Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ No place like it ( Chapter 30 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 30: No place like it

After all this, their adventure together, Sonic the Hedgehog and his crew felt the need to return home after this amazing trip. It had been a time they would never forget, but of course, all journeys must come to an end to make way for new ones, and for new possibilities ahead that await. Before they left New York, Scotty insisted that they would all be his special guests for lunch that afternoon. They all had spent most of that day repairing the RV, so they went with the crime fighter hedgehog with gladness, talking as they went. When they arrived at the Refuge base, Sonya Violet, a female purple hedgehog happily greeted them, and they were welcomed inside. Scotty kissed Sonya softly on her cheek, and then he sat down with her at the table.

"Hmm, nice place, Scott." Sonic commented on the dinning room.

"Thanks, it works for us." Scotty told him, "But it's not always this calm."

"I am curious to know why that is so." Metal-2 said, and then suddenly, there was an explosion.

"What was that?!" Jenean gasped with surprise, but Scotty was calm.

"Nothing to worry about," He said, "It's only Billy with some new invention in the lab."

Then a coughing light blue echidna scientist with eyeglasses entered the dinning room, tripping over some wires. "My goodness!" Billy the Echidna gasped as he fell over, but he was not hurt.

"Billy!" Knuckles said to him, "You crazy brother, what are you doing now?"

"I was attempting to reconstruct Freedom's rocket, but it appears she has other plans." Billy answered after he stood up, dusting the dust off his white coat. Then he noticed the dinning room had guests. "Oh, greetings and salutations. I am Bill Nine Echidna, but you can call me Billy."

"Long introduction." Metal-2 said, and then Billy gasped with surprise.

Billy's eyes widened with excitement to see the machine. "Fascinating!" He said with interest.

"Now, Billy, don't experiment on him!" Knuckles commanded.

Billy hardly heard his brother's words, and he took a close look at the robot. "Oh, I have only read of such things, dreamed of seeing it, and now, it has really, truly happened!"

"Excuse me," Metal-2 said, "But I am not the work of science fiction. I am Metal Sonic-2."

"Gracious, and he has a Russian accent. I find that to be interesting." Billy said, nodding.

"So what?" Knuckles said, "You have a British accent, and I still don't even know how."

"Why, I was born with it, my fine lad." Billy reminded him with a smile.

Shadow took a long sip of his coffee with his eyes widening. "How about that?" He shrugged.

Amy chuckled. "It's good to be here again, but I miss my home." She said.

"Yeah," Rouge agreed. "I guess I miss it, too. But we will be going soon."

"Still," said Tikal, "There will always be that road, those memories, and the--"

"Coffee." Shadow said as he poured himself another cup.

Tails smiled, but then he looked down, sadly. "But I also lost my laptop." He whispered.

"Don't worry about that, Tails." Sonic said, grinning. He turned to the robot. "Metal-2, go get the box. It's behind the driver's seat in the RV, okay?"

"Understood." Metal-2 said, and then he left the dinning room. He soon returned with a box.

"Thanks, Metal-2. Now, give it to Tails." Sonic pointed, and Metal-2 gave the box to him.

"What…what is it, Sonic?" Tails asked the hedgehog, nervously.

"Only one way to find out, little buddy. Open it." Sonic said, and then Tails did so.

Tails gasped with surprise when he saw a new laptop computer with a red ribbon nicely wrapped around it. "Oh, Sonic, thank you!" Tails said with gladness in his eyes. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome, pal. But I can't take all the credit. Scotty did it." Sonic pointed.

"Scotty!" Tails said, smiling at the crime fighter. "Thank you so much!"

"Well, you're welcome, but Shadow paid for some of it." Scotty said, turning to him.

"Of course." Tails said, and then he looked toward the black hedgehog. "Thanks, Shadow."

But Shadow was busily drinking his last sip of coffee with his eyes closed. Everyone looked at the hedgehog with wide opened eyes. When he finally finished the last drop, he placed the coffee mug down on the table, opening his eyes to notice that everyone was looking at him.

"Sorry, guys." Shadow said, "I was just thinking about an engine problem. Did you say something to me?" He asked, and then Sonic grinned, shrugging his shoulders.

"Never mind, Shad. But thanks for helping." Sonic lifted a thumb, smiling.

"Oh, well, you're welcome for whatever." Shadow then finished his meal.

= = = = =

Later that day…

Time passed rather quickly, and after their visit with Scotty and his family, Sonic and his great crew prepared to leave. Sonic stopped beside the faithful RV, which was repaired, and then he turned to Scotty, shaking the crime fighter's hand. They smiled at each other, silent for a moment.

"Well, sayonara for now, Scott." Sonic said, "I hate goodbyes, so I'll see you really soon."

"I know, Sonic. So long for now, and thanks for all that you've done." Scotty said, gently.

Sonic nodded, understanding. Then he whistled, calling for his team to enter the RV. They did so after saying goodbye to Scotty. Metal-2 was the last one, and he stopped to face Scotty.

"I am curious…" Metal-2 said to him, "I have no emotion as you do, but I do not think it will be the same without you. Is that called 'missing' someone, or am I wrong?" He asked with wonder.

Scotty made a smile, almost child-like in appearance. "No, my friend, you're not wrong." Scotty told him, "I believe you're on the right track, and I do look forward to future visits."

"As do I, Scott." Metal-2 said; imitating the way Sonic called the crime fighter.

Then Scotty's smile became a grin. "Thanks. Adieu, Metal-2." The crime fighter then bowed his head to the robot hedgehog, showing him respect. He looked up with the blue eyes of a topaz.

After shaking hands, Metal-2 stepped into the RV with the others. Scotty held Sonya by the hand, and they both watched the RV drive out of sight down the road, and soon after that, the sun began to set with a light of gold and a touch of pink. The American hedgehog saluted the Sonic team.

= = = = =

Later…

Now entering their home area, it was dark outside, and Sonic continued driving. Shadow was very tired, so Sonic thought it would be best to take him home first, before the others. The RV stopped in front of Shadow's home, and then Knuckles opened the door for everyone. They stepped outside, and Shadow carried his one lone suitcase. As you all know, he travels lightly.

"Hey," said Knuckles, "I just now thought of something…"

"What?" Sonic asked him, "Did you forget your swim shorts again." He smirked.

"Yes-I mean, no!" Knuckles answered, "I was wondering what we can do for Jenean."

"That's right," Tails realized, "She has no home now because the Predator destroyed it."

"Yes." Jenean nodded her head, sadly lowering her head down to face the ground. She remembered the fire and the dreadful fear. "I'm alone now." She whispered.

Sonic heard this, and he shook his head, no. "Jenean, on the road, no one is alone…" He gently held her soft hand. "…No one." He repeated, and Jenean saw that he really meant it.

"Then she can stay?" Amy asked, and then Sonic stood up, smiling.

"Of course, she can stay with Tikal until we find her a place near ours. It'll be great."

This was a surprise and joy for Jenean. "I don't know what to say." She said, finally.

"How about saying, yes?" Tails asked, hoping for that answer.

Jenean nodded with bright eyes and a joyful smile. "Yes! Oh, yes!" She shouted, and then she gave Tails a tight hug. She was so happy, happier than she could remember.

"Oh, how cute!" Rouge said, and she blinked her eyes at the young foxes.

"Well, now with that all settled, what about him?" Shadow pointed at Metal-2.

Everyone became silent and still, all looking toward the robot, and Sonic sighed, heavily.

"Sonic, no!" Tails cried, and he stood close beside the blue hedgehog. "Let him stay."

Sonic heard his friend's request, and he gently knelt down, whispering. "Tails, he may not want to stay. Metal-2 may want to go back to Wisconsin where we found him, remember?"

"Yes, of course, I remember. He saved my life there. But we can't just leave him there. He's our family now, and he belongs with us." Tails gave his answer, and then Sonic stood up.

"Can I keep him, Sonic? Please?" Tails asked, and then Sonic looked at the robot for a reply.

After a long pause, Metal-2 answered. "I wish to stay. This is home." He said, quietly.

"There's no place like it." Sonic said, "Yes, you are welcomed to stay, Metal-2."

Tails was glad to hear this. "Hooray!" He shouted with a leap, surprising Sonic.

Shadow yawned, sleepily. "Well, since nobody needs me, I'm going to bed." He said, weakly, and then he turned toward the door with the crew waving their hands, wishing him a good night.

Then Freeway stepped outside of the RV, and she ran toward Shadow. Sonic watched with wonder, and so did the entire crew when the baby deer stopped beside the black hedgehog.

Shadow looked down at the little fawn, and he let a smile go free. "I guess you're here to 'squeak' to tell me goodnight again, huh?" Shadow asked her.

Freeway blinked her eyes, smiling, and then she totally surprised the whole crew when she spoke for the very first time. "Goodnight, Uncle Shadow!" Freeway wished for him, happily.

"Freeway, you talked!!" The crew shouted all at once.

"Yeah, I did, didn't I?" Freeway asked, and she made her cute chuckle sound to be heard.

"You did!" Shadow replied. He carried her in his arms, and danced in a circle because he was so happy for her. But when he opened his eyes, he saw everyone staring at him, strangely. Shadow let his normal face appear again, and he let Freeway down. He gave her a simple stroke on the head. "Humph, well, keep trying, kid. Maybe you'll get better one day." He said.

Freeway winked her eye. "You know I will." She said, "Besides, I have good teachers." Then she left, leaving Shadow with widening eyes. The black hedgehog shrugged with a weak smile.

"So many changes in such a short time," Tails said, "But I wonder if it will happen again…"

"What do you mean, Tails?" Amy asked him, curiously.

"I think he means we could be in that RV again, on the road someday." Knuckles replied. Then everyone turned to look at the leader, the driver, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic said nothing. He just grinned, and he lifted his thumb to his crew as a sign.

"The answer is clear." Metal-2 said, and so then the team knew it without any doubt.

And so it was that every year or so, this great crew set out in the faithful RV for adventure and a traveling time that is always unforgettable. It is impossible for me to tell you all the tales they had been through on the road, but the path they traveled on tells a story all on its very own. And that is our story. Sayonara, my adventurous readers.

= = = = =

THE END

Sonic Adventures: On the Road Again

~*~END credits~*~

Ending song: "Don't fence me in."

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in.
Let me be by myself in the evening breeze,
Listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever, but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in.

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle underneath the western skies, on my cay-use
Let me wander over yonder till I see the mountains rise.
I want to ride to the ridge where the West commences
Gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
Can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in.
No, don't you fence me in

= = = = =

Cast of star characters…

Sonic the Hedgehog --- SEGA

Shadow the Hedgehog --- SEGA

Miles Tails Prower --- SEGA

Knuckles the Echidna --- SEGA

Amy Rose --- SEGA

Rouge the Bat --- SEGA

Tikal the echidna --- SEGA

Omochao --- SEGA

Big the Cat --- SEGA

Dr. Eggman Robotnik --- SEGA

Metal Sonic --- SEGA

Chaos Zero --- SEGA

Special guest stars…

Metal Sonic-2; MS-02 --- Nathan Argo

Jenean Lilian Gibbs --- Renee L. Chartier

Mario and Luigi "Super Mario Brothers" --- Nintendo

Freeway the Deer --- C. E. Rodriguez

The Predator MS --- C. E. Rodriguez

Scotty the Crime Fighter --- C. E. Rodriguez

Sonya Violet --- C. E. Rodriguez

Bill Nine Echidna --- C. E. Rodriguez

Care note: No critters or robots were harmed during the making of this story. Each one was handled and cared with tenderness and carefulness. The fighting and combat scenes were preformed after special training. The actors and actresses did great. Thanks, Sonic Team.

Special thanks to…

My sisters: Monique, Bijou, Colette and Beau. My brothers: Lorran and Einnar. My parents.

Special thanks to Nathan Argo for his brilliants ideas and his wonderful artwork.

And I thank all my readers, adventurous to read and travel along in my written work.

A new day brings a new adventure… but for now… Rest easy, heroes.