Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Wake-Up Calls Suck ❯ The voices in my head have to go... ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
`Lina, you lost your temper again.'
 
 
 
The slim woman laid on the couch, running her fingers through her hair. Nervous habits were rare with her. She never indulged with biting finger nails or pencils or anything like that. Just lately though, she'd suddenly began to touch her hair and comb her fingers through it, untangling knots. The habit, Lina supposed, had been picked up from all that time spent with Gourry. But, now was not the time to think about her old, blond friend. Definitely not the time.
 
 
 
Right now, she just needed some sleep and then the classified pages out of the newspaper.
 
 
`Lina, sometimes you're truly insane.' Thanks for the support, jellyfish.
 
 
It was always either her sisters voice she heard or Gourry's. Never her own anymore. Apparently her voice just wasn't doing the job and had gotten some replacements.
 
 
 
`Lina, you lost..'
 
 
Aloud, she mumbled “I know I lost my temper. I don't need any reminding. I need a new job though or at least a big pay check. “
 
If her sister found out she'd lost another job, Luna would frown, her eyes always shadowed by her bangs. `You never stick with anything.' Then she'd bring up her one year of college, then all those jobs Lina had either quit or lost.
 
 
“Nope, I never stick with anything. I'm a regular…something. Drifter?” Maybe. She would like to travel for awhile though. “With Amelia?”
 
Again, maybe. Lina knew that Amelia would love to go on a trip somewhere. But Amelia wasn't very spontaneous. Her sister was the one who'd gotten that particular gene. Amelia, on the other hand, would want maps and to definitely know that they had enough money for expenses.
 
Currently, they were both flat broke.
 
 
If she asked nicely, her friend would go to Phil and get some money. He seemed to understand how rough times were for Lina. They both hated it, but rent needed to be paid on both apartments. They'd talked about moving in together, once and in nervous and half-hearted tones before the subject was dropped entirely. Their relationship was too fragile for something as drastic as sharing a place and seeing each other every day. Lina was too frightened by the thought and Amelia knew that Lina was too frightened by the thought.
 
 
Lina looked at her fingernails to discover half-moon cuts on her palm. They'd be much worse if she hadn't taken to biting the nails.
 
 
`Lina, sometimes you're truly insane.'
 
 
 
She nodded. “Yes, I know. And a hypocrite.” Her ragged nails dug into her palms as she looked at the clock on the wall. Too late to call Amelia. Not too late to call Naga though. God knew the tall, slightly insane woman could have the worst case of insomnia on the planet.
 
 
Lina reached for the phone sitting defencelessly on the table to the right of her. Naga was annoying, incredibly annoying sometimes, but once in a while she was good company to talk to.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After listening to the phone ring twenty times, the short woman decided to hang up. Naga wasn't home, either at a club or (with Amelia) somewhere else. Lina grimaced and through the phone back on the table, crushing the remains of a cigarette pack and possibly breaking a perfectly good phone. A phone that had actually been bought by Amelia a month before. Lina had the tendency to break things when she was angry.
 
 
 
`Lina, you lost your temper.'
 
 
No shit, Sherlock.