Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ chapter 24 ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall

Chapter Twenty-Four

“No! No! NO!” I screeched, reaching my daily patience limit within only a couple of hours. I roughly twirled the young man towards the rock pile he was supposed to explode but succeeding in only making me explode. “Visualize! Visualize!”

I was attempting to reteach among the most basic of all attack spells, Flare Arrow, to the bunch of magical dimwits that haven’t quite caught on to this particular spell. Flare Arrow is a fire spell that conjures up to a dozen small flaming spears of light that can be flung towards whatever targets you want. The damage can be fatal if a direct hit is taken, but the spell isn’t terribly accurate and the usually the worst you’ll get is some shrapnel from the explosions when the spell hits all around you. It’s also good for barbequing entire pigs and cows in a wonderful pyrotechnic display to wow your guests.

Most of the thousand or so sorcerers in training I’ve collected three weeks ago had shown little to no trouble in picking up the basics of magic and casting their first lighting spell. But since we didn’t have as much time as we would have in an academic setting, I’ve had to streamline the course quite a bit and have everyone try some basic attack spells the very next day. But, unfortunately, not everyone has learned quite at the same pace.

“B-but, teacher!” The thin young man, Duncan, I believe his name was, whined. “What if I burn myself?”

“What!? You’ve got to be kidding me! Every time you cast a spell, no matter how powerful, a barrier is automatically conjured to protect you from your own clumsiness! There’s not a chance you’ll hurt yourself unless you for some reason turn the spell on yourself! Didn’t I explain this earlier!?”

“Y-yes, b-but-.”

“No “buts”! Imagine those rocks as fearsome trolls that are out to steal your lunch and say derogatory things about your mother! How can you defend yourself if you are afraid to even cast a low level fire spell?”

I pointed to the rocks and shot off a Flare Arrow spell and a dozen flaming projectiles exploded spectacularly, sending sparks and little pieces of granite flying everywhere.

“You didn’t even chant the chaos words . . .,” Duncan said, stunned by that not so impressive feat.

“I’m about a trillion times more experienced than you so it shouldn’t come as any surprise. Chaos words are just there to help you visualize the spell you are casting. Once you’ve become familiar enough with any particular spell you can cast it without chanting anything at all. Though, while you can cast spells without saying the Word of Power, it will not be as powerful.”

Yes, much like a swordsman’s yell when he swings his blade, Words of Power instill confidence and forcefulness into any given spell. No one is really sure why that is, but I tend to think of it as an aspect of willpower, because, spells themselves are basically a combination of your willpower, whatever power you’re tapping from the astral plane and your physical environment. Increase the amount of any of those three things and the more powerful spells you’ll get.

But, unfortunately, the specifics of that theory are just way too advanced for my new protégées.

I glanced over at Valgaav and his goons, Jilas and Gravos, who were sitting on the fence that enclosed the training area. Valgaav was unreadable; his omnipresent scowl plastered on his face could mean anything from mild discomfort to severe hemorrhoids. Gravos and Jilas were laughing at some of my student’s determined but fruitless efforts.

A dangerous thing to do.

“You two got something to say?” I growled, not appreciating even my worst pupil’s efforts made a mockery.

Probably emboldened by Val’s presence, Jilas actually shot one back. “Maybe I should lend your students a few of my bombs! It’ll sure smash those rocks faster than anything they could ever conjure!”

“Oh, yeah? I don’t see you two casting any Dragon Slaves on a regular basis. Unless, of course, you’ve been holding out on us?”

“Who needs magic when you’ve got brawn?” Gravos said derisively.

“I’ve put down goons twice your size with only a well cast Dust Chip.”

“Heh, who cares about you? I’m talking about your class there. How about it, one of them knocks me out with a single spell and we’ll shut up.” Gravos challenged.

“Hmm, considering that I am getting annoyed with the two of you, and you’ve insulted my class, I accept your proposal. Duncan! Show those losers what you real losers can do!”

“Me!?” The boy nearly wet himself in surprise. He probably thought I was going to pick anyone but him. Tough luck, but he can view this as another lesson.

“Come on, Duncan! You can do this! I sense an enormous amount of power in you, just get over your hang ups and let loose!” I really didn’t sense anything that spectacular within the lad; I was just trying to boost his confidence enough for him to actually launch a spell for once.

“But what if I kill him?” Gravos and Jilas started whooping it up at that line and poor Duncan just sheepishly grinned.

“Are you going to let them laugh at you like this!? Where is your backbone?!” I screeched.

“I’m sorry!” Duncan shielded his head with his hands and crouched as if he were under a Val Flare bombardment, further embarrassing me.

“Don’t be sorry! Be bad ass!”

I don’t know if I actually got through to him or the fact that I was yelling at such a furious state but the boy did pick himself back up and begin his incantation, albeit a rather halting and stuttered one.

“Flare Arrow!” He released his spell and four blades of light that looked very much like carrots flew towards Gravos whom stuck out his chest as if he meant to offer no defense at all to the admittedly pathetic attempt at an attack spell. Needless to say, when the relatively little smoke had cleared Gravos was unharmed and smirking.

“Maybe you should stick to just singing instead of teaching.” Gravos laughed.

Oh, that does it!

“Sure! I got a song for ya! It doesn’t rhyme but it ends with a bang!”

Source of all Power,

Light that burns beyond Crimson,

Let thy Power gather in my Hand

“Hey, wait a minute . . ., Gravos was finally getting my joke.

“Fireball!”

I only shot the spell at the moron’s feet so that while he would go flying a ways, it shouldn’t kill him. And fly he did . . .again, for probably the twelfth time this month. Once the smoke cleared I could see an unharmed Val still sitting on the burning fence, rolling his eyes. A slightly singed looking Jilas cowardly peeked from behind his master.

“One of these days you’ll have to teach your goons to grow a brain cell or two!” I yelled at the draco demon.

“They have their uses, ones that they accomplish a lot better when not recovering from injuries they receive from you.” While Val’s facial expression stayed a neutral grimace, the guy has actually been in a better mood as of late. He can see his army coming together, his plans coming to fruition. Hell, he’s even laid off enough on the death threats that even I had to wonder if he was on medication or something.

As long as he isn’t on Amelia’s meds, I’ll be happy.

“Tell them to lay off my students and maybe I wouldn’t trash them so often.”

“Think of it as extra motivation for them.” And with that he set off towards his citadel, leaving me grinding my teeth as Jilas looked back and stuck out his tongue in a rude gesture.

“I’m sorry, teacher . . .,” Duncan whimpered.

“For what? You finally cast a Flare Arrow!”

“But it didn’t do anything.”

“That’s not the point! You actually broke through your self-imposed barriers and cast an attack spell! Didn’t you feel elated? Like this is the coolest thing that you’ve ever done?”

“Yes, but-!”

“No buts! Focus on that feeling, keep practicing that spell until you can at least put a crack in that granite slab over there. Once you do, no other spell will ever cause this much difficulty for you again! Understand me?”

Duncan furrowed his brow and his lips became a thin line. “Right, teacher! Next time, I’ll knock the brute off his feet!”

“That’s the spirit! Now get to it! I don’t want to see you leave this spot until dinner time!”

“Yes!”

I left him and the rest of the students to practice on their own. I wasn’t worried about them getting hurt, I’ve drilled the idea that standing in front of a casting mage is a very bad idea from day one, so I was sure that no one would do anything stupid in my absence.

I headed over to the Martial Arts and Weaponry training field where Gourry was instructing the bulk of Val’s army. I haven’t seen the blonde bruiser much this past week. We’ve both been so busy with our respective classes that the only time we’ve had for each other has been when we went home for the night collapsing into bed or during our meal breaks in the mess hall. Even then we couldn’t talk much while we stuffed our faces or slept like logs.

I stood off to the side and watched three swordsmen instruct their charges, numbering nearly three thousand for this group alone. Because of the number of able bodied men and women, Gourry had to divide his trainees into several groups based on skill level and had a single swordsman teach a single group of a level less than that of his own while Gourry went through some slightly more advanced stuff with one of the groups towards the end of their lessons.

Gourry and two assistance where showing his group of students a moderately difficult parry and attack routine, their yells punctuating every step and swing of the blade.

I recognized the older assistant as the middle-aged warrior who guarded the food and supply wagon during our journey though he now wielded a claymore instead of a war hammer. He easily kept pace with Gourry in this exercise, his group of trainees thoroughly absorbed in the perfectly executed movements of the obviously skilled and seasoned soldier.

The other assistant looked very familiar but I couldn’t place his face. He was of medium build and stature and wielded his weapon almost as skillfully as Gourry and the soldier. I kept getting the impression that if it weren’t for the man’s full auburn beard I would’ve recognized him instantly.

I ignored that nagging feeling and simply watched Gourry go through his routine with sheer perfection. I’ve said it before and I will say it again; I had never seen any unmagcally-enhanced swordsman defeat Gourry. Shoot, he’s taken on demons and won before. Nobody I’d ever met had taken his craft to a level that I respect as much as the level I’ve taken mine. Though I suspect that a very large part of Gourry’s memory is jammed packed full of nothing but swordplay strategies and moves that hardly anything else sticks, it is a genuine wonder the man remembers what color the sky is.

Watching him move with such grace and confidence, like nothing in the world that can wield a blade could possibly touch him, it made me all the more happy that he was mine and only mine.

I sat there, so hypnotized by his martial dance that I was surprised to hear him call for the lesson’s end. He and his two assistance sheathed their weapons as the students made to the stream to wash off their sweat and grime and I walked over to Gourry.

“Hey, Lina,” Gourry beamed and my heart melted. I’m so used to being together all of the time, even a week with hardly seeing him seemed like a lifetime. “Done with your sorcery class already?”

“They are getting to the point were they can practice spells without my supervision.” I wrapped him in a hug and kissed him, ignoring the sweat on his lips and the stink of body odor. “Your warriors seem to be shaping up nicely.”

“Only because of my fellow instructors, without them I would never have gotten this far along.”

He gestured to the two men, “The older man is Regald, he used to train young men for there coming of age journey in Zephillia.”

Regald took a bow and I took his hand. “I figured you were a skilled fighter but training Zephillia’s youth to hunt down monsters takes another type of warrior altogether. I’m Lina Inverse, as you probably gathered during my impromptu concert not so long ago.”

“Not that great a warrior but thank you all the same. A pleasure to meet Zephillia’s most famous daughter.” He studied me for a moment, a wistful smile forming on his slightly craggy features. “You really do have your father’s face.”

“You knew my father?” I was genuinely surprised. I didn’t remember the man ever being with my dad, but then again, dad was gone for long stretches at a time, maybe Regald was someone he met on his travels.

“Quite well, but we can talk another time, I’m exhausted for today and I believe this young man wants to introduce himself.” Regald excused himself, headed towards the stream, leaving a trail of questions in his wake.

I turned to meet the other assistant who was grinning with just a hint of lament in his eyes.

“You know,” he began, his voice just on the cusp of whining. “Last time we parted I said if I hung out with you two for much longer it would be the end of me.”

That voice!

“Lantz!” I playfully slugged his shoulder. “It’s been ages! What are you doing here? How have you been?”

Gourry and I had met Lantz a few years back, right after defeating the first shard of Shabranigdo. We were in Atlas City and Lantz was part of a Sorcerer’s Guild associate’s retinue of bodyguards that we joined up with. After that fiasco he helped out in defeating the Copy of the Red Priest Rezo, Lantz even defeating the demon Vizea with the Blessed Blade. We parted ways shortly after.

At first, me and him got off to a rough start with me throwing his ass groin first into a corner of a wall in a bar after he tried to grab my butt, though we eventually made up. On the other hand, he practically worshiped Gourry and his phenomenal swordsmanship as soon as they met, going as far as calling him his “Big Bro”.

“Oh, you know, taking work and women were I could find them, living the good life. That is, until the whole craziness with demons and monsters ransacking entire countries! Eventually I found myself being solicited by some freak with a horn sticking out of his forehead. He offered to pay well and the next thing I knew I was here, helping train an army with Big Bro, here.

“How about you two? Me and Gourry haven’t had much time to catch up due to whipping these numbskulls into fighting shape takes up most of the day.”

“Yeah, tell me about it,” I laughed. “You know, same old, same old. Just getting mixed up in some ridiculous world ending schemes and kicking demon ass is all.” I did not want to bring down the mood by explaining what had really been going on with me these last few months.

“Same as usual indeed!” Lantz laughed. “Listen, I’m gonna go clean up now, meet me in the mess hall in an hour, it’ll be like old times! Only with less running for our lives and more drinking!”

Poor Lantz, he has no idea what is really going on, as usual . . .

“Reunions are always nice, aren’t they?” A smug and familiar voice chirped.

“Hey, Xellos,” I greeted, not letting his surprise appearance dampen my mood so soon after running into Lantz. I also ignored the fact that the priest was lounging in a lawn chair sipping ice tea with a little umbrella sticking out the glass. He knows just how to annoy me. “What news from Wolfpack Island?”

“A very good guess, Ms. Lina! In fact I do have a bit of news and a bit of advice from Lady Beastmaster.” He cleared his throat and unrolled a very long piece of parchment that I’m sure he didn’t need. “First order of business; Lady Beastmaster has discovered an enemy stronghold of extreme significance and would like your help, Ms. Lina and Mr. Gourry, in eliminating it.”

“Well, ok, but I kinda swore my fealty to good ol’ Val just a few weeks ago if you remember.”

“Yes, he is a charming fellow isn’t he? But you needn’t worry about Valgaav not allowing your involvement; once he learns of the strongholds purpose he’ll probably be itching to go himself. Anyways, second item of business!

“Lady Beastmaster says to “Hurry the Nine Hells up and get your full range of Knightmare abilities before I get much more annoyed with your dithering about.”.

“Uh huh, I’ll talk to Valgaav about it. Most of my students are doing well enough to begin self study so I don’t think it’ll be much of a problem, how about your group Gourry?”

“Well, they aren’t exactly elite yet, but they are getting better all the time.”

“So what’s the third item?” I asked.

“Oh, that’s it.” Xellos answered as he began to roll up his scroll.

“What? Then where is the enemy’s base? What is it used for?”

“As of for now, now don’t spoil this for me Mr. Gourry, those pieces of information are . . .classified!” And with that simultaneously surprising and not so surprising response, the priest vanished, leaving me flabberahensive, which is a combination of being flabbergasted and apprehensive.

“Wha-?”

“That Xellos, he’s a busy guy . . .,” Gourry said staring at the spot the demon disappeared.

“Yeah he must not have much free time in-between annoying us mortals and doing . . .whatever us that Xellos does.”

“Do you think Valgaav will really let us just go like that?”

“I dunno, let’s ask him.” I cupped my hands to my mouth and kinda sorta shouted. “Hey, Val! I know you’ve been eavesdropping on us! So what do you think?” I couldn’t imagine Valgaav NOT having the gall to spy on me. He seemed like the possessive type that would freak out if anything were taken from him. Probably due to his losing everything once before.

I suddenly sensed the ancient dragon’s presence as he withdrew from the astral plane and appeared right in front of me.

“I was hoping to see whether or not you would have gone off without telling me. You are full of surprises Lina Inverse.” The demon grinned.

“So you are cool with it?” I ventured.

“Conditionally. You are still under my service until I release you.”

Yes yes, keep reminding me of that ya prick . . .

“Shoot.”

“I would have you go rescue some golden dragons who are being held captive not far from here. They are being held by some minions of Riksfalto, why they didn’t just kill them is beyond me but this presents us with an opportunity I can’t pass up.”

“You’re thinking that by saving the dragons then they’ll join your cause.”

Our cause, Lina Inverse. But yes, that is what I am hoping for.”

“What if they don’t agree to join you?”

“Kill them.”

“You’re kidding me!” No, he more than likely wasn’t kidding. I remember the searing hate that was directed at Milgasia when the two confronted each other. His thought process was probably the same with the dragons as it was with me: He figures that by controlling objects of his hate he can exact the same amount if not more vengeance as by simply killing them off.

“You should know by now that I never kid, Inverse.”

“But killing potential allies . . .,”

“If they don’t serve me out of gratitude at the very least then what chance is there that they will join me in the future? They will join us, or they will die. And you will do this for me, little sorceress or I will kill you. Form a strike team by tomorrow morning. I will show you the location then.”

Val stalked away, not even bothering to listen to my sputtering protests.

“Great, now what?” Gourry muttered. “You know, that guy is really starting to get on my nerves.”

“That is what demons do best. Get under your skin and make you do things you would never normally do. How are we going to get out of this one, Gourry?”

The gentle swordsman put a comforting hand on my shoulder. “We’ll think of something, Lina. We always do . . . eventually.”

“I wonder if it’ll be too late by then, though.” I couldn’t help but think of Zel’s parting words last we saw him. You are climbing a very slippery slope, Lina. If you mire yourself in the mud of evil, we will wash our hands of you.

I needed to come up with something that would prevent me from doing something unforgivable and also prevent me from dying in a useless fashion.

I obviously couldn’t comply with Valgaav’s orders. Sure I don’t particularly like Golden Dragons, one especially and would love to see them brought down a notch or two. But I would never stoop so low as to condone wholesale slaughter. Especially when I’m the one being asked to do it! I have to think of a way to look like I did what I was told but without the actual killing.

Problem is its impossible to plan without details like where and how are the dragons being held, how many baddies are guarding them and what kind of enemies are they? Demons? Monsters? Chimeras? I couldn’t do anything without knowing those very vital pieces of information.

“Damn Valgaav. He’s keeping us in the dark so that we can’t plan around his demands!”

“Come on, Lina, it isn’t that bad. You forget that improv is our strongest ability.”

“I’m starting to fear that that may be our only real weapon against our newfound ally,” I sighed, my good mood, yet again, totally defiled, murdered and then buried off the side of a little used road. “But I also think that it won’t be enough in the end.”



Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes!

Well, the plot is finally moving again! Soon my friends . . .very soon, Lina will finally go to the Vale of Shadows! What kinda SUPER DUPER eldritch abilities will the red headed sorceress come to possess!?
But before that! How will Lina save the Golden Dragons without incurring the wrath of Valgaav the Ornery? Who will be in the Super Secret Dragon Rescue Strike Team of Kick Assery?
Find out next time in Slayers: Knightfall!