Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall

Chapter Eighteen


We were being followed.

It wasn’t so much a fact so much as a feeling I was getting more and more aware of ever since we, that is, Zelgadis, Amelia, Naga, Gourry and myself, had left Seyruun behind via the secret tunnels underneath the city and into Zephillian territory. I couldn’t tell if it the pursuers were hostile or not, and other than the general sense of being watched, they haven’t made their presence known.

Well, this takes me back to, oh, EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST MONTH!.

We took a different route into Zephillia than the one Gourry and I took a few weeks earlier. This one was off the beaten path, more a trail than any kind of road, and it was rough going with the amount of supplies we had to carry. But, it was the most direct route to the great forest in the northern reaches of the country. We didn’t get as deep as we needed to the last time we were there as there were. . .distractions. But this time, nothing going to stop us now! We were driven, to say the least. Or, at least some of us were.

Zel was happy to come along as the last of the creatures he needs is rumored to resides on the northern coast of Zephillia, not too far from were the Veil of Shadows is supposedly located. I’m not really looking forward to actually fighting a Nuckelavee, but I am not about to abandon Zel either.

Amelia was coming along for the sake of her sister, Gracia (a.k.a. Naga). To keep an eye on her and see if there is anything that might be able to rid her of the influence of the Xenasphyr, an evil and apparently ancient artifact that has the power to take over its wearers mind and turn them into idiots. Amelia had the relic in her possession, carried inside a shielded case that limits its ability to dominate Naga.

Naga was here because we didn’t have a choice. Believe me, if I had my way, we’d had dumped her at the last rest stop and had been rid of her and her. . .eccentricities. I mean, its only the fourth week and we’ve already had to keep her from eating things that should not be eaten (buttons, rocks, me), make sure that she doesn’t wear things that should not be worn (fish, entire tents, me) and we had to put up with her random verbal outbursts and other bouts of odd behavior (using Zel’s hair as a back scratcher for one). It was enough to make me want to have the old Naga back!

Gourry was here, as he always has, for me, my stalwart protector. Ever since we first met, he’s been protecting me with a single minded devotion unrivaled in this world. While he is kinda a pudding brain, I love him with all my heart and I know he’ll follow me to his death. While I’d do anything to prevent that, I’m eternally grateful for his devotion to me. Kinda makes a girl feel special, ya know?

As for me, I am finally off to the Veil of Shadows, one of the old, abandoned temples to the Lord of Nightmares to procure the Shard of Lucidia, an artifact key to the full awakening and control of my latent Knightmare powers. As of that point of our journey, I could only truly call upon my powers in periods of extreme anger or stress. If that wasn’t problem enough, the energy drain was enormous, easily worse than casting several Dragon Slaves at once but not quite as bad as using the Giga Slave. Several weeks ago, I had been using that power in as long duration as possible more than I really should have. As a result I had been perpetually weak and exhausted until Gourry and I found our way to Seyruun and actually had a proper rest.

Or at least tried to! As mentioned earlier, Riksfalto had to crash our party and drag us into yet another uncalled for fight. I. . .didn’t do much in that battle, so as a result I feel a little better physically, but emotionally I’m still a mess. I can’t stop thinking about when the next ambush will be and who, if anyone, will not make it out in one piece. Gourry was the only one who’s even picked up on my depression though he doesn’t know the full extent or all of the reasons for it. Everyone else just thinks I’m exhausted.

The evening twilight made the ancient dolums seem eerie in their silent vigil. Doloms, as you may not know, were used as graves many thousands of years ago. The are little more than four stone slabs put together like a house of cards but I guess they are sturdy enough as there are hundreds if not thousands of them dotting the Zephillian landscape.

“When do you want to set up camp, Lina?” asked Gourry.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “We are awfully exposed out here.” Nothing but hilly plains and the doloms for miles around. I could see the distant forest several miles away, but it will be well into the next day if we keep on walking. If our pursuers are going to make themselves known tonight, I’d rather it be on ground of my own choosing. “Let’s use these doloms for shelter,” I suggested. Each one is roomy enough for two and some of them are close enough together so it won’t compromise our security.

“Aren’t there dead bodies in there?” Amelia said nervously.

“Or, even better,” Zel said, pointing at the ring of standing stones about a kilometer away. A little fortress, was what he was probably thinking. Those rocks would provide some excellent cover, and if we didn’t have to start a fire -it was getting chilly- I doubt that anyone would be able to tell we were hiding there.

“Great idea, Zel.” I said, leading the charge to the top of the hill and into the relative safety of the standing stones. It was a ring shaped structure of about twenty tall and narrow stones stood upright. Every two stones had a flat, smaller rock onto on of them for support and many smaller stones could be seen encircling the perimeter of the site. In the very center was a small stone altar about two and a half feet off the ground. It felt kinda neat being within the stone circle. It was as if I was somehow connecting with my ancient ancestors, there was something magical tingling that night. Almost lifted my mood a full notch.

After we set up camp, Zel took it upon himself to go out on a roving patrol while Amelia spent her time trying to coax a tent pole waving Naga down off the one of the taller stones. It wouldn’t had minded Naga acting like an idiot but for the fact that she was effectively giving away our position to anyone who’s looking.

Gourry sat down beside me against one of the cold hard rocks that served as our walls and draped a warm arm around me. “Its been quiet lately, huh?” he commented, his breath fogging up a little in the cool autumn air. He must’ve not caught on to our tag alongs just yet, which surprised me as he is usually the first to pick up on imminent danger. Or maybe it is another aspect of my powers, being able to sense things I normally couldn’t?

“I’m not complaining,” I replied. “I’d almost consider this a vacation if not for the purpose of the little trip.” I sighed forlornly, gazing at the clear sky and bright twinkling stars. “Other than that, I’d call this a perfect night.”

Gourry then took an odd look, like he was pensively constipated or something. “You know, Lina? You haven’t been happy for a while now have you?”

“What do you mean?” I said a little too defensively. “ I’m happy that were all here together, I’m happy we hadn’t had to fight for our lives for a significant amount of time, I-“

”That’s not what I mean, Lina.” Gourry said obviously worried. “I mean, the cheerful, hyperactive, kick ass and take names kind of girl I knew hasn’t been around lately.”

I appreciated Gourry not mentioning why I haven’t been all that genki as of late. But some things take time to get over, you know? The death of your family not being one of the faster ones. But that wasn’t the real reason why I felt like I was swimming in Shabranigdo’s toilet; It was the not knowing whether or not I could protect everyone. But Gourry was right, I couldn’t keep on moping forever, but I really didn’t know were to begin. I’ve never dealt with mortality on such a personal level before. So I escaped the subject the way I usually do.

I changed it.

Abruptly.

“Millenia ago my ancestors used these structures as temples and seasonal calenders to keep track of the solstices and equinoxes. Now, I’m using it a shelter, kinda deep, eh, Gourry?” No, it really wasn’t but I’d figure it’d get him thinking at the least.

He looked to the ground, eyes narrow and biting his lower lip. He then did something completely unexpected; He got up and pulled me up with him, then he rapped me over the noggin and said with a grin, “You’re it.” He then ran into the small maze of standing stones.

I raised an eyebrow at Gourry’s bit of absurdity.

Oh. . ,it’s on.

I stood there dumbly for a moment, wondering what the hell had gotten into Gourry’s precious small mind. A large part of me said this was stupid, that childish games are something for happy little children with nothing to fear or worry about.

. . .nothing to fear or worry. . .what makes children so happy?

Then I got it. I got why Gourry decided to do something so silly and moronic that I could’ve sworn there was a genius hiding somewhere in the cavernous skull of his.

A playful yet predatory grin etched its way onto my face. “I’m gonna make you squeal like a pig when I find you!” I nonchalantly piddled around pretending to look around one stone but abruptly changing directions to search behind another, fully expecting Gourry to jump out and escape my grasp.

I saw Amelia giving up on Naga (who was now flapping her arms with a vigor that could only be described as. . .ludicrous) so I decided to bring her in on the fun.

“You’re it, bitch!” I laughed, smacking Amelia upside the head and then quickly dived for cover amongst the granite pillars.

“Oh, so that’s how it is!” I heard Amelia haughtily say, catching on quickly as she joined the silliness.

We gotta do something with this kid.

I heard Gourry moving from somewhere behind me, so I moved the opposite direction, being careful to stay in cover and listening and watching out for Amelia. I was totally in the game, my heart beating with the excitement of mock danger, my head, delirious with adrenaline, a wide smile plastered on my face, struggling not to giggle like a maniac.

By George! It actually worked! I was really, truly happy for the first time in weeks and I owed it all to Gourry and his brilliantly simple idea to play a game I thought I outgrew years ago. I didn’t even know how to begin to thank him. But then again, I was more worried about staying away from Amelia than anything else at the moment.

It went on for several minutes, sometimes I got tagged (quickly corrected, of course), other times I was running like my life depended on it. Either way, it was the most fun I’ve had this side of bandit exploding.

I found myself resting up against a rock, trying to catch my breath before either Amelia or Gourry, whoever was it, found me.

I strong hand gripped my shoulder and a male voice that wasn’t Gourry’s or Zel’s whispered into my ear, sending a shiver up my spine. “You’re it, Lina Inverse.”

I roughly pulled away and jumped back a few feet, drawing my sword. “Aiden!” His crimson eyes glinted amusement and violence.

“So happy you remembered my name,” he mocked as he drew his ridiculously large, red claymore. “Now, let’s finish what we started!”

Dammit! And I had so much to ask him too! I seriously started to think that the cliched pre-battle exposition wasn’t really a bad thing. Aiden began his charge and I sent a light spell into the darkness, alerting the others that I was in trouble. I barely brought my short sword up in time to deflect the Knight of Ruby Eye’s first blow, but I did, and even managed a brief counter which he swatted away with distressing ease.

I found myself on the defensive quickly and completely, I could hardly keep up with his relentless attacks and thanks to the rousing game of tag, I was fast losing stamina.

Dammit, Zel, you’d better hurry your ass over here!

“Lina!” Gourry predictably yelled as he leapt out from behind one of the pillars, beginning his attack. Gourry wasn’t taking any chances this time, his thrusts and parries were conservative. He was looking for a weakness in Aiden’s defense, an chance he didn’t get the last time they fought.

“Now!” Gourry suddenly shouted as he leapt backwards. Almost as soon as the word left his mouth the standing stone right next to Aiden exploded outward into the crimson knight, completely enveloping him in razor sharp debris. The effects of a Dam Brass courtesy of Amelia I take it.

Aiden stood in the dust cloud and rubble, apparently no worse for wear. I knew I couldn’t face him at close range and he could probably dodge most of my spells. I had to do something but what?!

Gourry renewed his attack, this time not as pussy footed, Aiden met his furious blows with an equally powerful barrage of his own.

I stared at the standing stones, strategy now in mind. I touched the closest one to me, chanting a spell and ran to the next one, and the next one until I had enchanted all the stones. Gourry and Aiden were still going at it, as fierce as ever with Amelia launching a support spell when she could do so without hurting Gourry. Naga was lightly skipping from stone to stone and I almost laughed about what was about to happen to her.

I saw Zel running to my side, his broadsword drawn and raring to go.

“Zel! Get Gourry away from Aiden! Now!” I ordered. Zel, guessing I had a plan (and guessed right he did!)didn’t even bother to ask why. He just ran to carry out his orders.

“Gozu Vro!” Zel’s shadowy spell sped towards Aiden, separating him and Gourry from their fight. Zel quickly grabbed Gourry by the belt and Rei Winged the heck out of there. Amelia followed suit stopping briefly to get Naga. Aiden finished disrupting Zel’s spell with no ill effects to show for it and his murderous eyes found mine.

Well that’s just frightening. . .how about you meet some of my new friends? They rock, you know?

“Golem army, attack!” I released my new spell and every single stone in the ruin took shape and animated with a life that only magic can give nonliving stone. Aiden was now surrounded by nearly two dozen decent sized golems. I got the hell out of the general vicinity via Rei Wing and landed on a hill some several hundred yards away.

Gourry and the others landed behind me and Zel let out an admiring whistle.

“Not bad, Lina.” he commented.

“I wish I thought of that!” Amelia said.

“They look delicious,” Said the only one currently crazy enough to say that with all seriousness.

“So what happens when he destroys them all?” Gourry asked.

I glared at him, shocked that he would underestimate my abilities so! Then I heard the crashing of split and tumbling rock amidst the occasion boom of stone fist hitting the earth. I about faced and saw Aiden standing among the remains of two of my precious golems!

“Oh yeah?!” I lamely taunted. “Eat this! Golems! Combine! Show your true power!”

At my command the individual golems became one giant golem! Some of them became parts for the legs, others the torso and so on until the beauty was a staggering 100 meters tall! It took a lumbering step trying to crush Aiden underfoot, but Aiden, being the fast bastard that he is, easily got to safety before the size 500 foot made landfall. The rumble nearly took us off our feet and I knew that not many creatures could survive that if the ultra golem could actually connect.

Zel and Amelia started to launch spells at Aiden, trying to herd him into the ten thousand ton golem’s range. I joined in with a barrage of flare arrows which exploded all around the knight, obscuring our view with smoke and dust. Zel launched a succession of fireballs and Amelia a series of Elemekia Lances. I sure as hell would not want to be at ground zero of that show of shock and awe. The ground was literally glowing with heat and I could feel a mild temperature increase even at this distance! The golem’s feet were now on fire, but it still seemed stable for the moment and hadn’t even slowed down its attack.

Then a crimson glow deeper than the color of flames painted the night sky and everything got eerily quiet. Suddenly my ultra golem shattered, sending pieces easily weighing in at the tonnage scale flying in all directions. Including ours.

“Barriers!” I screamed just before the earsplitting crack of my golems destruction made graced us with its painful presence. Luckily that didn’t stop us from casting an effective defense from the onslaught of raining rocks, some very small, other the size of a room at an inn.

“That wasn’t part of your plan I take it!?” Zel shouted above the turmoil.

“I didn’t know the man was part cockroach!” I retorted.

I knew that Knights were powerful but this was getting ridiculous! If Aiden was that strong as the Knight of Shabranigdo, then how much stronger can I become as the Knight of the Lord of Nightmares? Even just imagining it made my knees quiver with anticipation.

Finally the stones stopped pelting our barriers and I looked down to see Aiden fighting a new ally. . .or enemy I should say. “Come on guys! Let’s get the hell out of here!” I said and made ready to vamoose.

“We can’t just leave whoever’s fighting Aiden all by himself, Lina!” Amelia groused.

“We need to help finish him off,” Zel said, agreeing with Amelia.

I couldn’t refute their logic, yet I knew if we went and helped then we’d just end up fighting the very person we rescued. But how would I explain that to them?

“Hey,” Gourry mumbled, his hand above his eyes as if he was searching for something. “Isn’t tha-!”

I slapped my hand over his mouth to shut him up. I didn’t need to open this bag of worms, not in front of Amelia. We tumbled to the ground and wrestled for a few seconds.

“Lina!” Amelia sharply scolded. “That wasn’t very nice!”

“More to the point,” Zel said. “What is it that you’re trying to hide?”

“I’m hiding the bees knees!” Naga nonsensically and unintentionally stalled for me.

“. . . Well what are you waiting for? Search her!” I commanded, trying to buy time.

“No, tell us what you are hiding, Knightmare.” A coldly familiar voice beckoned.

“S-Stridus!” I stuttered. When did he finish his fight with Aiden!? “What the hell our you doing here?” I voiced my question with menace and then got myself and Gourry to our feet.

“Who is he, Lina?” Amelia asked, sounding a little perturbed at the man’s sudden appearance.

“I’m Stridus, the Knight of the Earth Dragon.” Stridus introduced himself. “Little Inverse, we didn’t finish the conversation we had last we met. You won’t escape this time.”

“The Knight of the Earth Dragon!?” Zel and Amelia both gaped.

“Sorry there, buddy. But I, well, you know. . .didn’t want to die! RUN!” I finished with a scream and took to the sky, Gourry in tow. . .and ran smack into Milgasia in his full dragon splendor.

“Why do you insist on running?” Boomed the mighty Dragon Lord. I looked down and saw Memphis and a few other elves I didn’t know facing off with Zel and the others, their Zanassfar Armor fully encasing their slight frames.

Surrounded. . .and they won’t fall for the same trick again.

“I dunno? Maybe because you want to kill me!” I had to think of a way to escape! While I didn’t want to leave Amelia and Zel, I may just have to if it comes down to my life. I could see Zel and Amelia talking to one of the elves. Stridus was resting his sword against his shoulder, tapping his foot impatiently.

“We aren’t going to kill you,” Mil tried to consul me. Not very hard if you ask me. “Not unless you become a threat.”

“And who is going to decide that? You?” I scoffed. “You once admired my resolve to live, even if something horrible would’ve happened if I lived. What the hell changed?” I demanded.

“Yes, I was impressed by your resolve, but at the same time I was playing my races survival. If I let you live, Xellos would not seek retribution. I could also stand to defy Gaav and his minions as they believed they could still form an alliance with the dragons at that time. When you fought the results of the chimera factories and the reincarnated Dark Lord, I was keeping an eye on you, testing your resolve, strength and courage. I was impressed. But then something unanticipated happened; Your family was murdered and along with it much of your restraint and common sense. That, along with your Knightmare abilities awakening, I saw a threat much to great to be left alone.”

“I wouldn’t destroy the world! Not even if you threatened my life!”

“How about your friends lives, then? I know you cast the Giga Slave in order to save Gourry and your other friends, despite the fact that you knew that was what Hellmaster wanted. In your state, how could I possibly trust any promise you would make not to do something like that again?”

“I- I-“

”Mr. Milgasia! Don’t you think you’re being too hard on Ms. Lina?” Amelia come to my defense.

“Despite Lina’s many misgivings,” Zel said. “She has never let us down, and, obviously, has not blown up all existence yet.”

“You guys. . .” I murmured, genuinely touched.

“She is an existence who’s power is too great to be understood, much less controlled.” Mil stonily said. After a second or two of silence he sighed heavily. “But I’m not going to deny your points. Lina is too unpredictable for any of the Ryusoku to be comfortable with, therefore I am leaving her under your watch and care.”

“No way!?” I shouted, unable to believe my ears!

“As the Princess and High Priestess of Seyruun you have more word that Lina will not be led astray as long as I am with her.” Amelia bowed before the dragon, acknowledging his wisdom or something.

“You’ve got to be kidding me. . .” I heard Stridus mumble while he destroyed a boulder with his cleaver out of sheer frustration.

“While I know you probably hate the thought of us babysitting for you Lina, it could’ve been much worse.” Zel said while rubbing the bridge of his nose in embarrassment.

“Would you like to be mustard sam?” Naga said, looking thoroughly mortified yet sounding like she was about to burst out laughing.

I just grinned, a whole load of bricks felt like they were lifted off of my shoulders.

“I knew Mil didn’t want to kill you!” Gourry gathered me up in a big bear hug and I couldn’t help but laughing like an idiot.

Well, that’s one problem out of the way, and just a whole cattle yard more to slaughter.

“What will you do now?” I queried the dragon.

“I’m going to see about gathering the rest of the dragons along with the Knights to organize a something of a resistence as well as gather intelligence as to what DeepSea is planning. You must continue on your journey to the Vale of Shadows, and gain the Shard. I do not know whether or not though, if you’ll become more trustworthy or even more a danger once you receive this power. Do not let the trust I am giving you be squandered.”

And with that warning Mil and his menagerie began to leave to the west, heading to who knew where leaving me feeling a little off balance. I was glad to have Mil off my back but I knew the moment I started acting all “I’m gonna blow up the world so watch out!” Mil wouldn’t hesitate to do anything and everything within his power to bring me down.

“Well,” I looked at my companions, one lover, two babysitters and one near incontinent loon. “Looks like we are going to have to prove to Mil that I can kick ass and for all the right reasons.”






Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes!

Hmmmm, this is a bit different. More changes to come!