Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall
Chapter Fourteen

"We are so screwed," I muttered.

We stood in our underwear, staring at the canine beast before us. Gourry and I both had our weapons out and ready. The monster was easily twenty feet in length and nine feet at its broadest. It probably weighed close to a ton, and its huge paws could bury even a man Gourry’s size. Its reddish skin was rumored to be impenetrable to all but the most enchanted of weapons … which might be our only break, as its green, wire-like hair is said to protect the Cu Sith against magic.
It truly deserved to be named Shabranigdo’s personal hell hound.

The creature’s red eyes glittered impassively in the dark night, dollops of drool dripping from its yellow- and red-stained maw. Then its stiff green hair suddenly stood straight on its ridge mane, which was the only warning we got before it leaped into our midst, jaws snapping and claws swiping. We managed to jump out of the way: I went left and Gourry went right, and the Cu Sith in between.

In this pitch-black night, I was at an almost-complete disadvantage. I could only see the hell hound by its glowing eyes. Even then, I couldn’t really tell where its paws were, and against this thing, guessing wouldn’t be good enough.

The danger dog slapped its paws at me almost too fast. I barely got my short sword up in time to block it, sending sparks when it hit, which illuminated the immediate area just long enough for me to see where the next strike was coming from (as well as its nightmare muzzle). It was still almost too fast for me.

Damned thing fights like a pissed-off house cat!

I couldn’t find an opening to attack and I couldn’t keep parrying like this forever! I wish I could’ve just flown out of there but I knew that if I tried, the thick canopy would get in the way and the demon dog would get an easy meal.

Luckily Gourry quickly came to my aid and chopped furiously at the monster’s backside.

Serves you right, Dog Breath!

The finest edge I had ever seen on any weapon and all the Blast Blade did was shave a few hairs. Gourry jumped back and looked at his weapon as if it betrayed him.

I did too.

"We’re trying to kill the thing, Gourry!" I said, between my attempts to parry the hound’s unrelenting strikes. "Not giving it a hair cut!"

"It’s not my fault!" Gourry cried and went back in, hacking away with reckless abandon.
Gourry’s impromptu hedge trimming finally caught the beast’s attention and he turned away from me to face this latest annoyance, putting Gourry on the defensive. I took a very quick breather and started to chant.

I was feeling good. But not quite Knightmare good … though I was willing to risk it, if all other options failed. Instead I tried. . .

"Zellas Brid!" If my theory is correct, the Cu Sith’s hide, which acts like full plate armor against magic, absorbs vast amounts of energy by dispersing it over a wide area. The Zellas Brid spell creates a very thin ribbon of magical energy with unparalleled controllability. I aimed for one of the least thick patches of fur (courtesy of Gourry the Barber-arian) and hoped for the best. A heavy long bow can pierce a suit of full plate mail and I hoped the same would hold true for the Zellas Bris vs. Cu Sith hide.

Oh, how my hopes were dashed into little, itty-bitty, magical pieces!

Instead of impaling the creature, the spell merely bounced off. I almost didn’t pick my jaw off the floor in time to alter its course from Gourry. I felt like I’d stepped into a big steaming pile of dog poop.

At this rate, we both will become nothing more than dog poop. . .

I decided to try a different tactic then, taking a page from the book of Amelia.

"Visfu Rank!" My power words infused my fist with magical power. I eyed the Cu Sith’s skinny little hind legs (which still happened to be about the size of my waist). Gourry was getting tired be the sound of his grumbling while I snuck up behind the beast.

Aiming for the joint, I threw everything I had into that punch and was rewarded with a satisfying crunch and the collapse of the dog. I had completely buckled the thing’s left hind leg! Unfortunately, that single punch completely drained the Visfu Rank spell. And it broke a few of my fingers.

Gourry directed a powerful overhead chop at the Sith’s surprised head, missing by a hair as the enraged beast, with a bone-chilling snarl, mightily swung its considerable weight in my direction.

Gourry cursed, caught by surprise.

It caught me by surprise too, and I didn’t quite jump out of the way in time. Four hot lines appeared on my stomach. They hurt like hell, but I knew the freak hadn’t cut me too deeply. (I have plenty of experience with deep tissue wounds, so I know what they feel like.) What I was worried about right then was the disease and rot Cu Sith wounds brought. We needed to kill this thing right now!

Gourry flipped his sword over and held it blade down, desperately trying to impale the thing.

"Why won’t it just die!!" Gourry screamed. Then his sword slid into the beast’s flank as easily as a straw into a beverage. My Zellas Brid must’ve weakened that point … and Gourry’s sword went for the kill!

Though I’ve never heard of a fatal ass wound before. . .

The overgrown mutt yelped in pain. Its subsequent bucking knocked Gourry and his blade onto the ground. Immediately the dog turned on the source of its hurt and tried to pin Gourry down with its monstrous paws for an easy kill. Gourry was desperately dodging and rolling out of the way, occasionally batting at the canine’s soft foot pads, which only made the monster even angrier. It increased its furious attack.

My stomach burned like hellfire, but I had to push through it and figure out a way to end this thing.

Anything calling upon Ruby Eye was going to be useless. Any other black magic calling upon lesser demons would be equally useless, as we needed to end this thing now! I decided to use some shamanism. No, I didn’t think I would be able to kill the beast; I had something else in mind.

"Diem Wing!" A powerful blast of wind knock the Cu Sith off balance just long enough for Gourry to get out from under it and back onto his feet.

The Cu Sith predictably turned its attention back to me, just as planned, and charged.

"Lina!" Gourry cried out, concerned over my lack of obvious defense.

Watch this.

The dog was only five yards away when I sprang my trap.

"Bephis Bring!" A massive hole opened up beneath the suddenly dropping doggy. It tried frantically to claw its way up, to find some kind of purchase on the magically smooth walls of the hole. All it could do was dig chunks out of the dirt, hardly slowing its descent. It hit bottom with a "wumph" and a yelp, and I dropped to my knees in relief.

Now to see to these scratches.

Gourry ran to my side and tenderly lifted my shirt just enough to get a look at my wounds. He grimaced at the greenish color of the skin surrounding the scratches and I nearly puked.

Yes, Cu Sith wounds can be nasty. I was starting to feel feverish and sweat was pouring out from all over my body, stinging my already painful injuries.

"Dang it, Lina, how many times is it going to take before you learn to dodge?" Gourry said, trying to bring some humor into a dire situation. He didn’t even smile though. He looked genuinely freaked, like he had in all the other, far too many times when I’d been seriously injured.
"Get my cape and dig out the rest of Amelia’s potion," I bit out, seriously thinking I was going to barf all over Gourry.

"Right." He started to scramble back to the tent. "Stay put!" he said looking back once before entering the flap.

As if I have a choice!

I fell to my back, ignoring the inevitable pain, and stared at the dark canopy above. Learn to dodge indeed. What do you want me to do? Put springs into my heels and call me Jack? (If you get this reference, you deserve a cookie.)

I really need to learn some more healing spells.

I tilted my head forward and stared with a mounting feeling of dread at one particular scratch right above my womb. I cast a recovery spell, but it did nothing more than numb the pain a little and did nothing to stop the wound from festering. Suddenly the canopy took on red and green tint just as a small tremor shook the ground all around me.

If I’d felt like puking a minute ago, at that moment I was only milliseconds away.

"You can’t do that," I squeaked at the massive form of the Cu Sith directly above me. The damned thing had somehow jumped or clawed its way out of an impossibly deep hole! Just what in the seven hells did I have to do to kill this thing!?

"Lina!" Gourry cried, crashing through the tent and distracting the ADHD-afflicted beast just long enough for me to roll out from under it, as Gourry had done moments before. Gourry threw the healing potion he’d brought from the tent onto the ground, and it rolled away for a surprising distance. But what caught my attention was how the Cu Sith followed it for a few seconds before viciously attacking Gourry, who was once again unable to do anything against the wild and fast strikes of the demon.

An idea was forming in my agile little mind.

Gourry was tiring. Even with his incredible stamina, the unrelenting attacks as well as the events of the last few weeks had finally started to take their toll on him. His parries and blocks were coming just as fast as they usually did, but his aim was beginning to slip, and I saw a thin red line appear on his right forearm.

I sent a low-intensity illumination spell zooming in front of the monster’s eyes and circled it around, trying to get the beast’s attention. I needn’t have bothered with the fancy flying, though, as the slobbering beast snapped and swiped at the insubstantial glowing orb as soon as it appeared.

Gourry took full advantage of the dog’s lack of focus and slashed its eyes out, splattering blood and eye goo across the forest floor.

How that beast howled! I thought my ear drums were going to collapse!

The Cu Sith violently shook its head, trying to throw off whatever was causing its blindness and pain, I guessed. Gourry wisely stood back from the bucking and braying beast, not even attempting to continue his offensive.

That was my job.

Methinks it be time for some Blast Bomb!

"Get back, Gourry!" The dog’s ears stood up … and I knew I’d made a mistake. The Cu Sith growled away its pain (a ghastly sound) and sniffed the air for its prey, sucking up a fair amount of blood with its nostrils. That caused it to choke a little (which made me even more sick to my stomach).
Unerringly, it turned toward me.

Gourry took that as his cue to attack again. But just as he got within striking distance he got swatted away by a clumsily swung, but still on the mark, paw. I thought I heard something crack and I prayed it was just my imagination. Gourry landed with an "Oomph!" against a slender tree, which broke most of his fall, then forced himself back up and into the fray.

The Cu Sith was still advancing in my general direction, sniffing the air and shifting its ears, scanning for any sound I’d make. (At that point I was trying very hard not to make any.) This time, Gourry’s charge didn’t even warrant a twitch from the dog, which had learned its lesson about sticking to just one opponent at a time.

But it was the wrong lesson to learn.

The beast took another great sniff and more blood went along for the ride, causing him to cough repeatedly. During its involuntary respiratory reflex spell, Gourry insanely ducked underneath its maw and jammed his sword down its throat.

Sometimes crazy works.

Then the Cu Sith swallowed the sword.

Oh, nuh uh!

"You can’t do that," Gourry said, frozen with shock, before being swept aside once again, this time by the beast’s massive head.

The monster wasted no time and simply charged full speed ahead, intending either to bury me under its bulk or snap me up into its much-larger-than-me sized jaws. At the same time, the Cu Sith’s venom was still taking its toll; my legs and lower body in general were starting to go numb, though I couldn’t feel the scratches anymore.

I launched a flurry of flare arrows, knowing that they wouldn’t harm it, but hoping to distract it long enough for me to get a relatively safe distance away from that particular runaway wagon. But the arrows did nothing to deter its course. I subsequently went flying backwards, air blasted out of my lungs (as well as some blood) after it rammed me with its mammoth head. I landed several yards away, next to some thick foliage, and rolled a few more yards, generally making sure I’d wake up good and sore in the morning.

Assuming I woke up at all.

After a few moments of wondering why I wasn’t dead, I painfully lifted my head to locate the missing Cu Sith, half expecting to be eaten at any moment. My fears were unfounded: the monster was lying on its side just a few yards from my position, struggling to find breath. Its grotesque tongue had flopped out on the ground, and there was blood practically everywhere around the general vicinity.

Must’ve been something he ate.

"Gourry?" I raggedly called out, sending a little more blood up and out of my mouth.

I worried at the subsequent silence. He must’ve been knocked cold by his Cu Sith-induced flight. I dragged myself up, gritted my teeth against the pain of a million bruised and torn muscles, and looked for Gourry, as well as Amelia’s healing potion.

I found Gourry first, unconscious as I expected, his feet sticking comically out from some brush. By then my legs had gone completely numb so I had to drag myself, though I could feel even my arms starting to tingle. Pure desperation kept me going through it all, that and the thought of having been defeated by a dying overgrown mutt.

After a few minutes of fruitless searching, I could no longer feel my arms and was guiding them by sight alone. My vision was dimming and I found it harder to breathe.

This couldn’t be the end. . .my kid. . .hasn’t been born yet.

"Graaah!" I, uh, articulated and forced myself to keep moving, feeling the ground for the familiar touch of glass. The adrenaline quickly dissipated, though and I once again found myself fading to black. It felt as if I were floating in nothingness, a feeling I’d had once before.

It feels like the Lord of Knightmares has taken control of my body again, when my mind and soul were set adrift after Phibrizzo had burst my heart.

I knew that wasn’t the case, that it was just the venom messing with my senses, slowly killing me. I was actually thankful that it wasn’t painful like the stuff that got Millenia. Slowly, ever so slowly, the world stilled.

Eventually it grew dark.

As dark as a nightmare.

Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes!
Oh noes! Not another cliffhanger! Will Lina survive, thus making my little fic a little longer and giving me a chance to tie up the oh-so-many loose ends I’ve left in this story!? Probably.
But, the fun is in not knowing how she survives!
Til next time, and signed reviews only, please!