Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories, Reborn Evil ❯ Truth, Deception and Truthful Lies ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Lost Memories, Reborn Evil
 
Sholay
 
Wow, now this IS a surprise isn't it? I don't believe any of you out there believed that I would return and to be quite honest, I struggled with the notion of dropping this story myself.
 
I started this story when I was 13. Four years have passed since then and nothing about me has changed so much as my writing style… at least, that would be my opinion. As a reason for not continuing this story, well the only possible reason (not excuse) would be that life finally decided to pick up its ball and chain and whack me around the head. I survived High School, got into University and had to make some life changing decisions as well as deal with the various problems that exist in daily life.
 
After two years without an update, is it really any surprise that I was considering quitting? I had no idea where this was going, I still don't, and I wondered if it would be kinder to all you wonderful, supportive reviewers (yes, even the one who punched me in the nose) to just simply lay this to rest. But then I read it again, and I realized that I really do like this story, and would be proud to finish it (no matter how long it may take).
 
What really helped me though, was seeing that even after so long; even after the blatant HOLD which was slowing turning into a DISCONTINUED, I still received two reviews, and am still on a select few's favorites list.
 
So, (raises wine glass) here's to you, the guiding hands that finally helped this one pick herself up off the dusty floor:
 
Skittles the Sugar Fairy, Xylin, Rock_Fox, Kinda-Mayvelle, Blazin Shadow, Shatterstrike and windflame
 
And, of course, those from MediaMiner: xoknucklesxoand mania_the_hedgehog
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Sonic.
 
(takes a sip of her pepsi) Here we go.
 
Chapter 7: "Truth, Deception and Truthful Lies”
 
`><,'><,'><,'><,'><,
 
LAST TIME
 
`><,'><,'><,'><,'><,
 
Standing slowly, and dragging the pole he used to skewer the other robot with him, he walked painfully towards the E-900, his arm trailing blood the entire way. Slowly he pulled himself into the vision of the fallen robot. He paused as he felt the failing scanners attempt to look him over.
"Unidentified… Unidentified… unidentified" the robot beeped uselessly. "… iden-tify…"
The figure paused for a second, then smirked as an old memory of his first meeting with a certain blue hedgehog resurfaced.
"My name is Shadow. I am the world's ultimate lifeform."
He then thrust his pole through the face screen or the robot. Without another word, he turned and fled, his fluttering white scarf just disappearing into the darkness as a pair of green eyes opened not too far away.
 
`><,'><,'><,'><,'><,
NOW
`><,'><,'><,'><,'><,
 
"Augh!"
 
CLANG
 
"Ow!"
 
Sonic had been searching for a good few hours by now and he still hadn't found anything of importance. In fact, the only thing he had managed to stumble across were a few destroyed robots. It wasn't uncommon to find robotic parts strewn across the plantation, especially this close to Robotropolis. Robotnik constantly discarded old and useless robots, and since he had no place to put them he usually threw the remains into the surrounding area.
 
In an attempt to vent his anger he had lashed out at one of the heaps of metal. Now, in addition to his fuming brain, he had a throbbing foot.
 
Great, I come out here to find my stalker and all I get is a bunch of trashed robots…
 
Wait a minute…
 
Sonic peered at the robot closest to him, a vicious looking monster with 12-inch claws to match. The robot didn't look old at all. Sonic would have even gone so far as to say that it was completely new. It was at that moment that he began noticing certain details about the robot that the darkness had obscured before.
 
These 'certain details' included a large hole in the robot's midsection.
 
"Hmm…" Sonic knelt and brushed the metal with his fingertips.
 
It seems as though my stalker left me a present.
 
Sonic stood once more, fresh conviction shining in his eyes. He hadn't found what he had been looking for, but he had found the next best thing. He was positive now that Knuckles, being his normal anti-social self, had not wanted to show himself to Sonic. Instead the incorrigible Echidna preferred to follow the group from the shadows.
 
He must have seen the group of robots heading this way, and instead of worrying us he took care of them himself. He really is a good friend… wait, did he think that me, Manic and Sonia were too weak to handle these robots ourselves?!
 
Sonic was a bit peeved at this thought, but pushed it away by reasoning that he could always get Knuckles back later.
 
I could just tell everyone that he has a crush on Amy. Sonic thought, while restraining himself from smiling wickedly and rubbing his hands together in an imitation of Robotnik during one of his insane rampages.
 
After a few seconds of thoughtful daydreaming, Sonic pulled himself out of his thoughts and returned his attention to what he now saw as a battlefield.
 
"Hm", he said again "Let's see if we can find out just what happened here…"
 
Sonic whisked around the scene lightly, stepping over the strange dark spots that he assumed were oil. He inspected everything and sometimes crawled on all fours, hands spread in front oh himself, feeling the ground.
 
"Let's see, Knuckles was here, then he rolled over there, and the robot was… here, here and here? No, that's not right. There were how many robots? One, two, three… Woah!"
 
At this moment, Sonic's eyes fell on the E-900.
 
"What is that?"
 
He swept his eyes over the monster. That was when he noticed the blood. Eyes widening, and breath catching in his throat, Sonic quickly scanned the area and realized that what he had at first dismissed as oil was actually the blood of one of his best friends.
 
"You did all that so they wouldn't see us Knuckles… you fool." The insult was empty though and even as he said it his eyes shone with worry. New respect for Knuckles washed over him as he realized the Echidna had not only taken out six robots while he and his siblings were enjoying themselves, but for doing it while he was injured.
 
Looking around himself, Sonic noticed that there was still a few things that didn't make sense. The robots were fairly spaced out in their resting places, despite the fact that each one had obviously fallen only seconds apart from each other, considering they were all warm. Robots cooled down just minutes after they were defeated, Sonic had found this out when he had attempted to start a campfire from a wire off a robot. As well, the blood spots were widely spaced, despite the fact that the wound had obviously been a deep one, according to the amount of blood on the spear of the E-900. In order to manage to do all this Knuckles would have had to have moved extremely fast.
 
Almost as fast as me…
 
There was also one other suspicious thing about the field. Sonic had noticed a flattened area in the moss covered with what he had at that time thought was oil. Now he realized that the oil was not oil but blood instead. That means that Knuckles had landed there. But that couldn't be.
 
Why?
 
The area surrounding the moss was completely unmarred.
 
Before, Sonic had assumed that a robot had landed there, leaked a little, then flew out of the moss, because the only way someone could move away from that spot without making any prints around it would have been by flying.
 
Admittedly, Knuckles could glide, but that wasn't reasonable, considering the fact that he'd just been speared by a robot.
 
It was as though Knuckles had just disappeared off the face of the earth for a few seconds only to reappear next to the E-900.
 
Oh well, I guess I'll have to ask him about it later.
 
It was getting late and Sonic was getting bored trying to comprehend things that made not sense. Thinking had never been his specialty. In the past he always left those types of things to Sally, Tails and Knuckles. Now, in the present, he left them to Sonia, always preferring instead to act first and deal the problems as they arrive.
 
Heh, I guess some things really don't change.
 
Sonic headed back to his camp silently.
 
Tomorrow we arrive at Robotropolis. I have to be careful now and take more notice of my surroundings. I doubt that Knuckles is willing to take another hit like that for me. I just wish that he would show up so I could SEE how bad the wound is, maybe even bandage it. Heh, who am I kidding, Knuckles always was and always will be a loner, I don't think he'd be able to handle all the attention. It's not like I'd be able to find him on my own though, the guy's like a shadow when he puts his mind to it…
 
So lost was he in his thoughts that he failed to notice a small metal, disk-like floating robot fly away from the scene, it's red light flashing with what would have been considered excitement, had the robot been alive.
 
~The Next Day~
 
"Ack! My hair!"
 
"Ahh! Sonia, watch where you stomp! That was my foot!"
 
"Sigh."
 
The three triplets were having an extremely slow start this day, even though they had woken up over an hour ago. The day itself was beautiful. The sun was shinning brightly in the wake of last day's rain, as though it was apologizing for not coming out the day before. The grass and tress glittered with raindrops and the air was thick and heavy with humidity. All in all it was a day that appealed to the laziest part of a person.
 
In spite of all this, Sonic had gotten, quoting his old self, a "major reality check" the last day and he wasn't about to give Robotnik the chance to sneak up on him again. They were too close to Robotropolis for his liking, and he wanted to get past it as soon as possible. He needed no more proof from Robotnik of the return of his past life's memory. The advanced technology of the E-900 he saw the night before had been enough proof.
 
Maybe even too much proof. Sonic thought worriedly, as he watched Sonia fight with her hair and Manic hop around on one foot. I don't like thinking of all the damage Robotnik could do if he managed to create a monster like that in one day. If Knuckles had trouble bringing him down, a city of poor mobians won't stand a chance against that hunk of metal.
 
Is it possible that `buttnik has become the smart genius he was in my time? But even the Robotnik of my time would not have been able to create these monsters in such a short time. This…mad genius of the past and the `buttnik of the present are completely different. He changed much more than I did with the time change, but why?
 
These thoughts were irrelevant and unimportant though, and Sonic shook his head to dispel them. It would do no good to find out how the problem was created, all that mattered is that there IS a problem and now he had to fix it by finding the chaos emeralds. The past didn't matter, only the present did.
 
but if we had known Shadow's past sooner…
 
"Sonia! Manic! Are you two ready yet? We have to go!" Sonia and Manic frowned at the cloaked figure of their brother. First he had ruined their fun yesterday. Second, uncharacteristically woken both of them up EARLY! Now he was unusually eager to start off, without breakfast. Again!
 
They exchanged glances then Sonia stepped forward, not having succeeded in fixing her hair, the disheveled look made her a little, if not very intimidating. Sonic didn't flinch though; with his new found knowledge he found that there are many things in life scarier then a peeved sister. None the less, he could not fight his instinct to flinch slightly, preparing himself for the worst.
 
"Listen, Sonic. I know you're always eager to kick Robotnik's butt, god knows Manic and I are too, but there is something wrong here. Manic and I aren't stupid Sonic, we noticed right from the beginning. We just chose not to say anything."
 
"There were only small things at first, you know." Sonic's hooded head turned ever so slightly to face Manic, who's calm, quiet voice had interrupted Sonia's steadily rising tone. "Little things… like your not being hungry, or like you being more quiet then usual-"
 
"But last night was over the top." Sonia cut in, and Sonic who had seen this coming sighed mentally.
 
This was wasting too much time.
 
"Look, I apologized for that-" he began, but was quickly cut off.
 
"Yes," said Sonia, "but it's not just that. You're not acting like yourself! You… wake us all up early, you don't eat and you brood too much! What's wrong with you? Did you get turned into a robot or something?" Sonia's voice had now reached an alarming pitch just shy of a yell and she had begun to wave her arms about erratically.
 
Sonic started. He had not been expecting that. Manic, sensing Sonic's reaction quickly tried to calm Sonia.
 
"Sonia-".
 
"No, Manic. We have a right to know what's going on, and if he is a robot, then it's obvious he wasn't completely turned, I mean, he still has his free will. We can help him!"
 
"Sonia-".
 
"-And if he HASN'T been turned into a robot then I want to know why he continues to wear that damn cloak!"
 
Sonic was honestly surprised; he hadn't expected his siblings to react this strongly. Maybe he should have told them about the change sooner. But then again, if he had, they may have thought he was an imposter… The question now though, was: should he tell them the truth now?
 
"Sonia, I don't think we should force him-"
 
"We have a right to know! I mean, don't you even wonder what he has under there? It didn't even come off during the rain and wind yesterday!"
 
This was true, Sonic realizes and he gripped the clasp of the cloak, the hood hadn't slipped once. It truly was a special gift.
 
"Sonia… Manic…"
 
The words were soft and hardly audible, but they had the desired effect. Both brother and sister halted their bantering to stare at Sonic.
 
"Look, I admit, something has changed."
 
"Ha!" Cried Sonia triumphantly, "I was right!"
 
Manic was more concerned about Sonic, "what has changed, Sonic? You're not-"
 
"No, Manic." Sonic spoke in the same quiet voice. "Here, I'll prove it."
 
Sonic slowly undid the clasp at his throat and swept off the cloak, gathering the folds on his left arm. He then pulled off the goggles.
 
Chuck Knuckles' warning, I know what I'm doing, and after what I saw last night I'm more sure than ever of this. We can't afford any more delays, and if this will make them move faster, then so be it. I trust my family, and if anyone deserves to know the truth, they do.
 
Sonia and Manic stared at him, slack jawed, in shock. The differences, though slight, were monumental to those who knew Sonic as well as they did.
 
"Sonic!?" They both cried in unison, there was no way this tall, cobalt blue hedgehog with bottle green eyes, carrying himself with the pale aura of quiet determination was their immature, slouching, thick-headed older brother.
 
“No way!”
 
“Who are you—”
 
“And what have you done to our twin?!”
 
“Give him back—”
 
“Now—”
 
“Or we'll use force!”
 
Sonic smiled slightly, if he had been in any other situation, his brother and sister's reactions would have been funny. Honestly, this was probably the first time he had ever seen them backing each other, now they were finishing each other's sentences!
 
"What happened to you?" Asked Sonia, Manic remained quiet.
 
"Well it's a long story…" He answered truthfully, shrugging.
 
"We have time."
 
"No actually, we don't. Listen, I know you want to know what's going on, but I can't tell you yet." Sonic, seeing Sonia getting ready to protest raised a hand. "Wait, I really do know what I'm doing, and you need to trust me, please. I can't explain it, but I just know that I can't tell you anything yet. I know I look a lot different, but I'm still me and you must to believe that… at least for a little longer." He added to himself.
 
“Prove it.” Was Manic's quiet ultimatum.
 
Sonic took a breath. Right, well they asked for it. “Ok, so you remember when I showed you that picture of my Uncle Chuck, right?”
 
They both nodded.
 
“Well… Sonia, before you knew who he was you asked me, and I quote:” Sonic took on a mock falsetto “'Oh Sonic! Who's the cute guy you're next to? He looks a little old, but I like older men!—'”
 
“Ok! Stop right there!” Sonia cut through Sonic's reiteration loudly, her face burning with embarrassment.
 
Sonic did stop and stared at her with an insufferable grin, while Manic looked at Sonia with something in between horror and amusement. “You …what?” He choked.
 
Oh, you're next. Sonic thought mischievously. “Oh and Manic, remember that night at the city Pergionne where that… weasel right?… What was his name?” Sonic paused dramatically, letting Manic remember exactly what night he was talking about. Sure enough, after a few seconds, Manic's eyes widened palpably. “Ohh yes,” Sonic tapped his mouth with two fingers. “I remember, Dino. Yes, he was so drunk he rather thought your dreadlocks feminine, and rather attract—
 
“ALRIGHT!” Manic interjected loudly, while Sonia meanwhile pressed Sonic to continue (“I never heard this story!”) “I believe you!” Manic stressed, looking pointedly at Sonia, “Cause that was the whole point, right? To see if it's really him?”
 
“Oh… ” Sonia deflated. “Right.”
 
“Don't worry.” Sonic leaned down to whisper into Sonia's ear behind Manic's back. “I'll tell you the whole story later.” Sonia brightened considerably after this, and Sonic chuckled, then continued, “You do believe me now, right?” His tone, was light, but still held a hint of worry.
 
"I… do, I guess." Sonia answered hesitantly.
 
“Good.” Sonic sighed. “Then we can go.”
 
"I guess.” Sonia repeated. “I'm going to comb my hair first though. I'll be ready in a couple of minutes."
 
"Thanks." Sonic said earnestly, to both of them, for believing in me. They might joke around, but Manic and Sonia really we the best sibs a guy could have.
 
Sonia walked quickly away to groom, and silence reigned under the outcrop. Sonic and Manic were left staring at each other. Sonic was starting to feel a little uneasy under Manic's guarded gaze.
 
"Manic?" He questioned the shorter hedgehog.
 
"Sonic," started the other "-you said something to me the other day. You told me that this journey of yours will bring us closer to finding Mother. Were you telling the truth?"
 
Sonic felt as though someone had squeezed his heart. He REALLY hadn't been expecting that question. Somehow though, he knew what to say.
 
"You know what Manic? I wasn't lying to you. I do think this journey may help us find Mother. I just need you to wait and hold on a little longer, can you do that, for me?” Sonic waited breathlessly for Manic to answer him. He hoped that he hadn't said anything wrong.
 
The green hedgehog was looking downwards, and a few tense seconds passed between them. Then, Manic raised his head and to Sonic's relief there was a smile on it.
 
"Yeah, I guess that's cool Sonic. I trust ya." He said slowly, the smile faded a little. “You better not be jerking me around on this one, ok bro? This is serious.”
 
Sonic let out a breath he hadn't know he was holding in. "It took you long enough!” Sonic then caught Manic's eyes with his own and held them. “Trust me. I know what I'm doing, you know I wouldn't joke about this.”
 
"Yeah, well it's not every day one of your two closest relatives shows up half a foot taller than he was the day before!"
 
"Is that the only difference?" Sonic asked feigning shock.
 
"It's the only redeeming one."
 
"HEY!"
 
"Come on boys, we have some bad guy beating to do!" Sonia said suddenly, interrupting what probably would have ended up in a mud fight.
 
Sonic pulled away from Manic and the smile dropped off his face as he remembered the gravity of the situation. They had to get those emeralds before Mecha did!
 
"Sonia's right. We've got to go. There's only one more thing though. Neither of you can mention my changes to ANYONE. OK?"
 
Sonia and Manic exchanged glances over Sonic's sudden change in mood, but they trusted his decision, so they nodded. Sonic was satisfied with their answer and quickly replaced his cloak and goggles.
 
A few minutes later the rocky outcrop was nothing more than a speck of darkness in the distance.
 
As he ran, Sonic couldn't help but ponder over the day's events. He couldn't understand why Knuckles had wanted him to keep his appearance a secret, though he assumed that Knuckles must have thought Sonia and Manic didn't trust him enough to believe him when he said his appearance had changed.
 
That guy was always too suspicious and distrustful.
 
What confused the cobalt hedgehog even further why he never told Sonia and Manic about his past life.
 
I guess it was just the wrong moment, I really didn't have the time.
 
Not a long time had passed before they reached the high, rusted, dead-looking walls of Robotropolis. Sonia and Manic prepared themselves for a halt but Sonic kept going.
 
"HEY!" A voice called to his right. Sonic looked over at Sonia who was hanging from his right hand.
 
"What? Did you drop your hat?" He asked, annoyed at her.
 
"NO! I THOUGHT WE WERE STOPPING HERE!" she yelled.
 
Quicker than lightning, Sonic had pulled the three of them into the shade of an overhang. The three of them huddled into the darkness and crouched low.
 
"Shhhh!" He hissed. "Not so loud! Now, what did you want?"
 
"I thought we were stopping here!" Sonia repeated in a hissed whisper, slightly irritated at Sonic's sudden and uncalled for bossy attitude. That was HER area.
 
"Change of plans." Sonic replied shortly. "Turns out Robotnik's after someTHING, and we're gonna get it before he does."
 
"And you know that how?" Asked Manic.
 
"That was the plan I told you I found out."
 
"Then why did you want to come here in the first place?" Sonia asked suspiciously, with her arms folded.
 
"I wanted to make sure."
 
"Make sure what?"
 
"That the tip was not phony." All of Sonic's answers were short and terse. It was obvious he thought this conversation a waste of time.
 
Sonia still wanted answers though. "So what changed?"
 
"I know it isn't phony."
 
"How?"
 
"I went out scouting last night and I found some robots. If Buttnik's sending goons after us we must be on the right track."
 
Sonia and Manic reluctantly accepted this answer, since Sonic refused to budge on the matter. They once again grabbed Sonic's hands and prepared themselves for the run. But Sonic had barely even broken out into a jog before Sonic once again called out to Sonic.
 
"WHAT?!" Sonic practically shouted, highly annoyed now. They had gotten far enough away from the city to reach the foliage and now that they were hiding under the trees with no possibility of prying robot eyes, Sonic felt the need to express his anger verbally.
 
"Augh, chill already, Sonic! Geez, you may have gotten more serious, but your attitude hasn't changed a bit. Relax! I thought I saw someone."
 
Sonic and Manic perked up at that.
 
"Who was it?" Asked Manic.
 
"Was it a mobian or a robot?" Asked Sonic right after.
 
"I don't know who it was, but…I think it was a mobian…there!" She pointed excitedly at two small heaps on the ground not too far away and in a flash she had run to the fallen mobians, Manic close on her heels. Sonic, with renewed caution, followed a few steps behind and took the time to observe the fallen couple more closely.
 
It appeared as though only one of the two was injured and the other was hovering over the first. The one on the ground was a common ferret, brown and dusty, probably from one of the lower levels of the city; the couple had probably been sent out to gather fruits and had been attacked by something. From this far away Sonic couldn't tell how bad the injury was but the ferret's companion was paying close attention to his right ankle in particular.
 
Speaking of the companion, Sonic's heart jolted as his eyes lay on a figure that he had seen so many times, yet was now so unfamiliar.
 
The color of the coat, and the large ears were unmistakable, Sonic could have picked his rabbit friend out of a crowd any day. But then his eyes roamed downwards, and instead of a metal arm he saw real fur, flesh and bone, instead of armored legs—the result of a terrible mistake with even worse consequences—were real limbs, with whitened fur on the feet. How long had it been since he'd seen his friend like that?
 
Unconsciously, is steps had quickened, and before he had realized it, he had reached out and grabbed the rabbit's shoulder, spinning her around, he had to know—had to see—
 
“Bunnie?”
 
Green eyes, watery with tears, blinked up at him in confusion.
 
“I—I'm sorry, hun, but I don't know who your talking about. The name's Scarlett, Scarlett O'Hare.” Suddenly, she blinked again, as though realizing where she was and her eyes turned suspicious. “An' who are you? What do you want?” She took a protective stance over her downed friend that was so nostalgic of the old Bunnie, that Sonic was momentarily speechless with shock.
 
If this works, and we're thrown into a rip in the time continuum, then there is a great chance we may never go back to the world we remember. Random events, and even constructed ones, will be indelibly changed by the interference we create. People could grow up completely differently, lives could alter, entire civilizations could be wiped out. And here's the clincher—no one will know.No one will even know that things have changed, because they will not have the memories of the original time. No one but us...
 
Tail's words floated through Sonic's mind and immediately he jerked back from Bunnie—no Scarlett—as though burned. He glanced around and saw Sonia and Manic staring at him as though he was crazy.
 
“`M sorry,” he murmured quietly. “Mistook you for someone else.” While he took the time to compose himself, mentally convincing himself that the golden rabbit in front of him was not the Bunnie he knew, no matter what he thought; Sonia was proclaiming their intent to help.
 
“He was stung,” Bunnie's—Scalett's—eyes were misting over again as she understood that the triplets were not there to cause harm, and the reality of the situation once again set in. She gestured to the ferret on the ground, who was sweating and twitching in obvious discomfort. “Bathin is burning up with fever, I don't know what to do.”
 
From Sonia and Manic's silence, it was obvious that they too, did not know what to do.
 
Sonic's eyes flashed as a scene—long since forgotten—now came to his mind:
 
---A Different Time, A Different Place---
 
Knuckles rapped him sharply on the skull.
 
Hey!” Sonic yelped jumping away from the offending hand. “Whaddaya do that for?”
 
Just wanted to see if your head sounded as hollow as you make it seem.” Knuckles smirked, and chuckled at him.
 
OIE!”
 
Honestly Sonic,” Knuckles had adopted his `I'm-gonna-lecture-you-'cause-I-think-you-just-did-something-stupid' voice. “I don't know what you think you were doing out there. The jungles out here are swarming with red Hottentotta hottentotta, and you—”
 
Ah ha! You're kidding me right? Hottentotta hottentotta? Sounds like some sort of dance!” As if in explanation, Sonic broke out into a short jig, and was rewarded with another rap on his head.
 
OIE!”
 
Honestly,” Knuckles, rolled his eyes, “Sometimes I wonder having all those spikes on your head caused some of them to extend INTO your skull.”
 
Well, Mr. Smarty-Pants, lets not forget that you have spikes too!”
 
But you have to agree, mine are much more stylish!”
 
Knuckles' offhand comment was met by an unamused glare. Suddenly, Knuckles' grin was gone, as fast as it had come.
 
Scorpions, Sonic!” He shouted. Sonic pulled back.
 
What are you babbling about?”
 
I'm serious, Sonic! That forest out there is crawling with scorpions. What if you'd gotten stung!”
 
I'm too fast—”
 
Knuckles shoved him lightly. “If I'm fast enough to do that, then you my friend are most certainly not safe. One sting Sonic, one sting with no one there to save you, and you're dead.”
 
Sonic paled a little. He knew well enough when the time for joking was over. “What do you do?”
 
Knuckles sat down on a nearby rock and plucked a small plant from the ground. He held it out to Sonic...
 
---Present---
 
In a flash, Sonic had fallen to his knees near the ferret. Lifting the affected limb, he inspected the wound, Scorpion sting, that was both good and bad. He tugged off his hood and listened to the mobian's breathing, relief surged through him when he failed to hear a wet wheeze in his exhalation. There was still time. He spun around and ignored Scarlett's gasp of recognition.
 
“You're—”
 
He cut her off with a wave. “I know.” he said shortly. “There'll be time for that later. Right now we need to hurry. Sonia, you know what spearleaf is, right?”
 
She nodded hesitantly.
 
“I need you to find some, quickly. It'll be in the shade somewhere, near a rock or a tree. Go!” He added the last part forcefully when she failed to move right away. As Sonia went to her task, Sonic turned to Manic.
 
“I need you to start a fire, now.” Manic nodded, sensing the urgency, immediately went to work.
 
“Bun-er-Scarlett,” Sonic shook his head at the correction, annoyed with himself, this was not Bunnie. “Do you have a pot, pestle, some water and a cloth?”
 
After a few moments of rummaging, suitable items were found and Sonic soon had Scarlett sponging her friend's forehead, trying to keep the fever down. Sonic himself joined Soina in the hunt for spearplant and when they had gathered enough her ground the leaves into a powder using a clay spoon (they had no pestle) in the bowl. He added some water and created a mushy paste. This green paste was then heated on the fire.
 
“It won't be long now” Sonic said absently, not really caring if Bunnie was listening or not, he had to make sure the solution didn't boil, or else it would be ruined. “You feed this to him slowly when it's done, his fever should break by nightfall.”
 
“I don't know how to thank you.” Bunn-Scarlett-said gratefully, “If you hadn't come.”
 
“Don't worry about it, we're glad to help!” Sonia put in enthusiastically.
 
“But suga-hog, there must be—”
 
Sonic had stopped listening. Suga-hog.Suddenly it all became very real to him. His old life was over. The people he knew no longer knew him. Bunnie, Antoine...Sally...
 
A single bubble rose from the spearleaf paste and with a gasp, Sonic grabbed at the bowl, hissing and nearly dropping it as the clay bowl burn his fingers through his gloves.
 
“Sonic!” Came the concerned shouts.
 
With a silent curse, Sonic let the bowl fall safely into the ground then quickly took the spoon and prodded the stuff. Good, it's still good. He let out a breath. That was close, he didn't think Bathin, the ferret, could have survived the time it would have taken to make another batch.
 
Soon, the paste had been forced down the sick ferret's throat and as he rested fitfully, but recovering, the other mobians fell to the ground nearby, exhausted after that trying ordeal.
 
“Thank you,” Scarlett intoned emotionally once more.
 
“Don't worry about it,” Sonic said off handedly, he rose then and brushed off the cloak. “But we really should be going.”
 
Manic and Sonia didn't move and Sonic nearly groaned aloud in frustration.
 
“What is it now?”
 
“Sonic-...” Manic began hesitantly.
 
“Sonic, they'll be here until nightfall, it won't be safe around here then, we should help them back into the city.” Sonia stated bluntly.
 
Sonic paused. This was true. Unfortunately though Bunnie had been formidable, he doubted Scarlett would have the same advantages, and Bathin couldn't be moved until his fever broke. He could leave and go off on his own, but who knew what trouble Manic and Sonia would get into in the city? Great, they were stuck here.
 
Sonic fell back onto the ground with an audible sigh.
 
Silence befell the group.
 
“So...” Scarlett's eyes fell on Sonic, and he found himself glancing away from those familiar green eyes, starring at him as though he were a zoo creature. “You really are Sonic, aren't you?”
 
“Yeah,” He drawled, glancing at her, pulling his legs towards himself, indian style. “What of it?”
 
“Sonic...” came Sonia's predictable warning voice. Sonic ignored her; he had the right to be rude.
 
Scarlett fidgeted awkwardly. “It's nothing, you just seemed... familiar somehow, hun, are you sure we haven't met, suga? And why didja call me Bunnie earlier?”
 
Sonic looked away, eyes hooded. “No, we haven't met. And I made a mistake.”
 
Silence fell once more.
 
“Sonic,” Manic's voice slide into the silence upsetting it waveringly. “How... how did you know what to do... with the bite?”
 
“Sting,” Sonic corrected idly. “A friend taught me.” His tone was final.
 
“Oh...”
 
Nightfall was long in coming.
 
`><,'><,'><,'><,'><,
 
“His fever broke!” Scarlett's voice was an excited whisper in the twilight; with the rapidly disappearing sun had gone their courage to speak freely as well, unwelcome attention was best avoided, not to mention the fact that Sonic's mood hadn't exactly improved since the morning.
 
Another day, wasted! He mentally berated himself. They may never catch up to Metal Sonic now... And if Robotnik got his greasy hands on the chaos emeralds...
 
Slowly, he became aware of someone shaking his shoulder.
 
“Sonic, c'mon” Manic whispered urgently. “We're all packed, we need to go now.”
 
Sonic nodded and rose. Without a word, he held out his hand, and waited until it was grasped firmly. Then with the other hand, he reached down and flung Bathin's sleeping body securely over his shoulder, but not before pulling his goggles and hood back on.
 
Within seconds they had arrived at the heavy metal doors of Robotropolis. The metal doors glistened in the fading light before them and to any normal viewer the place would have looked completely impenetrable.
 
But the triplets were hardly normal. A quick detour around the wall rewarded them with a small side entrance, and a few smashed robots, and swiped ID bracelets (or robotic arms, as was the case) later, found the small group quickly and quietly navigating themselves through a narrow alley within the city. Eventually, they were able to reach the main street, but when they did, an unpleasant surprise was awaiting them.
 
“My god...”
 
TBC