Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Just Beneath the Surface ❯ The Friend of My Enemy is Still My Friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just Beneath the Surface

Part V

~AiC

A/N: The last chapter sucked, I know, but I'll try to make this one worth it...

~*~

I hated being wet. Now, it's one thing to have a relaxing shower, or bath, or a dip in a hot spring... that water is warm, soothing. But I hated sitting in front of a small fire, dripping wet and freezing, at three in the morning. If I wasn't so well disciplined, I would have shivered as a bit of wind stirred the clearing. But I didn't, instead keeping my gaze fixated on the small flames, rather than my companion-and his sleeping charge. He was looking at me, brows knit together in scrutiny as he studied my expression, gleaning what he could from the mask of indifference that was my face. I think he may have seen more though, in my eyes. Even if I wasn't looking at him...

"Tails, go back to Knothole." Sonic spoke softly, leaving no room for disagreement.

The fox yawned, half-opening his eyes, and looked up at the hedgehog with a small frown. Sighing in resignation, he stood, toweling off the remaining droplets of water, and started away. I didn't say anything and Sonic's eyes never left me. I waiting until Tails was safely out of hearing range before I broke contact. The hedgehog, noting this, repeated,

"He needs me..."

I simply glared at a patch of clover, almost able to picture them withering away from my gaze. I was sitting, as I mentioned before, in front of the fire; one knee was drawn up to my chest, my arm draped over it, and the other was stretched out. I flicked a bit of dirt into the fire, watching it flicker; I knew what I must look like: the fire highlighting the gold tints in my red fur, shadows exaggerating my scowling expression. He probably knew I was thinking about what had happened only about a half hour before...

*p*a*s*t*

"Tails! Hold on!" Sonic's voice resounded through the air, audible over the roaring sound of the falls as the hedgehog ran along the muddy banks of the Acorn River. Tails was in the middle of the crashing waves, gripping a slick rock with his soggy paws. His namesakes propelled beneath the water like a motor, serving to keep him afloat, though barely. The water was welling up around his face, his muzzle pushed out of the water.

As Sonic struggled to snap a long branch off a nearby tree, I glanced at the bank. It was muddy, slick from the storm that Knothole had had a few days before. I could see where the fox's small prints dug deep trenches on the bank where he had strayed too close to the edge and slid into the water. I looked over to where Sonic was still struggling with the tree, and at Tails who was nearly losing his hold. The rock was smooth and polished from the harsh river current, and even I probably couldn't hold on forever.

Sighing in resignation, I sped over to Sonic, slamming my fist into the base of the tree branch. It was so, so could probably hold Tails-and me, if necessary. Using the tree as a propellant, I jumped slightly and pushed off, my long quills catching a fierce night breeze as I bulleted towards the center of the river. Touching down on the rock, I slid off and into the water, one clawed hand gripping the rock, the other wrapping around Tails' waist just before he lost his hold. I struggled to pull myself up onto the rock, but it was hard. The rock was very slick and even my experienced claws couldn't find a hold. They dug trenches through the hardened surface of the stone as I slid, growling in frustration.

"Knuckles!"

I looked over at Sonic. He'd called my name, and was now struggling to reach me with the branch. Fool. He wasn't strong enough to pull both of us in. I pushed Tails onto the branch, letting go once I was sure he had a hold of it. Now able to grip the rock with both claws, I was just able to climb on top of it. Sonic pulled the fox onto the bank and I glided over to them. Because I was wet, the wind made me almost unbearably cold. My long quills could still harness it, though, and I was flown to safety.

I landed, facing away from them, and sent an icy glare over my shoulder at sonic, who was holding Tails in his arms. He looked at me.

"Red, he's freezing. We gotta get him to the fire."

"Run, then, hedgehog."

He sighed, shaking his head, and started running. I followed closely behind.

He set the fox down next to the fire, sighing. Tails, exhausted and cold, was wrapped up in a towel and promptly fell asleep. He leaned down and kissed the fox softly on the forehead. I looked to the flames, curling up next to them, my eyes glinting darkly in the firelight.

"He needs me, Knuckles... he needs me..."

I ignored him.

*p*r*e*s*e*n*t*

"Knuckles..." He sighed, trying to think of something to say. When I didn't respond, he stood, digging through our packs for something. He came over to me with a blanket, draping it over my shoulders. "You'll catch cold." He said. But I was already cold. Inside and out.

"Just... just go, Sonic." The words were out of my mouth before I even though about them.

He looked at me, then turned away. He paused, as if considering something, then walked over to me, emerald glaring down to meet my own amethyst.

"Why?" He said.

Well how the hell would I answer that? Simply. I stood, pushing the blanket off, and then punched him full in the face.

He staggered back, one hand on his bruised cheek. "Why the hell did you do that?" He glared at me, then darted in with a fist to my gut. I doubled over and his hands moved to my shoulders.

"Geez, Red, you're freezing..."

"Don't touch me." I said, twisting sideways and bringing my elbow into his chest. He only wrapped his arms around my chest from behind, pinning my arms at my sides.

"No, Knuckles. You're freezing." His breath brushed against my neck and I did shiver-whether from the cold or from his close contact.

He was stronger than I gave him credit for, and I couldn't break free. He dragged me over to my sleeping back, then burrowed in, still holding me against him.

"What the hell is your problem??" I shouted, still struggling.

"You're cold, you need more than just blankets. You need body heat, you idiot." I sighed. He was right and I relaxed, hoping that he would so I could get out. He only held tighter. I hated it when he was right, and when he second-guessed me, too.

I had no idea why he was doing this. After all, it was always Tails, right? And then I started wondering why I cared. So, I closed off again. Let him do what he wanted. I didn't care anymore.

"Knuckles?" He said. I ignored him. He sighed and moved his hand to my shoulder, shaking it slightly. "Knux, pal, com on..."

"Just go, Hedgehog." I said coldly.

I had no idea what had been wrong with me lately. It was like something was supposed to happen, and I wasn't letting it... Sonic seemed to want something to happen.

I could hear him sigh and he suddenly turned me around, pinning me down with his hands on my shoulders. His gaze was searching, deep emerald pools aglow with something, something I couldn't determine.

"Knux," He said softly. "Me and Tails... no. He loves me, I'm his hero. But it's not..."

"Not what, Sonic?" I spat, the venom clearly apparent in my voice. He relaxed his grip, a pained expression replaced the previous one. Taking advantage of this I flipped him, using my slightly heavier build and extra strength to keep him easily beneath me. I glared at him.

"Ya know, Red..." He said softly. I clenched my teeth in warning but he continued. "I'm your friend."

I stared at him, torn between getting up and flying away or just letting him up. He leaned up and did the last thing I'd ever expected...

And my fist met his jaw. Then I ran.