Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Pony Penny ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3: Pony Penny

After leaving the Virginia Beach, the RV arrived in Maryland, which was to some, a merry place to be. It was very early in the morning when they came to a certain place called Chincoteague, a small, peaceful place where a special time happens on the last Thursday in July. Over on the island called Assateague, there lived ponies in freedom like a flock of wild birds. Every year, they are rounded-up and some were sold in auctions before the herd returned home back from Chincoteague to Assateague. Metal-2 glanced down, and he saw that the RV was low on fuel.

"Tails," he said to the fox quietly in the morning. "This location will have to be our next stop."

"It's fine," Tails agreed in the front passenger chair. "We all could use a stop now, anyway."

Sonic yawned, waking up from sleep in a chair. "What's today?" he asked sleepily.

"Thursday," Shadow answered on the sofa, quietly drinking a cup of hot coffee.

"Must have slept all night," Sonic said, rubbing his eyes awake.

"Yeah, most do that, you know," said Knuckles, climbing out of his sleeping place.

Metal-2 stopped the RV in a safe place to park it. "We're in Chincoteague now."

"Huh? Chinco-what?" Sonic asked, "Where is that on the map?"

"Right here," Tails pointed on his map, and Sonic closed one eye, looking for it.

"Looks like a bread crumb to me," Knuckles said, and Shadow chuckled in his mug.

"Pipe down, it could be worse," Sonic said to the red echidna. "This place will do good."

"Yeah, good enough," Knuckles said, nodding.

"Good morning!" Amy called out after exiting the back bedroom where the girls slept.

"Good night!" Sonic said, and he ran outside to explore around the area.

"Look, everyone, here's breakfast." Tikal served everyone fresh toast and eggs.

Shadow placed the eggs between the two slices of toast to make a sandwich. He sprinkled salt and pepper on it, which made Knuckles sneeze, and then Shadow placed one lone black olive inside. He took a bite, chewed carefully while the crew watched him. "It's not too bad," he said.

"Yeah, but what's with the olive?" Rouge asked before taking a sip of orange juice.

"That's what makes my sandwiches lucky," Shadow replied, and Rouge swallowed, surprised.

"That rhymed," Knuckles said to the readers and viewers from afar.

= = = = =

Meanwhile, Sonic was racing on the island of Chincoteague to enjoy the fresh morning air before the wind took it away. He followed the wind, chasing it while allowing a little water to splash on him from the nearby shore. It was a good place to run, but he was unaware that someone was watching him. The big green eyes of Chaos Zero looked through binoculars, the wrong way.

"I see him, but he's so small," Chaos said while looking into them.

"He's going to get a whole lot bigger after I make him swell up," said Metal Sonic.

"Oh, yeah!" Chaos said, letting the binoculars down. "But I think these are broken."

Metal rolled his red eyes. "Whatever," he said, turning away. "Come, we must call the Doctor."

"But Metal, I'm not sick," Chaos said, and then Metal took him by the arm, pulling him away.

"You're sicker than you can possibly imagine," Metal said as he dragged the creature down a hill.

"Oh, dear," Chaos gasped. "Maybe that's why I'm seeing things so small today!"

"Can it, Zero!" Metal scolded, but Chaos was worried for his watery health at the moment.

"Metal, call me a doctor!" Chaos cried, closing his eyes shut with dread.

"Okay, waterfall, you're a doctor," Metal called him that, and he continued downhill.

= = = = =

Later that day…

Tails looked up toward the afternoon sky, and instead of seeing bright sunlight as he expected, he saw clouds gather together like a large flock of birds, soaring gracefully. Tails tried to remember if he heard any storm reports on the radio, but he did not recall such news. Should he worry?

"I don't know…" Tails whispered to himself as he closed his eyes for a moment.

Tikal and Amy Rose were busy washing laundry inside a nearby Laundromat building, which was small, but enough for them to complete that chore. The RV was parked to rest after Shadow and Metal-2 refilled it, and Knuckles was on top of the RV, watching the sky while in deep thought. Freeway was taking her afternoon nap, and Rouge silently climbed up the ladder to reach Knuckles. She elbowed the echidna in the side, playfully laughing, and then she escaped.

"Hey, you!" Knuckles shouted, leaping off the RV to chase the white bat.

Shadow opened an eye when he heard the voices, standing next to Metal-2. They were waiting for not only the girls to finish laundry inside, but also for Sonic to return. After she finished, Tikal helped to carry the clean laundry inside the RV. Amy walked over to see Tails with his laptop.

"Any sign of Sonic yet?" Amy asked the fox, who was sitting on a smooth rock.

"Nope," Tails answered without looking at her during his work. "Not yet."

"Where could he be?" Amy asked, stepping ahead of him. "What if something went wrong?"

"I wouldn't worry too much, Amy," said Tails in a calm way. "Tikal has it all ready by now."

"What's ready?" Amy asked, and just then, Tikal stepped out of the RV, holding a plate of…

"Chilidogs!" Tikal shouted, calling all those who were hungry to come and eat.

Amy hardly blinked when a blue blur passed her and Tails, and then Sonic appeared.

"I'm back!" Sonic said happily, and he looked at the chilidogs, hungrily. "And just in time!"

Everyone else gathered at the picnic table to eat, but Tails stayed with his laptop, reading. Noticing that Tails was missing, Metal-2 left the crew, and he found the fox at work.

"Tails," he said to him, "I know you have road plans to make, but you should stop to eat."

"I know, I know," Tails said after a sigh. "I was just reading about Chincoteague."

Metal-2 nodded his head. "Ah, yes, it's a peaceful place and a good vacation location."

"But look at this," Tails pointed to his laptop computer screen. "It says that every year on the last Thursday in July, the people of Chincoteague round-up the wild ponies that live on the island called Assateague. The ponies swim across the water channel where some are sold in auctions."

"If that's true, it happens today," said Metal-2.

Tails closed the laptop, standing again. "I hope we're not too late to see them!"

"Let's go tell Sonic." And so Metal-2 and Tails told the blue hedgehog about it.

Indeed, Sonic listened carefully to what his friends had to say. "That sounds cool!" he said.

"Yeah!" Knuckles agreed. "I always wanted to see those wild Mustangs, you know."

"Not Mustangs," Tikal corrected him. "It's the Assateague ponies."

"Ponies? Mustangs?" Rouge asked, and then she said, "I thought he meant the Mustang car."

"Whatever," said Shadow, shrugging. He finished the last sip of his hot coffee.

"It sounds great. Let's go!" Amy laughed, leaving her chair when finished eating.

"Wait for us!" Tikal called out, running to catch up with the pink hedgehog.

"After her!" Knuckles pointed to the running Tikal before he adventured away.

"No need to wait for me," Sonic said, grinning. "I'm already there!" And he ran.

"Here we go!" Tails ran to follow, taking his trusty laptop in his backpack.

"If that blue hedgehog thinks he's already there, he's wrong!" said Shadow, running.

Rouge flew alongside Tails, following the runners below to find the shore. Freeway tried to follow the others, sleepily after her nap, and she tripped over a fallen tree. She blinked her eyes, and then someone carefully picked her up. Freeway looked into the ruby eyes of a friend.

"No problem, you and I will go first class." Metal-2 winked his eye, and away they went.

"Hurray! Hurray!" Freeway shouted with joy. "Look, I'm the first deer ever to fly! Wow!"

Metal-2 smiled. "Hold on!" he said, leaving the area behind to head for the shore.

= = = = =

When they arrived, they found themselves in a crowd of people, and some came from many miles away like they had done in the faithful traveling RV. On foot, Sonic and his friends came in the mist of what he guessed was a Country Fair event in that small town. Tikal carried little Freeway, so the fawn would not get hurt or lost in the crowd in the area they were in. Sonic stopped for a moment, and he sniffed the air with his eyes closed. Tails saw this, and he knew it meant food.

"Sonic, we just had some chilidogs today," Tails reminded him, but the hedgehog continued.

"Buddy, in a case like this, I must follow my nose!" And so Sonic ran to do so.

Shadow felt a burst of wind rush passed him. "He's at it again!" he said.

"Sonic, wait up!" Amy called, running to follow, and Knuckles went with her.

"I think I know where he's heading," said Metal-2, and at the speed of sound, he ran passed Knuckles, taking Amy with him, and when the dust cleared, they were both at a chilidog stand.

"Wow, cool!" Amy giggled happily, and Metal-2 let her sit down on a chair.

Just then, Sonic appeared after following his nose, and he was surprised to see them there already. "He…he beat me," Sonic said quietly, pointing to the blue android hedgehog.

"No," said Shadow as he approached with Tails and Tikal following. "You beat yourself."

It took Sonic a moment to realize again that Metal-2 was an android made in his image, so in a way, Shadow was right. "Oh, yeah," he said, grinning with a wink. "Cool."

"Wait a minute," Tikal said to them, "We're suppose to find the wild ponies, not food."

"I guess you're right," Sonic agreed, after he swallowed one. "But all jets need fuel."

"But where could the ponies be now?" Freeway wondered. "Maybe they went home already."

"No," said an elderly man behind the crew. "If you're looking for the wild ponies, you should head for the shore soon. The channel crossing will happen at any moment."

"So, if we hurry, we can still see them swim across?" asked Amy.

"Yes, you heard me correctly," said the man. "And it's best to watch them by ship."

"You mean, a fisher boat?" Tikal asked him, and the man nodded his head.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Sonic asked, and they all looked at him.

"Um…for you to say, let's go," Knuckles guessed, and Shadow rolled his eyes.

"Right," Sonic said, and he pointed with a finger. "Let's go!" And he ran.

"Thank you, sir! Bye!" Amy thanked the man before running after the crew.

And so, down a hill, the crew ran, traveling for the shore where they saw many people gathering to see the water channel crossing of the wild ponies. They came to a nice fisher boat, and they were welcome onboard to watch the ponies arrive. But Metal-2 hesitated to climb on with them.

"Metal-2, come on!" Sonic called, "We're not going without you."

After another hesitation, Metal-2 climbed in, and they were in the water, ready.

"Is anything wrong?" Amy asked Metal-2, standing next to him in the boat.

Metal-2 shrugged. "I'm not sure," he said, and he forced a smile. "Forget it."

Amy only nodded, and she quietly decided to stay with him in case he needed any help. Some people watched from land, and some from ships in the water. The ships formed a fence-like wall to the left and to the right for the ponies to cross safely to the other side. Sonic and the others arrived just in time, too. Just a short tie after they entered the ship, a sound was heard nearby.

"Listen!" Sonic said excitedly, looking toward the island. "I think I hear something…"

Knuckles listened for a moment, and then he said, "Sounds like thunder."

"I'm scared of storms," Freeway whispered, nestling in Tikal's arms to be safe.

"Affirmative," Metal-2 reported to Sonic. "The ponies are coming in this direction."

"Look, it's them!" Tails shouted, pointing, and everyone looked.

"Yeah! It's the Mustangs!" Knuckles said, and then everyone looked at him, shaking their heads.

Yes, it was the wild ponies, and they came in a herd, leaving their home island behind while men on horseback rounded them toward the water. They came in almost all sizes and their colors were like a natural rainbow. The water splashed onto them when the first few stepped into the water.

"Here they come!" Sonic announced to his friends, and they were happy to see them.

Freeway looked down at the water, and she saw the ponies swimming for the land. Everything seemed calm, until suddenly, there was an explosion behind the swimming ponies.

"What was that?!" Amy screamed, holding onto Metal-2 when the ship shook.

"Why, it was me!" answered a voice, they looked up to see someone who was not welcomed.

"DOCTOR EGGMAN!" They all said together, and the scientist grinned in his ship.

"Thank you, thank you," said Eggman, and then Metal Sonic appeared, hovering at his side.

"How could you do this?!" Sonic asked angrily, looking up at the man.

"It's really quite simple, but I'll explain when the world is mine!" Eggman laughed out loud.

And at the man's side, Metal Sonic had a 'keep dreaming' look on his cold robotic face. Metal-2 left the ship, sending his fist into Metal Sonic's face, and the two machines fought in the air.

"Oh no! No!" Tikal cried with her eyes closed with Freeway shivering in her arms.

"And now," Eggman said, looking around. "Where is that total Chaos when I need him?"

"You're going down, man!" Sonic said, jumping up toward the ship, attacking it.

"Hey, leave some for me!" Shadow said, jumping up after the blue hedgehog.

"So, he's the one who caused the explosion!" Knuckles said to himself.

"Are any of the ponies hurt?" Tails asked, and the red echidna looked down at the water.

"I don't think so, but it sure scared them," Knuckles answered, looking.

"Knuckles, look!" Rouge pointed to a small baby pony, which was separated from its mother.

"She's drowning!" Knuckles realized and then he quickly jumped into the water.

"Knuckles!!" Tails called, but the echidna was already gone, swimming underwater.

Meanwhile, Sonic and Shadow were attacking the enemy ship, and Metal-2 was quite busy with Metal Sonic in a fighting flight. Rouge wondered where Knuckles had gone to, but she knew she had to help the others, and so she left to enter the fight. Tails, Amy, Tikal, and Freeway stayed.

"What should we do, Tails?" Amy asked the fox, turning away from the fighting machines.

"I think I have a--!" Tails stopped when Eggman laughed at the boat they were in.

"Lucky day, Tails," he said, "The ship you have chosen has explosives right underneath it!"

Amy and Tikal screamed in fright, and Tails began to sweat when he heard a ticking sound.

"You let them go!" Sonic yelled, giving another spin dash attack to the ship, leaving a dent. "Ouch!" Sonic yelped in pain, falling backward, but Shadow caught him in time.

Then suddenly, the explosion came from underneath the boat, and Tails fell down with the others. He quickly stood up, and Amy ran to him with Tikal holding Freeway the baby deer.

"I can't carry you both out of here!" Tails said to the girls sadly.

"Here," Tikal said and she gave Freeway to Amy. "Take them, Tails."

"But Tikal, I can't leave you here! It's too dangerous!" Tails said in the sinking ship. The fox took Tikal and Amy's hand, and with all he had, he tried to fly up. "We'll all go together!"

Amy screamed again when she no longer felt a floor beneath, and she held Freeway tight. Tikal closed her eyes, afraid when the boat sank into the water where possibly more explosions were. Tails pulled up higher and higher, but he could not for long. They were slowly descending.

"Metal-2!!" Tails called out, and the android left his current battle behind.

"I'm coming! Hold on, Tails!" Metal-2 shouted, flying toward them.

"What does it look like I'm doing?!" Tails shouted back, hardly able to fly any longer.

"HELP!!" Amy and Tikal screamed while Freeway closed her eyes tightly.

Just in time, Metal-2 caught them. He carried Amy with one arm and Tikal in the other, while Tails somehow held onto the android's head. It was a windy ride, but they made it to safe land. Metal Sonic was damaged from the fight, but he watched with hatred how Metal-2 helped the crew out of danger. He mentally called Metal-2 a coward, among other things. Eggman in the meantime had to retreat because his ship was too damaged to continue with his plan. Rouge gave the ship a final kick before it turned away, escaping with the scientist. He left with Metal Sonic.

"Hey, hey, hey! Wait a minute!" Sonic said, "Without a ship to kick, I'll fall into the drink!"

"You want a straw with that?" Shadow asked, and with no answer, they began to fall.

"AAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!" Sonic yelled as he fell down below, heading for the water.

Shadow covered his ears while falling, silent, and then by surprise, Rouge caught them both. She was close to land, so it was quite an easy flight there without any problems. She landed on the ground where Tails and the others were waiting. After a moment of catching his breath, he spoke.

"Whew! Thanks, Rouge, you came just in time," Sonic said to the white bat.

"No trouble, but where's Knuckles?" Rouge asked the others, but no one knew for sure.

"I didn't see him," Shadow told her, and the others shook their heads, worried.

Sonic tried to reassure the crew that Knuckles would be found, but then, they had to quickly move out of the way when the small herd of wild ponies began climbing on land, unharmed.

"They made it, and they're all right!" Tails said, watching them reach land.

"Yeah, but Knuckles is still missing," Tikal said sadly, and Amy was worried also.

Freeway sighed, but then she suddenly lifted her head, looking toward the shore. "Look!"

And when they looked, everyone had a surprised face to see Knuckles the Echidna, soaked with water as he gave the little pony a final push to its mother, and so it was safe at last on dry land.

"Knuckles!!" Everyone called, and they ran to meet him. Knuckles felt his arms and legs shake a little after the hard swim with some mud on his shoes, and Tikal caught him with a hug.

"Oh, Knuckles, you did it!" she said to him joyfully with gladness. "You saved her! You're the most wonderful and craziest echidna in the whole world!"

"Oh, um…thanks, I think," Knuckles said weakly, and he took a deep breath of air.

"We swam the whole way with you, Knuckles!" Amy said, cheering for him.

"But what ever happened to Eggman?" Knuckles asked the others.

"He left with Metal Sonic," Tails answered, pointing to the sky, which was safe now.

"He'll be back," said Metal-2, and Sonic knew that as well.

Before Sonic had any word to say, the crew was surrounded with people, who clapped and cheered for them. The people thanked them for saving the ponies, very grateful.

"All in a day's adventure," Sonic said, and then Tails pulled his arm. "What, buddy?"

"Sonic, the sun is setting, and all RVs have to be out of the parking space by nightfall."

"That means us!" Sonic said, jumping ahead of the crew. "Come on, time to go!"

"On the road again!" Knuckles said, and he followed after Sonic with the others.

The people watched them leave, surprised. And as you know, on the road, home is where you park it, so Sonic returned to where it had been parked. The RV was safe and ready to move.

"Now, this time, I'll drive!" Sonic smiled proudly, holding the keys in his hand.

"Enjoy your fake keys, then!" Shadow snorted, running to the RV with the real keys.

"HEY!" Sonic shouted, chasing after Shadow into the RV.

"If they keep this up, we'll be on this island forever!" Tails said, sighing.

Metal-2 nodded at his friend, and then he turned to the hedgehogs. "End this, or I drive!"

"WHAT?" Sonic and Shadow asked, playing tug-o-war with the key ring.

"You heard him!" Amy said, tapping her foot. "Let's just go peacefully, okay?"

Sonic grinned. "Okay," and he took the keys from the surprised Shadow. "I drive!"

"Whatever," Shadow snorted, and he took a long sip of coffee, but it was cold. "GROSS!"

"Calm down," Tikal said after closing the door and everyone was safe inside the RV.

"Okay, hold on, here we go!" Sonic said, and he turned the key, leaving the parking place.

"I promise you first gear!" Shadow said, and then he fell back in his chair when Sonic drove.

"Bye, bye, Chincoteague," Amy said to the open window. "And hello new places ahead."

And while they drove away into the twilight, Dr. Eggman needed repairs for his ship, and Metal Sonic was already repaired, but Chaos Zero was still very worried about himself. He thought for sure that he was very ill, and he rested in a tree with an ice bag on his head. Metal Sonic ignored the creature, and he began working on repairs for the ship. Eggman had a TV dinner inside the ship, watching the screens for any signs of the RV. When he saw nothing, it seemed clear that they had left Chincoteague. But Eggman refused to believe that he lost. The RV was on its way into another journey with Sonic the Hedgehog as the driver, and so, what could go wrong?