Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall

Chapter Twenty

“I’m open to suggestions, you guys,” I yelped, dodging a well aimed hatchet. This was getting ugly. The endless number of Zephillian refugees that Valgaav had turned against us was pressing in fast. Flying away would probably be pointless as Valgaav seemed to be a demon, at least partially. While he had already left, leaving the crowd to do his dirty work, he no doubt had informants and the like in the refugee throng. How else would he had known where we were? Anyways, the point is that we’d be a lot more noticeable flying around like birds.

Bright, colorful birds with exotic plumage.

Valgaav. . .something about his name bothered me.

Amelia flipped a few of her own attackers unto their backs. “Well, we can’t kill them, but we have to get past them somehow!”

“The bees will save us!” Naga proclaimed and then. . .subsequently, nothing happened.

“Can’t you guys make a barrier or something with your magic?” Gourry grunted, throwing a young man into a crowd rushing in at him.

“Too many people, someone’s bound to get hurt or worse if we suddenly conjure up a stone wall or blast away with wind spells.” Zel deflated that idea.

“How about we use you as a shield and push our way through?” I suggested, only half kidding. But if our lives depend on it, Zel’s consent or not, that’s EXACTLY what we will be doing.

“How about no?” Zel rejected my brilliant idea, and instead came up with one of his own.

He removed the scarf and cowl he normally wore to hide his face from strangers which, as you are all well aware, is pretty scary looking the first time you see it. Light blue granite and water smoothed pebbles of sea green color made up his visage with silver, wire for hair. The curse Zelgadis has lived with for over half a decade.

Many of the refugees stopped at the sight of Zel. Now suddenly unsure of whether or not they should attack this “monster” in their midst.

Hello!? There was a guy with a horn protruding from his forehead standing over there!

“Zel!” Amelia was mortified. She knew more than any of us just how sensitive Zel was about his appearance.

Zel levitated some ten feet into the air so that everyone could get a good look. Though he was hiding it well, I could tell that this farce was taking an emotional toll on him.

This isn’t just my story. . .I suddenly remembered. Zel and Amelia have their own reasons to travel with me. The show that Zel was putting on hammered that home.

Zel bared his teeth at the crowd. “Are you sure you want to take me on?”

To my delight, a sizable section of the murderous gaggle parted to let us through. A large number of people weren’t close enough to know what has happened, so we hoped to lose ourselves within the crowd before word spreads too much about yet another bounty on my head.

I, obviously, could pass myself as Zephillian as the next one and could cover for Gourry. Amelia, with her stark raven hair, delicate build and thick Seyruun accent, and Zel with his well, Zel in general would be much harder to conceal.

Still we pressed onwards. Plus I swiped some native wear and bribed a guy to change in his covered wagon. Gourry looked quite fetching in a kilt, despite the bright shade of vermillion his face took on when he stepped out of the wagon to show the world his new look. 3

“Excuse, we forgot something at the last inn.”

“Sorry, I think I dropped my bagpipes somewhere down the road.”

“Who wants to take a break for beer and haggis?”

You see, if you blend in well enough the bad guys will never know that you had left.

-Bump-

“Nice try, Inverse.” A regrettably familiar voice, uh, congratulated me I guess.

“Um, thanks? So why do you want to kill me?” I took a defensive stance when confronted with Valgaav.

Up close, the demony thing was very handsome, with a chiseled body to boot. The only thing that marred what he had going in the looks department was his omni present scowl that screamed “Somebody DID pee in my cornflakes!”.

“What did she do?” Gourry came to my defense. He was my guardian you know. “Did she eat your restaurant out of business too?”

“You’d be surprised how often that happens,” Amelia unnecessarily added.

“This is indeed vengeance,” Valgaav growled. “But do NOT put your ridiculous problems on the level as mine! You killed Lord Gaav, and for that I shall kill you!”

“Wha-?” I didn’t have time to protest as Gaav simultaneously blew some nearby refugees out of his line of fire and launched an attack I just barely managed to duck. The explosion caused people to either take cover or scatter. I wish I could’ve joined them . . ..

Oh, great. . .not this again.

I was feeling so good, too. Maybe the lack of fighting, the sheer peacefulness of it all made me forget that once again, there are about a thousand beings that want nothing more than to see me dead. Now this tool as well. This demon who obviously was a minion of the Chaos Dragon Gaav, formally one of the Five Retainers of Shabranigdo. While I suppose we were party to Gaav’s death those two years ago, we did not actually kill him. Hellmaster Phibrizzo saw to that in gruesome fashion. But apparently that doesn’t matter to Valgaav, of course.

Again, it felt as if someone slung on a backpack for of bricks onto my shoulders, the world dimmed to grey. The only thing that still seemed to shine with its usual contrast was Gourry leaping to my aide, blast sword engaging the strange weapon of Valgaav’s.

No, strike that. Gourry wasn’t the only one who wasn’t marred in gray. Valgaav, too, was not only in normal contrast, but a golden light faintly shimmered around his being.

Oh, I get it.

Suddenly more demons appeared from the ether. Zel, Amelia and a few of the braver refugees took up the fight. The demons didn’t seem keen on injuring, much less killing, the refugees. They just conjured up some wind spells to scatter them. Amelia and Zel however, were fighting for their lives, trying desperately to aim around the wayward Zephillians to land an Elemekia Lance or a Rah Tilt. Anything to turn the odds back in our favor.

I was sick of it.

Sick of this depression.

Sick of the never ending fighting.

Sick of Demons.

Sick of Dragons.

But most of all, SICK OF BEING LED AROUND BY MY FREAKING NOSE!

I was going to do something perhaps unforgivable. Gourry would go along with it, I was sure. Zel might understand in time but Amelia may never look at me the same again. But it is the only choice I had to stop this battle without putting everyone’s lives in danger.

But not only that, I know in my gut that this was the only thing for me to do. The only way for me to complete my journey.

The only way for me to live.

“Wait!” I shouted. “Valgaav! Let me join you!”

That plea certainly put the brakes on things. Gourry looked puzzled at my request. Zel slapped his hand to his face. Amelia looked like her eyes where going to fall out of her head.

“You? What?” Valgaav was stunned, to say the least. “What kind of a ploy is this?”

“What kind of ploy indeed?” Milgasia’s voice of all people’s boomed overhead.

I didn’t get a chance to reply, yet again. Valgaav howled in animalistic rage, shoved a dazed looking Gourry out of the way and shot off some powerful looking attack spells at the Golden Dragon. Mil skillfully banked and let loose with some patented Dragon Lord Laser Breath, searing the land were Valgaav once stood.

“High Priest of the Katahto Golden Dragons! Though I feel little but hatred for your kind, I feel obliged to offer you this one chance to join me so that we may put an end to Dolphin’s schemes!”

“Y-you, you were once a dragon, weren’t you?” Mil, startlingly, seemed to be taken aback by what he had sensed.

“Not just any dragon, Priest!” Valgaav snarled. “An Ancient Dragon, as your kind calls us.”

“That’s not possible! The Ancient Dragons are a legend. A tale to show how far we fell away from the Gods!”

“We are only legend because you Golden Dragons made it so! All of us but me!” Val fired another plasma burst.

“What are you talking about!?” Mil shouted, deflecting Val’s attack and retaliating with one of his own which Val parried with his Light Weapon.

Val ignored Mil’s query, “Look! See this fleeing people of Zephillia! A dragon lord who sees only what he wants to. See how the followers of Sylpheed were powerless to help you defend your kingdom as it was taken over by demons!”

Many of the refugees stopped and turned to listen.

“The dragons of Katahto are too weak to save you. But, even though I am part demon, can make you strong! Join me, I will take in anybody who wishes to see their homes free again!”

“Don’t listen to him!” Mil shouted. “The dragons would’ve gladly helped where we greater in number and I regret not being able to help you. You may lose your lives looking for other refuge, but going with him may very well cost you your souls!”

“Didn’t you hear?” someone in the crowd yelled. “Seyruun is practically lost! We have no other place to go!” Similar sentiments were quickly drowning out the noise of Amelia and Zel’s skirmish, as well as that of the few Knights Mil brought with him.

While this was all going on, I kept looking back and forth at Mil and Valgaav. Val was the only one of the two that shone gold. Mil was as gray as the rest of the world, confirming that the choice I made was the right one. At least for now. But how do I convince Valgaav to let me come with him before he takes my head off?

“Lina!” Gourry set off his danger alarm.

I could feel sudden bloodlust as several fellow countrymen and women had surrounded me while I was in my daze. Their motley weapons held high, ready to rain down a world of hurt on yours truly.

But then they all exploded.

Or rather, their head all exploded, misting the air in crimson and grisly chunks of flesh.

Xellos. . .

“I’m almost starting to like becoming your rescuer all of the time, Lini-kins!” Chirped the sociopathic demon.

“Oh, Valgaav!” Xellos called. “I have a proposition for you!”

“Zellas’s lap dog? What do you want?” Valgaav eyed Xellos nervously, I would too, as Xellos is second in power only to the remaining demon lords.

“Well, this is how it will go down; You take Lina and her pet human along with you and I don’t kill your would be subjects.”

“Xellos!” Mil growled, landing a few yards away and transforming himself to his human form. “What do you plan to do with her?”

Zel and Amelia, their fight apparently over, ran to stand by me, Gourry and Xellos. Naga suddenly appeared covered in honey and various things sticking to the honey. To this very day I have no idea where she got it from.

“Lina?” Amelia started. “I might have misheard you in the clamor of battle, but did you say that you wish to join Valgaav?” She had those eyes trained on me. The one’s that said “Please say it isn’t so!” .

“Well, uh, you know. . .-“ I got cut off from my rapidly forming covering glutes tale by Xellos’s rather accurate and incriminating one.

“Oh, you heard right, little princess. Lina has finally figured out that in order to accomplish her goals she has to take some more. . .drastic measures. Like embracing her demonic side!”

“Xellos,” Mil’s voice was flat. “Release her to me, no good can come of her joining with Valgaav.”

“Or else what?” Xellos’s tone went creepy times ten and Mil simply looked away. Xellos could kill Mil faster than the blink of an eye and they both knew it.

“Again see how the followers of Sylpheed are powerless against a demon,” Valgaav stated. “Very well, Xellos. I’ll put aside my grudge for now, but!” He turned to me, coldness was all I saw in those molten metal colored eyes of his. “Lina Inverse, I don’t know your reasons why you want to join me but know this; I will not suffer any trickery on your part. If I get even the slightest hint that you have or are going to betray my cause I will dismember you.”

“Then it’s agreed!” Xellos sang.

“Lina!” Amelia cried. “You can’t do this!”

“It’s the only choice I have, Amelia. Deep inside, I know I can’t be led around by people who only see one side of things. I’m done with Milgasia and his round about and self righteous way of doing things. I know that it goes against everything you believe in but I am joining the winning team. I sick of being hunted by demons, so in order to protect myself and the world’s future I am joining the Mazoku!”

Valgaav let out a low chuckle. Mil grimaced and turned his back to me.

“Gourry say something!” Amelia pleaded, looking like her world was starting to come apart.

“I’m not really sure what is going on, but Lina hasn’t led me wrong yet. I don’t care if she’s falling in with the wrong crowd. That’s what I’m here for, I’ll keep her head on straight.”

Gourry. . .

“Be sure that you do,” Zel darkly said, hurt just barely evident in his voice. “Your walking a very slippery slope, Lina. If you get mired in the mud of evil, we will wash our hands of you.”

The finality and bluntness of Zel’s statement struck harder than I had expected. I felt like I was sucker punched in the soloplexus and I couldn’t breathe. A few tears fell, shed in acknowledgment that I was this may be the last time I would be able to think of Zelgadis Greywords and Amelia Weir Tessla Seyruun as my friends.

“Sting. . .” Naga softly said. I couldn’t be sure through my own tears but I could’ve sworn that even Naga shed a few of her own right then.


Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes.

Bet you didn’t see this one coming! Revisions and edits can come later, but I thought you guys deserved another chapter for putting up with me and my late updates and constant story changes all the time so there.