Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ chapter 26 ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall

Chapter Twenty-Six

“Where are the Golden Dragons?” I repeated Valgaav’s infuriatingly valid query to stall for time. The both of us very much wanted to know the answer to that right then and there. I had a very good idea where they weren’t though . . . Namely, here with me, preventing Val from having an excuse to kill me.

My eyes kept wandering to the lit hilt of Valgaav’s blade, the Ragud Mezzigedus, wandering if I would be staring down the wrong end of that weapon in the very near future. I was facing north, towards the still erupting volcano in the not so distant mountains. The northern sky was blackening, casting a grim overcast where Val stood which made for oddly appropriate scenery.

If I could just make those annoying birds stop chirping, it’d be perfect. Perfectly dreary that is.

“Oh, spare me your drivel,” Val snapped, blowing threw my well-laid verbal barrier. “Tell me where they are? Is that so difficult? I know that you freed them and I know you spoke with them. So where are they?”

“They are gone,” I spoke the truth. Valgaav respected me being ballsy in the past, so I really hoped it would work now. “They left in my sleep.”

“Humph,” Valgaav smirked, he was probably waiting for this very moment since the day I came into his service. “To think the end of the great and terrible Lina Inverse would come due to her sleeping on the job.”

“Her end is farther off than you think,” Reg boldly spoke, hefting his war hammer.

“But I can see it right here though,” Gourry said, gesturing towards my rear, possibly the last bit of embarrassment I’ll suffer because of him.

“So can I!” Lantz smirked, instantly earning him a chokehold later, assuming we all survived the approaching Hurricane Valgaav.

All men are pigs . . .

“I never was a fan of pre battle exposition,” Val stated and immediately a ball of energy was zooming towards me.

I had anticipated Val’s lack of respect for the art of stalling and had silently cast a barrier. But I doubted that flimsy piece of magic would do much against something as powerful as Valgaav; So, I did what I usually do when faced with overwhelming firepower. I dodge and jump around like a spasmodic monkey on crack.

“Yes! Dodge and jump around like a spasmodic monkey on crack!” Val mocked me and proved my visual description at the same time. “You are just prolonging your inevitable death!”

Regald somehow got around Val’s barrage and was sneaking up behind him. Val’s eyes seemed to briefly glance over his shoulder and I knew Reg’s sneak attack was doomed. The middle aged warrior swung his magical hammer for all he was worth, hoping to end the fight with one blow. But Val simultaneously launched a series of help preventative plasma balls and swung back and up with his Light Weapon, blocking Reg’s blow and seriously gouging it.

It was both a testament to the powerful enchantment on Reg’s War Hammer and to Val’s obviously supernatural fighting ability. A normal, plain steel weapon would’ve bisected with no hesitation when hit by something like Val’s Ragud Mezzigedus.

Reg jumped back, getting out of range of a counter swing from Val, I took the opportunity to attack with a spell.

“Zellas Brid!” One of the only Black Magic spells I could use anymore, as Dynast, Phibrizzo, and Gaav were dead and Valgaav and Deep Sea would not lend me their power. I was down to Ruby Eye, simply because he was in no position to block my spells and Zellas Metallium the Beast Master as she seemed to be more or less on my side, though I had really no idea why.

I wonder if I could tap Xellos’s power? Something to look into later . . .

My spell zoomed towards Valgaav, swerving, looping to my will, trying to keep the draco demon from anticipating when and were it would hit. Of course the demon just glared at the spell with an expression somewhere between amusement and contempt. I made my spell loop and spin around him, to which he just stood still as if saying “Bring it on”. I heard clanging metal and the sounds of struggle from behind me, as well as the voices of Jilas and Gravos.

Valgaav had brought his friends. I pretended to be distracted and suddenly directed my spell directly into Val’s chiseled torso.

I was rewarded with a drizzle of red lizard blood and Val’s bemused smile.

“Not bad,” Val congratulated. “Now its your turn to bleed.”

Ragud Mezzigedus dual blades verily spewed energy, scorching the ground and filling the air with the scent of ozone. I didn’t have a weapon to counter Val’s. Regald’s war hammer could probably only withstand one more hit, maybe two. Gourry and Lantz were fighting off a pair of demons judging by the thick miasma as well as the two whining goons.

But there was still one option left open for me, but I would only get one chance and there was a likely possibility it would wildly backfire.

. . . Not that I’ve ever let that stop me in the past . . .

You, who is Part of the Lord of Dreams that Terrify;

You, who is finally released into this world;

A Freezing Black Blade of Darkness;

Be my power, be my arm.

Together we shall walk the path of destruction.

To rend even the souls of the gods!

“Ragna Blade!” Like the incantation promised, a blade of pure nothingness extended from my palms. But, Lina, you ask? Why did you even have to chant the chaos words to a spell you should be able to conjure naturally? To be honest, I still wasn’t entirely sure how to conjure the Ragna Blade instantaneously just yet. Sure I could form little balls of nothingness and the occasional bigger orb. But I’ve learned from experience that in order to use my Knightmare powers to a greater extent I had to allow myself to slip into Knightmare mode. That tires me out way to fast to be particularly useful, especially against something as powerful as Valgaav. But it is still my final, final option if worse comes to worse.

Our blades swung towards an inevitable collision, my mind furiously compiling the many possibilities that could result from combining Light with Darkness but was praying for just one of them. When I first defeated Ruby Eye, I channeled the Giga Slave into the Sword of Light, amplifying the spell just enough to actually mortally wound the demon. I was hoping for a similar reaction only on a much grander scale.

Valgaav, you are a total asshole and probably irreparably insane, but I now realize that the Golden Dragons are completely capable of doing what you said to your lost race. I don’t want to see you dead just yet but at the same time I can’t allow this fight to go on any longer!

I hope this doesn’t kill us all . . .

The two magical blades finally hit, light and shadow spat like pressurized flames and plasma that furiously and dangerously intermingled. Immediately I felt my energy being sapped at an alarming rate, and I could hope the same thing was happening to Val.

This was a complete and total battle of wills. One bent totally on destruction, Val. The other’s only and all encompassing wish was to survive, myself. We were completely equal in terms of sheer power as far as I could tell, though Val had a thousand years to learn how to use it. I, on the other hand, had only the willpower beyond that of anybody I knew.

We each pushed, uncompromising, unyielding to the others power. I could feel his hatred radiating like the heat from a closer than what is considered to be comfortable fireball.

Dimly I could hear the crackle of the conflicting energies and the strong scent of ozone and smoke. I could hear my name being called, repeatedly and with more than a ting of desperation.

Gourry.

Due to that fraction of a second’s distraction the light was beginning to inch towards my Ragna Blade so I pushed every fiber of my being into it, and soon I could sense the two powers beginning to equalize again. I had to keep it like that as long as I could. But, I almost forgot about the difference in physical reserves dragons had over humans. I might’ve closed the gap for now but it wouldn’t be long before Val decides to put everything he had into the Light Weapon.

More stamina than me or not, he still isn’t as powerful of any of the shards of Shabranigdo. I can still make this work! Though I’m probably going to be pretty useless by the end of all this. Let’s just hope Val ends up just as bad off as I’m probably going to be.

I couldn’t let anything distract me now, I could still hear Gourry and the others calling my name, encouraging me or begging me to stop, I couldn’t really tell which. I decided to concentrate on them, my lover and friends, letting thoughts of them give me the strength and resolve to push beyond what I thought was possible for me.

I thought of Lantz, always fearful, but always finding the courage to due what he has to.

The darkness grew a little.

Regald, his honor worth more than life itself, trying to fulfill one last service to his departed friend.

The darkness grew a little more.

Zelgadis, the tormented chimera, never losing sight of his goal and never compromising his dignity.

The darkness now obscured the light.

Amelia, the princess who held justice and friendship dearer to her heart than no other.

The darkness grew to consume the light entirely.

Valgaav let out a mighty roar; light puncturing and streaming from the encompassing blade of nihility.

I finally thought of Gourry, the one I chose to spend the rest of my life with. The simple, kindhearted swordsman who has been my constant protector, companion, co-conspirator and best friend since I’ve met him. Now my lover, and only real family left to me, as I fear the ties between myself and Amelia and Zel are forever frayed beyond holding anything more than a tenuous bond. I thought of the life we will have after everything is said and done. I thought of the child that I knew was in the immediate future. And right then I knew. I knew I would not lose against Valgaav, one who lost everything and only seeks to gain for vengeance.

No, he couldn’t possibly win against me, the one who has everything that is truly important in this world to gain!

The black blade erupted, obliterating the light spawned from darkness through darkness spawned from the truest light found only in the purest of desires. The desires that come not out of selfishness but born out of true selflessness and love.

I finally realized what was truly important that day . . .and the power it brings with it.



I don’t know how long I was out, but when I did come to, I was extremely pleased, as we all should be, to realize that I was very much alive.

I still felt like a dried up dust bunny next to a bonfire in the middle of a desert.

“You’re awake!” Gourry almost screeched, making me grin at his seemingly sudden lack of testosterone.

“Y-yeah,” I croaked, forcing a weak smile. “What did ya expect?” A bit of hair drifted in front of my eyes and I managed to raise my rubbery and tingly feeling arms to brush it back. But when I did, I saw that my hair was stark white. I glanced down and found that I was in a bright purple lawn chair of mysterious origin. Eh, I was too tired to sweat the small stuff.

“Hadn’t seen you with that look in a while,” Gourry laughed, playfully ruffling my hair. He was happy that I alive, that was obvious. I was glad for that but I had to know what happened before I blacked out.

“It was amazing, Lina.” Lantz said, eying me with the most respect I’d ever seen come out of the man. “I thought the whole world was about to be torn apart . . ..”

“Amazing, indeed,” another, very weak sounding voice agreed. It took me a second to realize that it was in fact, Valgaav. I painfully turned my head to the right to see Val sitting against a tree, looking as weak and frail as I’d ever seen any demon that wasn’t flat out destroyed. Jilas and Gravos were by his side, looking not sure whether to help support him or try to finish me off. I wondered what was stopping them.

The pair looked pretty bedraggled. Gourry and the others weren’t looking that well off either, probably a result of the discharge between the two blades.

“Amazing that you actually managed to get the better of me in a one on one duel,” he continued, his voice almost painfully rueful. He probably thought he was robbed of his one, actually doable chance of revenging Gaav.

“Don’t be so surprised,” Reg scolded, looking up from inspecting the damage down to his war hammer. “Lina fought with something other than hate. Something you could never understand and with a power that you could never wield.”

“It was us,” Gourry said, surprisingly astute. “Even though we weren’t doing anything physically, I felt as though I was still helping in some way. If that makes any sense.” He squeezed my hand and if I could find the strength then, I would’ve squeezed back.

“Hmph,” Val weakly grunted but I could almost detect a crack in the hatred that was willfully the core of his being. He was once a normal dragon; I wondered if he was remembering what it was like to have real friends and not just minions. Something you actually cared about more than life itself.

What I thought was a dog suddenly wondered into view and I wondered were the heck that came from. After refocusing my eyes a few times I saw that it was actually a wolf. Probably the most gorgeous specimen I had even seen of the species.

I started to wondered why no one else seemed that impressed with it, I mean its not every day you see something as skittish towards people as a wolf wander into a gathering of people. Valgaav, though, eyed the beast with pure and abject suspicion.

Then the wolf spoke, pretty much freaking me out and lending me the strength to crush Gourry’s knuckles.

“Well, I hope that all this time wasting rubbish is out of your systems, because we have a lot of work to do.” I then had a very good idea of whom I was dealing with then, and was rather surprised that she didn’t send her annoying Priest.

So that’s where the chair came from . . .and why no one is surprised to see her. She must’ve come after the duel.

“Beast Master Zellas,” I greeted. “Long time no see.”

“Have we met her before?” Gourry asked.

I squeezed just a bit harder on Gourry’s already bruised hands, prompting a grimace. “We met her not that long ago, remember? In the Miasma Forest? Zellas and Deep Sea came out to meet us in person in order to offer Shabranigdo’s personal invitation to fight him one last time.”

“I remember two chicks but no dog.” I had to admit I was puzzled by Zellas’s current form.
“Oh, never mind him,” I wanted to hear what the demon lord had to say; Gourry could ask his multitude of questions later. “So, what’s been going on in Wolf Pack Island?”

“Nothing I really want to discuss but I will tell you this; you are immediately to go to the Vale of Shadows. We have no time to waste, don’t worry, I will heal you.” She looked around for a moment, looking a bit impatient and annoyed. “Come on out already, Bob! Don’t make me have Xellos lecture you on the importance of being overly too earnest again!”

Oh, don’t tell me!?

“Yes, Ma’am!” An unnerved yet still chirpy voice rang from behind us within the tree line. Sure enough, the Mysterious Merchant came sauntering out in front of us, dragging his large merchant handcart with surprising ease. But maybe not so surprising considering that he is obviously a demon, probably created by Zellas herself.

“Don’t you have something that’ll get those two on their feet again?”

“What a minute? The two of them?” Lantz less asked so much as shrilly yelled.

“As much as Val is a renegade, he hates Ruby Eye as much as I do. I suppose that makes me just as much as one as he.” The wolf answered, leaving me full of all kinds of questions relating to current state of demon-dom. I recall Xellos hinting at a demonic civil war but would, could even a Demon Lord turn against her creator? Gaav was able to turn against Shabby simply because he was trapped inside of a human body.

“We need his power,” I said, completely agreeing with the Super Mutt. “That’s why I cast the Ragna Blade the way that I did, to drain Val, not kill him.” Now Lantz and Regald were eying me a bit suspiciously. “Val is an asshole. A psychotic, bi-polar, depressing asshole, but he wants to rid the world of Ruby Eye as much as anyone. I knew it was a risk, but I couldn’t kill him and lose such a valuable asset.”

“You’re speaking as if you have power over me, instead of the other way around.” Val snarled.

Zellas stirred, the fur on her back stiffening. “I don’t think you have any claim over her anymore, Valgaav. Lina could’ve destroyed you, but instead made sure the fight came to a draw. I’m sure that at least the dragon half of you appreciates still being able to draw breath. Forget about your petty revenge; forget about Gaav. Join with Lina and I, and any the many others who are willing to put aside their differences to fight and conquer Ruby Eye.”

“Isn’t that what you promised everyone who joined you?” Reg stated more than asked. “Or was it all just a front for you to get your revenge?”

I don’t know if it was because Val was too injured and weak or what but he looked on the verge of a nervous breakdown at that point.

“I- I forgot how to live without hate! That’s my gift! And my curse! A gift because it gives me a reason to go on! And a curse because everything seems so empty in comparison.” Jilas and Gravos were speechless at that stunning remark. The little fox man’s one good eye seemed about ready to bulge out of its socket while the bulky lizard mouth just hung open, drawing a fair amount of flies . . .

“Then find something to replace it,” I gently spoke, seizing this opportunity to find a way to not only save Val but to ensure he never tries to kill me again. “During our fight, I was fighting for sheer survival, much like you did during your early days. Heck you still are in a sense. You are struggling to survive with an emotion that doesn’t really lend itself that well to it.

“But, when I overpowered you, it wasn’t that my own sense of survival was that much greater than yours, it was because I wanted to survive for different reasons than yours. I saw the future. I saw my friends, a family, things I knew I couldn’t have if I died then and there. You are surviving simply for the sake of your past, of what was done to you in the past. Things you can never change, no matter how hard you hold onto your hatred. It’ll get you nowhere in the end.”

“I’m starting to get a little nauseous,” Zellas murmured.

Valgaav, on the other hand said nothing. His face was an expression of nothingness; the only sign that he was alive was his slowly rising chest. After a moment he started to laugh, in a self-depreciating tone.

“You seem to forget, Lina Inverse, that I am half demon. A full half of myself is devoted to pure hate and malice. I don’t believe I can do any of those things you so annoyingly and unappreciatively preached to me. It was my choice to become a demon. My choice to devote myself to vengeance.”

He sighed, looking both frustrated and resigned. “But I will agree with you on one point. I will back away from revenge, for now. There are more important and immediate things to worry about.” He sent a slightly bone chilling grin my way, but I got the impression he didn’t totally mean it. “I will devote my energies solely to the eradication of Ruby Eye. After that, well, that’s anyone’s guess.”

“Looking forward to it,” I replied with a cold grin of my own.

Seemingly satisfied, Zellas arched a doggie eyebrow towards Bob.

Bob reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a pair of familiar looking yellow pills. They were the very same lozenges that Mil gave us not that long ago. They wouldn’t do much for hunger but will immediately restore your energy.

I guess she wasn’t kidding that we were to leave immediately. We each took one and sure enough, as advertised, Val and I were on our feet, ready to take on the world and a very nasty Dark Lord that was 2/7ths gone.

“Super, now you can get going,” Zellas droned, getting even more impatient.

“Wait? The both of us?” I asked, not quite sure that Val and I were completely ready to kiss and make up.

“No, of course not,” the demon wolf explained. “Val will simply be your transport, after that task is done we’ll have him join his army with the main forces.”

“You assume that I will do all of this willingly.” Val said.

“Think of it this way, the sooner we get rid of Ruby Eye, the sooner you can go about doing, well, that’s “anybodies guess.”.”

“Very well,” Val accented. “How many am I taking?”

“I think that just Lina and Gourry will suffice. Regald and Lantz can come back with me and Bob to help better prepare the coming assault.”

“What assault?” I asked.

“Now, that for now, is a secret! You’ve got better things to worry about, like getting the Shard of Lucidia, as you people call it, and gaining the full scope of your Knightmare abilities.”

“Fair enough, but I expect a full explanation when we get back!”

“Oh, you will and then some,” Zellas placated. “I expect to see you at the very forefront of coming events.”

“You guys ready? Or are you going to babble on all day?” Val grumped.

“Yeah, yeah, we’re coming!” I yelled.

“Well,” Lantz said, looking a bit apprehensive at the prospect of traveling with two full-blown demons. “Looks like this is goodbye for now. I regret not being able to go with you, but I think I won’t be of much help to you two were you are going.”

“True,” Zellas affirmed. “The only dangers in the Vale are ones that affect the mind. But you’ve got will power beyond that of any human. You’ll be fine, Lina. Probably.”

“I’d be more reassured if you had left out the “probably”.” I snorted.

“Yes, but I’m a bit peckish,” Zellas grinned.

Hoo boy.

“Alright then, time to finally do what my sister sent me off to do all those months ago.” I took Reg’s hand and looked him in the eye. “I will come back, just don’t do anything stupid that would compromise your promise to me, right?”

“Wouldn’t think of it. I’m more worried about you than any impending battles with Zanaffar armored nasties. Remember that you are an Inverse. You can do anything, possible or not, through sheer stubbornness. Just never give up. I’ll be expecting you soon, and I’ll have all the stories of mine and your father's adventures!”

“Thank you, I look forward to it.” I released Reg’s hand and turned towards Lantz, who was looking positively ill as Zellas rubbed up against his leg in a suitably canine fashion. Which was probably the reaction Zellas was looking for. “Well, Lantz . . .don’t piss yourself when were gone!”

“Fare well to you too! Ya bitch . . .,” Lantz mumbled, face turning beet red.

“Take care guys, we’ll bring you a souvenir or something!” Gourry promised, probably not realizing that, if it had one, the Vale of Shadows tourist bureau was long out of business.

Farewells completed we walked up to Val who was pretending to be asleep standing up complete with exaggerated snoring sounds.

Jackass.

“Wakey wakey,” I sang.

“Holy crap . . .,” Val pantomimed being startled awake. “When was the last time I saw you?”

“Ha ha, leave the jokes to me ya goon. Let’s just get this over with.”

“Agreed. The sooner I’m rid of you the better.” And with that statement that could be taken more ways than one, Val roughly grabbed one of Gourry's and my arms and was instantly whisked away into the land of crazy called the Astral Plane. Though, at the end of the journey, when we arrive at the Vale of Shadows at long last, I had the feeling that I would danger that paled in comparison to anything that dwelled within the ether.



Tom the Might’s Mighty Notes.


Eh, last paragraph needs work. But, at least we are finally getting to the Vale of Shadows! After 3 years, I’m finally at the point in my story were I feel that things are really starting to pick up again! What dangers await Lina and Gourry in the Vale? Dinosaurs? Ents? A lost tribe with blow darts and a healthy sense of xenophobia? Xellos in a bikini? Only time will tell.

I can tell you safely that a tap dancing Pokota will not be hiding in the Vale.

Til next time!

And, good or bad, I like reviews! If they are signed reviews I usually respond to them!