Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers-Quest ❯ The Knight of the Mother - Another Day Another Temple ( Chapter 15 )

[ A - All Readers ]




The Knight of the Mother -



The Knight of the Mother -
Another day another temple

Lina stopped inside the entrance to the temple, Melee and Xellos standing quietly behind her as she took in her surroundings. "Just your standard ruined temple," she thought to herself. "Grey stone - check, forbidding darkness - check, assorted herbage and moss - check, four armed monster - FIREBALL -taken care of - check."

"I wish these scenarios didn't look like they were made up in the mind of a 15 yr. old boy," Lina complained to her companions.

"Lina, come now, if a fifteen year old boy had written this up, you'd be dressed up in a battle bikini and fighting a tentacle monster," Xellos commented. "Oops, too late; there's the tentacle monster. May I have the honour?"

"Go for it, Xellos," Lina answered.

As the smoke cleared from the removal of the tentacle monster, Lina took a step back in shock; there in front of her was her sister flanked by three golden dragon elders. About to run away in fear, Lina felt a hand on each shoulder, a small one and a larger one. Taking comfort in their presence she straightened and tried to stop her knees from shaking.

"Hello, Luna. How are you today?" Lina asked trying to gather her wits.

"Cut the small talk, little sis. I want you to stop what you're doing. Now. You can turn around, forget this place, and go home and wait for me like a good little girl. You shouldn't be getting mixed up in this."

"Don't like the thought of your little sister out ranking you do you, Luna? You know you've really got to work on that arrogant streak you have there," Melee interrupted.

"You!" Luna snarled. "Keep out of this."

"I really can't," continued Melee. "The Mother is not pleased with your actions. You know I am empowered to force Cephied to find another Knight."

"You wouldn't dare. The Mother of All has sworn to be neutral in the war between Dragons and Monsters."

"She may have, but I have not," Melee responded.

"Nor I," Xellos added.

"No, Xellos, continue on with Lina; the sword must be found. I will take care of this, my last battle before I join the Mother." Melee giggled and kissed Xellos full on the mouth. "I will miss embarrassing you youngsters though."

"Melee..." Xellos' voice thickened with grief.

"Go child, there is more than one world depending on the outcome." Melee patted Xellos' cheek gently. "Go. Now."

Xellos took a step forward, wrapped his arms around Lina and teleported away while blinking away the strange moisture that had accumulated in his eyes.


"What are you doing, you idiot? We have to stay and help Melee." Lina turned on Xellos angrily and grabbed him in a headlock. "Take me back now," she demanded as she tried to orient herself.

"Lina, Lina no. This is what she wants, the sword is more important than you can imagine."

"The sword? We don't have time to waste on finding; it we have to get back to Melee," Lina shouted.

"It is in this room; if you close your eyes and concentrate you should be able to feel it," Xellos informed Lina, then a shudder went though his body as he expanded his own senses outward. Outside he felt Zelas and another monster lord. He wondered whom Zelas had convinced to come, Dynast or Deep Sea Dolphin. Probably Deep Sea from the games they were playing with Zelgadis and Gourry; hopefully trying to seduce those two would keep them occupied long enough for them to finish here.

"I feel it, there." Lina walked toward the farthest wall, her eyes still closed. "It knows me, Xel." A glowing spot appeared on the wall. "It wants me, it's so lonely." Lina's hand stretched out as the glow detached itself from the wall and touched her fingers. As she touched the glowing ball, Lina felt the loneliness of a consciousness that has been alone since the world's beginning. She fell to the floor weeping as the sadness turned to joy.

"Well met, friend," a voice gently whispered into her mind. "As you have chosen me so I choose you on behalf of the Mother of All. I am now part of you as you are part of me. I am your connection to The Mother and the conduit for Her power, Her mind. I will explain your mission later, though."

"Woah, mission, what mission?" Lina stuttered.

"In the fullness of time, you have a few friends to rescue."

"Lina, are you okay?" Xellos asked anxiously. When Lina's hand began to glow and then cry and laugh was bad enough, but it was really disturbing to watch her talk to her glowing hand.

"Fine, Xellos, don't we have some business to take care of?" Lina grabbed his hand and smiled. "Hurry it up. We have to go."

"Reduced to a method of transportation," Xellos grumbled. "I used to be feared and respected; now I'm Xellos, the pack mule."


Lina and Xellos materialised in front of Luna and the dragons, throwing up a quick shield to protect themselves from the blasts they were sending at Melee.

"Just in time, my dears, I really didn't think I would last this long. My powers are not what they used to be." Melee smiled at them as her body flickered in and out of sight. "At least I can still do this, let me see the sword."

Lina stretched out her hand and the glowing ball appeared in her palm. She concentrated for a moment and it lengthened and took the form of a sword. Melee smiled as tears flowed down her cheeks, touching the sword with the tip of one finger a spark jumped from her finger into the sword.

"My knowledge and blessing," Melee informed Lina. Her body then vanished with a last whisper, "Finally, Mother, I'm with you. I'm not alone."

Lina stood up, her back towards Luna and the dragon elders. Xellos maintained the barriers as Lina straightened her shoulders. The gleam in her eyes was the same one which had prompted her companions to take cover and hide. Lina had had a really bad day, and she had reached the point where her temper had just gotten a hold of her reason and taken off.

As she slowly turned around, Lina brought the sword out in front of her and drew on the Chaos energy. "Luna, do you know who I am?" she asked dangerously.

"My bratty little sister who should listen to her betters. Stop this right now, Lina, I'm warning you."

"I am the Knight of the Mother of All, I have been charged with maintaining the balance between worlds. I am now stronger than you. Cepheid does not want this confrontation, Luna. You are operating on pride and jealousy. I've had enough of this."
Lina stretched a hand out to Xellos, which he took. "Xellos is now the Priest of the Mother. Cepheid doesn't want a battle with him either. I think all of you need a time out to consider what you are doing."

"The two outside as well?" Xellos asked.

Lina nodded as she chanted a quick spell and drew strength from Xellos. "FREEZE ZONE."

The dragon elders and Luna were encased in a solid sphere of crystal. A sound of running came from the hall as Gourry, Amelia and Zelgadis entered.

"Zelas and another monster were about to get nasty when..." Gourry stopped and stared at the four prisoners. "I guess you did it, hunh?"

Lina nodded. "It'll wear off in a few days, but they should have time to think about how dangerous it would be to tangle with us." Lina staggered. "Melee is gone... I need some food now."

Xellos looked at Lina with concern, noticing the white strands mixed in with her fiery hair. "I think we should get away from here and go to someplace where she can get some peace and quiet. Saiyruin sounds right. Amelia?"

"You're all welcome at the castle, any time," Amelia answered.

"A quick means of transportation, eh, Lina." Xellos looked down at Lina who had grabbed on to his arm for support.

"Well, at least you're good for something besides annoying people," Lina laughed softly.