Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Chimera ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He left the room silently and I lay there, gazing up at the ceiling. It was a plain and uninteresting, as ceilings go, but one shouldn't take too much stock in what I say about ceilings. I'm not an expert and I really didn't pay that much attention to my ceiling at home. Currently, it was all I could look at. My body ached too much to move. I was even unable to cast a healing spell and I wondered if I had done exactly what Rezo had expected me to do. Granted, that I couldn't prove or disprove anything Rezo did, but I somehow got the feeling that my injury was a part of his plan. Exactly what plan, I had no idea, but the entire thing seemed strange.

First off, why had he approached me when he did? He had come for a visit over a month ago and it was entirely too soon for another one. Second, why was he so interested in what I was doing and exactly why did he want to help me? He had never wanted to before. I can remember the times of my early childhood when Rezo was around more frequently. I would fall down and he would gaze at me with those unseeing eyes in distaste.

"Pick yourself up," he would say. "You have no right to be clumsy."

Actually, now that I think about it, I dreaded when my grandfather came to visit. I think early on, I knew there was something not right about him. I can't describe it, but I suppose it's the same way animals can sense whether a person is good or evil. Dogs especially. Dogs seem to be able to smell the personality of a person. Our neighbors used to have a dog. Well, our closest neighbors did and they lived about two miles away but whenever I was over there doing some errands for my mother and Rezo came to visit, their dog would start growling and he wouldn't stop until Rezo left. It frightened me the first time and I thought he was going to tear my arm off but when it happened again...I became suspicious.

I found out that he would only growl like that when I had Rezo's scent about me so I was always careful to pack an extra change of clothes whenever I went over there. I would change clothes on the way and after that, the dog would act normally around me.

"There's something definitely wrong with my grandfather," I said to myself as I closed my eyes again in pain.

When I awoke again, I felt slightly better. I opened my eyes, knowing that Rezo would be there watching me.

"How are you feeling, dear Zelgadis?" he asked and I sat up with some pain.

"Better. What did you do?" I asked and Zelgadis smiled slightly.

"A simple healing spell, dear one. I didn't heal you completely because you need to increase your white magic ability. Also, there is a proposition I wish to discuss with you. I've given it a lot of thought and I would like to know if you are receptive to the idea."

"A...proposition?"

"Yes."

He smiled comfortingly but for some reason, I didn't feel comforted. I only felt worry for what his proposition was.

"You want the strength to find your father, don't you?"

"Yes I do."

"I could give it to you, you know but you'd have to do something for me as well."

"What would that be?"

"I need a certain....artifact for one of my spells. I've been doing research on this spell for quite a long time now but I am missing an artifact that would help me uncover the spell's mystery. It is extremely difficult to search for it just by myself so would you be interested in helping me?"

An artifact? How difficult could that be to locate one? I could do that easily. Rezo must have sensed my thoughts because he smiled agreeably and took my hand. He helped me to stand and for the first time, I gazed at my grandfather with something similar to trust in my heart.

"Well then, let's get going, shall we?" Rezo asked and I looked at him.

"Go where?" I inquired.

"To my laboratory, my friend. I can't give you the strength you desire just anywhere."

He lead me down a hall that seemed to go on for eternity. As we headed towards the laboratory, I began to have doubts about the entire process. First off, why was Rezo so willing to aide me in finding someone he disliked? Was it an attempt to disprove my thoughts that he had done something to my father? And, if he was such a helpful person, why did he need a laboratory? It didn't make sense to me that someone who the people saw as a saint needed to have a laboratory where he made golems and the gods know what other kind of creatures. He stopped and raised a hand, causing the torches that lines the walls to become alight with fire. Test tube like containers lined the wall underneath the torches and I strained to see what was inside them.

"What is all this stuff for?" I asked and Rezo glanced at me.

"For? Why, I do a lot of research down here, my friend. But we're not staying here. I'm taking you to my workplace," Rezo replied and I turned away from the wall. For some reason, I felt afraid of his workplace. Why would someone "nice" need a workplace? It seemed like a sinister thing to have. Rezo stopped again and pointed to a table.

"Please sit down," Rezo said and I complied. He pointed a hand at me and my shirt disappeared then reappeared on a shelf completely folded. My pants went the same way and a terrible thought flashed through my mind. Was he....? Could he...? Did he...? Rezo must have sensed my thoughts because he smiled comfortingly or was it mockingly? It was hard to tell.

"Of course not, dear Zelgadis. I don't do THAT sort of thing. For this spell to work, I need you completely devoid of clothing. Clothing is a magic hindrance in this case," Rezo said.

He forced me to recline on the table as he folded his hands close to his body in concentration. I felt my eyelids becoming heavy and I knew that he was using a tranquilizing spell. I had to stay awake for my own piece of mind. Once I was unconscious, there was no telling what he would do. I watched him through half-closed eyes as he poked some kind of needle into my arm. I wanted to cry out in pain. I wanted to protest, but found I couldn't. My grandfather had obviously drugged me so that I wouldn't react too much to the pain. What pain? What was he going to do to me to give me the strength that he felt I needed?

"Relax, my friend. No harm will come to you," Rezo said in a soothing voice and I closed my eyes a little more then snapped them open again. No matter how compelling and truthful he sounded, I couldn't completely trust him.

I'm afraid I did fall asleep, though, for it was two hours later when I awoke. My entire body felt heavy and I wondered if my grandfather had tied hundreds of small weights on me while I was sleeping. I brought a hand up to brush the hair out of my face then stopped. That couldn't be my hand. It just couldn't. What I held in front of me was a hand, bluish gray in color speckled with numerous...scales? Yes. They were scales. Plates of armor or rock, I suppose. Rock....was that why my body felt so heavy? Had he turned me into a golem? But, as I recalled, golems were completely brown in color and they didn't look at all like what this hand looked like. What was I? I sat up and glanced around the room. Rezo was there, watching me and awaiting my reaction.

I closed my eyes and muttered the spell to conjure up a reflection. When I opened my eyes, a mirror lay beside me. I picked it up and held it up in front of my face. When I saw the extent of what he had done to me, I dropped the mirror in shock. Dark eyes beset in a face covered with shining silvery scales. My entire body was covered in them, I noted as I ran a hand down my other arm. This was not strength. This was a curse.

"How do you like it, my friend?" Rezo asked and I glared at him.

"Do you really want my answer? How could you have done this to me?" I demanded and Rezo smiled.

"I gave you the strength you wanted. Strength is not always accompanied by beauty, you know. Now, you must fulfill your part of the agreement. You have to help me locate an artifact. A very important artifact."

"And what artifact is that?"

"A very legendary artifact. The Philosopher's Stone."

What?! What did he say? The Philosopher's Stone? Is he insane? What could he want it for? My mind flashed back to the stories that my mother told me when I was younger. The Philosopher Stone was said to be a piece of the staff that held up the world but why did he want such an important magic artifact? It was said that it could provide ultimate power to whoever held it but if Rezo got a hold of it....what would he want? He had already mastered the magic arts so what else did he want? I brought a hand to scratch my head and I drew back. Even my hair felt odd. It felt more like a rock than hair. It was coarse and cold and it felt like it was made out of silver or some metal to that extent. I stared at the reflection on a smooth piece of metal, shocked at what I saw. The monstrosity that reflected back at me...It was terrible. Scales on my face, my hands...everywhere. My entire skin was a slate blue color and my ears stuck out like a demon's. The only thing that showed me that the creature in the reflection was indeed myself was the hairstyle. For some reason, my hair grew similar to Rezo's hair and even in this altered form, the lineage was apparent.

"It takes awhile to get used to, doesn't it my friend? I didn't completely change you. I added some...attributes. You are now one-third human, one-third golem, and one-third demon. This is the strongest combination that I could come up with. The good thing about your new body is normal weapons cannot harm you. Your tough skin will dull any blade thrust at you and your eyes and ears are much keener now so you'll be able to defend yourself long before your enemies strike," Rezo said and I frowned. No matter how he tried to justify himself, I was still enraged at the spell he put me under and I vowed to find the spell and break it.

I couldn't go home like this. My mother would surely collapse at the sight of this hideous body and the villagers might try to kill me because of the way I looked. The villagers...There was one villager I knew I could trust. He was a sorcerer in black magic and perhaps he could help me. I clothed myself and glanced at Rezo.

"Let me collect my meager things and I'll start searching for the stone," I said and Rezo smiled.

"Good. I will send some companions with you for the journey," he replied.

Companions? I didn't need any. Rezo really did not trust me I guess. But it's not like I trusted him. I don't know what he wanted the Philosopher's Stone for, but I was sure it wasn't for anything good. I walked back to my room and picked up my sword. I wasn't sure what was going to happen on this journey, but I had to be ready. My grandfather would soon regret ever turning me into this...this monstrosity and to think I tried to fight it, but Rezo's spell proved to be more powerful than me. Damn you Rezo. I will make you PAY.

It was about an hour later when I left Rezo's fortress on my journey. Dilgear, a half werewolf, half troll creature followed me with a collection of other motley creatures. How did Rezo keep such company? I suppose it fit Rezo's true personality. The company he kept, I mean. It may perhaps be a poor assumption but it only served to further my suspicions of Rezo. He had a plan but he was unwilling to tell anyone about it and that only made me wonder. What terrible thing was he going to do once he found the Philosopher's Stone?

"Where are we going, Zelgadis?" Dilgear asked and I glanced over at him, the green in his fur blending quite well with the underbrush of the forest.

"We are going back to my village. There's someone there who might be willing to help us," I replied.

"Really? And who would that be?"

"A sorcerer in the art of black magic. He has even mastered the Dragon Slay."

"He must be a powerful sorcerer."

"He is and perhaps, I can convince him to join us."

"As long as he isn't fighting against us, I don't care what happens."

Dilgear was not the best companion to have on such a long journey. He had a distasteful odor about him and I attributed it to him being half troll. Of course, when one spends his time in dark, damp, and usually smelly caves one can't help but reek like the werewolf troll. Now was the time that I wished I knew how to travel through time and space like Rezo did. I had no clue where the tower was and I had even less of a clue how to get back home. Not that I wanted to show my mother the hideous body Rezo had given me, but I wanted to find Zolf. Zolf I knew would help me and he might even be able to explain my predicament to my mother. Zolf was also a master sorcerer and a swordsman and with his help, I was sure that I could get the Philosopher's Stone and wish myself back to normal.

"You're a quiet one," Dilgear commented and I glanced at him.

"I was merely planning our route," I replied. "Although I'm not entirely sure how to get back to the village. Rezo used his magic to transport us here."

"Why not use your magic?"

"I'm not as strong as Rezo is. I haven't had a lot of formal training."

"So what can you do?"

"Simple spells. I have a lot to learn before I'm a master at shamanistic magic."

"Then why did he send you off on such an important mission?"

"I may prove to be more useful than you currently think I am. But let's not argue about that now. It will be dark soon and we need to find the best route to the village."

"Dear Zelgadis, do you really think I would leave you here just like that?" Rezo's voice asked and I glanced around. Where the hell was he? "I'll transport you back to the village so you can assemble the party for your journey."

And in a flash, we stood outside the village that was founded in his honor. He probably wanted to speed my hunt for the stone and I wondered just how close he would be keeping track of me.

"Wow. That Rezo is fast," Dilgear commented as he brushed himself off.

"Quite. Let's go. I need to locate Zolf," I said and pulled up the hood and collar on my clothes. I didn't want my appearance to cause a panic once we entered the village.

We caused a panic, however, and it wasn't my fault. It was the fault of my werewolf companion. Apparently numerous members of the villagers believed in the folklore of werewolves. The ones where werewolves did terrible things, I mean. Actually, I don't believe that there was ever a good word toward werewolves in myths and legends and that's probably because the creatures have done nothing good. It was Zolf who approached us with his sword drawn out in an attacking gesture.

"Who are you and what is your business?" he asked and I extended my hand.

"Please, Zolf. I need your assistance," I replied and he gazed at me wide-eyed.

"Zel...Zelgadis? Is that truly you? I can barely see you underneath that hood. What are you doing keeping company with a werewolf?"

"Please. I do not wish to frighten the villagers any more. Is it possible for us to seek shelter in your home and there I will tell you all that has happened?"

"Of course, Zel. Have you stopped to see your mother, by the way?"

"No. I thought it best that I come straight to you."

"Then I shall listen to your story with an attentive ear."

He lead the way to a small cottage and opened the door. Once inside, he lit a candle and cleared some books away from a pair of chairs.

"Please, sit down," Zolf said and I complied.

"I'll stand," Dilgear said and Zolf shrugged his shoulders.

"As you wish. Now, Master Zelgadis, please tell me of your journey. Your mother said you left with the Red Priest to undertake some sorcery training. How did that go?"

"I learned some things. I still want to locate my father and Rezo mistook that statement as a request for assistance so he used his powers on me," I replied.

"I was told you asked for it," Dilgear said and I looked at him.

"Why would I possibly ask for such a thing?"

"Ask for what, Zelgadis?" Zolf asked and I sighed. I placed a hand on my hood and pulled it down.

"This," I replied and Zolf drew back in shock.

"Rezo did THIS?"

"Rezo has a strange sense of humor, sometimes."

"Is he going to change you back?"

"This hideous form is permanent."

"Does....does your mother know?"

"No. I would rather her think me dead than to see me the way I am. But, I did not come here to cry on your shoulder, my friend. I came to ask for your assistance, if you're willing to give it."

"I am more than willing to help you in any way I can, Zelgadis."

"Good. I need your help in finding an artifact."

"An artifact? What sort of artifact?"

"A special and legendary artifact. But, I dare not tell you exactly what it is now. There is much to be done."

"You are so right," Zolf agreed. "There is much to be done and I believe that you have a lot to learn. Now, what field of magic were you started in with the Red Priest?"

"Shamanism," I replied and Zolf rummaged through his books.

"Ah, here it is. It may not be like the books in Rezo's library, but it's got some good spells. It belonged to one of my ancestors. I think it would be best if you took some time to study it. Now, I'm going to have to think of some story to tell the villagers so they do not fear you."

"Yes, that would be a good thing to do. I do apologize for all the trouble I'm putting you through."

"It's not your fault. But, could you perhaps ask your companion to stay somewhere else?" Zolf whispered and I grinned.

"I'll see what I can do," I replied and turned my attention to Dilgear. "Dilgear, my good man, is it possible for you to seek shelter...elsewhere?"

"And why should I?" Dilgear demanded.

"Because the villagers fear you."

"I'll give them something to fear."

"Please. Just for tonight. I want to get everything worked out with Zolf. We should be able to leave tomorrow afternoon. If Rezo wants me to do the job completely, then he has to allow me time to prepare. You should honor that, Dilgear."

"Very well then. I will go for the night and sleep in the forest like some wild beast, but you owe me for such an inconvenience, Zelgadis," Dilgear growled and Zolf pointed to the back door.

"Please go that way. You're less likely to attract attention that way," he said, then waited until the werewolf had left the house. "Now, what artifact are you searching for?"

"The most legendary artifact there is. The Philosopher's Stone," I replied and Zolf's eyes grew wide.

"What does the Red Priest want with that?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure it's not going to be beneficial to any of us. I would like to get it myself, however. Perhaps then I'd be able to turn myself back to normal."

"Perhaps, but now that I know the journey you want me to undertake, I am more convinced than ever that you should study that book. We don't know what dangers will lie ahead, but you will need to be well-prepared in your field of magic. There are some things that dark magic can't handle, you know."

"Yes, I know. Rezo has mastered all three styles of sorcerery and yet he still is blind. That obsession of sight has driven him quite insane so we will have to stay alert."

"On the road, yes," Zolf said as he turned down the light. "But not in here. Here you can rest and study as well as take part in a meal if you need to."

"Thank you for everything, Zolf. You were the only person I could approach with this problem," I said and opened the book. I dared not sleep, lest I dream again about the nightmare I now live in.