Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ A World Without Chaos ❯ Frozen Future ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A World Without Chaos
 
-Frozen Future-
 
-
 
A sparkling flash of luminescence crackled through the air, with a second wave following close behind.
Spiraling energies of telekinesis and pyrokenisis joined as one and unanimously crashed into its target.
“Got 'im!” a silvery-white hedgehog announced triumphantly. Feeling successful, he turned towards his orchid colored comrade, only to be met with disagreement.
“Don't get so excited just yet, Silver...” she proclaimed.
For 14 days, the two had been fighting a seemingly fruitless battle. Everything had seemed to happen in a flurry of images.
The snow. The Chao disappearing. Chaos.
At one point in time, their futuristic present had been somewhat peaceful and content with the approaching arrival of the holidays. Several days later, it had begun to snow. Soon with each passing week, the snow had accumulated in density and multiplied in its entirety a thousand-fold.
It wasn't long before everyone of their world had begun to turn to ice.
Even the Chao had disappeared again.
 
Everyday, for 14 days, Silver and Blaze were the only two individuals who had the courage and will to fight for their people and their lives.
Everyday they fought, their supposed enemy appeared unresponsive to their attacks as if it cared nothing of it. But with each day the threat remained, the weather intensely worsened
.
Engulfed in its downtrodden and spiritless cocoon of condensed frozen liquid, the beast allowed their attacks to connect but did not counter.
 
Instead, its low and distorted wail sounded through the air as its frigid and liquidy form responded with a ripple. Even the ground beneath it seemed to quiver at the creature's dejected pain.
 
Seeing their adversary was again refusing to fight back, Silver withheld his next attack and floated to the ground next to his partner.
“It's happening again...” he muttered, blinking through the obstructive falling snow and hail.
Blaze agreed with a silent nod. “I know... He won't attack... ...He never will...”
Aggravated as much as he was curious, Silver looked to Blaze and tried to meet her steady gaze.
“What do you mean...?” he inquired, squinting through the thick weather at her, “He's been freezing everything since the Chao disappeared! I think that's saying a lot for something that hasn't been attacking us!”
Shaking her head, she sighed.”You're so naive..”
With those words, she turned on her heels and walked off in the opposite direction as if the harsh and freezing weather was ineffective to her.
“Wh-what?” Silver pouted and followed after her. Beginning to feel the iciness lick at his bones, he shivered, but made sure he stood tall at Blaze's side. “That again??! What am I naive about this time?! We've been fighting this creature for weeks, Blaze!”
“...I'm aware of that...”
“S...So then...?”
It was apparent to the both of them of how rapidly the cold was starting to effect him.
Saying nothing, Blaze summoned a fiery orb in her hands. She quickly clasped them together and spread them to create a burning force field around both of them.
That is what she had been using for the past few weeks. She discovered that her powers could at least do that much.
However, the cold was much to powerful to be melted and she knew this.
The least she could do was keep Silver and herself warm until they reviewed their next move.
 
“Whew!” Silver exclaimed with relief.
A small hint of a smile played across Blaze's lips as she quickly stole a glance at him stretching in the warmth.
That Silver... He was always making her smile.
“That is why you're naive” she smirked.
“Huh what?” Silver questioned but before he could finish, that tiny glimpse of a smile faded and her usual seriousness enveloped her being.
He was a bit disappointed to see it go, but that was the way she was.
Wordlessly, she glanced to him and nodded. “Let's go...”
“Go? Where?” he asked, but already beginning to follow her.
“...Someplace we can think to prepare for the next attack.”
“Next attack? Blaze...”
She stopped, but didn't grant his presence with a look this time. Her keen eyes sharply eyed the falling of the boreal precipitation before her.
“Blaze...what can we do to stop this thing? ...Fighting it hasn't done a thing. The weather just keeps getting worse...”
Collecting her thoughts, a swish of her tail was all on her that moved in response to his statement.
“I know...”
“...I...I hate to say it but it doesn't seem like we can ever save our world this way...”
She sighed. “That's true as well...but Silver, what other choice do we have but to fight? ...I don't like it anymore than you do and I believe it's useless, but...we both can't stand to sit around doing nothing for ourselves.”
“But the Chao haven't returned in the least! We need those Chao to keep our world stabilized, you know that!”
'He's still so naive..' she thought silently to herself. 'I know he's right but what else is there for us...?'
Blinking, she casually turned to him.
Her eyes narrowed, not just to see through the snow but from being in sudden deep deliberation
'If we are to fail in protecting this world...no matter how worthless our battles may seem...I'd gladly risk my life for this planet and for him...'
An odd shiver sparked through Silver as he could feel her thoughts were something towards him.
With uncertainty teeming in his eyes, he stepped closer to her within the force-field.
“...Blaze...”
His voice carried moreso the tone of a whine than that of endearment.
Knowing he hated being in the dark about things, she chuckled inwardly to herself and nodded to him.
“You're still being naive..”
“Argh! Blaze!”
A faint sound of laughter trickled from her. And the moment it appeared, that flicker vanished as fear tarnished her features.
“Get out of the way!” she shouted as she forced him away from her with her powers.
And not a second later, a watery glob of unknown substances had launched itself in Silver's former direction.
Without any dolor, the two headed towards the source in their own preferred ways while dodging the succession of attacks.
A slew of energy bursts flew from Silver's being like a volley of arrows towards the globs as he soared through the air, while Blaze let her fiery fists and legs deal the damage.
“It's that monster!” Silver exclaimed through the snow and hail. “It's finally attacking us!”
“Thank you for stating the obvious, Silver, I hadn't noticed!” Blaze sourly retorted back.
Ignoring her possible attempt at sarcastic humor, Silver decided it best to descend upon nearing closer to their target.
 
But as he did so, he was met with an icy force to his body that matched the equivalent of a solid boulder.
He went down within seconds and hit the rough ground with hardly any sound.
His name was called—shouted by Blaze but the intense frozen onslaught of the weather and the unidentified weapons homing in on them greedily swallowed up the sound.
 
She quickly ran to his side, avoiding the attacks as best she could and fighting through the ones that hit her.
Nearly covered in grotesque freezing goo, she finally reached Silver's form on the ground.
Broken pieces of hail had spiked the soil in an uneven sheet that braced Silver's landing.
 
It was too dense to see how badly he was hurt, but Blaze grasped the back of his shoulders firmly and shook him.
The same goo that had hit her had almost completely submerged him.
Coughing, he began to rise from the ground, only to get another dosage of the same type of hit. As did Blaze.
Forcing herself to fight back the desire to succumb, she plunged her fiery hands into the liquidy encasing around Silver and jumped back from what looked back at her.
An eye.
A deformed and ill-shapened eye floated aimlessly through that thick collaboration of refuse.
The thought of it being all over the both of them made her stomach turn, but she held in its contents.
“S-Silver” she managed to croak.
She didn't know if he could hear her or not, but he steadily began to lift himself up from the revolting bio-hazard.
 
Coughing, he spit out a glob of the waste and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.
In doing so, his eyes beheld one of the most repulsive and crude sights he had ever witnessed.
 
And something that was also an answer to a previous question of his.
 
A wavering and almost saddened wail emerged from the creature as if it seemed to realize that two others bore witness to its suffering.
And no blizzard, not even the one it created, could mask the despair, pain and misunderstanding that was wrought upon one's features.
 
A confused and sorrowful cry pierced through the air as Silver's heart contorted into an audible scream.
 
Chao.
Dismembered, crushed and malformed embodiments of Chao were the disgusting contents of the creature's suffering.
Their bodies had melded together in variously torturing ways, and that of which wasn't somewhat identifiable by a fraction had formed the outer cocoon of liquidy goo.
 
“WHY?!!” Anger flared in the sound of Silver's voice. Enraged and hurt, he pounded a fist into the jagged ground below.
Splotches of violent and remorseful crimson sprouted from his hand through his gloves and speckled the icy spikes.
“WHY THE CHAO?!!! WHY?!!!!” he screamed, his chest heaving.
“Silver...!” Blaze's voice seemed to return to her while she sadly watched her friend.
He had every right to feel the way he did and while she could understand his pain, the senselessness of the situation puzzled her. Why the Chao? What connection did this creature have with them to do such horrible things to them?
Without realizing, her hands tightened into fists and she launched herself into the air, using her agile legs to propel her towards the creature.
 
The one in question ceased its attacks and did nothing, as if it expected her arrival.
It almost welcomed it.
 
Freezing winds tugged at her fur, dappling it with arctic frost. But she didn't let that stop her.
The closer to the monstrosity she got, the colder her surroundings..
Her force field had begun to fade in fiery pops and crackles.
Soon, she stood at the foot of the liquid- engorged entity.
Instances of attacking it with everything she had rapidly played through her mind and within those passing deliberating seconds, her thoughts became reality.
Her whole being was lit aflame with burning determination as she wrought scalding havoc against the being.
 
Before long, her lightening fast blows were met and matched along with Silver's gleaming telekinetic powers.
Worn but impassioned, their blows collided with the creature for hour-feinting minutes.
 
As their blind, emotion-driven battle continued, exhaustion soon claimed them and they collapsed directly at the mercy of the icy being.
 
“We can't keep doing this!” Blaze forced out with a grunt, struggling to catch her breath.
Silver said nothing at first, but continued to hang his head in shame and defeat. And also in lament.
The weather was nearly unbearable now. Their luxury of sight had become a hindrance to them and was voluntarily disabled.
 
Faint ruby glossed eyes scanned over their resting forms through its cage of watery flesh.
A deep trembling sound rippled throughout its body as if it also felt pain for its own actions.
It was almost as if it was testing them...
 
“Silver!”
The fiery urgency in her voice quickly caused him to respond by reflex more than will.
“I know!...I know...”
Her vision still impaired, Blaze moved her tired body towards Silver's voice. Irritably, she struggled to force her eyes open. They stung as she managed to ignore the harsh snow.
She could barely make out Silver in her glassy and blurred vision.
“Silver...” she spoke softly, resting a hand on his back.
His body reacted with a jolt at her touch and without warning, he spun around and clasped her hands in his.
Confused yellow opals widened from the action and her mouth followed suit. She had known Silver well and she was already prepared for the bold and reckless words that were about to charge out of his mouth.
Still unable to brace himself against the relentless weather, Silver's eyes remained tautly shut. His mouth opened and his shoulders quickly rose and fell as he took a breath.
“Let's....let's get out of here and go back in time..”
“Silver...” Blaze sighed with a hint of sternness to her voice.
And Silver realized all too well when a scolding was on the way.
“We have to!” he claimed, unknowingly clutching her hands tighter.
“No! We shouldn't use time travel as an excuse for our own short-comings, Silver! We promised to eliminate all threats no matter what the cost--”
“Exactly!”
“--But we can't keep using time travel as a crutch! What happens here, we deal with here!” she stated boldly, her words coated with finality.
And normally, Silver would consent, but after seeing the mutated remains of the Chao, he couldn't just leave things the way they were.
Going back into the distant past may have been an excuse but what other choice was there?
Knowing his answer wouldn't be what she wanted to hear, he hung his head.
Blaze watched him with a silent firmness in her eyes that only softened for the one second he began to raise his head again.
 
Small glistening liquidy orbs peeked out from beneath his ivory-speckled lashes and kissed his cheeks.
She didn't know if it was out of remorse or understanding towards her friend, but Blaze felt something deep within her break when she saw him like this.
 
Reassuringly, she gave his hands a strong and sympathetic squeeze.
His lithe body shook as the cold continued to rob him of warmth and security as well as the sense of his words.
Taking a shivering breath that pricked at his lungs, he continued.
“...Blaze... I know how you feel...but... Although not much of any good...may come out of meddling with the past... we've still got to try...”
Her eyes narrowed apathetically. “Silver...you can't always be willing to take so many risks...”
“Damn it...” he muttered, his shivering worsening. “I don't know what else to do...We have the opportunity to go back and attempt to fix things... If we don't take that chance then...”
“That's enough...” she sighed. Silently, she slipped her frigid fingers to either sides of his face and concentrated to create a replacement force field.
She could keep them slightly protected for now.
As she and her plucky companion rose to their feet, another trembling wail emitted from the creature.
They both turned to glare back at it with their own brand of pain, anger and confusion playing about their faces.
 
Their adversary remained perched in the same frozen spot it had been in since it showed up.
The 3 of them seemed to share a mutual silence and for only a split second did another possible realization hit Silver and Blaze.
 
Perhaps this creature had reasons of its own for doing what it did.
For odd and unknown reasons, it had seemed as if the creature was protecting something.
 
“Blaze...?” Silver began to inquiry, but Blaze shook her head and held his hand in preparation to leave.
“Let's go” she uttered.
Through the endless plummeting of white, the creature watched them go and let out a soft cry.
 
To be continued...