Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Paint the Sky with Stars ❯ Dance Dance Revelation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Paint the Sky with Stars - Chapter 2

Author: Yugure

Genre: Romance - Z/L

Rated: PG-13

Disclaimer: See previous chapters.

Chapter 2 - Dance Dance Revelation

With thinly veiled amusement and disgust, Zelgadis watched Lina inhale a plate of angel hair pasta. Her manners were less than magnificent, and as she chugged a glass sparkling water in record time, Zelgadis began to have second thoughts about offering lunch.

"So who are you, and what were you doing in my clearing?" Lina finally said, having the decency, Zelgadis noticed, to finish chewing her food first.

"It's not your clearing, and I was there because I recognized the music you were playing," Zelgadis replied. "It has… sentimental value for me."

"Uh-huh," Lina grunted. She crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair. "So you trekked through that damn briar patch wearing shorts and tennis shoes just so you could hear it better?"

"…. Basically, yes."

"You sure are a funny guy."

"Well explain to me why you were back there yourself, then. If you claim that clearing as your own, then you also had to trek through that, as you so nicely put it, damn briar patch." Zelgadis signaled the waitress over to fill their water glasses.

"So? Your point?"

"You don't make much sense, either. Any particular reason why you were there?"

"None of your business." Lina grabbed hold of the waitress's arm before she left and ordered another plate of pasta. "Why are we still talking about this?"

"I haven't the slightest," Zelgadis replied, coughing to cover the laughter that escaped his lips. He was fascinated, albeit also a little disgusted, by this girl, who very clearly wouldn't take any crap from anybody. Her attitude was so invigorating and demanding she could make the dead sit up and pay attention. She was also very different from… Zelgadis took a quick gulp of water to chase away the train of thought. "I don't even know your name."

"Lina Inverse. You?"

"Zelgadis Graywords."

"Nice to meet you." Lina smiled at the irony of the statement. It certainly hadn't started out that way. "And thanks for lunch. I was starving. I don't get a whole lot of food at home."

"You're very welcome. If you don't mind my asking…"

"My family is poor. Yeah, I still live with them. I don't have enough money to go away to school, and even if I did, I'd use it to help my mom. She got depressed when Dad left. I could care less. He used to beat Mom, so I was glad when he left. And then my imouto-chan died, from drug overdose. She was only 15, too. What a waste of life. Onee-chan is still alive, but I don't trust her one bit." A shadow crossed over Lina's face as though, at that moment, she relived a terrible memory. "So food is scarce around home."

Zelgadis stared at Lina as the waitress set another plate in front of her and she happily hacked away at it. Zelgadis felt somehow guilty. His father always told him he was too sympathetic. Zelgadis grew up in a wealthy home and always had everything his heart desired. Now, faced with this girl who obviously had a rough childhood, he wanted to do something for her. Zelgadis also knew she would never accept his help.

"Why are you so… happy, so carefree, if your life is like that? No offense, Lina, but it sounds like you've had a very brutal life, " he finally said, voicing his thoughts.

"None taken," Lina replied. "I'm moving on with my life. I can't dwell in the past all the time. Someday, I'll get out of that hellhole and have my own life. I have to work for it, and if I don't let go of the past, I'll never get there. I refuse to be all mopey and depressed about something I can't change. You know?" Lina continued to chatter on.

Zelgadis did know. Somewhere in his mind, he knew that letting go was the best possible action he could take. And still he clung to past, refusing to give up his hopes and dreams. Or maybe… maybe the truth was that the past clung to him… Either way, Zelgadis was tightly tied to his memories of a much happier time.

"So, you got any skeletons in your closet?" Lina's words cut through Zelgadis's reverie.

"No, none," he commented absently.

"Yeah right," Lina snorted. "Everybody has at least one. C'mon, what are you hiding?"

"We hardly know each other. I don't think this is an appropriate topic to be discussing."

"Okay, okay, whatever." Lina grinned. "I don't suppose you'll let me get a piece of chocolate cake…"

"Sure, go right ahead." Letting out a happy squeak, Lina called the waitress back over.

***

Lina watched Zelgadis over the rim of her water glass. He looked so blank, so unemotional, and yet Lina could see the unhappiness lurking in his eyes. Lina desperately wanted to know what was. She even opened her mouth to ask but closed it quickly when the unhappiness mutated into anger. Anger at her, or at his memories, she wasn't sure. Better not ask, she thought.

"I'm really sorry you… have to live like that," Zelgadis said, the anger dissipating. He folded his hands in his lap and looked at Lina.

"Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault," Lina replied, digging her fork into the cake.

"Still, I feel sorry on your behalf. If there's anything I can do…" Zelgadis trailed off at the look on Lina's face.

" 'Anything you can do?' " Lina repeated, the utensil and cake halfway to her mouth. She dropped it with a clatter. "Don't have pity on me. I hate when people pity me."

"I just want to help - "

"They all want to help!" Lina suddenly shouted. The other diners turned to stare at them. "Everybody wants to help poor little me! I'm working my ass off to get somewhere in life, and then some snobby, rich, self-righteous jerk shows 'pity' on me and wastes all my efforts. I'm never going to get anywhere if I can't do it myself. Do you understand?!"

Zelgadis simply nodded. Lina shoved her chair away from the table and stood up.

"Thanks for the meal. See ya around," she mumbled. She left the restaurant in a hurry.