Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Friend in the Eyes of My Enemy ❯ A Friend in the Eyes of My Enemy ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

A Friend in the Eyes of My Enemy

~AIC

Disclaimer: Sega owns Sonic & Knuckles. Not me. I wish owned Knuckles. Doesn't everyone though? It's depressing....

A/N: Okay, I just got done playing Sonic & Knuckles on my old Sega. I got to the part where Knuckles died.... it was so sad!!! Damn it! I defeated Metal Sonic or Mecha or whatever his name is... and I got a little through the Death Egg before my last continue blinked away and fled... well, here's the story. Go easy, it's my first ever Sonic fic. I don't know much about their characters...

~*~

It was beautiful. The palace was hidden away, the pale pastel colors within making the world seem dark and strangely colorful, though softly glowing. It was more unique, more gorgeous then anyplace he'd ever seen before. It was surprising how someone so evil, to the point where they'd team up with someone as deplorable Dr. Robotnic, seemed to appreciate the small pleasures of glowing gems and pale blue and green light gleaned from the edges of crystal. Sonic sped his way through, his shoes tapping on the glassy surface of the hard, polished floor. As he made his way through, the passage became clearer, outlined corners no longer hidden by patches of shadow, and the blue hedgehog ran his gloved hand along a cool, aquatic green wall. He slowed and listened carefully. He knew what was ahead.

So... there he is. Sonic heard the soft scraping of shoe on stone, almost pacing as the echidna waited. He knows I'm coming... no reason to disappoint him. Settling into a semi-loud jog, he made sure that his rival would hear his arrival. The hedgehog didn't like the roundabout approaches too well and it suited him that the fight would be face to face instead of two creatures biting and snapping at each others' ankles from the shadowy corners of a place such as this.

As he reached the end of the corridor, he saw the deep, flaming crimson form of the echidna, lounging against a cube-like structure of crystal. His eyes were narrowed, and he silently shifted into an expectant stance, spiked gloves leveled.

He doesn't seem so bad, but he is. Why do I have the feeling that he's a good guy? He isn't like me. Sonic hesitated, seeing something in the other's eyes that seemed akin to his own. He studied the toned form his enemy, the haughty, seemingly arrogant expression in his eyes. A closer look told him that this wasn't so much as arrogance as it was nobility. There was something good about him. But we aren't the same... He didn't seem to convince himself entirely of that.

Knuckles watched him and nodded, assuming that he was to go first. He leapt into the air and glided toward him, his reflection mirrored on the emerald floor of his palace. He didn't seem so intent on killing him now; in fact, he didn't seem like he was feeling much of anything. Not a trace of the cruel laughter that'd been glimpsed before. Sonic jumped aside and spun, his quills nicking the back of his red adversary, who barely winced and turned to face the blur of blue. He dove towards him at a speed almost as fast as the hedgehog himself.

Taking a hit to the jaw, the dark, sky-blue from was thrown back against the wall. He looked up at the echidna. My heart isn't in this, but I don't know why. It doesn't seem like he's truly my enemy.

Knuckles stopped, landing, and regarded him. They stared each other down for moments that seemed to stretch endlessly. Finally, with a voice soft and velvety yet oddly sophisticated, he murmured, "This isn't as good as it should be. Why aren't you fighting, Sonic?"

Standing, he shot him a grin. "Why does it matter? All I'm here for is to stop Robotnic." He crouched into a ball and started spinning, charging his energy.

Why does it matter? The echidna thought. Instead, he responded to the latter statement, "I can't let you do that." Knuckles lunged but Sonic was ready. He had to do this, to save his friends, his family ...the world. He ducked and punched the echidna in the gut. I can't risk so great a sacrifice on a hunch.

Sonic watched as his opponent crumpled to catch his breath, shaking the urge to offer his hand to him and help him up, when suddenly the echidna's eyes widened in shock. He was looking past him from his place on the ground, his face a mix of surprise, anger, and something else.... betrayal?

Yes. Sonic glanced behind him, comprehending the look on his enemy's face. Robotnic was stealing the emerald, the family heirloom that was all Knuckles had left of his parents. Beady black eyes glinted as the metal claw closed around the brightly glowing gem, and something hardened in the depths of Knuckles' obsidian eyes.

"NO!!!"

Before Sonic could even notice, and with a strength he didn't know that the crimson creature possessed, Knuckles had attached himself to the small, rounded metal ship that the evil inventor was in, glaring up at him with a hatred Sonic hadn't seen, not even when they had fought. So severe was the expression, so plain and direct was the raw hatred, that it was a wonder that Robotnic didn't die on the spot.

~*~

"Give it back!" He gripped the edge of the metal as hard as he could, rage burning within him. How could anyone, even Robotnic, do this? They'd made a deal! If it's the last thing I do, I'll have your life! The enraged boy thought. Eyes locking onto the laughing, malicious eyes of the doctor, Knuckles cried out as a searing pain lanced through his body, causing him to lose his grip slowly. As lightning crackled around him, from the corner of his pain-hazed vision he thought he saw a blue swirl of motion charging at the ship. Then he lost his grip and, falling, his world went black.

"Knuckles!"

The voice was faint, far away. He struggled towards it.

"Come on man, wake up!"

Locking onto the voice, he forced himself to follow. Soon his eyes were opening quickly to meet the face of Sonic, who, strangely enough, had concern etched on his face.

"What...?" He leaned up, a small deep-throated whimper escaping his lips at the unexpected pain that lanced through his body. He stood anyway, remembering what had happened in the past few moments he'd been out. "Sonic, this way." He stood, not pausing at the touch of a gloved hand on his shoulder, or the look in Sonic's eyes that so plainly said, But you're hurt.

"I don't care that I'm not in top condition." He answered the unspoken question. "If you don't stop Robotnic, he'll have the Chaos emeralds, my family heirloom... and not to mention everyone's life." He sped off, slower that he should be but making sure the hedgehog, who had no choice but to follow when it was put in such a logical way, wouldn't notice.

They followed the evil genius, dodging robots and other half-breed creations as they made their way. Several times Knuckles collapsed, but wouldn't except any help from his new companion. And he insisted, without words, that he would do all of the necessary preparations. He wouldn't let Sonic activate the teleport beams or fight more than his fair share of killbots.

He needs this. The thought suddenly struck Sonic. He feels that he owes it to himself -and me- since he messed up so bad and trusted that freak of science.

"Up there." He said at last. They were up high in the air, standing side by side and studying a staircase of sorts that lead straight up into a puff ball of rolling clouds. The weather was so beautiful and Sonic now understood more of Knuckles' heart.

I was right. He isn't so bad. His mind pressed.

The staircase looked frail as it wound around a thin spire, and Sonic looked over at Knuckles hesitantly. "Yeah." The echidna said in answer. "It'll crumble behind you. You're fast, though."

He took this rare praise for what it was and though he didn't really know Knuckles, he knew that there was good in him, a noble sense of justice that one is born with.

"Go. I'll follow as best I can."

He knows he won't be able to make it! Sonic's mind shouted. But the way that he'd said it left no room for argument. Sonic started up the spire. He looked back, frowning as the echidna started to fall behind.

"You're a good guy Knuckles," he said softly and turned back to what was in front of him.

"You aren't so bad yourself..." he faltered and Sonic didn't look back. Deep down, something seemed to tear inside as he felt, rather than heard, the death of someone who could have been his friend.

No longer for the people of this planet. He thought. Robotnic, this is for Knuckles. My friend, this is for you.

~*~

There was wind rushing at him, his wounds throbbing as darkness closed in. I fell... how can I help him now... He was in a whirlwind of some kind, blankness flooding his senses. Sonic, how could I have been lead astray? Funny that he should think of the one who, until just recently, had been his enemy. Strange how life can be so twisted. Strange... beautiful. I lived a good life... I want to rest....

The slightest trace of a smile, brought on by such weariness, and maybe a bit of delirium, touched the echidna's lips. He had a long fall. He was thankful that he wouldn't be conscious when he hit the ground. If he was alive at all. At least I can say I had one friend....

And then there was darkness.

~fin~

A/N~ I rewrote it.... um... it' still bad... I'll consider a sequel if people want it.

~AiC