Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories, Reborn Evil ❯ Hearing Things? ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Lost Memories, Reborn Evil------------------- By Hyper Shadow, Now known as Shadow in the Dark
*The FKA in the summary stands for "Formally Known As…" I hated the '2' at the end of my name, so I changed it..
All right after more than half a year, I have returned! *Insert spooky ghost music, interrupted only by loud "BOO'S" and lots of flying tomatoes*
HEY! *Now covered in tomatoes* awww… look, guys… I am REALLY sorry… *backs away as angry readers advance with flaming torches*
I really do have good reasons… oh wait, no I don't…heh.
Well, I had horrid exams and stuff, but I guess there was the whole "summer holiday" deal, so that isn't really an excuse anymore…uh…
OK to tell you the truth guys, I've just been having a really busy life, plus writer's block is EVIL! You can understand that right? silence RIGHT? crickets chirping NO! All my readers have left me! Come on guys I'm really sorry,…can't you forgive me? … Please?
Anyway, here is the next chapter, hope all you guys had a great summer, and remember, avoid writer's block like the plague!
NOTE: I have decided to add Sonic Adventure into the story (the one with Perfect Chaos). Also, if you haven't already noticed, I have changed the prologue to incorporate this game, as well, I have made minor changes to some other chapters. Most are fixed spelling, however, there is one thing, in the flashback, I said that Sonic was 8 right? Well, when he met Tails, I meant to call him 4 (8 in human years) and Tails was 2 (4 in human years) All right, I hope you all got that. Also, if there are any other spelling errors (even if I said "for" instead of "of") don't hesitate to tell me (man, I am DESPERATE for reviews…)
 
ON TO THE STORY!
 
 
Italics: Thoughts
 
>>IMPORTANT<<
 --- : this mark separates two parts of the chapter, the chapter starts, then continues in the view of two characters. After the two characters talk a bit there is this line,---, and the story goes back a bit (it is mentioned how far when you get there) to retell the proceedings in the view of another character… did you get that? I hope so…
>>IMPORTANT<<
 
 
 
Chapter 5- "Hearing things?"
 
<->-<->-<->-<->
LAST TIME
<->-<->-<->-<->
 
Robotnik, you are not getting those emeralds.
I am back, and I'm going to bring you down.
Knuckles… Tails… I'm coming.
I know you're out there. Somewhere.
I will find you.
But I have made my choice.
I will never change a thing.
 
 
<->-<->-<->-<->
NOW
<->-<->-<->-<->
 
Night had fallen.
 
Sonic, Manic and Sonia had set camp under a rocky outcrop, it wasn't a cave, but it still sheltered them fairly well from the rain, which was still coming down in sheets.
 
Sonic stood, nearest to the wall, his back to his siblings as he surveyed their sanctuary. Not much, he surmised. Grass grew on the ground, and moss dotted the crevasses in the wall of rock. That was all. There was nothing more, nothing less, however, the area was also dry, not one drop leaked through the "roof" It's not great Sonic mused but it's not bad either, I've been in worse, he reasoned.
 
While Sonic gazed around himself, lost in thought, Manic had Sonia's hat in his hands, and was holding it out in front of himself, upside down, while he stood at the edge of the outcrop. Sonia herself, was too busy staring at herself in awe to notice her missing hat.
 
"Sonic, you were right! I can't believe it, I didn't get a drop of water on me!" Sonia said, while she shook her hair out and continuously combed her fingers through it. Sonic turned to answer her, but as he did, he noticed someone moving behind her.
 
"HA!" Manic yelled as he overturned the water-filled hat over Sonia, promptly soaking her. "GOTCHA!"
 
"AH!" Sonia screamed, then, in a flash, she had spun around, flicking her semi-wet hair rather painfully into Manic's face. She advanced on him, shaking her fist in his face. "Why you little-! Why I oughta-! I am going to KILL you!" Manic backed away, with a slightly nervous grin on his face, his hands up in defense.
 
"Heh, heh… I didn't mean anything, honest…heh…er…Sonia?"
 
Sonia looked livid, as she continued to advance on Manic. All of a sudden, she swooped down, and scooped something up,
 
"Uh, Sonia? What do you have there? What are you doing? Can I see?" Manic asked, looking nervous, he had a small weak smile as he attempted to make light of the situation.
 
Sonia grinned then, and stretched out her hand, smearing the wet mud she had picked up all over Manic, who yelled in shock and protest.
 
Sonia stood back then a smug grin on her face, and her arms crossed, surveying her job well done. She may be covered in water, but she had gotten back, that mud would take days to clean out of his spikes. She was surprised, however, when Manic grinned through the mud, slowly wiping it off his face.
 
"What's so funny?" She questioned, frowning.
 
Manic gave her a toothy grin, then laughed. "I never thought I'd see the day!!!"
 
"Whaaat?" She said again, annoyed, dragging out the world in a very unladylike fashion.
 
Manic gave her a bemused expression, noticing her tone, then said. "If I'm not mistaken, you just snatched up a very big quantity of disease-ridden, horrible, disgusting, slimy mud that you swore you'd never touch."
 
Sonia, realizing this, immediately unfolded her arms, and proceeded to shake her hand out, much to the amusement of Manic, who was doubling over, laughing.
 
"Eww! Gross! I can't believe I just did that!" Sonia shouted, with a disgusted expression.
 
Manic just continued laughing.
 
All of a sudden, Sonia's eyes snapped to Manic, she then walked over to him and proceeded to wipe her hand on him..
 
"H-He-Hey-y…" Manic stuttered between his gasping for breath. "What are you doing?"
 
"Cleaning my hand, what does it look like?"
 
Manic gave her a mock-offended look, then grinned evilly
 
There was a second of silence, and then…
 
Manic tossed a glob of muck and dirt at her.
 
Sonia gasped then stumbled backwards, clawing at the dirt that 'tarnished' her raincoat. She then looked up at Manic giving him a death glare. "Oh, you are soo going to get it now…"
 
Manic was laughing again.
 
She cried out in frustration, then launched herself at Manic, ready to claw, scratch, tickle or whatever, it didn't matter, as long as she hurt him.
 
She saw herself falling, she would have landed on him-
 
-if someone hadn't grabbed her arms first.
 
She gasped, as she was pulled back and onto her feet. Manic looked up in surprise also, no longer laughing.
 
Sonia looked back at the one who had grabbed her.
 
"What-"
 
"Shush! Quiet!"
 
"Sonic?" Questioned Manic. "What are you-"
 
"Be quiet, will you!" Manic looked at Sonic in shock, and Sonia, whose arms were finally free, stepped back from the cloaked figure.
 
There was a second of silence, then Sonic's harsh whisper cut into the silence.
 
"I think I heard something"
 
-----
 
When Sonic had seen something dark sneak up on Sonia, his hand had shot out on reflex. It wavered then paused when he had realized that it was only Manic playing a joke.
 
With a frown of irritation, Sonic had quickly covered his gloved hand again; the light that radiated from the jewels of his bounce and fire bracelets once again safely concealed within the inky black folds of the stranger's cloak.
 
He had almost blown his cover.
 
If either Sonia or Manic had seen his bracelets, they would have immediately have asked where he had acquired such treasures, such things did not come cheap, and he could not just say he 'picked them up' such stories would not be believed.
 
It would all have gone downhill from there.
 
Especially since the true stories were even crazier.
 
Honestly, Sonic thought, quietly giving a dark chuckle, who would believe that I got this, he fingered that small air mask around his neck, from a seemingly nonexistent race of echidnas? He paused then, thinking of the reactions.
 
"What are you talking about?" This would be Sonia, "I have studied history and culture for as long as I can remember, Echidnas died out thousands of years ago. Honestly Sonic, if you don't know, then just don't say anything, making up stories like that really put your intelligence down, and even that's saying something…"
 
"Echidnas, huh?" A typical Manic response, answer a question with another question, all the while speaking bluntly, tactlessly almost. "What's an Echidna? Never heard of 'em. Are you sure you got your facts right Sonic? Didn't eat too many chilidogs again did you?…"
 
The idle thoughts almost made Sonic laugh, almost. He had had a strange nagging feeling in the back of his mind since they had set out. The feeling had made him slightly on edge, looking backwards at odd times, and often double-tracking when he had been running. He had felt as thought he was being watched, and more than anything, he wished he had Knuckles' wisdom at this time. The Echidna had extremely sharp senses, being able to pinpoint the cause of any disturbance in the air. It was almost as if the older one had a sixth-sense for danger.
 
I guess that's what comes from sitting on an island in solitude for your entire life, Sonic mused idly.
 
It was slightly painful to think about Knuckles, the change in time had effected Sonic himself so drastically, he could only imagine what had happened to Knuckles…and Tails.
 
This is what Sonic hated the most. He hated not knowing something, even if it was something trivial, like what they would have for dinner, the not knowing had always hit a nerve in Sonic.
 
I wonder why…
 
Before he could fall deeper into his thoughts, Sonic pulled himself out, and stared at Sonia and Manic. At the moment, Sonia was advancing on Manic, a strange glint in her eye.
 
Sonic knew this look, it was the look he always had when he was thinking of a particularly evil way of making Tails laugh.
 
Tails…
 
He remembered how he used to be the only one who could make to young kitsune laugh. Only him, the poor kid was always so depressed after what happened to his parents…
 
What happened to you Tails?
 
Sonic sighed, dwelling on these thoughts would not help him or anyone else. They had stopped long enough, Sonia and Manic should be ready to run again, it didn't take that long to recover from Sonic's running.
 
As Sonic walked forward, he saw Sonia trying to shake the mud off her hand.
 
He opened his mouth to speak,
 
Then closed it with a snap in shock.
 
What was that?
 
…Snap…
 
…A twig…
 
Manic laughed as Sonia attempted to shake off the mud.
 
…Clank…
 
…Metal feet…
 
Sonia walked over to Manic. A second later came his voice in protest
 
…Voices, beeping…
 
…Robots…
 
Sonia's voice came, smug, triumphant and loud.
 
…Footsteps, more clanking…
 
…A battle…not far…
 
There was silence then, just for a second
 
…"Dammit--…-can't--…--forever-…--lucky--& #8230;--didn't notice--…--dead"
 
…I know that voice! It's…
 
Sonia shouted
 
"No…" Sonic hissed, barely audible.
 
He had lost it, that voice, he knew it, but who?
 
Sonic strode angrily over to Sonia, and yanked her roughly backwards, as she made to jump on Manic.
 
"What-" She started, but Sonic cut here off angrily, not really knowing what he said, just making sure she was quiet.
 
He listened, for something. Anything
 
Silence.
 
Manic then tried to interrupt, but Sonic, not hearing the comment clearly, rudely interrupted and told him to shut it.
 
"Be quiet, will you!"
 
Again he listened
 
Silence.
 
Nothing, whoever it was, was gone now. He had missed his chance, it was only then that he saw the strange looks Manic and Sonia were directing at him.
 
"I think I heard something" was his plain and simple answer.
 
Sonic spun on his heel, noting quietly, that at some point he had released Sonia, and made his way silently over to the edge of their shelter, the ever-present cloak dragging behind him. Sonic sat at the edge of the area protected by the overhang and pulled his cloak tightly around himself, making sure he hide his 'new' soap shoes, with their light speed upgrade.
 
A few moments passed in silence…
 
"D-do y-you know what you h-heard?" Sonia stuttered nervously, very unlike herself.
 
Sonic noted this with some surprise, Sonia was hardly ever off-balance like that, under normal circumstances of course. He must have really scared them to make, Sonia of all people, cautious around him.
 
For a split second, Sonic considered listening to the letter-writer's words, and leaving Sonia and Manic. He would be able to travel quicker, and he wouldn't have to worry about hurting them in any way-
 
As soon as the idea was thought, it was stomped on. He could not leave Sonia and Manic, they were his brother and sister! If he left, then what would happen if they got caught by Robotnik? Also, what had he meant by 'not hurting them'? If he left, their feelings if nothing else of course get hurt simply because he deserted them.
 
Sonic realized that he had been hesitating in answering Sonia, so he looked down to the ground and immediately said
 
"No, I don't, there was too much noise to determine who the voice I heard was."
 
"Oh,"
 
The guilt, sadness and regret so thick in her voice that Sonic cringed inwardly. He had caused that feeling.
 
"Look" he said, while staring up and into Sonia's violet eyes. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to get upset, it was just that the voice I heard sounded familiar, I was probably wrong anyway. I didn't mean to hurt you or yell at you, all right? Again I'm sorry, will you forgive me?"
 
Getting yelled at by Sonic was almost as rare as getting an apology, not to mention a beg for forgiveness, and for a second all Sonia could do was gape at him, she took a few seconds to recover, and in that time, Manic had answered Sonic.
 
"Of course we forgive you! Everyone loses control at some point or the other, what kind of siblings would we be if we didn't forgive you?"
 
Sonic gave them a grateful smile, then, upon realizing that it was invisible underneath his cloak, muttered a low, "Thank you, guys."
 
For a minute, there was silence. No one made eye contact with each other, and the air with thick with tension, until finally someone decided to break the ice:
 
"So, Sonia, you ever think of changing your hair color?"
 
Sonia answered with a startled, "What?!"
 
Sonic was guessing that she was shocked at the drastic change of subject, judging by the priceless expression on her face, of course, he was too, but that was harder to notice underneath the folds of the cloak. He noticed that while Sonia looked shocked, Manic had a self-satisfied smirk on his face.
 
Manic then heaved a dramatic sigh, then smiled and said: "Your hair, it looks great all brown like that, you should consider dying it!"
 
Sonic laughed at the totally out-of-the-blue comment, and was surprised to see Sonia smirk.
 
"What about you, Manic? Your head's a pigsty on feet, why not dye it brown to complete the look?"
 
Sonic smirked then added his own comment: "I don't see the point in either of you spending good money to dye your hair, since you've already done such a great job of dirtying yourselves up, I wouldn't be surprised if that muck never came off!"
 
Sonic saw Sonia and Manic visibly relax with his comment, and was relieved when he heard then laugh softly, he guessed they were just hoping he would put his own word in. It was a somewhat silent agreement that what had happened was over with, and that it was all forgiven.
 
Manic and Sonia then proceeded to engage in a quiet, but hearty argument about their individual choices of hair color.
 
Sonic watched then silently, then smiled a small smile to himself. I never really appreciated Manic's ability to talk his way out of a mess, or in this case, shatter the tense atmosphere. I guess I take these two too much for granted, Sonia is an amazing diplomatist, and Manic can make anyone crack a smile. I guess I really do need them around.
 
He sat for awhile, brooding on the voice he had heard, Manic and Sonia were so deep in their conversation, that had somehow switched to hair products ("I do NOT use your gel or spray" Manic tried to convince a smirking Sonia).
 
I wish Tails was here, Sonic thought, His sense of hearing, smell, and sight are amazing, surely he would have been able to identify the stranger's sent, or voice. Sonic sighed then leaned his head back onto the wall, so that he was looking upwards at an angle. He watched the rain pouring outside, waiting for the darkness of night to settle in, so that he could go scouting. Their plan (his and his siblings) had been to stay here for the night, however, Sonic never, ever sat still for long, so he had made a personal plan to run ahead while it was dark. He would come back before dawn, he only wanted to look before he leapt into an unknown area with two tag-a-longs. He knew he would never have done this before he had gotten his memory back "Act before you think" that had been his motto, along with the old: "Let's 'jam and 'juice!" Heh, that's why he was waiting for complete darkness, by that time, Manic and Sonia would have long fallen asleep.
 
He still wasn't ready to let his cover go, even though the need was getting bigger, he had realized that when he had shushed Manic and Sonia, something he NEVER would have done, in their mind.
 
He had been close, very close to telling them that he had changed, however, the letter-writer's words had held him back "you will know when to show them who you really are". What does that mean? Sonic had gone over the words over and over, however he still didn't know what that particular sentence was referring to. However, he did know one thing.
 
It wasn't time yet.
 
All of a sudden, he noticed that the camp had gotten a lot quieter, and curiosity won over as he snapped he attention back to his twins.
 
As he watched, he saw Sonia attempting to salvage her hairstyle, while Manic hung his coat on the wall, his gaze then fell on the fading light of the sun, in a few minutes it would be completely dark.
 
I guess it's kind of late to eat, besides we ate a couple of hours ago, when we stopped at a fruit tree…Sonic told them this, and after getting a few stares, he added: "We can get a big, chilidog breakfast tomorrow." After noticing that they accepted this explanation, he told them to settle in for the night, noting with some humor the rather disgusted looks, probably from him "wanting" chilidogs for breakfast, of all things.
 
Oh well, I guess one good thing came from my memories, I no longer crave food, hmph, they should be happy after I tell them, considering the don't kill me for neglecting to mention my "odd" behavior/appearance beforehand…
 
Sonic slide further into his cloak, finding a place where he was comfortable, then waited and watched the rising light of the moon, soon to be completely obscured by storm clouds. He was entirely oblivious to the other two's process of bedding down for the night, only interested in he rhythm of the breathing that followed. He waited for the steady breathing that would come when his siblings drifted off to sleep.
 
Before it came though, a voice pierced the darkness
 
"Sonic," Manic started, conversationally.
 
"Yeah?" asked Sonic, cautiously, hoping that whatever the younger had to say wouldn't take all night.
 
"How did you know we wouldn't get wet?"
 
Another weird question, Sonic thought. Doesn't he ever ask normal questions? However, he remembered Sonia's earlier comment on how she was dry, and knew what Manic was talking about.
 
I've never actually taken them for a run in the rain before have I? He realized knowing that they must be wondering how, if he never ran in the rain, the rain would be 'magically' repelled from the trio.
 
Sonic knew he couldn't tell them of past experience leading up to the realization that rain avoided him when he ran, however, in his new life, he had actually never ran in the rain. Sonic knew that his answer would have to be vague, however, it would also had to have a certain finality, so that no more conversations could continue. It was almost pitch black outside, the perfect time for scouting, he did not want to pass up this opportunity.
 
After a moment of deliberation, he decided to strike as close to the truth as he could, without telling stories.
 
"I've had lots of practice, and if there's anything I know, It's my own speed." He spoke slowly and quietly, trying to get his point across. He must have, because after that no other word was said, save a couple whispered "goodnights".
 
An hour later, silence once again encompassed the camp broken only by two pairs of quiet snores.
 
All of a sudden, in the corner of the camp, then was a small ruffling sound, and in the smallest corner of the camp, something smooth and dark fell to the ground silently, the only noise being a sharp "clink" of metal on rock. The sound of the clasp was quickly muffled, the cloak was then left on the ground, but was soon joined by a pair of goggles, which landed neatly, and silently on the bundle.
 
Slowly, a pair of bright, jade-green eyes opened, blinked once, and were gone in a flurry of shadowed dark-blue spikes.
 
It's time to do a little hunting…
 
`.'
<.><.><.><.><.><.><.>&n bsp;
AND THAT'S IT!!!!!!
Chapter 5 for all you lucky readers out there, a well as an updated version of almost every chapter. Yeah, I know you are probably all disappointed in the lack of a battle scene, especially since I *did* promise action…. er…yeah, you see, I can't really explain that, I did mention a battle, the only thing was that the chapter was originally going to be a lot longer…
You see, I didn't expect to write the exchange between Sonic, Sonia and Manic in two different views, however, the fic kinda wrote itself, so, uhh, the real action part will be in the next chapter.
Anyway, that's all for now! Get ready for the next chapter which, >I'll give you a teaser< stars the DARK FIGURE!!!! WHOO HOO!!!! GO DARK FIGURE!!!!! Yeah! Uhhh…. heh, I didn't sound as bad as I think I did, did I? Hello?
*crickets chirping*
*a bush rolls by*
HELLO?!?!?!
**** plz review? *puppy dog eyes* I'll be nice and get the next chapter out quicker…****
 
~TBC