Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Alabama Search ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 9: Alabama Search

After the storm left, the walking crew of Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends traveled down the path that they hardy knew, still finding it hard to believe that their RV was gone. Walking was something Sonic could hardy stand for long, but he had to remember the others behind him. They were still in Alabama, and their first mission was to find Tails and Metal-2 who disappeared in the storm. The others followed Sonic, the determined hedgehog who would never give up.

"But I miss my CD player," Sonic sighed, walking up another hill on the country road.

"I don't miss it at all," Shadow said, keeping his voice to himself. "But my coffee machine…"

"Any sign of them yet, Sonic?" Knuckles asked, coming to the blue hedgehog's side.

Sonic shook his head. "Nope, and I don't see any road signs, either."

Amy Rose, Rouge, and Tikal, who was carrying Freeway, came up the hill also.

"Boys, can't we take a break?" Amy asked, growing weaker after every step.

"We've been searching for hours!" Rouge said, "I can find treasure much faster."

"Maybe we should pretend they're treasure," Freeway suggested.

"We better keep moving," Sonic said to them. "I know you're tired, but keep going."

Tikal nodded. "Of course." She turned to Shadow. "You think we'll find them?" she asked.

Shadow shrugged his shoulders, silent, and then he continued to walk again. Knuckles kept his eyes open, looking around, and Sonic was glad to see the clouds starting to move away. Maybe when sunlight arrives, they will be able to find their missing friends. So far, no trucks or cars had been seen on the road they were walking on. If one did pass by, help was possible. Walking and following the path and leaping over puddles, Sonic and the others with him kept going. Everything seemed quiet on that road, but then they heard a sound. Sonic stopped and Knuckles did not see this, so he bumped into him, and then Shadow bumped into him.

"Hey! What's the big idea?" Knuckles asked, shaking a clenched fist.

"A knuckles sandwich?" Shadow asked because the echidna was between the two hedgehogs.

Knuckles glared, turning an eye to the black one, but Sonic stopped them. "Wait! Listen…"

Everyone stopped and listened, and it was the sound of an engine.

"Oh, we're saved!" Tikal cheered before she even saw what it was.

Freeway poked her head out from the girl echidna's backpack. "What's that?" she asked.

Sonic looked in the direction, standing upright. He could hardly see what the moving object was with the sunlight shining in his eyes as it began to escape through what was left of the storm clouds in the sky. It came closer and closer until the crew saw to their surprise, a red RV. It passed them, driving on the road nice and easy. It was unexpected, but at least it was not a threat.

"Hey, Sonic, did you see what just passed us?" Knuckles asked, still watching it.

Sonic only nodded, and then he saw the RV slow down to a stop. It drove backward until it came back to Sonic and his crew, who were standing on the side of the road, safely out of its way. Still unsure, Sonic kept the others behind him, listening and watching. He heard footsteps inside the RV, and then a door opened, revealing someone Sonic could never have guessed. It was a little man, dressed in blue overalls, red shirt, and a red cap. He had blue eyes and a big smile.

"It's-a-me, Mario!" he said, stepping out to the astonished Sonic crew.

"You again?!" Sonic asked, surprised. "You're the guy who owns that Italian restaurant!"

"Yeah, we saw him on all our crazy road trips, so far," Knuckles added.

"Hello!" Mario greeted them happily. "I see you are, let's say, stuck. Am I a-right, hmm?"

Sonic nodded to answer. "Yeah, and we have to find our two missing friends…"

"And our RV, too," Amy added. "We lost it in the storm not too long ago."

"What a pity, such a shame," Mario sighed. "But come, and we'll take you into town."

"That's very kind of you," said Tikal, and Freeway shyly nodded.

"No, I'm not leaving without Tails," Sonic refused. "He could still be out here, somewhere."

"I believe you'll find what you're looking for if you step inside." Mario opened the door.

"What?" Sonic asked, and without waiting for an answer, he stepped inside.

To his great surprise, Sonic saw not only Metal-2, but also Tails at a small table, sitting down and they were unharmed. The Princess Peach served Tails hot chocolate and blueberry muffins to enjoy. Not knowing if he should laugh or cry, Sonic hugged Tails tightly with relief and gladness.

"Tails, you're alive, you're safe!" he said, looking the fox over. "You okay, buddy?"

Tails smiled. "Sure, I'm fine," he said. "Metal-2 found me, and then they found us."

Then the others came inside, happy to see Tails and Metal-2 again.

"Tails!" Knuckles shouted when he saw the young fox. "We were worried to death over you, thinking that twister ate you, and all along, you were being served like a king!"

The others laughed, and then Amy hugged Metal-2, happily. "Metal-2, you're all right!"

"Of course, and can't get any better," Metal-2 said, returning the hug.

"Looks like I'll need to bake more muffins," said Peach, walking back to the kitchen.

In the driver seat, Luigi looked behind at the new passengers. "Ah, welcome, you all!"

"Oh, look, he's here, too," Sonic said, recognizing Mario's brother.

"Time to move along now…" Mario closed the door. "The next town is not far away."

"Yes, so in the meantime, make yourselves at home here," Peach said.

"Thanks, you guys." Sonic smiled, and then he joined Tails at the table.

"I could have gone there on foot, you know," Shadow said. "And alone, too."

The RV began to move, and Sonic chuckled. "I bet you could."

"When we get into town we can start a search for the RV," said Tikal.

"Decorate it with jewels, and I'll find it in five minutes." Rouge smiled.

Knuckles shook his head. "Brilliant, Rouge, but we still gotta find it first."

"And we will," Sonic promised them.

Metal-2 looked at Mario, curious. "So, what brings you on the road?"

Mario sat down and explained. "We're on vacation, leaving our beautiful restaurant for a little while. I could not find a better way to do it than driving in one of these because my brother and I always encountered you in one before. And besides, it's a great day for golf!"

"Golf?" The Sonic crew asked him together.

Mario nodded. "Correct," he said. "Alabama is a nice state when you get to know it."

"I guess I'll give it another chance," Knuckles said quietly.

Tikal giggled. "Knuckles, the storm was not Alabama's fault."

"And it wasn't mine either," Sonic reminded them. "I didn't ask that question."

"Question?" Luigi asked him, still driving. "What question?"

"What could possibly--?" Before Sonic could ask it, Knuckles covered his mouth.

Confused, Mario blinked, and then there was a sound heard outside, and the RV they were in began to shake until Luigi stopped driving. He scratched his head, looking out a window.

"What happened?" Peach asked him, walking to the front seat.

Luigi turned to the others, unbuckling. "Looks like we got a flat tire."

"Oh, really? Is that a fact?" Mario asked, and Luigi nodded.

"Oh no! We're too late!" Knuckles gasped. "I told you, Sonic, but you never listen!"

"Yeah, and for that, you're changing the tire," Shadow scolded.

Sonic moaned, closing his eyes, but Tails comforted him. "Don't worry, Sonic. I'll help."

"I will also," Metal-2 offered, and then Sonic cheered up with a smile.

= = = = =

Later that day…

After changing the flat tire, Sonic and the crew traveled with Mario into a town in Alabama. The red RV stopped to rest, and everyone stepped outside into the warm sunshine. It was a calm day, so maybe that would give Sonic a better chance of finding the lost RV.

"No time to lose, guys," Sonic said to his crew. "Let's have a look around and ask if anyone has seen a white RV with blue stripes." He scratched his head. "And its name is Cross Country."

"I was hoping we would go looking for the USS Enterprise," Shadow joked.

"If we live long enough, maybe it'll find us," Knuckles said.

Sonic cleared his throat, catching the crew's attention. "Okay, we'll go in teams. Shadow, you're with Rouge, Tikal and Amy, you stay together with Freeway, Knuckles, you're with Metal-2, and Tails comes with me. We'll split up and meet here in one hour. If anyone has any news, give it."

"Okay!" The crew answered, but Shadow only nodded, silent.

The others all went separate ways, searching. Sonic turned back to Mario and Luigi.

"Thanks again for the ride," Sonic said, smiling and shaking the man's hand.

"No problem at all," Mario said. "You're welcome, and I hope you find your RV."

Sonic nodded, and then he left with Tails following him. With so many streets and people, Sonic hardly knew where to begin, but there had to be a clue somewhere nearby. He kept looking.

"If only I had my laptop, we would know the streets better," Tails said, following Sonic.

Sonic agreed. "Yeah, this is a strange place, but it's a start. We'll find something."

Meanwhile, Amy and Tikal were in the middle of a crowd with busy folks.

"Excuse me," Amy said, trying to speak to the people, but they walked passed her.

"Please, could you help us?" Tikal asked, but the people were in a hurry, shopping and working.

"This isn't working very well," Amy said to herself, and Freeway sighed, tired.

And over on another part of town, Knuckles and Metal-2 reached a car sale. Many people gathered to see cars and trucks at a low price. Knuckles thought it was a place to ask.

"Has anyone seen a white RV, long with blue stripes and answers to Cross Country?"

One of the car salesmen looked down at the red echidna. "We don't sell RVs," he said.

"No, I'm not here to buy," said Knuckles. "I asked if you have seen any."

"If you're not here to buy, then get lost!" the man pointed. "We don't want any trouble."

"That still doesn't answer his question," Metal-2 said, crossing his arms.

The man shrugged angrily. "No," he replied. "No, I haven't seen any RVs today."

Knuckles sighed, disappointed. "Thanks anyway. Come on, Metal-2." And they left.

If we travel the other way, we find Shadow and Rouge looking for clues. The black hedgehog walked on a sidewalk, looking at posters of lost and found items as he passed windows of buildings. He saw no found RVs, or anything that had to do with them. He stopped at the end of the sidewalk, looking left and right to cross, and then he looked to see Rouge, but she was gone.

"Huh?" He turned around, looking for her.

He walked calmly until he came to the white bat that was not hurt or lost, but she was looking in a jewelry store window, gazing at gems. Shadow stopped next to her, crossing his arms.

"Rouge, come on, this is no time for window shopping," he said. "We have to find the RV."

"They're so pretty," Rouge said, still looking in the window.

Shadow growled. "How did I ever get stuck working with you?"

"That's a long story," Rouge answered, keeping her eyes on the jewels.

"That's not what I meant, and quit making me talk so much. You know I'm a quiet type."

"Your tongue, not mine," Rouge teased, chuckling.

Just then, inside the jewelry store, a man placed a new item for window shoppers to see. This gem caught Rouge's eye instantly. It was a shining green emerald, and it was familiar.

"Oh, look, a Chaos Emerald!" Rouge said, pointing excitedly at it. Silent, Shadow just looked.

Then a voice laughed behind them. "That's music to my ears!" It was Dr. Eggman, of course.

Shadow quickly pushed Rouge down to the sidewalk when Eggman suddenly fired at the window, breaking the glass, and it shattered on Shadow, who was shielding Rouge. Metal Sonic was quicker than the eye when he snatched the jewel. Then he returned to the Egg Hornet.

"Eggman!" Shadow shouted when he saw the mad scientist.

"Hey, we found that emerald first!" Rouge said, standing up with Shadow.

"You're too late this time," said Eggman in his ship. "Now I demand you surrender!"

Shadow grinned. "You forgot to say please, Mister Eggnog."

Eggman growled angrily. "Metal, make things clear for that black hedgehog!"

"Acknowledged," said Metal Sonic, and he landed on the sidewalk, glaring.

"Bring it on, tin faker!" Shadow challenged, and Rouge had to jump away to safety before Metal Sonic rushed to the hedgehog. They fought their way into the jewelry store.

The cashier inside ran out in a panic, and then Rouge hurried inside. "Shadow!" she called.

Before she could reach him, Chaos Zero appeared in front of her. "Halt!"

Rouge gasped and stopped, surprised. "What do you want?" she asked him.

"What do I want?" Chaos repeated. "Well, um…I…uh…I…" he stopped, confused.

"Oh, come on now, you must have come in here looking for something."

"Yeah!" Chaos said, nodding. "That's it! I'm looking for something. But what?"

Rouge waited a moment, hearing him mumbling things to himself, trying to remember. "Let me know when you find out." Then she left him, running to Shadow and Metal Sonic.

Shadow was thrown toward a glass table, but he leaped another way to avoid getting cut. Rouge kicked Metal Sonic from behind, sending him into the table, shattering it. Shadow attacked the enemy robot again, and then Rouge had to face Chaos again. He blocked her way to Shadow.

"Now I know!" Chaos said, pointing. "I was looking for you!"

"Oh, really?" Rouge asked, secretly feeling for something behind her.

"Really," Chaos assured the bat. "No doubt about it. Now give up nicely and--"

Chaos stopped when Rouge lifted a terrifying thing in front of him. It was a mirror. Screaming, Chaos turned and fled the building, never looking back. Metal Sonic was sent outside, flying after Shadow used a spin dash attack on him. Then Shadow stepped outside, glaring up at the ship.

Eggman began to sweat. "You win this round," he said, escaping before the police would arrive. Chaos was long gone, and Metal Sonic followed the Egg Hornet ship. They were gone.

The cashier peeked from behind a trashcan to see Shadow and Rouge. "You saved me!"

"Yeah, yeah," Shadow said, tossing a gold coin to the man. "For the mess." Then he left.

The man looked at the coin, amazed to see that it was real. "Wow," he whispered.

"Wait up!" Rouge called, running to catch up with Shadow.

"This isn't good at all," said Shadow, leaving. "He's got a Chaos Emerald, and for free!"

"We'll get it back," Rouge said, crossing a street with him. "We have to find the others."

They hurried to the meeting place, and Sonic was waiting for them with the crew.

"I hope you have some good news," Sonic said to them. "The others found nothing."

"We didn't find or see it, but we saw Eggman," Shadow told him.

"And he took my Chaos Emerald!" Rouge said sadly.

"What?" Sonic asked, very surprised at the news. "Eggman is here? Where?"

"He's gone now," Rouge answered. "He was at the jewelry store with Metal and Chaos."

"This is going to be harder than I thought," Sonic said, sighing.

"It always turns out that way these days," said Knuckles.

Suddenly, something white, small and round landed near Sonic on the ground. Curious, Sonic looked down. "It's a golf ball," he said, realizing that they were very close to a golf course.

"You found it! You found it!" Mario shouted, running down a hill with Luigi following.

"What a nice shot!" Luigi praised his brother when they came to the ball. "Special wonderful!"

Mario nodded proudly. "Thank you," he said. "And now, I would like you to try. Here you go." He offered his golf club to Sonic. Trying to smile, Sonic took it.

"Thanks, but I think Metal-2 should try," Sonic said, passing it. "He's a great shot."

"I am?" Metal-2 asked, blinking while holding it.

"Splendid!" Mario said, stepping aside and away from the ball with Luigi and Peach.

"Go ahead, Metal-2. Hit it to the moon!" Amy cheered for him, clapping her hands.

"Very well." Metal-2 stood near the ball, aimed, and then he swung the club, hitting it.

The ball flew high up into the air, vanishing into the blue sky, amazing the viewers below. It flew until it hit an astronaut's helmet while he worked on a satellite. He never knew what hit him.

The astronaut looked around, confused. "Houston, we have a problem…"

Back on the ground, Sonic turned and looked at Amy. "Be careful what you say around him."

After playing a little golf, Sonic and the others left, still determined to find the lost RV.