Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Kenkanoshiri ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kenkanoshiri

Disclaimer: I do not own Slayers or any of the Slayers characters. They are owned by those who own them. I do, however, own the original characters (if any), and the fic all of this is in. That is all.

Chapter 2

It took Lina a little bit longer to get back to Atlas City then expected as she went slower then she normally went. Perhaps she was still tired from the battle that had happened earlier that day. After all, going up against a Dark Lord was something that would tire anyone or even kill them in most cases. Perhaps she was going slower because she didn't want to go back into Atlas City. There was a gut wrenching feeling that twisted inside of her that made her feel sick. Like something was around her that she knew was there but couldn't see. Whatever the reason for her going slow, it was sure as hell working. And she hated that.

The sorceress stood near the gate to the City, one hand on her hip with the other hanging down at her side. Her eyes looked the gate over with her eyes, the twisted feeling inside of her going as strong as before. Why am I feeling like this? It's not like I am scared to go into the damned City, She thought to herself as she sighed, shaking her head to try to get that thought out of her head. I'm Lina Inverse for crying out loud! I'm the most powerful sorceress alive! The last part she had thought, she knew, would be countered by other wizards and whatnot. They'd claim they would be stronger, but all she had to do would be to cast the Dragon Slave, and poof! everyone would go up in an instant. Like most everything else did when the spell was chanted. It was a proven fact that it did. Mostly. Not everything always went up. There were a few that managed to survive if she didn't directly aim the Dragon Slave in that person's direction. It all depended on what mood she was in, or how the angle of the spell was, that made it a life or death matter.

Lina sighed, slumping her shoulders just a bit. She figured the fight with Shabranigdo had left her with a few unwanted feelings that she just wanted to go away. Now she wanted to get on with her life, and not have to worry about anything else, especially the things that had happened in the past. The future was what she wanted to focus on; the positive side of things that she wanted to see. Hell, she just wanted to live a normal life after what had happened. To get back what she did before. To just be Lina Inverse.

"Oh well," The sorceress sighed, regaining her tall posture as she moved towards the gates of Atlas City.

****

Zelgadis walked quickly upon one of the many dirt paths that lined the country side, his eyes darting from side to side. A nervous feeling had come over him, and it was something he couldn't shake out of his body. He felt like he had been watched for the last hour, a hidden pair of eyes still seemingly following with every step that he took. If only he knew where this person was it would be an easier target to get rid of so that he could get on with his journey. But fighting blind wasn't something he wanted to do right now. He had enough fighting for today, and he just wanted to be alone at the moment so that he could collect whatever thoughts he had at the moment.

The wind whipped around him as the Chimaera kept on walking, moving his gaze forwards. He still couldn't get rid of the nervous feeling that laid at the center of his stomach, causing him to scrunch his face up in anger. There was something about this feeling that made him wonder about what was still out there, waiting for him to cross paths with it. He knew that there were still a few wandering souls left from Rezo's command that were waiting for the right time to jump upon him and take him down. But where would they take him? Who would they give him to? Any desolate place would suit a goblin or two, allowing them the slight advantage since there would be no travelers around to help him. Course, that didn't mean anything since Zel had a few things that would allow him to free himself. Then there was the fact that Rezo was dead, killed by his own ambition of wanting to cure his blindness that ultimately freed the Dark Lord.

Rezo's death didn't mean anything to him. It was just one less worry he had on his shoulders, and it was something he wouldn't want to think about in the days and weeks ahead. It was partly the Red Priest's fault for turning Zel into the monster that he saw every time he gazed into a mirror. The rest of the blame fell onto him for he had wanted power, and he paid the price for that want. Now he had to live with it for the rest of his life or until he found a cure and that cure didn't seem like it would be coming any time soon.

Zelgadis stopped walking, his body going stiff. He placed a hand upon the sword that was sheathed by his side, his eyes moving directly to one side as he narrowed them. Allowing the wind to swirl around his body, the Chimaera stood in that stance for several moments, his stone chest moving ever so slightly with every breath that he took. Then he slowly turned around, the sword slowly coming out of the sheath that was on his side as he placed it squarely in front of him, both of his hands on the hilt. There, as still as a rock, a lone figure stood, it's eyes covered by a hood. The cloak went down over it's shoulders and laid still on it's back as it's robes hung loosely towards the ground. A soft hand held a wooden staff with a single hole at the top of it, allowing light to pour through that very hole.

"Who the hell are you?" Zel demanded, raising the sword up, getting into a defensive stance.

"I am Chika, a humble appreciative," The figure said in a woman like tone, bowing ever so slightly before straighten her back.

"What do you want?"

"You need to go to Atlas City to meet with the Other."

"The Other?" He narrowed his eyes more. "Who's the other?"

"I do not know for she has gone by so many other callings it is hard to tell what her current name is," Chika replied, a light smile coming upon her lips, which were not covered by the hood. The Chimaera looked down at the ground for a moment, thoughts running through his mind before he looked back up at the apprentice.

"Would she have red hair and have a temper?" He wondered to the one that stood in front of him. He just made something up really fast, not knowing what the person in front of him might say. Course, he could be wrong on some things, but that was the way things went he supposed. He would be surprised at what anyone said anymore since things had turned the other way around in the last couple of days.

"Yes. Her hair is always the same as is her nature, but her appearance has changed since then. It has been a long time since I last saw her, and a while since I last saw you."

"I don't know what you want with me or Lina Inverse, but it won't go fulfilled. If you want to make the first move, then go ahead. Otherwise you don't stand a chance."

"Do you want a cure for what the Priest did to you?" Chika asked, turning her body around as she took several steps down the path. Zelgadis lowered his sword, his eyes going wide as he stared after her.

"How....how do you know what.....?"

"I know many things that even you do not, some of them that you need to know while others are best left to the wind's secrets," The apprentice stopped walking as she turned her head over her shoulder. "Now is not the time to discuss such things as there is no time to waste. You must go back to Atlas City to meet with my master and the Other. There you two will learn more then what you need to know."

"But Atlas City is more then a half of a day's walk from here! By the time that I get to the City, Lina would've left by then!"

"I suppose she would have left the City by then, but she wouldn't dare. There is too much riding on this," She replied, turning her head towards the direction she wanted to go in. Zel stared at her back, still wondering what this person's words meant. He didn't even know who she was or who her master was at this point, and he probably wouldn't know any time soon although he was compelled to know who these people were.

"Why can't you bring her out here instead of going back to where she is?" Zel asked, getting into a defensive stance. "I'm sure that your master has more power then Lina does."

"Because there is no time for him to do such a thing."

"No time for what?"

"It's too hard to explain right now," Chika turned around to face the Chimaera, her unhidden lips pushed together in a thin line. Even though Zelgadis couldn't see her eyes, he could tell that they were upon him at the moment. An uneasy feeling washed over him which was the same feeling he had gotten five minutes before he had come face to hood with Chika. There was something that was wrong with her, and he planned on finding out what it was and soon.

In fact, there was something that he did not like about this situation. He didn't think that Lina couldn't handle herself in something, whatever it was, and not come out of it okay. After seeing her go up against something like the Dark Lord, he knew that everything would be okay. Whatever this being wanted, he wouldn't go down easily.

"If this is just about her, leave me out of it. She can handle herself," He snorted.

"It's not just about her, damnit. It's about the fate of the whole world. If you two do not come together, the Earth will be sent into a state of freezing and then a darkness will take over it. Do you understand?"

"I see. So, if I don't go with you, the entire world goes to hell, right?"

"You could say that," Chika shrugged. "It's not like it hasn't done something like that before. It's just now that someone is able to stand up against it."

"Like I said before, Atlas City is a long ways from here. If you are so bent on time, then why can't your master meet us half way?" The Chimaera narrowed his eyes at her. Chika shook her head at this.

"No. It's too dangerous to do so. There might be someone out in the open that will hear our words, and the wind has ways on sending people the information they desire," The unknown answered easily. "I'm taking a big risk right now on telling you what is going on."

"Take the risk then. I need more answers before I can go into the City and seek out your master. Is this understood?"

"You've never worried about what little information you've gotten before. Why start now?"

"Going up against Shabranigdo can change a person," Zelgadis snapped at her. He was starting to become impatient with her, and his anger would probably get the best of him soon. He hated being asked a million questions if it did not have anything to do with his current mission. And, right now, the questions had nothing to do with him as far as he was concerned.

"I'm sure that it does, but I'm not talking about Shabranigdo. Hell, anything that is associated with him I am not mentioning. This is a power that's beyond such things," Chika tapped the bottom of her staff with the ground, a low growl coming from her lips. Zel furrowed his brow at her, his impatience grow more and more with each passing second.

"Look, why don't you just tell me what is going on, and maybe I'll come," At that point, he was ready to charge at her, but instead he held that urge back as the woman turned around once again.

"I see that you are not going to be swayed by this, and you know that I am not going to tell you anything until we are in Atlas City. If you decide to come to the City, then go ahead. I will not bicker with you any longer," With that, Chika started to walk forwards as a light mist started to form around her. Zelgadis allowed the blade of the sword to shift it's weight to the ground as he watched the mist like fog surround Chika, his eyes going wide. His thoughts pulled him in all directions as he tried to figure out what to do, either keep going onto the same path he was going on or go back to where he had started at before. It was a hard decision to make, and not something he would take lightly at the moment.

"I know I am going to regret this," Zelgadis grumbled, sheathing his sword as he ran into the mist after Chika. His body totally disappeared from sight before the mist lifted, revealing nothing to be upon the path where there was once two living beings. Both had disappeared with no one knowing where or how they went.

****

Gourry walked out of the restaurant, his stomach feeling like it was about to burst from all of the food that he had eaten. Course, he wasn't entirely full at the moment. Just needed to find some other place that he didn't eat at yet as he stopped a few feet away from the entrance of the restaurant. His eyes roamed street, moving over the people that walked along, laughing with others or just glancing towards the few stalls that lined the many shops of Atlas City. He had to smile just a bit at the expressions of those that went by, some of which were happy while others were more serious then the rest.

He sighed, his eyes hopping from one person to another before someone caught his attention. It was really the red hair that made him scan his eyes back to the left as his lips frowned for a moment then smiled again even if it was a forced smile. The swordsman knew it was Lina right away, and didn't bother calling out to her for a moment. It wasn't that he didn't like her; he did in a way. It was just that the sorceress's temper scared him more then her appetite did. He was scared that she might use a Dragon Slave on him out of nowhere, and that was one of the most powerful spells in the world. At least, from what Lina told him. After all, she could be wrong in that sense.

"Hey Lina!" Gourry called over the heads of the towns people. The red puff of hair stopped moving as it turned from side to side, trying to figure out who had called it's name. Regretting the next move, Gourry waved his arms frantically, signaling to the other where he was as people moved out of the way to reveal more of the tiny sorceress. When they did, he could tell that she looked sullen for a moment, like she didn't want him to see her before she trudged towards him slowly then quickened her pace. She stopped a foot in front of him, her hands on her hips and her face serious.

"Where have you been?" Gourry asked dumbly, staring down at her.

"Went out of the City for a while. Had to think," Lina replied, rolling her eyes. "I can tell that you were really concerned about me. And to think that you are supposed to be my bodyguard."

"Oh," Gourry responded blankly, his eyes moving to the sky. "Sorry. I know you can handle yourself after what you did to Shabranigdo."

"Anything happen while I was gone?" She demanded, dismissing the mere mention of the Dark Lord's name.

"No," There was a pause for a moment as Gourry watched a bird fly away then moved his eyes back down to the girl. Then a faint memory of what had happened a few hours ago came back to his mind. "Oh, yea. A man wanted to see you earlier. Can't remember his name, but I think he wanted to meet you or something like that?"

"What guy? Zelgadis?" Lina inquired, raising an eyebrow at this. Gourry could tell that someone asking for her was a surprise even though most people knew who she was.

"No, it wasn't him," He thought for another moment on this. "I believe he wanted you to meet him at the magic shop in the middle of the City. Or was it the one on the other side....?"

"DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S DANGEROUS TO TALK TO STRANGERS!?!?" Lina screeched out, flailing her arms wildly. Then she started to mutter something under her breath as she paced in front of him, a pissed off look on her face. A few people turned their attention towards the two as they walked by, their eyes widening just a bit at the sorceresses antics while a few whispered to those that they were with. "You don't know who that could have been. Maybe it could have been someone left over from Rezo. Maybe....."

"Calm down, Lina. He didn't look like he had anything to do with Rezo or Shabranigdo."

"That's what we thought at first with Rezo. We didn't know he was the one that wanted to resurrect the Dark Lord just for the ability to see."

"You talked to me then so you have room to talk."

"Yea, so?" Lina stopped her pacing so that she could look up at him, placing her hands back upon her hips.

"I thought you just told me that it was dangerous to talk to strangers? Well, I am a stranger," Gourry pouted at this.

"What did this person look like?"

"Well, I think he was middle aged, and was wearing a cloak," Gourry moved his eyes around, the wheels in his brain trying to remember. It wasn't the fact that he couldn't remember what had happened then; it was just that his mind would wander from thing to thing before what had happened before it faded into the back of his mind. Then, if someone asked a question on what had happened a few hours ago, he'd start to stammer, and make up some stupid thing to compensate for what he didn't remember.

"You don't remember?"

"Um.....not that much, Lina. It was a couple of hours ago, and there was a lot of other people in the restaurant so I can't be sure exactly what he looked like and what he was wearing. All I remember is that he wanted to meet you at the magic shop in the center of the City."

"At least you were able to remember that," The girl said, rolling her eyes.

"What are you going to do, Lina? Are you going to meet this guy?" Gourry asked, moving his eyes back upon her. Lina thought a moment about this, her eyes widening for a moment then going back to their original shape as she smiled.

"Of course I am. And so are you. I want to know what this guy wants with me!" With that, Lina took his hand and started to pull him into the center of Atlas City.

****

The creature sat a little bit aways from the gates of the City, it's crimson eyes staring at the gates that allowed people to come into it. It kept it's body mostly in the dark for it did not want to be seen by those what walked down the path that lead from Atlas City and into the wilderness that surrounded it. There was no point in showing itself so early in this stage for it was not ready to be seen. At least, to any other mortal besides Lina Inverse.

It knew that Lina was inside the City. He could feel her very presence inside of there. Even though her body had changed since the last time that he saw her, her spirit had not. There was something about her that he couldn't get out of his mind and his body. It was something that couldn't easily be broken even if he tried to do so or if anyone else tried to do so. It was more complicated then what he or anyone else knew. But it had a easy solution to it, and one solution to it all.

Kill Lina Inverse.

To Be Continued......