Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ Big surprises ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 7: Big surprises

After going through a thunderstorm, the RV of our crew entered a calm location in a place called Indiana. The dark clouds moved on until at last, the sun began to shine its morning light down on the Sonic team. They were in the RV, coming to a stop after long hours of driving. As you can imagine, many hours of driving can be hard, especially hard on a certain red echidna.

"Are we dead?" Knuckles groaned behind the passenger seat, very tired.

"Of course, not. We're fine." Sonic the Hedgehog answered, being the driver.

"Where in the world are we now? We must've been driving forever!" Rouge said.

"According to my map, we're now in Indiana." Tails replied with the laptop computer.

Sound asleep, Shadow snored in the passenger seat, his eyes were closed with a smile because of a good dream he must have been having at the time. Amy was playing with Chinese handcuffs with Tikal, while Freeway was watching them with curiosity and wonder.

"Yeah, that's my crew." Sonic said, proudly. He turned and smiled at the sleeping Shadow again. "How pathetic." He whispered when he saw the black hedgehog.

Then Shadow spoke in his sleep. "Ha, faker, I told you, I'm the Ultimate…" He snorted.

Hearing that, Sonic clenched his teeth, angry. He shook his co-driver awake, ending the dream. Shadow awoke from his nap, and then he sat up, confused. He blinked his eyes to reality.

"Aw, I was having such a good dream…" Shadow yawned, stretching.

"It was getting too good for your own good." Sonic said, trying to keep his temper.

"What does that mean?" Shadow asked him, sleepily.

"Forget it, Shad. Right now, we need to find a place to stop for a little bit, so they can rest." Sonic pointed to the very tired and bored crew behind them. It was a pitiful sight to see then.

"I see what you're saying." Shadow nodded with understanding. "So, where to now?" He asked.

"I've never been around here, so I guess we'll go wherever the road takes us." Sonic replied.

"Oh, great plan." Shadow said, and then to himself he added, {I'm a much better driver.}

"Okay, here we go again. Hang on." Sonic said as he turned the wheel, driving the RV.

Driving, driving, driving and driving some more until finally, at last, it happened by chance that the RV stopped beside a beautiful lake. Knowing a fact, Sonic turned to see the red echidna.

"Hey, Knuckles, we're at a lake…with fish!" He said, and instantly, Knuckles stood up.

"Look out, fish! Here I come!" Knuckles grabbed his fishing rod and hat before running outside.

"Another miracle cure." Rouge sighed as she watched the echidna run.

"This sure looks like a good spot." Sonic noticed, and then he nodded his head.

"Hooray!" Amy cheered, and she stepped outside with Tikal and Freeway.

"I'm going out with them." Tails said, and then he closed the door after him.

"Well, Shadow, are you coming out to join us?" Sonic asked, before stepping outside.

"And complain about the flies and mosquitoes?" Shadow asked.

Sonic shrugged. "I just thought you wanted to come out and race with me."

"In that case…" Shadow jumped outside with one leap. "Let's go!" He called, running.

While the two hedgehogs raced in the area, Knuckles reached the lake with Rouge beside him. Amy and Tikal were close behind and they soon arrived at the lake with Freeway following. It was a very nice lake, clean and crystal clear, almost like glass. Rouge touched the water.

"Oh, it's cold!" She gasped as she pulled her arm out of the lake water.

"But there's fish in it." Tikal said, pointing when she saw a few swimming away.

"Yeah, this is perfect!" Knuckles said with excitement, holding his rod.

"I'll catch more fish than you, treasure hunter." Rouge teased him, holding her own rod.

"We'll see about that." Knuckles accepted her friendly challenge.

Amy sat down next to Tikal on a large rock, while Freeway smelled the wildflowers around them. It was nice and peaceful, silent as the breeze, and then all the sudden, Amy heard someone humming a song nearby, not far away. It took her a moment to recognize the voice.

It was Big the Cat, going fishing. "Pop goes the weasel." He hummed to himself.

Surprised, Amy stood up, waving her hand. "Hey, Big! We're over here!" She called.

"Huh? Where's here?" Big asked as he stopped in his tracks, looking around.

"That's Big, all right." Knuckles nodded, and then everyone came to greet him.

"Hello." Big greeted the Sonic crew, smiling. "Big going fishing. Fish are good." He said.

"It's been a while, Big." Sonic said to him, "We haven't heard from you."

"Oh, well, phone doesn't work, but Big will fix it up, yes." He told him.

"Why not just buy a new one?" Amy asked him.

"Big loves his phone. It's red." He smiled, and then the Sonic crew rolled their eyes.

"Hey, do you live around here now?" Tails asked the cat.

"Nope, Big travel far and wide. Big sees new things and eats tasty fish." He replied.

"Speaking of that," Knuckles said, "We better catch some for lunch. It's almost time."

"Big go in his boat. Come along." Big led them to a sandy shore of the lake, and there it was.

"Say, this is great! Yahoo!" Sonic said, and then he hopped into the large fishing boat.

"I'm next!" Knuckles called, and then he climbed in with Tikal following him.

Rouge climbed in next with Tails carrying Freeway inside his red backpack. Then Shadow climbed inside, but Amy could not climb very high. She tried and tried, but it was useless.

"Big give you a lift." The cat said, and he gently lifted her up, and placed in into the boat.

"Oh, thank you!" Amy said, happily smiling and she looked around to see the others.

Everyone was safely onboard the ship, and so they moved out into the middle of the lake, where the fish were located. It was a fun ride, and the view was fantastic. The crew was each given a fishing rod, and they all sat quietly, waiting for the fish to come in for a bite.

Sonic yawned. "The fish aren't biting. Maybe they don't want to be caught." He said.

"Fishing takes patience." Shadow reminded him, quietly.

Just then, something pulled on the fishing line of Sonic. He caught something. "Whoa!" He gasped as he tried to pull it in, but it was fighting. "Shadow, help!" He called.

Shadow shrugged, placed his fishing rod down, and then he came to Sonic, and just in time, because the blue hedgehog was almost pulled down into the lake, but Shadow caught him with his arms around his waist. Shadow pulled, closing his eyes. But he was losing his grip.

"Man, you're heavy!" Shadow breathed, and then he pulled again.

"It's this Godzilla fish, not me!" Sonic shouted at him.

"I think it's a whale!" Shadow said through his clenched teeth.

Then Sonic saw the fishing line break. The fish escaped with the bait. "Uh-oh!" Sonic said, and before Shadow could even think, they both fell backward into a fish net.

Knuckles shook his head. "You're supposed to catch the fish, not yourselves." He said.

"We'll keep that in mind, Knuckles." Sonic said, sitting up on the boat's deck. Then he turned to see Shadow, sitting up, and Sonic removed the net from him. They were free, but it was still a disappointment that the fish got away. "Are you okay, Shad?" Sonic asked him.

"Me? I'm fine, but I'll think twice before I eat sardines again." Shadow replied.

Soon after that, the boat came back to the sandy shore, on dry land where the crew stepped out with the fish they had caught for lunch. They made a campfire, placed the fish over it with sticks, and they soon all settled down for a good meal. It was a true enjoyment and great time.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

"Something sure smells good." Chaos said, and then he sniffed the air again.

"I am detecting possible organic life forms." Metal said as he used his sensors to seek and find.

"Is that what I smell?" Chaos asked him, and then the robot shook his head.

"No, I believe I have found our targets, down near the lake." Metal pointed toward it.

"Hey, I know. It smells like fish!" Chaos said, when he finally recognized the smell.

"So what? It's only your armpits." Metal said, and then he began to travel to the lake with Chaos.

= = = = =

Back on the lake's shore, the crew is found finishing the last few bites of their lunch. It soon happened that there remained one fish. Sonic and Knuckles had their eyes on it. The hedgehog and the echidna looked at each other, thinking the same thing. "It's mine." They said.

"Well, I'll flip you for it." Knuckles offered the blue hedgehog a coin.

"Good idea. I'm heads, now, flip it." Sonic accepted it, and Knuckles flipped the coin. They both watched as it landed, not on heads and not on tails, but it was none. It somehow stood on its side, and so the two concluded that it meant for them to share it. And so they did.

Amy finished her lunch, so then she took a sip of her drink, and then suddenly, her eyes widened with fear. She dropped her cup by mistake, but she did not even notice it.

"What's the matter, Amy? You look as if you saw a spook." Sonic said with confusion.

"That could be you." Knuckles teased him, and then Sonic shot him with a water pistol.

"No, it's not that!" Amy cried, "Look at the boat! It's sinking!" She pointed, and it was true.

"Oh no!" Tikal cried, "Who has done this horrible crime?" She asked with dread.

"Big miss his boat." The cat said as he waved his hand goodbye.

Sonic stood up, knowing something was wrong. The boat sank out of sight, down into the lake, and then Sonic approached the water. When he came near it, he looked down to see a pair of yellow scissors. "Yo, where's the dummy that belongs to this?!" He asked, angrily.

"Here I is!" The voice of Chaos answered, and the blue hedgehog turned to face the intruder. Then Metal Sonic landed down from the sky, standing on the dry ground with Chaos.

"Surrender, hedgehog!" The robot demanded, pointing toward the fastest thing alive.

"Don't count on it, chump!" Sonic refused, shaking his head.

"Hey, you're both here, but where's Dr. Eggman?" Tails asked.

"Oh, the Doc?" Chaos said, answering him. "He's very, very, very busy right now."

"What's he up to then? He is trying to find his brain?" Sonic asked, crossing his arms.

"Nope, he's eating at Taste of China restraint." Chaos replied, truthfully.

"You don't have to answer their questions, raindrop!" Metal slapped him, and then he turned to face his enemies. "And now, hedgehog, it is time to end this illogical chase!"

"I agree!" Sonic growled, and he ran toward the robot with Shadow helping him.

They began to fight on the lake's shore, and then Amy just thought of an idea. She quickly reached into her dress pocket, and she pulled out her Chinese handcuff. Then suddenly, Chaos approached her from behind, ready to take her. Amy turned with the Chinese handcuff, and by chance, the finger of Chaos went right in it, captured. Amy ran away to safety, while Chaos looked at the strange sight on his finger. He tried to pull it off, but then it only became tighter.

"Uh-oh! I'm stuck!" He cried, and then he ran to the robot. "Metal, help!" He ran, and by mistake, he crashed into the robot, and the Chinese handcuff caught Metal's finger.

"What is this nonsense?" Metal asked, and he pulled away, and then their fingers were locked together. "What a nightmare!" Metal cried with dread, "I'm stuck with a corny idiot!"

"Ha!" Sonic said, "Now we've got you right where we need you, in handcuffs!" He pointed.

"I will never be your prisoner!" Metal refused, and then he began to fly away, escaping.

"Here we go again!" Chaos screamed as they flew away into the sky. They were gone. The crew was safe and unharmed, and in fact, they laughed together after the enemies had gone.

"We better hurry, and jet outta here before anything else goes wrong." Sonic said, and then he called, "Team, let's go! Load up in the RV, and let's sail away!" He ran, and they followed.

"Come with us, Big. We'll give you a ride to your next stop." Amy offered, kindly.

"That will be fun. This is a very nice RV." Big nodded, and then he stepped inside. As soon as he entered, the RV's end met the ground, causing the driver Sonic and Shadow to face the sky.

"Hey, Big, come up in the front!" Sonic called, holding the steering wheel to keep from falling. Then the RV came back down again in its normal stand, and the two hedgehogs sighed.

"Okay, let's go!" Shadow said with relief as he buckled up, and so they went on the way again. The RV traveled down on the road with the crew safe and together inside. They were moving.