Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Fork in the Road ( Chapter 20 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 20: Fork in the Road
 
After crossing the marvelous New Mexico state borderline, the RV entered Colorado, the state of endless possibilities. Metal-2 drove, giving Sonic and Shadow some much needed rest. It was still dark outside, peaceful, and everyone was sleeping, except for the android. Metal-2 glanced down at the road map. According to the plan, once they entered and spent a little time in Colorado, they would move toward the east. There are so many wonderful places to visit, which makes it difficult to make a choice. The sun was gently rising, painting the lovely sky with daylight. The thought of stopping somewhere to make breakfast came to Metal-2 as he was driving when Sonic, who was snoring in the front passenger chair beside him, tossed and turned in his sleep. As he turned onto his side, he touched the radio dial with his foot by mistake. Instantly, the radio turned on with a song, and the volume was so loud, it woke up the entire RV crew.
“Oh no!” Metal-2 said as he worked on stopping the RV while trying to find the off switch.
Knuckles fell from his bed, which was above the two front seats and onto the couch where Shadow and Tails were awakened. The girls screamed in the back as the RV came to a stop.
“Get off my face!” Shadow scolded the red echidna.
“There would be room if your face wasn't so big!” And they tackled.
“I almost thought my nightmare came true,” Tails said on the floor.
“Oh? What was it?” Metal-2 asked.
“The sky fell,” the sleepy fox replied, rubbing his eyes awake.
Just then the girls dared to peek out. “What happened?” Amy asked.
“Well…” Before Metal-2 could explain, Sonic woke up yawning.
“Good morning, everyone,” Sonic cheerfully greeted them. “Hey, you're up early.”
“We didn't have much of a choice,” said Rouge.
“Wait,” said Metal-2. “You mean you didn't hear the radio, Sonic?”
“Of course I did,” he answered. “But not recently.” He yawned again.
“Well, you turned it on with your foot while asleep. That's why I stopped the RV.”
Shadow and Knuckles stopped fighting and faced Sonic. “So he's responsible…”
“I don't know what you're talking about,” Sonic said, sweating now.
“GET HIM!” The crew said, and before Sonic knew it, he was surrounded with pokes.
While they were laughing and playing a war of pokes, a ship passed over the parked RV, going so fast; it was hardly noticeable. It was Dr. Eggman, avoiding the road traffic by flying over them and speeding, no doubt. He was in a hurry for breakfast. He was so hungry; he did not even know his target was beneath him then. Our heroes were also hungry, and that was soon announced when growling stomachs made their complaints. After poking him silly, they let Sonic go.
“I drive!” Shadow snatched the keys from Metal-2 and sat down.
Sonic could hardly move from his chair as he gave himself time to recover from the poking. The others settled down when Shadow promised to take them to a restaurant that was just up the road.
“But we can just make breakfast in here,” Tikal said after closing a kitchen cabinet.
“We're low on supplies,” Shadow said. “And besides, I hear they have good coffee.”
“Yuck,” said Cream, making Cheese and Freeway giggled.
The RV was on its way again with Shadow as the driver for the morning.
“And with Shadow as the driver, be very sure to buckle up,” Sonic whispered.
“I can hear you!”
= = = = =
 
Not long after the RV began to travel down the road, Sonic saw something sparkle in the street. He was sitting in the front passenger seat next to Shadow, the current driver. The blue hedgehog did not know for sure what was ahead of them, but it was directly in their path.
“Shadow, stop!!” Sonic yelled it out with great urgency.
Without asking questions, Shadow hit the breaks to stop. The tires screeched loudly with dust from the street flying around them. The RV stopped just in time with the front right tire just barely touching the small, mysterious shiny object outside in front of our travelers. After everyone calmed down, Shadow blinked his eyes and turned to face Sonic.
“Care to explain this?” he asked.
“I saw something,” Sonic answered. “It's out there.” And he pointed at the windshield.
“Let me guess,” said Knuckles. “It's a town with no breakfast.”
“Is it another turtle?” Tikal asked.
“Jewels!” Rouge said, opening a window to see. “Where are the jewels?!”
“Maybe Mister Sonic found a shortcut to the restaurant,” Cream said to Cheese.
“Shortcut?” Tails asked, “If there were any, I would've known about it, right?”
“That depends if your laptop is working or not,” said Amy.
“I am recharging its batteries,” Metal-2 said with a smile.
Hearing that, Tikal gasped. “Without the laptop, we're lost!”
“Ever heard of a folding map before?” Rouge asked, showing one to her.
“Hey!” Shadow shouted. “Listen, Sonic, you better have a good reason to go and stop my ultimate driving like that. If it wasn't for an endangered animal, you may become one yourself!”
After a moment of silence, Knuckles said, “Whoa. I didn't know he cared.”
Sonic cleared his throat and then he explained. “Well, I saw something shiny on the road ahead of us, so I thought it was something that would give us a flat. But, I, being a caring co-pilot with experienced cat-like vision, I stopped your driving and saved the day!” he grinned.
“Yeah right,” said Knuckles. “With the way you care, you're blind as a bat.” Then Rouge pinched him. “Ouch!” the echidna yelped.
“Let's go see what it is,” Tails said, opening the side door.
Sonic and Metal-2 went with him while the others watched. Shadow was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel inside, still unhappy about this. Tails stopped in front of the RV, crouched down and looked at the tires. Sonic scratched his head and wondered if he saw a mirage.
Tails reached under the RV, near the right front tire and stood up with the discovery. “Hey, I found something!” He held it in his hand, showing it to the others that were with him.
“What is it, Tails?” Metal-2 asked, curiously poking it.
“It's a fork,” he answered.
Sonic was both surprised and disappointed. “What? A fork on the road? How many times have I told people not to litter on this pretty blue planet?”
“It's not just any fork; it's a gold fork,” Metal-2 announced after scanning it.
Sonic shrugged. “So what? It's still littering.”
“Someone once said that if there is a fork in the road, take it,” Tails said, smiling.
Sonic took the fork from him. “And with a fork of gold, it might give me good luck.”
“You mean, whenever you eat with it, food will always taste good?” Tails asked.
“I guess that's one reason, but I was thinking more of protection.”
“Protection against that cursed question of yours?” Metal-2 asked.
“There's only one way to find out…”
Tails gasped. “No, Sonic, don't do it!”
“Don't worry, little buddy,” Sonic said with a carefree grin. “Just watch…”
Silent, Tails and Metal-2 slowly backed away as Sonic closed his eyes to ask it.
“What could possibly go—Aahhhhhhhh!” He screamed when Shadow pressed on the RV horn, which made a loud noise while Sonic was still in front of the RV.
“…wrong?” And then Sonic fell over on the street, still holding the fork.
Tails and Metal-2 came back and carried Sonic inside the RV to continue the journey. Shadow never looked at the fork. He felt it would bring nothing but bad news. They tried to warn Sonic about asking that question again, but at least he was not hurt. He just needed a little nap.
= = = = =
 
Meanwhile…
“Oh no! Something has gone wrong! So wrong!” Dr. Eggman was in a panic.
The scientist was inside a restaurant, sitting at a table, but he did not eat his breakfast. Across the table, Chaos was reading the newspaper until Eggman spoke, and then he tossed it away.
“There's too much bad news in the world,” Chaos said sadly. “I want peace!”
“Good,” said Metal Sonic on the chair next to him. “Let us start by exterminating you.”
Chaos gently put a hand on the robot's shoulder. “Metal, your tiny eyes…they're so closed.”
“Tiny?” Metal asked quietly, facing the readers. Yes, you.
Chaos continued with his eyes watering more than usual. “Someday, my friend, I hope you'll understand the true meaning of being good to feel good about yourself.”
“You brainless puddle, I cannot feel anything...” Then Metal hit Chaos on the head with a pitcher, which made him sink down under the table. “But I can imagine how good it feels to do that.”
Eggman growled. “Metal! Chaos!”
“He started it!” they both said at the same time, pointing at each other.
“No, not that,” said Eggman. “Stupidity is a part of your so-called daily lives, but my special golden fork is missing! I can't eat without it. I'll starve to death if it's not found soon.”
“If starvation is the problem, we have all the time in the world,” Metal said.
“What did you say, Metal?” Eggman asked with his nose barely touching Metal's nose.
“I said…We will search the world if necessary, to get your fork back.”
“You two find my fork before lunchtime, or else…”
“Or else what?” Chaos asked.
“You do not want to know,” Metal said, standing up to leave. “Come on.”
“And don't come back without it!” Eggman commanded before the door closed.
Chaos sighed, standing outside the restaurant. “Now what?”
“What else? We search for the fork. Maybe he dropped it on the road not far from here.”
“Hey, what if the RV found it first?”
Before Metal could either give an answer or slap him, he saw the RV approaching. “Speak of the road hog, here it comes now!”
Chaos was about to panic, saying, “Oh me, oh my! What should we do?”
Metal quickly thought of a stealthy plan. “I know. This time we will ambush them.”
“But I don't see any bushes around here.”
“Hide, you raindrop!” Metal pushed him behind the entrance door and they hid there.
The RV parked in front of the lonely restaurant which also had a gas station. Even though it was small, it was like a friendly restaurant for both people and cars. And RVs, of course.
“Free at last!” Knuckles was the first one to leap outside.
“Wait for us, Knuckles!” Amy called with Tikal, Cream and Cheese following.
Rouge stepped outside, putting a layer of pink lipstick on. Tails carried Freeway in his backpack while Sonic and Shadow came outside with the fox and Metal-2.
“Is everyone here?” Sonic asked.
“It's a little late to ask a question like that, Sonic,” said Tails. “We're hundreds of miles from home.” Hearing that, Freeway poked her baby deer head out into the world.
“Forget that,” Shadow said, walking ahead of the two. “Lose that stupid fork.”
“It's not stupid,” Sonic protested. “It's very special, and I think it found me.”
Shadow shook his head, murmuring something to himself as he entered the restaurant. Sonic and Tails shrugged and then followed along with Metal-2 and Rouge.
“Allow me,” said Metal-2 opening the door wide for the crew.
They thanked him and stepped inside, but they did not know that Metal and Chaos were being crushed between the door and the wall. Eggman already left the building.
“Wow,” Cream said in amazement. “Isn't this place nice, Cheese?” And he nodded.
They all sat down and read the menu to order breakfast. Tails was bottle feeding Freeway with strawberry milk, her favorite. Shadow quietly drank a cup of coffee, thinking. While their breakfast was being cooked in the kitchen, the crew talked about their trip and made a few plans of where to go next. The smell of food seemed to dull the planning ideas in the hungry Sonic. He was looking down at a road map on the table when Cream's breakfast was served.
“Thank you,” Cream said politely to the waitress. Her breakfast was…
“ICE CREAM?!” The crew all asked at once, very surprised to see it.
Knuckles fell from his chair and Cream giggled. “It's my favorite,” she told them.
Just then the door slammed shut, trapping Sonic and his friends inside. It was Metal and Chaos. The robot hedgehog could not stand being crushed between the door and wall any longer, so he decided to ambush them earlier than planned. The crew was silent, stunned at the intruders.
“You are trapped, tourists,” Metal said to them. “Surrender in the name of Doctor Eggman.”
“Yeah,” Chaos quickly added. “The ice cream is all mine, right down to the cherry!”
“Oh no!” Cream gasped. Cheese quickly ate the cheery to save it.
Metal slapped Chaos on the head. “No, we are here to take the fork, not ice cream!”
“Can't you guys bother us after breakfast?” Amy asked, cutting her pancake.
“Wait. Did you say fork?” Metal-2 asked the enemy robot.
“Are you deaf, factory reject? Of course I said fork. It belongs to my maker.”
“It's a very special golden fork,” Chaos explained while rubbing his head.
Sonic smiled. “See, Shadow? I told you it was special.” Shadow was silent.
“What makes it so special, anyway?” Rouge asked.
“It is a secret,” said Metal. “And now, hand it over immediately!”
“Or we'll use the Force and take it!” Chaos threatened.
Metal sighed. “You mean we will take it by force.”
Sonic, leaving his breakfast on the table, stood on his feet. “No way!”
“Uh…Sonic?” Knuckles asked, but he saw how determined Sonic was.
Shadow hardly paid any attention as the fight began. Sonic and Metal had a duel fight with spoons, clashing them together like swords. Cream screamed with fear when Chaos approached. Silent and cunning, the watery predator made his way toward the rabbit and chao.
“Hurry, Cheese!” Cream called, and she ran around the table in a circle.
Rouge saw the little rabbit girl running with the ice cream. She waited until Cream and Cheese passed by and then held her plate up in front of Chaos. His face crashed into it, leaving him with eggs for eyes and a strip of bacon for his mouth. Amy made an odd face at the sight before laughing out loud. Meanwhile, Sonic and Metal-2 were busy fighting Metal, each one holding a fork. Sonic had the golden fork as his weapon. Knuckles was at a complete loss. He did not know what to do. Since Sonic left his breakfast, Tails hungrily helped himself. In the duel, Sonic was cornered and did not see the danger coming. Metal threw his spoon at Metal-2's face, distracting him long enough to take the trapped Sonic by the throat. He was chocking.
“Sonic!” Metal-2 called, but the enemy robot tightened the grip when he tried to come closer.
“I am not going to ask you again. Give me the fork, hedgehog.”
Sonic was unable to hold it anymore and dropped the golden fork. Metal caught it with his free hand before it could touch the floor. Because of the backup Sonic had, including Metal-2, who was aiming his blasters, Metal let Sonic go. He quickly left before Metal-2 could fire and Chaos blindly went outside after him. The others hurried to Sonic, very worried.
“Are you okay, Sonic?” Tails said, “He's gone now.” Sonic nodded and coughed.
“But he took the fork with him,” Metal-2 said.
“Don't worry about that,” Sonic told them all. “I have all the luck I need right here.”
And that meant his friends. They had no problem agreeing and were touched by his words. Even though the fork meant something to him, it was not as important as the friends that cannot be replaced. Still, what Sonic did not tell them right away, was he had a fake golden fork made earlier with paint, and it came in handy because Metal took it, leaving him with the real one. Sonic was very hungry after that duel, but he almost screamed when he saw his plate empty. Tails hid behind Metal-2 while all the others laughed. They had to order breakfast all over again.