, noticing her friend’s said face.
“It’s ok, I guess I still can’t believe Lina’s gone.”
“She’s not gone Xel!” Nall yelled, “That creep’s done something to her mind!”
The purple haired boy nodded. “I’m still going to try to get her back. Val-kun you’ve got to pull yourself together. Firia needs you.” He shook the unconscious boy several minutes before he woke up.
“Ok, ok! I’m up! Yeeeeeeeeooooooooooowch!!!!” he yelled as a massive hangover kicked in. “Stop this crazy room why don’tcha!”
“Baka!” Firia spat then quickly cast a healing spell on both him and Zelgadis.
“I’m going after her,” Xellos said more determined than ever. “I know Lina’s still in there somewhere.”
“Give it up pal,” Valgarv said waving a bunny girl over. “There ain’t no way you’d be able to stop a goddess.”
“Don’t. Even. Think. About. It.” Firia warning brandishing mace-sama.
“He’s right,” Zelgadis added, “Why even bother.”
“I don’t believe you!” Amelia said slapping his other cheek. “Xel-kun needs our help and we’re going to give it. Now get your sorry butt in gear and get going!”
Firia, Xellos, and Nall looked at the princess in awe. Never before had they ever seen her so angry. Zelgadis and Valgarv both gulped then nodded.
Just then a familiar figure entered the pub. “Glad to see you’re alright, Xel-kun.”
“Laike-san!” Xellos said, surprised to see the wanderer.
“Still determined to stop Rezo?” he asked solemnly.
“More than ever,” Xellos replied, “I have to get Lina back!”
“I won’t stop you, but there’s something I should tell you about her.”
“We know,” Firia said sadly, “She’s really L-sama.”
“I see, but there’s a reason why she was in a mortal body.”
There was a sudden bright white light and the group disappeared from the Meribian pub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moments later, they rematerialized at Dynast’s Monument just outside Burg. “What are we doing here?” Valgarv asked confused. “Dragonmaster Dynast, huh?” he murmured after reading the inscription on the stone.
“Xel-kun,” Laike began after a few more moments of silence, “Dynast didn’t really die fifteen years ago.”
“What do you mean Laike-san?” Nall asked. “Then who’s under there?”
“No one,” the bearded man said sadly. “Fifteen years ago is when it all started. When…”
“Lina was born?” Xellos asked, guessing what was on the man’s mind.
“Yes. But there’s more to it. Peace had finally come to this world, there were no major threats that required L-sama’s or m-Dynast’s help. But the people still prayed for L-sama’s advice on how to live. Fearing that they’d never learn to live independently, the goddess chose to become one of us and live out her life and then disappear. You see, human beings need to learn on their own or we’d become too weak.”
“How do you know that?” Amelia asked. “How do you know that’s what happened?”
“Because he’s Dynast, right?” Xellos said. “Only someone close to L-sama would know something like that.”
“Xel-kun is correct. I am… was Dragonmaster Dynast, but that part of me died when L-sama gave up everything, including being able to be with me.”
“You… loved her?” Firia asked surprised.
Laike chuckled. “Yes, we loved each other. But L-sama loved her people more. The people of this world were the most important thing to her. She wanted us to be able to become strong and able to live on our own. We both knew that if we still had our powers the people would become lazy and too dependent on us so we gave them up.”
“Didn’t Rezo know that?” Zelgadis asked.
“He did, but he just couldn’t understand. He felt that humans needed someone to watch over them – to guide them. It seems that he still doesn’t.”
“Can we stop him?” Xellos asked, still in shock that his hero had been beside him all along.
“I don’t really know. He may have been able to bring L-sama back, but she’s been corrupted by his dark magic. This isn’t the L-sama I once knew.”
“I’m going to try, no matter what,” Xellos said grimly.
Laike then laughed. “That’s the spirit, Xel-kun. I’m sure L-sama’d be proud at how strong you’ve become son. That sword over there was a good friend of mine, use it well.”
The purple haired boy nodded then went over to the monument. Bracing himself, he grasped the hilt of Dynast’s sword. The weapon slid out of the stone easily and glinted in the sunlight, hardly a scratch was seen. Suddenly Xellos was wrapped in a blinding light. Moments later the light faded and he stood, the dragonmaster armor repaired and restored to him.
“Yahoo!!!! Let’s go get Rezo!!!!” Nall shouted triumphantly.
“Ya forget one thing cat,” Valgarv said.
“How do we get to L-sama’s fortress without an airship?” Zelgadis added.
Laike smiled. “Nall can take you there.”
“Say what?!!!!!” Firia said, “Look at him! There’s no way he’d be able to lift anyone let alone all of us.”
“That’s because he hasn’t been able to use his true form. But I think he should be able to now.”
“What do you mean ‘true form’?” the little winged cat asked confused.
“You’ll know once you transform, little one. Now concentrate, search inside yourself. The power to help your friends should be there.” With that Laike turned and walked down the hill.
“Wait Laike-san! Dynast! What power?” Xellos called, but the man kept walking.
“Hey I feel strange,” Nall said flying off of Xellos’ shoulder. The cat like creature then began to glow white, his body elongated followed by his legs and wings. A tail appeared and also began to grow. Within minutes, Nall had transformed into a magnificent white dragon.
“Hey! Check me out!” he said, his voice deepened.
“Whoah the kitty’s a dragon! Who knew,” Valgarv said in awe.
“Yeah you were so small before we couldn’t possibly think you’d turn out to be a white dragon,” Firia added.
“You’re gorgeous!” Amelia said admiring the hovering dragon.
“Hop on guys! We’ve got to get Lina!” the dragon said, blushing slightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About half an hour later, the group arrived at the Fortress of L-sama hovering still above the ruins of Vane. An ominous aura surrounded the ancient structure, making the white dragon’s passengers fight the chills running down their spines.
“*bleep* that thing’s huge!” Valgarv said as they began to near it.
“I wonder if Daddy knew this was under L-sama’s tower all this time,” Amelia mused.
“Worry about that later,” Zelgadis chided her, “We’ve more important things to do.” Amelia nodded then stared at the fortress, a determined look appearing on her face.
“I don’t remember hearing any about this place when I was studying,” Firia said.
The aqua haired boy beside her chuckled, “That’s because you were too busy playing hooky, toots.” She promptly whacked him with her beloved mace.
“At least I know what a school looks like on the inside, baka!” she shot back.
“Must you two act like two-year-olds?” Zelgadis scolded. Both of them blushed then quickly turned away from each other. “Look at what that thing’s doing!”
“Oh no!” Amelia cried. “It’s sucking the life out of the planet!” A black beam was emanating from the underside of the floating fortress. Below, there was a slowly growing circle of devastation from where the beam had struck the ground. Their world was slowly becoming like the landscape of the Frontier.
“Just what the *bleep*ing *bleep* does Rezo think he’s doing?!” Valgarv spat.
“If we don’t do something, this whole world will become one huge wasteland,” Nall said, angrily.
“That’s not going to happen Nall,” Xellos growled, “We’re going to stop Rezo once and for all.”
“I’m going with you,” Nall said after landing on a jutting platform. No one argued against that. They all knew how much the red haired girl meant to him too. Soon Nall had shrunk back to his flying cat form so he’d be able to move in the fortress hallways. “Let’s go guys!” he said, his voice back to the slightly high-pitched tone of before.
They nodded, checked their equipment then headed into the fortress, each dreading what could lie ahead waiting for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour or so later and after many monster battles, the group came across a strange girl standing by a doorway.
“Hey what are you doing here, kid?” Valgarv asked the girl. She giggled then ran into the doorway. “We gotta go after her!” the horned boy said rushing after her.
“Val-kun, wait!!” Xellos said before leading the others after them.
Half an hour later, Xellos-tachi were able to catch up to the girl, however, they realized too late that they’d been chasing after Martina.
The mint haired girl laughed. “You are so stupid! I knew you’d fall into my trap! Now you’ll die for sure!” She then sent a ball of energy at them.
The group quickly dodged and prepared themselves for the next attack. The girls began casting support spells while the boys either attacked with their swords and magic. Several minutes later, winded and exhausted, they watched at Martina faded, having been dealt a mortal blow by Valgarv. “You’ll never win against Rezo-sama!” she cried just before disappearing completely.
“Yeah right, babe,” Valgarv muttered then sheathed his sword.
“Let’s go on,” Xellos said, “We still got to find Lina.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several hours later and still no sign of anything other than an occasional chest and tons of monsters, Xellos-tachi stopped at a doorway for a bit of rest before going on.
“You sure she’s in here?” Zelgadis said, taking out a silverlight he’d found earlier, the crystal’s glow recharging his magic.
“Where else would she be baka!” Amelia said also using a silverlight.
“She’s got to be here,” Xellos said.
“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the kindergarten bunch,” Eris said appearing out of nowhere.
“Step aside, onna (woman).” Zelgadis warned.
“Make me!” she spat back before casting a spell at them.
As with before, they had no choice but to fight the villainess to the death. Minutes later, she met the same fate as her sister. “Forgive me Rezo-sama!” she cried before fading into nothingness.
“Heh! That’s one *beep* I ain’t gonna miss,” Valgarv said.
“Poor Ms. Sylphiel,” Amelia murmured feeling sorry for the purple haired woman who’d come to help them before. “She just lost all her family.”
“We’ll get Rezo for that,” Xellos said placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, Amelia.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After finally making there way to the top of L-sama’s tower, Xellos was ready to keep the promise he made to the black haired princess hours ago. “Get away from her Rezo!” he yelled.
The purple haired madman laughed. “You’re too late dragon boy! Once L-sama transfers her power to me, this world will be mine!”
“I don’t think so freak!” Valgarv lunged at him, only to have his sword blocked by an invisible wall. “Fight fair dammit!”
“Very well then, I suppose I could use a bit of entertainment while I wait.” Rezo then readied himself.
“Saint Litany!” Firia yelled after chanting in preparation of the battle she knew was coming. Amelia nodded and began casting support spells again.
“You’re going down Rezo!” Xellos charged the Magic Emperor, managing to knock him back a bit with the techniques he’d learned from so many battles.
“Hmph. Not bad, but you’re still too weak! Rock ‘N’ Roll!” Huge boulders came crashing at them. The group barely had enough time to dodge them.
“I looked up to you!” Zelgadis said, “How could you do this!”
“I have to Zelgadis-kun,” Rezo replied, “Can’t you see that humans need a leader to survive!”
“I guess I can’t,” the lavender haired mage said sadly, “Thunderbolt!” Lightning shot from his hand and hit the man square in the stomach.
Before he had a chance to recover, the other boys attacked simultaneously.
The battle raged on for over an hour, both sides almost out of magic and energy. Then Rezo made a fatal mistake. He allowed them to heal when he had the chance to destroy them for good. “It’s over now, Rezo!” Xellos, not waiting for Firia to heal him, charged the man and ran him through.
“Well done, dragonboy,” the purple haired man said, blood coming out of his mouth. “Dynast must be proud.” With that, he slumped to the floor and faded away.
“I’m sorry, Rezo,” Xellos whispered, retrieving his weapon. “I wish you could have understood what Dynast and L-sama did.” He then turned toward the dark goddess standing at the top of a long staircase. Her back was turned as she surveyed the growing destruction. A strange beam of light surrounding her. “Lina,” he whispered.
No one said anything. Zelgadis nodded as Valgarv gave the purple haired dragonmaster a small shove toward the stairs. “You can do it, buddy,” Valgarv said, “go get ‘er.”
“I know she’ll be ok,” Zelgadis added, hoping to cheer his friend up. “We’ll leave you two alone.” With that he reached into one of his pouches and pulled out a pair of dragonfly wings.
Xellos nodded. “Thank you minna, for everything,” he said as his friends teleported out of the tower and fortress. He then steeled himself and approached the staircase. As he stood on the first step, a flash of purple lightning shot at him, nearly electrocuting him.
Lina had turned around and was now glaring at him. “That was your last warning. Turn back now,” she said coldly.
“No Lina, I won’t. Don’t you remember? We were going to perform at the goddess festival together.” He took the next step. Another magic bolt nearly hit him.
“I said turn back, mortal!”
“Not until you remember us!” he yelled at her. Suddenly he had an idea. It was a long shot, but it had to work. Taking out his ocarina, he began to play the song they had been practicing so long ago. He slowly ascended the stairs as he continued to play, determined to get L-sama to remember her mortal self.
It seemed to work. The goddess no longer shot purple lightning at him and her face began to soften. Within moments, the goddess’ hair slowly changed from golden blonde to fiery red. She blinked then stared at the boy still climbing the stairs.
“Xel?” she asked.
Smiling, he put away the ocarina and ran to her, the light surrounding her blocking him still. “I’m here, Lina.”
“It’s about time you showed up to rescue me!” she said indignantly. The purple haired dragonmaster had to chuckle, secretly glad that Rezo’s brainwashing hadn’t any lasting effects on her. “But you’re too late, Xel,” she said sadly. “If I leave here, all the energy I absorbed will go wild and destroy the planet. I have to stay here so I can control it. I’m trapped.”
“I’ll get you out Lina! Don’t think like that!” He began to bang on the wall between them.
“I’m sorry, Xel. For causing you so much trouble,” the redhead said sadly, fighting the tears running down her cheeks.
“It’s not your fault, Lina. Besides, I’m getting you out of here no matter what! I met Dynast and he told me what you and he did for Lunar. I know we can do it again. He was right. You were right. Humans don’t need someone to constantly baby them. They have to stand on their own. Please Lina, let me help you out of this!”
“Demo (but)…”
Ignoring her plea, the purple haired boy concentrated, closing his eyes. The dragonmaster armor slowly faded away. He took a step forward pushing with all his might against the barrier.
“Xel, stop! You’ll be destroyed!” Lina cried.
Still ignoring her, his face screwed up in determination and slowly the barrier let him through.
“I’m not leaving you behind, Lina,” he said holding out his hand to her. Lina looked at it, hesitatingly. “Please come back, Lina,” he begged. After what seemed like an eternity, Lina finally grasped the boy’s hand, slowly falling into his arms.
“X-Xel,” she murmured before falling unconscious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside, the others watch shocked as the fortress began breaking apart then plummet into the ocean. Moments later, water shot up as it exploded in a blinding flash of light.
“Xel-kun, Lina,” Firia said, wiping at her eyes. Unable to handle them anymore, the blonde priestess then broke into sobs against Valgarv’s chest. The aqua haired boy solemnly wrapped his arms around her as he stared at the slowly calming sea.
“You were so brave Xel-kun,” Amelia said, crying silently, Zelgadis’ protectively around her. “You really did risk everything for her.”
As the sea finally calmed, a blinding white light shot from it, bathing everything in sight. When they could see again, Valgarv rubbed his eyes and shouted. “Look! The land’s back to normal again!”
Sure enough all the desolation caused by the fortress had been erased as if nothing had ever happened. They were now standing on lush green grass. Another light emerged from the sea and slowly came towards them. Blinking, they could barely make out two figures inside the light. As it came closer, they recognized –
“Xel-kun! Lina!” they yelled happily as the two gradually land on the ground before them.
“It’s over,” Xellos said, carrying Lina in his arms who was wrapped up in the cape she’d been wearing before. “We’ve won.”
“You baka!” Firia screamed, whacking the former dragonmaster lightly with mace-sama. “We thought you were goners!”
“Heh! It’s not that easy to get rid of a goddess!” Lina said beaming and trying not to blush, realizing Xellos was still holding her, and quite close at that. “I missed you guys!” she said, jumping from his arms and running to hug her friends.
“We missed you too, Lina,” Zelgadis said smiling.
“Welcome back, babe,” Valgarv said noticing she was still wearing the dark goddess’ outfit. Lina blushed and quickly covered herself with the cape again.
“You hentai!!!” Lina and Firia shouted and began to whip the aqua haired boy good. The others couldn’t help but laugh, overjoyed to see the friend they’d fought so hard for finally with them again.

~Owari~

Yahoo!!!!! It’s done!!!!!!! Free at last!!!!!!

Yugi: Um.. is it ok for her to dance around like that?

Zel: Who cares. She’ll finally stop torturing me for once.

Xel: Awwwwww, but Zel-chan it was sooooooooo much fun! ^_^

Zel: Don’t even think of coming near me you fruitcake.

Yami Bakura: Good. Then that means there’s more for me and Malik. (veg)

Zel: Eep!! (runs like a bat out of hell)

Sakura: Bakura! Stop picking on Zel-chan!! Only I and Xel are allow to!

Y. Bakura: Make me onna!

Sakura: Ok I guess you really don’t need that tacky thing. I’ll just go and have it melted down. I could use the extra cash. (snatches the sennen ring)

Y. Bakura: You wouldn’t dare!

Xel: Believe me, my friend she would. ^_^

Yugi: Who you think will win that staring contest, Yami?

Yami: Hard to tell.

Lina: Yeesh and she says I’m childish sometimes. Anyway review this stupid thing ok?