Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ City Of Peril ❯ Face-Off ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

No, this story isn't done yet. Read on!

Chapter 5: Face-Off

The next morning, everyone was awakened to the sound of Godzilla's roar. But, this time, there were other noises, too. Plus, it had begun to rain. The ground shook slightly as footprints were left somewhere in the city. No one had quite slept peacefully, and they were now up watching the news after learning of what happened to Amy. The screen showed video of not just Godzilla, but two other monsters as well.

Billy: King Ghidorah and Megalon! This is really getting bad!

Sonic: King who and what?

Billy: King Ghidorah is the one there, you see, the gold one with three heads. Megalon is the other one.

Sonic: The beetle with the drills for lower arms?

Billy: Exactly!

Knuckles: You must watch a lot of those movies.

Billy: I've seen every single one!

Amy: I'm getting out of here!

They tried to stop her, but she ran away, mysteriously.

Sonic: That is one strange hedgehog. Why'd she run out like that?

Scotty: Must be the stress.

Sonya: We have to find a way to stop these monsters before more arrive.

Scotty: Then we'll have to stop Robotnik.

Sonic: You say it like it's hard to do. Come on, all we have to do is find him, and shut his little plan down!

Knuckles: But, like you said, we have to find him first. So far he hasn't shown up in person, so he could be anywhere.

Tails: Hey, guys…

Sonic: Yeah?

Tails: What's that thing on Godzilla's head? I noticed it yesterday, but I didn't really pay attention to it.

Billy: I've never seen that before…but it looks almost like…

Tails & Billy: A mind control device!!

Scotty: Mind control?! So that's how Robotnik's been using the monsters!

Sonic: But what about the other two? I don't see anything like that on their heads.

Billy: Robotnik must've brought them here to fight Godzilla of their own free will, and destroy the city in the process!

Metal-2: <sarcastically> Great, more good news!

Scotty: So now what do we do?

They all thought for a moment, and then something came to Billy.

Billy: I think I may have a plan. Meet me outside!

They all went outside into the rain while Billy got something from his lab. He brought out what looked like some sort of large laser blaster. He set it up on a tripod in front of the base, and attached some wires to and from it to a device that looked similar to a propane tank.

Billy: This is one of my greatest inventions. It can alter the size of anything or anyone. You see, after our little run-in with that Godzilla robot a while back, I built this in case such a situation arose again. What it does is-

Knuckles: Billy!

Billy: Yes, brother?

Knuckles: You don't need to explain it. Just turn the thing on so we can get out of this rain!

Sonic: So, are we all gonna become giant anti-Godzilla hedgehogs?

Billy: Well…There's a problem. I only have enough power for two shots. One to enlarge, and one to return to normal. So, only one of us gets to be huge.

Sonic: Who should it be?

Scotty: Someone best suited for fighting.

Knuckles: That's me!

Billy: Actually, Metal stands a better chance. He was designed for combat, after all.

Sally: You've got a point there.

Scotty: Well, Metal, it looks like you've been volunteered!

Metal-2: ME?!

Sonic: Seems that way.

Metal-2 looked at them, a little shocked. After a moment, he nodded in agreement.

Metal-2: I will try not to fail.

Tails: Look at it this way: If you do, there won't be anyone left to blame you!

Metal-2: That's…not very reassuring.

Tails: <shrugs>

Billy: Okay, Metal, stand in front of the device…You may want to have some distance.

Metal-2 did so, and Billy activated the device. Luckily, it worked the first time, and Metal-2 slowly became gigantic. He could now see eye to eye with Godzilla.

Scotty: Hey, Metal!!

The giant robot knelt down to hear Scotty better.

Metal-2: Yes?

Scotty: Don't kill those monsters, okay?

Metal-2: <sigh> …Very well…

Scotty: Oh, and uh…Try not to break anything.

Metal-2 stood back and crossed his arms as he answered.

Metal-2: I'm afraid that will be impossible. For one thing, I must destroy the mind control device, and attempt to ally with Godzilla.

Sonic: Good luck, Metal!

Tails: Watch out for lightning!

Metal-2 turned and took a step toward Godzilla, who was still in the distance. The ground shook, knocking almost everyone over and sending water spraying a few feet up. Not noticing this, the robot continued into the distance. When he was far away enough for everyone to stand, Nightingale realized something and told everyone.

Nightingale: Hey, something just occurred to me. What happens if Godzilla isn't on our side? I mean after Metal removes that mind control thing?

Scotty: Uh-oh.

Nightingale: Metal's not exactly the diplomatic type. I need a way to talk with Godzilla; to try and communicate with his heart. I can handle that, but I need to get there first.

After a moment of thought, Tails snapped his fingers as his face lit up.

Tails: I've got it! Stay here, I'll be right back!

He ran to the hangar, and powered up his Veritech. The fox flew it out, and turned around and headed for his friends. When he neared them, Tails moved the transformation lever to its middle point, and the jet shifted into guardian mode. The front and top were the about the same, but the arms and legs hung down. It was half-jet, half-battloid. Tails landed in front of everyone, and opened the canopy.

Tails: This thing will get us there quick!

Sonic: Uh…Tails… In case you haven't noticed, that thing only has one seat.

Tails looked down at the Veritech's left arm. The hand was empty, since the right arm carried the gun. Nightingale saw him indicate the empty hand just by looking at it.

Nightingale: Oh no! Not me! There is no way I'm going to be carried through the sky by some crazy machine in the rain!

30 seconds later…

Nightingale: I cannot believe I am being carried through the sky by some crazy machine in the rain!

Tails carefully flew low, between the buildings. They both saw damage in various parts of the city. It wasn't long before they found Metal-2. The robot was gripping Godzilla's mind control device, and the lizard wasn't too happy.

Tails: This could get ugly…

Metal-2 stabbed his fingers into the device slightly, and ripped it off. Godzilla roared with the same pain as ripping off a bandage. Though grateful for getting his self-control back, Godzilla didn't quite agree with Metal-2's methods. Tails landed on a nearby rooftop, and set Nightingale down. The echidna ran toward the edge of the building, clasping her hands together. She cried to Godzilla with her heart.

Nightingale: Please…don't fight each other. I beg you! The city…It's full of people. You have to stop this destruction!

Godzilla slowly turned to face her. Metal-2 was reside Nightingale, and stood ready for anything that might happen.

Nightingale: I know you're good inside! Please, help us stop this terrible evil!

After a moment, Godzilla nodded, understanding. The lizard then left toward the other monsters. Metal-2 turned to face Nightingale.

Metal-2: Good job, and thank you. We will take it from here. Tails, please get her to a safe place.

Tails: You can count on me!

Tails took Nightingale back to the base, and informed the others of what had happened. Metal-2 followed after Godzilla. When he caught up with the lizard, Metal-2 noticed that Godzilla was already fighting with Megalon. That left King Ghidorah for Metal-2. The three-headed dragon saw the robot coming, and stood ready with its mouths ready to bite.

Metal-2: Okay, you! It's time to end this!

Metal-2 punched at the beast, but it was surprisingly agile, and it dodged each attack. Ghidorah returned the move by trying to bite Metal-2's arms. It got in a chomp or two, but did almost no damage and got a bad taste in its mouths. Metal-2 reached out and grabbed Ghidorah's left neck with his right arm. With all his might, he threw the monster to the ground, destroying a small building that was in the way.

Godzilla had faced Megalon before, and learned from his mistakes. He took the giant beetle by its horn, and swung it around into a large apartment complex. The building shook as pieces of it fell off. Megalon got back up, slowly, and flew toward Godzilla, spinning its drill arms. The lizard evaded, but took out the top of a building in the process of dodging.

Nearby was the Empire State Building, and a crowd of people had flocked to its rooftop to watch the fight. Unknown to anyone else, Amy was among them. She had come here because it seemed to be the safest building to be in, but the crowds had unknowingly forced her and other refugees up to the roof. They cheered for their favorite monsters, and a few even placed bets on the winner while Amy watched from her place near the edge.

Amy: Wow! This is some fight! It's too bad about the rain, though.

Ghidorah was standing up after being thrown down a second time. It grabbed Metal-2 with its heads, and flung him a few hundred yards away. Once they were both on their feet, Metal-2 ran toward Ghidorah, only to be stopped by the energy beams that it fired at him. They crashed into him, knocking the robot down. The metal body of Metal-2 crushed several cars as it impacted the ground.

Amy: Oh no! Metal!

Undeterred, the robot rose back to his feet, and tackled Ghidorah, sending them both through a building. The strong monster escaped the robot's grip, and took to the air. Metal-2 recovered as well, and followed Ghidorah. The robot landed several powerful punches on the monster, followed by a devastating kick to the gut.

Metal-2: Do not try to defeat me!

The monster crashed to the ground near the Empire State Building. The impact rocked the entire building, and it, combined with the movements of a partially insane crowd, sent Amy over the protective bars, and toward the monster below. Ghidorah saw her falling, and opened a mouth to swallow the hedgehog up. That head was almost instantly punched away by the chin by Metal-2. Amy neared the ground, and the robot noticed it. He reached out his other hand to catch her, and did, slowing her fall gradually to avoid injury. The hedgehog slowly opened her eyes, and looked up past the fingers and into the face of Metal-2.

Amy: Oh, Metal! You saved my life!!

She didn't know how he had become gigantic, and she didn't care. All Amy knew was that she was truly safe now. There was a roar from behind them, and Metal-2 turned around to see Ghidorah charging up its beam attack. Metal-2 closed his left hand, which held Amy, and covered it with his other arm. The robot couldn't dodge in time, so he had to brace them both for the hit.

Within seconds, Ghidorah was ready, and unleashed three immensely powerful rays at Metal-2. The power of the continuing blast kept shoving Metal-2 backward, down the street. The sides of the buildings around the robot were scorched by the edges of the attack. The beam continued to force the robot backward as his heels plowed through the street, destroying everything in their path. Finally, Metal-2 was sent into a massive building with incredible force. The building cracked as windows shattered, and huge pieces began to fall on the robot as Ghidorah's beams finally dissipated. In moments, the entire building came crashing down on Metal-2, damaging him as it knocked him down. One large piece slammed into the back of Metal-2's hand, causing him to release Amy onto the ground below.

Ghidorah watched as the building fell on Metal-2. When the robot didn't move or show any signs of life, Ghidorah walked away to face Godzilla. Down below, Amy slowly got up. Her arm was bruised from the fall, but she was otherwise okay. Rubble and dust were everywhere, and she coughed because of it. The rain had seemed to get most of it out of the air, though. She found an opening, and made her way out from underneath the rubble. The hedgehog turned around, and saw Metal-2, half-buried by pieces of the building.

Amy: Metal! Oh no!

She thought for a moment, and then found a path up through the concrete and steel. After a minute or two of careful climbing, she finally reached a flat slab of rock that was next to the side of his face. She couldn't see the red glow of his eyes, and feared the worst. Amy ran up to touch the side of his muzzle.

Amy: Metal! Metal, please wake up!

Nothing happened. The robot's head sat silently as rainwater covered it, flowing down the sides. In the distance, she heard the sounds of more fighting. A tear ran down her cheek as she leaned on the robot's muzzle.

Amy: I couldn't stand…to lose you!

Still, the robot did not move. She stood, silently, trying to hug him as the rain only came down harder. There was a loud roar from Godzilla far away. He sounded hurt. Amy faced Metal-2 again, crying. She tried to hug him, but couldn't. She kissed him, and heard another roar far away.

Amy: Come on…Get up…Godzilla needs you! The city needs you! …I need you…

There was only silence for a moment. But it was finally broken when she heard a faint mechanical noise from inside Metal-2. Then there was another, and then she heard power begin to flow inside him. Amy wiped her tears away as she smiled and looked up at his eyes. They were still black for a moment, but she then saw the familiar red glow of his pupils. The robot looked down at her.

Metal-2: Amy…Are you all right?

Amy's eyes watered with tears of joy as she looked up at him.

Amy: You big doof! Don't ever scare me like that again!

Metal-2: I'm…sorry…

Amy: Don't be…

Godzilla roared again, and it sounded as if he was in real pain.

Metal-2: I am needed…elsewhere.

Amy: I know…Before you go…I wanted to tell you…that…that I…<sigh>…I'll tell you later…

Metal-2 shook the rubble off his right arm and reached around to pick up Amy. He set her back down on the ground a safe distance away from him. The robot, fueled by his spirit and the knowledge that he had to win. Moved around, shattering the larger chunks of concrete from him. The rain poured down as he stood back up and shook off the pieces of the building. There was a new energy about him. Metal-2's emotion chip was working overtime, and this robot was MAD. He and a friend of his, not to mention the whole city, had been viciously attacked for no good reason.

The robot armed his blasters and ran down the street. When he was safely away from Amy, he activated his jets at full power. This sent him moving like a bat from the underworld, and it also decimated each and every one of the buildings he flew between. Metal-2 didn't care now. His only objective was to remove that monster from the face of the planet, despite his promise to Scotty. Rain turned to steam as it hit the flame from his jets. The three monsters were visible now, and he only went faster, kicking up cars and streetlights, and anything else in the wake of his engines.

Metal-2: You…will…pay!

Metal-2 viciously tackled Ghidorah, breaking some of its ribs. The robot, full of rage, grabbed the monster and hurled it into Megalon. They both went crashing down toward the water. Godzilla was badly injured from fighting them, and retreated to the sidelines. Metal-2 chased after Ghidorah before it even hit the ground, and fired several blaster shots into it. Ghidorah stumbled to its feet, but only because Metal-2 forced it to.

Metal-2: Stand up so I can knock you down again!

The robot grabbed the hapless Ghidorah and took off into the sky. When they were very high up, Metal-2 took the monster by the center neck, swung it around in a vertical circle several times, and launched it face first into the ground. The impact sent out a huge shockwave that obliterated many nearby buildings. The robot continued his relentless assault by slamming down into Ghidorah's back with his feet. Megalon, seeing the rage in the robot, began to retreat into the ocean, and Metal-2 let him go.

Metal-2: You are going to wish you were never born!!!

Metal-2 jumped off and grabbed the monster by its twin tails. He dragged it around in a circle, slowly at first, but with ever-increasing speed. Ghidorah was soon in the air, being swung around faster and faster. Finally, Metal-2 released the monster, sending it out over the ocean. But he wasn't done yet. The robot began to collect energy in his shoulder lasers, and, after a few moments, fired them. Two brilliant beams of pure white energy streaked across the sky, parting the water of the ocean and flash boiling the rain. They both impacted King Ghidorah, forcing the monster farther away as its body began to burn and shred into pieces. The scales were quickly disintegrated, exposing the innards of the monster. The lasers continued to rip through them, completely obliterating the entire monster. When the energy finally dulled and dissipated, there was nothing left of Ghidorah but atomic fragments. The sounds of the rain began to fade in once again as the ocean resettled. Metal-2 turned to Godzilla, his lasers smoking.

Metal-2: Thank you…for your help.

Godzilla nodded, and roared very loudly. Then, the monster returned to the ocean, back to its home. Metal-2 turned to face the city. It was a horrible, wrecked shadow of its normal self. Fires burned here and there, rubble from buildings was everywhere as far as the eye could see. And still, Metal-2 couldn't help but feel that he'd won. The robot took a step toward the city, to return to the base as rain poured down on him. He began to walk away, but stopped and turned when he heard a familiar voice.

Robotnik: I'm going to get you for this!

Metal-2 saw a small ship, belonging to Robotnik, fly down in front of him. This re-ignited his anger, and he grabbed the ship.

Robotnik: You won't kill me! That emotion chip of yours won't let you…That's right! I know all about your chip and how it keeps you from killing!

Metal-2 opened the panel in his head, reached in, and pulled out a computer chip with a round `e' symbol on it.

Metal-2: Not anymore.

Robotnik stared in horror as Metal-2 crushed the chip with his other hand after closing the panel. The robot then looked down at the scientist.

Metal-2: Now for you.

Robotnik: Oh no…Please…uh, can't we talk about this?

Metal-2: No.

The robot faced the ocean, moved his arm back, and hurled Robotnik, ship and all far out across the ocean. After a moment, he turned around to see his team from the base standing on the beach near his feet.

Scotty: Nice throw…And…thanks for letting him live. I know how much you wanted to kill him.

Sonic: Well, the city's in pretty bad shape, but we managed to keep the deaths to a minimal.

Knuckles: It turns out most of the people evacuated after the first Godzilla attack.

Metal-2: That's a relief…But, Scotty, I'm afraid that I-

Scotty: I know. I saw you kill that monster. <sigh> Listen, it's okay. You did what you had to do.

Amy came running up to him.

Amy: You're my hero!!

Metal-2: Amy…

The robot picked her up gently, and brought her very high up to his face where he could see her better.

Metal-2: I believe there was something you wanted to tell me.

Amy walked up close to him, and whispered.

Amy: I…I love you…

Metal-2 was a little surprised at this; it seemed like she really meant it.

Amy: …But you destroyed your chip, so I guess you don't understand.

Metal-2: Actually…That was a duplicate chip.

Amy: What?

Metal-2: I had my nanorobots create a duplicate so I could fool Robotnik into thinking I would kill him. I know that sounds mean now, but if you were me at the time, you'd know.

Amy: Well…Then I guess you do know.

Metal-2 nodded and set her back down.

Metal-2: Billy, I am ready to return to normal.

Billy: Very well.

Billy activated the machine, and Metal-2 shrunk back down to his normal size. Amy was finally able to hug him now, and did so. The others laughed, not knowing what she had said to him and thinking it was just another one of her famous death hugs. After a while, the rain cleared and the sun came out as they returned home.

Over time, and with a lot of work, the city rebuilt itself, and things slowly began to return to normal. People came back to New York, and after a while, there were no signs that there had ever been a monster attack. Tails spent a lot of free time flying his Veritech, and Metal-2 learned more about emotions every day. Crime was virtually gone for a while, but they all knew it would return someday. For now, they just enjoyed their break. Sonic and Scotty raced with Metal-2, and Knuckles finally avoided being the decoy in a laser tag game. Amy stopped chasing after Sonic, since he was married anyway, and became good friends with the whole crew, especially Metal-2. The sun shown on the reborn city as it began to flourish once again.

THE--

Robotnik: Hey, wait a minute! Doesn't everyone want to know what happened to me?

Somewhere on a tiny island in the Atlantic…

Robotnik sat on a rock near his crashed ship. There was a single coconut tree, which he was under. The scientist tossed a rock out into the water, skipping it across the surface. A coconut fell from the tree, hitting him squarely on the head.

Robotnik: I hate being the bad guy…<rubs bruised head>

THE END

I would first like to thank Scotty CF for letting me use her characters. This story would not have been possible without her support.

Metal-2 belongs to me, though. : )

No giant monsters were harmed in the making of this fic.

And now, I ask that you please leave a review, even if it's just a short one.

Sayonara 4 now!