Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Chibi Xellos in...Kindergarten Blues ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chibi Xellos In---Kindergarten Blues

Little Xellos Metallium looked up at his mother, Zelas Metallium, once she’d finished dressing him. He was wearing a kindergarten uniform and holding a lunchbox with a picture of his favourite movie monster on it.
“All set for kindergarten, Xelly?”
Xellos nodded. He held out his free hand. “Let’s go, Mama.”
Zelas tried not to smile too sweetly as such emotions made her and her son feel rather ill. But, she did smile for her son nonetheless. She held her son’s hand and they teleported to the human world.

The two of them stood outside the gates. Zelas gave her son a couple of touch-ups (combing his hair down, fixing his collar, that sort of thing---kid’s gotta be presentable, monster or not) and placed her hands on his shoulders. “Now, you behave yourself, you have to act like a human. That means no torturing the other children. If you behave yourself, I’ll let you torture our newest victim tonight.”
“Okay, Mama.” Xellos smiled widely, a couple of gaps in his teeth from where his baby teeth once were.
“And try not to scare the teacher.”
“Okay.”
She held her son’s hand again and walked him inside.

The energy the teacher was giving off was way too sweet for Zelas’ liking so she quickly set up an emotional barrier around her son before the teacher came over to them.
“Good day to you, my name is Mrs. Sunny Honeydrop,” the teacher introduced herself.
“I am Zelas Metallium and this is my son, Xellos. I called up about his enrolment last Tuesday.”
“Oh, yes, I remember.” She knelt down to Xellos’ eye-level. “Hello there, Xellos. Are you looking forward to your first day in kindergarten?”
He gripped his mother’s dress and half-hid behind her. The positive energy and sweet smiles frightened him. “Y-yes…”
“Oh, there’s no need to be shy, young one.”
Xellos was about to tell the teacher he was actually thirty years old, but he remembered his mother telling him he had to act like a human. A thirty year old human would be like the teacher, someone really old, compared to a thirty year old monster.
“So, how old are you, dear?”
“I’m…three…”
“Thre e? My goodness, you’ll be here for two years then.” She got to her feet and spoke with Zelas for a while.
“Now, Xellos can be rather temperamental at times, but all you need to do is calm him down with an assurance that his mother will be with him soon enough. Also, fairy tales frighten him and he hasn’t been able to sleep for a while,” Zelas explained.
“Alright. Hopefully, all will go well.”
‘If it doesn’t, you’ll be my next torture victim and I’ll let Xellos do the torturing,’ she thought to herself. However, the smile she was wearing didn’t give any indication of her threatening thoughts. She knelt down to Xellos’ level. “Be a good boy for Mrs. Honeydrop, okay?”
He nodded. He didn’t feel too bad now when he heard a number of kids wail for their parents. “Okay, Mama.”
“I’ll be back to pick you up this afternoon.” She gave her son a kiss on the forehead, kisses weren’t against monster code (remember when Xellos kissed Lina in The Slayers Next?). She got to her feet, turned and left.
“Bye bye, Mama!”
Mrs. Honeydrop placed a hand on Xellos’ shoulder. “Come on, dear, I’ll show you your cubby.”
“Cubby?”
“Yes. That’s where you put your bag and lunchbox.” She lead the child to the storeroom.

Xellos flinched when he saw the picture above his cubby-hole. It was a sticker with a smiling sun on it. Even this inanimate object was giving off positive energy. Oh, why did he have to get sent to kindergarten in the human world?! He decided he’d make the picture less positive. He opened up his backpack and dug through it until he found a crayon, a black crayon. He started to scribble some fangs and evil eyebrows onto his sticker. Now the sun didn’t look so happy, but more evil. He smiled slightly, but something was missing. He added a scar on the cheek, but that wasn’t enough. He suddenly realised what was missing. He pulled a red crayon out of his backpack and added blood to the fangs. Perfect!
“Xellos, why did you do that?”
“It was too nice for me. I don’t like things when they’re too nice. They scare me.”
She sighed. “Still, you’re not really allowed to draw on your sticker. But, I’m going to let you off, just for today since it’s your first day.”
Was she angry with him? He devoured the anger before it could become joy again.
“Okay, you’ve put your things away, now it’s time for show and tell.”
“Show and tell?”
“You can show off a toy to everyone or you can tell a story about yourself.”
“Can I tell about my mama?”
“Yes, of course you can.”
“I won’t then.”
“Why not, dear?”
“I won’t tell them, I’ll show them what she does.”
“Oh, your mother has a job?”
His first words came out of his mouth. “That’s a secret,” he half-sang.

The children all sat in a circle around the room. Xellos sat beside a little girl who seemed to be feeling unwell. Sorrow emanated from her. ‘Yay! Not everyone is happy after all!’
“Xellos, could you please stand up?”
He did so, wondering why he had to stand up.
“Everybody, this is Xellos Metallium. Say hello to him and make him feel welcome.”
“HELLO, XELLOS!!!”
Too much positive energy. He weakly waved and said ‘hello’ before sitting down and devouring more of the girl’s sorrow.
“Since Xellos is new here, we’ll let him start show and tell.”
He had to stand up again. “I’m going to show you what my mama does.” He ran over to a chair and pulled it over to the circle. He sat in it and looked rather regal. He started to act like he was barking commands.
“Oh, your mother is the boss of a company?”
‘You could say that,’ the monster thought. He nodded. “She has lots of people who do what she tells them. She sometimes lets me help her with telling them what to do.”
“How so?”
“I tell them to get me ice-cream so they do. If they don’t, Mama becomes angry.”
“Well, thank you for that, Xellos. Marius, you’re next.”
Xellos still sat in the chair.
“Xellos, please sit in the circle.”
He wanted to say ‘I don’t wanna!’, but if he was naughty in the eyes of a human, he wouldn’t be allowed to torture anyone. He put the chair back and sat back down in the circle.

It was time for arts and crafts. Everybody was painting or drawing or making stuff out of clay. Xellos decided to draw a picture of his mother, but in her true form. He finished it and walked over to Mrs. Honeydrop. “Mrs. Honeydrop?”
“Yes, dear?”
“I drew this picture of my Mama.”
She wasn’t impressed. “Why did you draw such a horrible picture of her?”
He would’ve devoured the energy she was giving off, but he was confused by her reaction. “That’s what she looks like.”
“No, your mother doesn’t look like a wolf. I’m sorry, Xellos, but I’m giving you a time out. You are to sit in the corner until after arts and crafts time.”
Xellos huffed. “Why? I didn’t be naughty.”
“Talking back to me is being naughty.”
As he sat in the corner, he thought up numerous ways to torture her, especially after he saw her scrunch up his picture and throw it into the bin.

It was recess. The children were all playing in one way or another. Xellos was playing with a hammer, nails and wood. He hit his thumb by accident, but only laughed. He did it over and over again.
Two children who saw that became distressed. “Why are you doing that?” a boy asked.
He suddenly realised what he was doing and where. He quickly summoned fake tears. “I keep hitting my hand. The hammer doesn’t like me…”
Mrs. Honeydrop saw that. She went over to him and lead him inside. She tended to his hand and reassured him that he’ll be alright, even though he didn’t need to be told.

Naptime! Only Xellos and Mrs. Honeydrop were still awake. “Why won’t you sleep?”
“I don’t need to.”
“Of course you do, everybody needs to sleep.”
In order to keep her off his back, he suddenly pretended to yawn and closed his eyes. He allowed Mrs. Honeydrop to carry him to the mat he was assigned to.

Zelas came to pick up her son. “Xellos, did you have a good day?”
Xellos nodded. “Except for when I drew a picture of you and Mrs. Meanydroop said it was horrible.”
“She did, did she?”
“She threw it in the bin.”
That did it! Nobody says her son’s a horrible artist and gets away with it. She went over to Mrs. Honeydrop and tried to act friendly. “Excuse me, but Xellos told me about a drawing you threw out?”
“Yes. He said it was a picture of you, but it was a wolf. It was as if he was saying he hated you.”
“No, Xellos loves me with all his heart. I’m called a wolf at work, so Xellos was drawing a picture of me after all.”
“I see. My mistake.”
Zelas would’ve told Mrs. Honeydrop that she was the Beastmaster and her true form was that of a wolf, but she couldn’t reveal they were monsters, or Xellos would be kicked out of kindergarten. “Did anything else happen?”
“Xellos hurt himself during recess. He kept hitting his hand with a hammer.”
“Did he now?”
“You don’t seem too concerned.”
“Oh, Xellos can be clumsy, he’s never had luck with hammers.”
“Things got worse. You might notice one of his hands is bandaged. He went back to play with the hammer and hammered a nail into his hand. I had to call the parents of eight of the children here because they were incredibly distressed.”
“Oh dear, I’m sorry about that, but like I said, he’s so clumsy.”
Xellos tugged on his mother’s dress. “Come and see my sticker.”
“Alright.”
“Mrs. Metallium, I would advise you don’t,” Mrs. Honeydrop warned.
However, Zelas was impressed. “That’s quite creative, Xellos.”
“Um…”
“Yes?”
̶ 0;Your son seems to be into horror and violence. He nearly played a game he fondly called ‘Mama’s Torture Time’, but I stopped him just in time. Does he have any emotional issues?”
“No, not really.”
“How are things at home? Does he get along with his father?”
“He never had a father.”
“Oh, I see.”
“Well, I’d better take Xellos home now. We both look forward to seeing you again tomorrow.”
“Of course. Bye-bye, Xellos.”
Xellos weakly waved a goodbye before he left with his mother.

They arrived back on Wolf Pack Island in Zelas’ castle. “Now, because you’ve been such a good little boy, I’m going to let you torture anyone you desire.”
Xellos smiled evilly. “Mrs. Meanydroop. She’s too nice.”
“Okay then.” Zelas teleported.
Xellos squealed excitedly. This was what he was waiting for all day.

The End

This strange idea came to me as I was reading other fics involving main anime characters as little children. I hope you enjoyed reading it, I enjoyed writing it. I do not own Xellos or Zelas, they belong to Hajime Kanzaka, but I do own Sunny Honeydrop, Marius and the other kindergartners.
Thank you for reading. Please be so kind to leave a review and not flame. Constructive criticism would be helpful and is most welcome.