Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall
Book One: Assassins and Shadows
Chapter Six


“Got any ideas, Gourry?” I asked weakly at the sight of our distressingly formidable foes.

“You’re asking me? I though you were the smart one!” Gourry complained while positioning himself infront of me.

“Yeah, but I thought you were just saving up for times like this.”

Seriously though, we were screwed. Three demons blocked our way, all wearing Zanassfar Armor. There was something funny about the Zanassfar though. . .something I couldn’t place at the time as I was too busy thinking about how to stay alive for the next few minutes.

“Lina Inverse,” the demon with the white mask spoke, and eerily enough, the mask moved like it was actually its face. Maybe it was, who knows? “To fight you in such a pitiful state would be beneath us. . .”

“What? So you’ll leave me alone for the next century and a half?” I put in.

“. . .so instead, though I believe you are already familiar with them, let me introduce to you the Zephillian Royal Guard.” He snapped and soldiers appeared out of the alleys, balconies and on top of the rooftops effectively surrounding us.

Screwed indeed. . .

The Royal Guard were renown for being some of the best soldier’s in the known world. They had to be in order to protect the royalty (though until recently royalty had been quite capable of defending themselves) from the many dangers in this still mostly untamed and dangerous country. Armed with javelins, short swords and slings, they are deadly no matter what the distance.

The masked mazoku pointed to us and said, “There they are! These are the fiends that murdered your king!”

The guard slowly, cautiously moved in to constrain us. Something didn’t fit though, the guard didn’t look at all perturbed at taking orders from mazoku. Quite the opposite in fact, they looked downright terrified at us!

“Can this be true!?” Amelia suddenly cried out from atop a roof with Zel. “That the Holy Order of the Royal Zephillian Emerald Knights have fallen so low as to take orders from demons!? Say it but a lie!” A justice speech! I had almost missed them. . .. “Repent now of your sins and realize the folly our your grave mistake! If justice is to be served then strike out against the unholy creatures you call master!”

“Kill her first.” The masked demon ordered and the knights moved to comply.

Zel cast a levitation spell while a dumbfounded Amelia hurriedly joined in. Quickly they descended to reinforce Gourry and I.

“Any bright ideas?” Zel asked.

“Funny you should say that, because Lina just asked me the same thing,” Gourry announced just a hint of amusement in his voice, “Bright ideas, huh?” He then turned towards me and Amelia and started blinking meaningfully at the demons direction. I first thought he had something in his eyes but then I began to see the glimmerings of his plan. One the demons would be better off not knowing about guessing by his clumsy sign language. He turned to Zel and discreetly pointed to a group of guards coming down an alley. He made a fist then released it in a bursting motion. He then glanced at a basement window leading into a building that made up the alley.

I understood his plan now, and realized that it was desperate enough to work. And it was something that wouldn’t tax my dwindling reserves too much.

“I know that you are planning something, and though I know not what it is, you must realize that it cannot work.” the lead demon sneered and the others got ready for whatever it we were going to do. The guards began to ran at us now with javelins ready to throw, closing the noose.

“Now!” Gourry commanded and we let loose our trap.

“Arrgh!” The demons roared, as well as many of the guards, blinded by Amelia’s and my maximum brightness, zero duration light spells. It’s amazing how many times that old standby works and keeps on working.

A split second later a series of explosions ripped through the alley, courtesy of Zelgadis and we jolted for it before anyone’s vision could recover. Instead of running through the alley and into the main city, we instead entered the basement window Gourry had meaningfully glanced at. I stumbled into the dilapidated building and scrambled in much slower than the rest. I cursed myself for being such a liability and pressed myself against a wall, out of sight from anyone looking through the window and we all collectively held our breaths.

We knew we couldn’t fight in our- mostly my, present condition at that point. We were too exhausted. Mind you that we would probably be pummeled in any other circumstance. They were wearing Zanassfar armor! The implications of that revelation were terrifying!

Let me set you guys straight. Y’all seem just a little confused.

Zanassfar armor was originally an elven armor created during the Demonic Resurrection some one thousand years ago. Its main purpose is to shield the wearing from magic. Almost ANY kind of magic. Black, White, Shamanistic even the most powerful spells can be deflected. The only things that can penetrate the armor are one; the Sword of Light which now no longer exists in this universe and two; Nightmare magic which, as far as I know, only I can use.

That wouldn’t be so much of a problem for me if nightmare magic weren’t so damned difficult and exhausting to use. What really had me freaked though, was the prospect of the demons having possibly found a way to mass produce Zanassfar, thus making an invincible army of mazoku. It could mean the War of the Demon Beast Resurrection all over again only a thousand times worse with the shattering of the Pillar of the World the only likely outcome!

I could hear the frantic footsteps of the guard looking for us. I didn’t dare to breath when they ran by the window we entered but luckily they barely even slowed down to look and they just went on running towards where they assumed we ran.

Not bad, Gourry. . .

Then another group of footsteps stopped right infront of the window. I could feel the demonic aura and I had the disturbing notion that if I so much as involuntarily twitched we would be found out.

Then Amelia started to snore.

“Clever,” I heard the leader mazoku say.

“Shit! Run!” I yelled while the first energy blast shook the building foundation.

“Huh? What!?” A groggy Amelia mumbled, just waking up from nap time.

“Awww. . .poor sleepy head,” I smacked her upside the head, “Now get moving unless you want to turn into a pancake!” She blushed at the mention at that particular breakfast food and I vowed never to eat breakfast with her again.

Zel and I ran side by side towards the stairs but another blast knocked some a large chunk of ceiling loose and it fell onto the stairs, making them impassible.

I thought about blasting another hole through a wall, like when we escaped from the restaurant but I deemed it too risky. The demons probably have the place surrounded and they wouldn’t fall for the same trick twice.

“Over here!” Gourry called from across the basement. He was gesturing to what looked like a door that lead to some kind of a tunnel. Fair enough, even if it lead to a cave full of Naga clones it still would be better than having a house collapse on us. Barely.

So into the tunnel we went, with more and more of the house falling apart. All of us got in on time and we slammed the door shut just as the house completely imploded. Dust forced its way in through cracks and seams along the door making it difficult to breath and see. Even so we had to press on. As soon as the demons figure out that we weren’t beneath the rubble they’d come looking for us in a flash. Better to be not around when that happens.

We ran as fast as we could despite the fact that we seemed to have misplaced our legs for wet noodles. Well except for Gourry and Zel. I have said it once and I’ll say it again; those two are machines! Oh, and Amelia seemed to be doing fine as well. Shit. I guess I was the only one who was about to collapse in a quivering pile of Lina pudding. Maybe I should work out more?

Anyways, we ran and we ran some more for grins and giggles down the earthen tunnel without any end to it in sight. Somewhere along the millionth kilometer I was beginning to think that we got trapped inside a pocket dimension but then a iron door knocked some sense into me.

“That’s an odd way of knocking,” quipped Zel, peering down at me from my prone position on the dirt floor.

“Where the hell did that come from?” I said, rubbing my forehead. My hand didn’t come away bloody but it still hurt like a son of a bitch.

“Oh, it sort of magically appeared just for you to hit. . .” Gourry’s smart ass reply trailed off and I knew I was blacking out. Why is my noggin always subject to abuse? If this keeps up, soon I’ll be just like Gourry.




What I assumed to be sometime later, I was awoken by a noise that sounded much like an owl’s hooting. I opened my eyes and saw two Amelia’s, Amelilie or whatever, standing with their backs turned next to me. I rubbed my face trying to clear the fog pervading my brain. I looked again and my eyesight was still blurry and seeing double. I looked around the room, making out hundreds of wooded crates, some were open but most were still stacked fairly neatly. The room didn’t have any windows that I could see, which suggested that we were still somewhere underneath Zephyr City.

The room was brown, probably a earthen cellar, next to one of the open crates was a cot and some food. I looked some more and found Zel and Gourry guarding large metal doors on opposite sides of the room.

Wait a minute. . .

One Gourry, one Zelgadis. . .TWO Amelia’s!?

I shot another look at the double, my eyesight was clearing up and I could see more and more that the Amelia’s were in fact two different people. I sat up and leaned against the crates next to my bedroll, something unexpectedly hard and heavy fell into my lap. I held it up to my face.

“McPhearson’s Zephillian Cream Liquor?” I read, whispering.

“Yeah, this place is jammed pack full of this stuff.” Gourry said, somehow hearing me from 20 feet away.

“You mean we are in a bar’s storage cellar?” I reasoned.

“Not exactly, Lina dear,” I voice said. I know that voice. . .

“Oh no.” I said, not believing who was approaching me. But the gigantic twin spherical chest protrusions mocked my disbelief.

“I am not surprised you are so shocked to see me! After all, I, Naga the Serpent, have become all the more beautiful since you’ve disappeared on me! Oooohohohoho!”

“That’s it, goodnight!” And I blacked out once again, this time on purpose.




Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes!

To Dar’Sel’La - Not quite what you were expecting, eh?

To MCLBLUE - Thanks again for your review!

To FireStorm - Stupid links. Well they could always copy and paste it to the address bar.

Ok. Kind of a short one this time. Been really busy, sorry for the late update. Anways, now that the gang has escaped the mazoku but Lina’s worst nightmare has been realized! Naga has returned! What hijinks await the slayers in the next chapter of Slayers: Knightfall!?