Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories, Reborn Evil ❯ That's One NEAT Letter ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Lost Memories, Reborn Evil------------------- By Hyper Shadow
Hey all! I'm back! I told you that I would not take too long, and, seeing that I have nothing new to say, I'll say this: On with the story!
By the way, in my fic, Sonic and Knuckles are really close friends (though not as close as Sonic and Tails). However, when they first met, Sonic and Knuckles hated each other, and Knuckles always thought that Sonic was immature, he also called Sonic lots of names. *this isn't necessary to know, it's just extra information (like their ages).
*reviewer notes are at the bottom of the page*
><-><-><-><-><-><-><-&g t;<-><-><-><-><
 
Chapter 3: "That's One NEAT Letter"
 
<->-<->-<->-<->
LAST TIME
<->-<->-<->-<->
The Robot stood in front of the fox and raised its laser again. The fox closed its eyes, ready to meet its fate.
"Hey you stupid bucket of bolts, don't you know better than to attack a child?"
The Robot hesitated and looked around in confusion. It scanned the area with its sensors.
"Up here, tin-head!"
The Robot looked upwards at a nearby house. Standing on one of the stair rails of an emergency escape was a young, 4 year-old blue hedgehog.
The Robot made a strange disgruntled sound as it raised its laser at the hedgehog, but before it could get a lock on him, he had disappeared. The Robot turned emotionlessly back at its other captive, only to find him gone, he had crawled away while the Robot was distracted.
The Robot turned around to look for him. He found the fox, huddling near the hedgehog from earlier. The Robot raised its laser, unaware that something was wrong. The hedgehog smiled and carefully picked the fox up.
The Robot fired.
 
`.'
 
<->-<->-<->-<->
NOW…
<->-<->-<->-<->
 
Right before the laser hit, the hedgehog curled into a ball and spun straight at the Robot. He held the fox tightly to his chest, keeping him out of danger. The bullet missed the curled hedgehog entirely and the Robot didn't have the chance to move before the spinning ball of spikes crashed into it, ripping it apart. It never knew what hit it.
 
The hedgehog slowly slowed and uncurled, the fox was clinging to him so tightly he could barely breath.
 
"Hey there! You can let go now, it's over."
 
The fox slowly loosened his grip, but he didn't let go. He gasped when he saw the remains of the robot. "Can you teach me how to do that?" He asked in his tiny voice.
 
The hedgehog laughed, "Yeah, sure! Maybe someday." The fox smiled, and sucked lightly on his thumb.
 
"By the way," the hedgehog continued. "I'm Sonic the hedgehog, what's your name?"
 
"I'm Miles Prowler, I'm a Kitsune, although I don't know what that is…" The fox answered shyly, "I don't like my name," he added softly.
 
"A Kitsune?" Sonic whispered. He couldn't believe it, Kitsunes were extremely rare, and they were hunted and killed by the hundreds by Robotnik, he claimed that they had some special ability.
 
"Yeah," Miles replied. "My Mommy and Daddy said that I was the last one." Tears welled up in the boy's eyes, he looked ready to cry any second.
 
"Hey there, it's OK, shhh," Sonic held the child close. He thought about what he would have wanted said to him when he lost his parents. When he couldn't think of anything, he remembered what Miles had said: "I don't like my name." That was when Sonic noticed Miles's two tails. So it's true he thought he is a Kitsune.
 
"Hey!" Sonic said, he pulled Miles away from him, and held the boy at arm's length.
 
"Yes?" Miles asked.
 
"How's about I call you `Tails', hmm? You like that?"
 
The fox giggled slightly, "Tails," he tried. "I like that!"
 
"Good now come on, lets go, I'm going to take you somewhere you'll be safe."
 
"You won't leave me, will you?" Tails asked, his eyes were pleading.
 
Sonic looked at him and smiled. He shook his head. "I wouldn't leave you for anything in the world, little buddy."
 
"Thank you," Tails said, relieved.
 
Sonic stood from his sitting position, but when Tails tried to follow, he found that he didn't have the strength to stand.
 
"Here you go," Sonic said picking him up. "I'll carry you."
 
"Are you sure? You won't get tired?"
 
"Naw, besides, you're very light, and I've carried heavier things. The place I'm going to take you isn't that far anyway." Sonic said, indifferently.
 
"Thanks Sonic, you're my best friend." Tails said, yawning.
 
"And you're mine," he replied softly.
 
Within minutes Tails had fallen asleep, and was snoring softly. Sonic looked down at him fondly. The poor kid he thought, he's gone through a lot, being a Kitsune. Don't worry, I'll take good care of you. Heh, maybe you'll even be my sidekick someday.
 
Tails sighed softly, and a tear slides down his cheek. He rolls over in Sonic's arms and curls into a ball. He sucks on his thumb.
 
Sonic smiled sadly down at him He's so cute, and tiny, and yet he's strong to. He may be a good fighter someday. He halted then and considered something. After a few seconds he turned and headed towards the forest. You'd better get comfortable kid, he thought, we have a long journey ahead of us. You'd better be rested too. Sonic hesitated as he reached the border of the forest, he turned and gave a long look at the city. Smoke was rising from every alley, people were screaming, Robot lasers were flying everywhere, along with blood. Sonic made up his mind, and stepped determinedly into the forest.
 
We're going to be freedom fighters.
 
`.'
 
***************************************************************** *******
 
`.'
 
Sonic snapped out of the memory and pushed himself to his feet conclusively. He knew what he had to do.
 
He would start his journey, the storm wouldn't stop him, barely anything could. He will stop at Robotnik's place. If he remembers, he would smash whatever search party Eggman has. If he didn't, well…then…he would continue on his way. After he finds the chaos emeralds he will go visit Knuckles, if they hadn't met up yet. Then, somehow, he will find Tails.
 
Sonic's plan was made without caution or thought, Sonic was aware of this, but he figured that he would deal with any problems when they come. Sonic walked to the door, but he stopped as he laid his hand on the knob. After a few seconds he withdrew.
 
I can't go out there! What if Sonia and Manic don't believe my story? Sonic thought. You have to go out there! Another part of him argued. They have to believe you, just look at yourself! And if they don't believe you it's probably better, because then they can't mess things up! You have to find the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic frowned, he knew what the emeralds could do in the wrong hands, and he didn't want to see anything like that ever again …it's a good thing that the moon is whole again.
 
Sonic laid his hand on the knob again.
 
I have to do this.
 
Just as he was about to open the door, an envelope dropped from one of the slots in the door. It hit him smack on the head.
 
"HEY! Who's that? Sonia? Manic? Is this your idea of a practical joke? Jeez, you could have given me a paper cut!" Sonic cried (saying what he knew he would say before he got his memory back), making sure to use a high pitched voice. When he got no reply he reached down and grabbed the letter.
 
Looking closely at it, he found the letter to be made of a strange type of paper. It was soft and felt as though it could bend very easily, although, when he tried, he found the material to be as unrelenting as metal. The envelope itself was a slight bluish color, and from the outside, it looked like any normal piece of paper. Sonic's name was written on the front of the envelope in black. The writer had used a fancy flowing script that must have taken years to perfect.
 
Turning the letter over he found the seal to be of a kind that he had never seen before. It was of a circular shape, and there was a thin golden border around the outer edge. In the middle of the seal was the picture of a bird. The bird was also golden. Around the bird were stars, at first Sonic thought that the stars were colored white, but when he looked closer, he found that the stars were actually tiny holes in the seal. The background of the seal was entirely black, there was no question about that.
 
Sonic found it a shame to break the seal, but after a few seconds his curiosity got the better of him. He reached forward, and with the edge of his thumb, he broke the seal off the letter. Carefully he placed the seal on his desk, he may need it sometime. Turning his attention back to the letter he carefully pulled the paper out of the envelope. To Sonic's surprise, he found that the letter was made out of normal everyday paper. Sonic was wary none the less. He knew that there could still be something dangerous about the letter. He unfolded the paper and saw that it was an ordinary letter, a very neatly written letter, but an ordinary letter none the less. He sighed with relief. Once he started reading the letter however, he found that it was anything but an ordinary letter. As he kept reading, his shock turned to astonishment, which, in turn, turned into disbelieve, that finally ended in suspicion. As he read, his eyes slowly got wider and wider.
 
This is what the letter read:
 
Sonic,
 
Before you proceed any further in this letter you must know that I am not Sonia and I am not Manic. Who I am, is of no concern to you, that I have sent this letter to aid you, however, is. I will not be idle or indirect with what I have to say, since you obviously have important matters at hand which will demand your utmost attention. Sonic, you remember the events that happened on this very date, do you not? Today is the very day that earth was pulled into the Black Hole. You must be wondering how it is that I know of such an event, are you not? The truth of the matter is, Sonic that everyone who was on the Space Colony ARK remembers. This includes Dr. Robotnik. Yes Sonic, while you were sitting idle in your home, daydreaming, Dr. Robotnik has been busy. He has already sent out a search party. They are making incredible progress, considering the weather. At their current speed they are about one day, thirty minutes, and forty-nine point six seconds ahead of you. That is, of course, considering that you set off after them right this second, and travel at your best speed, the way I remember you doing. I have also calculated the dent that the unsteady variable of wind will make on your speed, I have not however, added the extra time that you will take if you are carrying a burden. Sonic, every extra second that you take is one second closer to disaster! You know better than anyone what Dr. Robotnik can do if he lays his hands on those emeralds. Do not let him do it again, you must set out immediately. If however, you are still intent on taking your brother and sister, then I have enclosed a present, that is waiting for you outside your door. Do not reveal yourself to them until the timing is exactly right. Do not worry, you will know when to show them who you really are. You must trust me however, now is not the time. If you must, then there is always the option of sneaking out on your own. Make your decision quickly, for you do not have much time. You must make haste!
 
P.S. As a heart warming piece of news, I am happy to tell you that your little friend: "Tails" is alive and well. He lives with his foster parents, happily and away from trouble.
 
Until we meet again, blue hedgehog. I have, and will, forever aid you, no matter what the cost happens to be. Do not hesitate to stick your head out and call for help when it is needed, for I will always come.
 
A friend you know well.
 
Sonic raised his head slowly after finishing the letter, after a few seconds, he slowly smiled.
 
"Knuckles" he whispered. It has to be him, no one else writes like that, no one else would call me `blue hedgehog' anyway. Sonic reasoned. But then again, he never has called me anything except `nuisance', `annoying brat', and occasionally, `parasite'. Sonic smirked, I guess I really DO get on his nerves a lot. "but still," he thought out loud, "would he really call me `blue hedgehog'? I mean, `recently' we have been on first name terms… but…" Sonic shook his head, his smirk turned into a smile. Heh, Knuckles is capable of calling me anything. I mean, he called me a `poliomyelitis***' before. Not that I know what that means, but… well, it doesn't sound too healthy. I wouldn't put it past him to perfect writing like that either, I mean, what else does he have to do on that island of his in his spare time.
 
Sonic turned the letter over in his hands, looking for a clue that would direct him to who might have sent the letter. To his immense satisfaction, he found it, in the form of a small red hair. "Yes! I knew it!" Sonic exclaimed, proclaiming one of his first `mental' victories over Knuckles. "Now, let's see what you've `enclosed.' "
 
Slowly, and quieter than a mouse, Sonic inched the door of his room open, careful not to alert Sonia or Manic of his presence. He needn't have worried though, they were laughing their heads off at some joke. They're so loud that you'd be able to hear them outside Sonic thought, in the storm, no less.
 
Sonic poked his head out the door, and looked left and right. Not seeing anything out of the ordinary, he looked down.
 
"Ahhhhh…" he said softly, as he saw the cloak on the ground.
 
He knelt down on one knee and raised the cloak so that it was eye level to him. As he observed the cloak, he found the material to be weatherproof. It coated with thick fur on the inside, and on the outside, it looked like some sort of velvet. Sonic took his glove off to test his theory, and found that the inside was soft and furry, just what he had thought. When he moved his hand over the outside though, he felt only 3 centimeters of velvet-like fur. Below that, was a plastic material, that would keep the rain from going through, as well as the snow.
 
Sonic was slightly disappointed that the cloak had plastic in it. He would have preferred getting wet to making all the noise that the plastic will make when he moves around. When he shook the cloak however, he was astonished to hear no sound coming from it. Strange plastic he mused.
 
Sonic stood up and, holding the top of the cloak, he held the cloak out in front of him, looking closely at its full length. About 2 inches would drag on the ground when he wore it, but to Sonic that was probably best. He didn't want anyone to notice him if he was sneaking around, the white of his sneakers would definitely show through if the cloak was any shorter.
 
Sonic moved the cloak from side to side, looking at the cloak as it moved and rippled like silk, this is indeed a great treasure. Sonic was surprised to see that when the cloak moved, it didn't once catch the light, it always remained the same shadowy black color. Your just full of surprises aren't you? He mentally asked the cloak.
 
As he moved to take the cloak inside, he heard a dull `clunk' as something dropped to the ground. Looking below himself, he saw an object on the ground, it must have been lying on the ground on its side, my movement prob'ly made it fall over. He bent over and picked the object up. Ski goggles? What are these for?
 
Sonic entered his room and silently shut the door. Still pondering the ski goggles, he just happened to look up, straight at his own reflection. It was then that he realized. "Of course!" He said, mentally smacking himself (his hands were full), "my eyes…" He tried the goggles on, and after assuring himself that they were a perfect fit, he looked at his reflection. "Hmmm…nice." The goggles hid his eyes completely, you could no longer tell whether he had brown eyes or green eyes, because on the outside, they were tinted.
 
"Cool."
 
Sonic then reached for the cloak, and as he was fastening it he realized that it was not all that heavy, it was actually pretty light.
 
"Ah! What's wrong with this clasp?"
 
He looked down at the clasp, so that he could fasten it, it was then that he saw the design on it. It's the same as the seal. He realized. Indeed it was, the only difference was that the stars were painted silver this time. That's odd, Sonic thought. Knuckles was never one for symbolism. Oh well, It doesn't matter anyway, he's probably trying to trick me or something of the sort. He slid the small metal catch into a thin slit on the side of the clasp, and when he was sure that it held tight, he pulled the hood over his head. Finally, he turned and gazed at his reflection. Uhh! I look like some sort of Mafia person, or worse, some sort of Grim Reaper, all I need now is a scythe and I'm all ready, He thought with a smirk. Ready for one of Sonia's rich costume parties, that is. He added, as an afterthought.
 
Sonic turned, and with his new cloak sweeping the ground behind him, he cleared the space between himself and the door within a second.
 
Here goes nothing, he thought as he reached towards the door, a millimeter away from the door, his hand stopped. Images of Sonia, Manic and himself floated to his mind, coupled with those of Tails, Knuckles, Sally and many others.
 
"No," he whispered. "Here goes everything."
 
><-><-><-><-><-><-><-&g t;<-><-><-><-><
 
!Author Fun Time!
I just want to know, who you think wrote the letter. Knuckles? Or someone else?
Note: I will not reply to this one in the next chapter (c'mon, didja really think I would?)
This is just for me to get a few ideas, and maybe have some fun. (I love reading reviews)
*By the way, for those who want to know why I ended the chapter in the middle of a flashback, well, this note is for you. Surprisingly, I actually wrote part of this chapter earlier (like the end of the flashback). However, the chapter was getting too long to put it all at once. So my sister told me to put the first half up by itself. Then the next half could be the next chapter. So, that's what I did. I spent half an hour trying to decide where to end the chapter, then I decided to end it in the middle of the flashback. I thought that I'll just put the next part up quickly. One other thing, Robot, is what I call the machine, like Mother and Father, the first letter is capital, when you don't know its real name…uhhh… well, at least, that's what I thought. So, if that explains a little, then I'm happy. ^_^
*Also, I have to say, that the best time to write reviews is when you're hyper. Heh, those reviews almost always end up sounding nice (notice, my name is Hyper Shadow ^_^).
*Also, thank you to all those you said nice things (since my last chapter)
(these notes are directed to my *nice* reviewers)
c'mon peoples, it's not THAT hard to review, just click the button at the bottom of the page and write a few words, it's a LOT easier than writing these chapters, believe me (I keep on getting stuck). Also, I may even reply to your review in my next chapter.
*One more thing. Who out there thinks that I should keep adding Last Time notes at the beginning of each chapter? (I need some advice!)
O.O That's a really LONG note! To think, I said that I had nothing to say, at the
beginning of this chapter. -_-'
***For those who do not know, a poliomyelitis is an inflammation of the spine, at least, that's what my dictionary said.
~TBC~