Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ghosts Of New York ❯ Mystery Phantom ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Scotty CF has asked me to do a fic containing her characters, but with my own twist. So here it is…

If anything is wrong, or doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Ghosts Of New York

Chapter 1: Mystery Phantom

It was a cold winter night in New York, and a chilly wind blew past the base, and past Scotty the crime fighter. He was worried about the challenges that he and his friends would soon face, with the holidays not far away. He stared at the patches of snow on the ground, deep in thought.

Scotty: <thinking> This Christmas is gonna be a rough one…

Sonic opened the door to the base, and stepped outside. The blue hedgehog wasn't a fan of the cold, but he wanted to talk to his friend. He walked up next to Scotty, who acknowledged his presence with a quick glance before returning to the snow.

Sonic: Hey, Scott, it's cold out here. You should come inside.

Scotty: I'm fine, thanks.

The hedgehog had endured many a cold winter night in the poorest of surroundings. That was in the past, but Scotty occasionally had trouble putting things like that behind him. Sonic sensed it, but decided to try again anyway.

Sonic: Are you sure? Sonya made hot chocolate.

Scotty: <sigh> Maybe…I'll join you in a few minutes.

Sonic: See you soon, Scott.

Sonic went back inside, and Scotty tried to figure out what he would do if and when trouble arose. He knew it would, as usual, but he hoped that regular criminals would be all that he'd have to deal with. They were hard enough as it is, and he sincerely wished that Robotnik wouldn't show his ugly face any time soon. After a minute or two, Scotty brought himself to go inside. Maybe some of that hot chocolate would do him good. He approached the lounge room and was greeted by his friends and co-workers.

Sonya: Hey, Scotty, I made hot chocolate…<hands mug of it to Scotty>…here, try it.

Scotty: Thanks, Sony…<takes a drink> Hey, this is pretty good.

Sonya: I'm glad you like it.

On the other side of the room, Tails and Billy were talking to Sonic.

Tails: Sonic, I'm worried about the money this year. Billy and I were going over some stuff…

Billy: …And it seems our finances are lower than usual. It is a very concerning matter.

Sonic: Relax, we'll just do what we always do…sell stock!

Tails: Hey, that's right! I forgot about all the Sega stock we have!

Sonic: You see, Tails? Problem solved.

Billy: Or at least delayed.

In Dr. Arrow's lab…

Simon: Aw, come on, tell me!

Dr. Arrow: Not right now, please! I'm trying to get this done!

Simon: Are you sure?

Dr. Arrow: <sigh> Yes, I'm sure…Now, run along, Simon. I hear Sonya made a nice treat in the lounge.

Simon: Oh, okay…<leaves room>…Why wouldn't he tell me what he wanted for Christmas?

Simon entered the lounge, and received some of the hot chocolate. He sat down next to Scotty, and took a sip. He burned his tongue.

Scotty: Careful, Simon…You've got to let it cool down first.

Simon: But then what's the point of it being hot chocolate?

Scotty thought about this for a moment, and said:

Scotty: Simon, I really don't know.

Simon: Oh…Hey, Scotty…

Scotty: Yeah?

Simon: Dr. Arrow wouldn't tell me what he wanted for Christmas…

Scotty: I wouldn't worry about it. He probably just doesn't want you to feel like you have to get him anything.

Simon: Then why didn't he just say so?

Scotty: Some people are like that, Simon.

They all enjoyed their drinks, and several minutes later, the alarm went off. The police scanners had picked up a disturbance, and they were all informed.

Sonic: <running toward door> Time to go to work!

Scotty: <follows Sonic> Let's get'm!

They both rushed away from the base, headed for the scene of a bank robbery. After a minute or so, they arrived, and the manager told them that the thieves ran toward the park. The two hedgehogs ran off in that direction, looking for anyone suspicious. They went all the way to the park, and they still hadn't found anyone.

Sonic: Scotty, do you see anyone?

Scotty: No, this place looks empty…

Simon: There they are!

The little blue hedgehog popped out of Scotty's backpack, and pointed at three hooded men. They were all unconscious, and lay motionless on the ground. Sonic and Scotty hardly noticed; they were too surprised at the sudden appearance of Simon.

Sonic: Simon?! What are you doing here?!

Scotty: Don't you know it's dangerous?!

Simon: I wanted to come with you!

Scotty: Don't do that again, Simon…I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you…

Simon: I'm sorry, guys, but it was the only way…

Sonic: Simon, you can't just go around doing that!

Simon: I said I was sorry…

Scotty: <sigh> It's okay, Simon, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

Simon: Okay…<gets out of backpack>

Sonic: Well…let's take care of these guys…

Scotty: <taps one of the men with his foot> It looks like someone's already done that for us.

Simon: I wonder who it could be…

Sonic and Scotty decided to figure it out later, and told Simon to wait at the park while they returned the money. Simon nervously agreed, and they left. Simon was tired of not having his questions answered, and looked around in all directions, waiting for something to come to him.

Simon: Come on, think…Who or what could have done this?

The little hedgehog walked around in a circle, staring into space. After a moment, he noticed something in the trees. Up in the shadows of the high branches, he saw a strange figure. Looking at it closer, he saw two glowing red eyes staring back at him. They were rounded and almost triangular in shape, and they stared unblinkingly at Simon. The hedgehog looked back at them for a moment, and then his eyes grew wide as he screamed:

Simon: <screaming> GHOST!! IT'S A GHOST!!!

His screams chased a bunch of birds from the trees, and moments later, Scotty and Sonic were at his side. He looked at them for a moment, then pointed into the treetops. But whatever he had seen wasn't there now.

Scotty: <looking up> What are you pointing at?

Sonic: And what was all that screaming about?

Simon: I saw a ghost!

Scotty: I told you, Simon, there's no such thing as ghosts.

Simon: But I saw one! Honest!

Sonic: <looks up for a moment> Well, whatever it was, it's not there now.

Scotty: <picks Simon up> Come on, Simon, let's go home.

Sonic: <points at unconscious thieves> What about these guys?

Scotty: The police are on their way to pick them up. Let's go, Sonic.

Sonic: Right.

The three hedgehogs made their way back to the base, where Simon told his ghost story to everyone. Of course, this was after they got over the fact that Simon had snuck out in Scotty's backpack.

Tails: A ghost, huh?

Simon: Yeah, it must've been.

Sonya: Did you watch that Christmas Carol on TV last night? I told you not too.

Sonic: Uh, Sonya…What does that have to do with anything?

Billy: I believe she is referring to the several Christmas ghosts in the story.

Sonya: Exactly.

Simon: No, I fell asleep before it started. But I'm telling you, I saw a ghost!

Sonic: Yeah, we know, with glowing red eyes and everything…

Scotty: But we told you, Simon, there's no such thing as ghosts.

Billy: That may not be true. There have been numerous studies concerning the existence of such things.

Simon: And what about those bad guys? They were out cold!

Scotty: …

Simon: See! The ghost did it!

Sonic: Well, if he's right, maybe our jobs will be easier this year.

Tails: A crime-fighting ghost…There's one for the front page.

Dr. Arrow: Simon, you need rest…Go on to bed, now.

Sonic: I think we could all use some sleep.

Scotty: I know I need it.

Most of them made their way to bed. Billy claimed that he was fine, and returned to the lab. He eventually fell asleep with his head on a drafting table. Simon didn't get much rest; not only was he frustrated that no one would believe him, but he wondered about that strange figure he had seen earlier.

Who or what did Simon see?

What lies ahead for Scotty and the others?

All this and more next chapter!