Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ The Wedding of Gourry Gabriev ❯ Propositions! Lina catches dinner! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<b>Title:</b> The Wedding of Gourry Gabriev
<b>Fandom:</b> The Slayers
<b>Characters:</b> Lina, Xellos
<b>Prompt:</b> #98. Writer's Choice
<b>Word Count:</b> 723
<b>Rating:</b> PG
<b>Summary:</b> In which Lina receives a guest and catches dinner.
<b>Author's Notes:</b> I do not own the slayers and am making no form of monetary or other profit from this piece of fanfiction.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
 
The Wedding of Gourry Gabriev
 
Chapter 3: In which Lina receives a guest and catches dinner.
 
 
I didn't fly far before stopping for a break, landing at a small river along a bend, the pain in my chest a now constant throbbing I thought might never go away.
 
I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't know why I'm so worked up over losing Gourry like this. It's not like he's being held prisoner, or dead. He's just not here and I don't think he ever will be again. Lina get a hold of your self. Gourry is a grown man, if he wants to go and get married because of a stupid letter that's his right.
 
Why does he have to be such a jellyfish brain?
 
All the circular thinking was making me hungry, so I sat down and prepared to fish. I was happily minding my own business when I sensed a presence behind me. Listening to the crunch, tap, tap of their walk I figured I'd knew who was behind me, but better safe then sorry.
 
“Hello Xellos,” I said, not bothering to turn around.
 
“You do have sharp ears Lina,” he responded, sounding slightly surprised.
 
Hey, I'm not going to brag, but I do have an extremely good sense of hearing and an over-developed knack for knowing when trouble was brewing. I just didn't know why Xellos was here, unless it was to give me advice. Ugh. Just the thought made me blanch a little, but I shifted a couple of centimeters when he came to sit next to me.
 
“You know Lina,” Xellos began, but I cut him off.
 
“Not now Xellos, I'm not in the mood.”
 
I have to give him credit he stayed quiet for about five minutes before starting up again.
 
“Lina, you know Gourry loves you and that you love him.”
 
“Xellos what! Where did you get that crazy idea from? Just because we've been partners for a while, I mean, I'll admit I care about Gourry, but love? That's just crazy!”
 
“Lina, Lina, Lina, when are you ever going to be honest with yourself?”
 
“Wait, did I just hear you correctly? Did you just talk about honesty?” I was sputtering with disbelief at this point. I mean Xellos talking about being honest? Mister Shhh-that's-a-secret himself?
 
“Now Lina, you wound me, I can be perfectly honest, when it suits my needs.”
 
Argh, I had to literally smack my own forehead. This guy was just too much. I was just about to give him a piece of my mind when he leaned in close and put one finger on my lips. I was so surprised I stopped in mid gulp.
 
“Lina, are you going to tell me to mind my own business or keep denying you care about Gourry the way a woman cares about a man?”
 
I growled a little and tried to bite his finger, but he pulled it out of reach before I could snap my teeth together. The guy was fast, I have to give him that much credit.
 
“Listen Xellos, I know you probably came here to tell me that this is all a…actually why are you here? There's no reason for you to be coming to defend Gourry or convince me to go back, not unless it's some secret motive of yours.”
 
“Ah, Lina, shrewd as ever, you're right, I'm not here to tell to go back to Gourry, I'm here to offer you some advice and propose another option.”
 
Xellos with another option? This could be interesting.
 
“Okay Xellos, I'm willing to listen, but only after we catch some dinner. Here,” I said, handing him my fishing pole while I went off to make another.
 
“Oh my, fishing….how quaint.”
 
“Quit talking and get catching Xellos, I'm not discussing `options' on an empty stomach.”
 
“Whatever you say Lina.”
 
And that's how Xellos and I ended up fishing quietly for a couple of hours, catching our dinner without further incident. I have to admit I was a bit surprised that Gourry hadn't found me yet, or the others, but I guess it just helped validate my first assumptions. Not that it didn't stop me from being lonely and if I'm going to be honest, missing him. I'd even be happy to listen to some asinine comment right about now.