Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Triple trouble ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5: Triple trouble

The morning came slowly and the sun was sending its golden light to awake the sleeping team of Sonic the Hedgehog. The blue hero was the first to awake from a restful sleep and he quietly made his way toward the driver seat. He gripped the steering wheel, sitting down on the chair. He let out a sleepy yawn before turning the key, starting the RV. It began to move and he drove on quietly and somehow, he did not wake anyone up from sleep. It was still the early morning and he saw the sun rising, giving light. He wanted to make it into town so his friends could have some breakfast there and then they would be on their way in the journey.

"You're up early." A voice whispered, and Sonic turned to see that it was Shadow. The black hedgehog sat down in the front seat beside the driver, buckling.

"Yeah, so are you." Sonic whispered, and then he turned his eyes back on the road.

"Are we close to a town yet?" Shadow asked him, quietly.

"Yes, very close now. We should be there soon." Sonic replied.

Then Shadow sat quietly, watching the road in front of him. He soon saw a town ahead of them and then the others began to wake up. They were surprised to feel the RV moving. Knuckles rubbed his sleepy eyes and then he looked toward the front. He saw Sonic and Shadow there and then he sat up on the sofa while Tails sat up, blinking his eyes awake.

"Hey, we're moving." The fox said, sleepily. "Sonic, where are we now?" He asked.

"We're almost in Louisiana." Sonic answered, driving into a town.

Tails looked outside the window. He saw green trees and the wind was fresh in the morning. The sky was gray and maybe that was a sign of rain. He heard the girls giggling about something in the back room behind a closed door. They entered Louisiana and the morning came with it. The sun seemed to make the gray clouds melt away. It became nice, bright and clear.

"We'll stop and have breakfast and then we'll walk through a park for the afternoon, just to stop and rest a while." Sonic explained, "I'll fill up the RV and then we'll head out again."

And so, leaving the dust behind them, Sonic and his team entered a city and another adventure.

= = = = =

Later that day when the afternoon arrived, Sonic and his friends found a nice, quiet park. They heard the birds singing and the butterflies flew over them with flowers covering the ground. It was a wonderful place but it was also a hot afternoon, and that calls for one thing…

"Sonic, would it be okay if everyone had an ice cream cone?" Tails asked him.

"Wow, that sounds cool. Let's do that. You guys have any favorites?" Sonic asked.

"Strawberry! Anything pink!" Amy answered, leaping into the air with excitement.

"Right." Sonic said, turning to the others. "Tails, how about you?" He asked him.

"I'll take chocolate fudge, please." Tails replied, and Sonic licked his lips.

"Good choice. Tikal and Rouge, what about you girls?" He asked them.

"Orange sherbet would be delightful. Thank you." Tikal told him.

"Me? Well, I prefer chocolate chip, of course." Rouge said, smiling.

"Okay, got it. Knuckles?" Sonic asked him, "What would you like?"

"Vanilla." Knuckles said, and then Sonic looked surprised.

"Vanilla?" Sonic asked, to be sure. "Just plain white vanilla?"

"Yeah, vanilla. That's what I said and that's what I like." Knuckles told him.

"All right, fine. And you, Shadow?" Sonic asked, turning to the black hedgehog.

"Mint chocolate chip." Shadow answered, and he could not hold back his grin.

Sonic grinned back. "Cool. I'm going for chocolate almond." He said, and they left together.

= = = = =

While our courageous team enjoyed cold ice cream together, they did not know that they were being watched. The spying eyes of Dr. Eggman found them at last, after a search. He took another lick from his ice cream spoon. He had a gallon bucket of vanilla ice cream for himself.

"Coming to a swamp like Louisiana was not my idea of a vacation, but if that's where the Emerald is located, what choice do I have? I must proceed and find it." Eggman said.

Standing beside his ship was Metal Sonic and Chaos, and so Eggman told them his plan, which he thought was totally brilliant [like all the others that made him lose.]

"Okay, you two, we found the hedgehog and he's inside the park. I want you both to move in and attack, bring me the Emerald and destroy that pest of a hedgehog." He laughed.

"Whatever you say, boss." Metal Sonic said, "By your command, it shall be done."

"Destroy all enemies." Chaos added, hissing with delight.

"That's good, that's very good indeed." Eggman said, happy to see hope for his victory. "And now with our little surprise ready for him, Sonic will find himself in a very tight spot, perhaps in jaws." He grinned at the large box, which said: Caution: Dangerous Alligator.

"Oh, I'm so bad, so evil, so clever, I scare even myself." The villain said to himself.

Metal Sonic and Chaos looked at each other, shrugging shoulders.

"What are you two fools waiting for? Get going and get that hedgehog, now!" Eggman ordered.

= = = = =

Sonic finished the last bite of his ice cream cone and it was a nice relief to have something cold during a hot afternoon. He sat in a park with his friends as they rested under the shade of green trees, listening to the wind blow through the branches above them. Tails was sitting on a large rock, licking the last of his ice cream when he felt hot breath breathe on his neck. He froze with fear, not daring to move and Amy looked toward him. She screamed when she saw an alligator behind Tails. At the sound of Amy's scream, the team all jumped to their feet, alert and watchful, but Shadow hurried and finished his last bite before standing ready to fight.

"What's going on?" Sonic asked, looking around the area.

Just then, they saw Tails and Amy running toward them, screaming. "Alligator!"

"Huh? Where?" Shadow asked, and then he saw it appear from behind a bush.

Its mouth was terrible, its jaws were huge, able to damage and even kill easily. One can only think of the bad breath it may have, but the brave Sonic stepped forward, furious.

"No scaly piece of luggage is going to harm my friends!" He said, and ran toward it.

"HELP!" Amy screamed, hanging onto Tails who was holding a tree branch.

The alligator was right below them, trying to reach for Amy's leg and have a bite. It nearly reached her but then Sonic kicked its face, knocking it down to the ground. Shadow and Knuckles came running behind the blue hedgehog, on their way to help him.

"Tails, are you and Amy okay up there?" Sonic asked, looking up at the tree.

"We're alive and grateful for it!" Tails answered, not daring to let go.

"Sonic, look out!" Knuckles warned, but it was too late.

The alligator's strong tail swung and hit Sonic on the head, throwing him down to the ground. He did not move after he had fallen beside the tree. Shadow ran faster, reaching the attacker.

"I promise you revenge!" Shadow said, growling as he jumped into a homing attack.

"Here's a nice fruit punch!" Knuckles said, giving the killer alligator a punch with his fist.

The alligator let out a growl of rage, attacking them both while Sonic lay still, not moving. Shadow avoided the huge jaws, which snapped at him, trying to take his arm. While all this was happening, Metal Sonic and Chaos watched and laughed quietly, hidden from sight. Tails heard a snap above him and it was the tree branch. It was breaking a little at a time. It would not last long.

"Sonic!" Amy called, crying when she saw that he was still not moving.

"Here I come, you creep!" Shadow said, attacking the alligator again.

"Shadow, watch out for its mouth! It's coming right for you!" Knuckles warned.

Shadow jumped out of reach and then the alligator turned to Knuckles with its mouth still open wide, sharp teeth clearly seen and Knuckles felt its hot breath. The red echidna was forced to scream when the dangerous mouth came in front of his face and he could even smell its breath now and see its tongue. Shadow moved quickly and pulled Knuckles by the arms.

"Get outta there!" Shadow yelled, pulling him away to safety before the jaws closed.

"As always, I have to be beauty and brains." Rouge said, stepping forward, holding a small bottle of her perfume. She sprayed it on the alligator's nose and the scent made it sneeze.

The alligator turned away, sneezing and ran toward the water, disappearing from sight. Shadow and Knuckles sighed with relief, and then suddenly, the tree branch broke. Tails and Amy fell to the ground, unharmed. The team gathered around Sonic and his head was wounded.

"Sonic! Sonic, can you hear me?" Shadow asked, gripping his hand tightly.

Sonic could not answer but he was breathing. He could hear Shadow's voice but it seemed to be so far away. His head hurt and he found it hard to move or open his eyes. Shadow continued to hold his hand and then suddenly, Metal Sonic and Chaos appeared, standing to attack.

"Give up the Emerald and the hedgehog and no one will get hurt!" Metal Sonic said.

"Oh, yeah?" Knuckles asked, standing up, angry. "You're the ones who did this?"

"Yeah!" Metal Sonic and Chaos answered, nodding their heads, yes.

"Then you're going to pay!" Knuckles growled, moving to attack them.

"Leave Chaos to me!" Shadow said; running toward the enemy while Knuckles faced Metal Sonic. The black hedgehog fought Chaos with all his strength, careful and watchful.

Knuckles tried to punch Metal Sonic but the robot was too fast as it moved from left to right, avoiding each hit. Then Metal took the echidna's hands and he began to push him down to the ground. Knuckles closed his eyes tight, sweating and fighting to keep standing but he soon fell to his knees, unable to fight against the robot for long.

"You bully, let him go!" Amy said, and then she hit Metal hard on the head with her hammer.

Metal Sonic was damaged in the head and he let go of Knuckles, spinning in a circle, slowly. Knuckles stood up beside Amy and they watched the robot leave with a damaged head. Meanwhile, Shadow was pushed against a rock with the deadly claws of Chaos at his throat. Shadow struggled to breathe but that was difficult. He gasped for air once more before closing his eyes. He stopped fighting but then, someone suddenly kick Chaos down, freeing Shadow.

"Shadow, stand up, quickly!" Sonic called, standing in front of the fallen Chaos.

"Here I am, Sonic! But are you all right?" Shadow asked, now standing next to him.

"Never mind that now! Let's finish him!" Sonic said, giving Shadow's hand a grip.

"Let's do it!" Shadow said, and they both attacked Chaos, defeated him together.

Chaos vanished and Metal Sonic was nowhere to be seen. Sonic turned to his friends, still hurting in his head and he made sure that no one was wounded or lost. He was glad they were safe but he felt they should return to the RV. If Metal Sonic and Chaos were near, Eggman was somewhere in the area and that could only mean danger. Now that was triple trouble. After cheering for their victory, the team returned to the RV with Sonic in the lead. When they returned, it was safe and quiet but Sonic felt more pain in his head. He laid his hand on it, closing his eyes while sitting in the driver seat and he let out a weak sigh.

Shadow saw it and then he spoke. "Sonic, you're hurt and you need to rest."

"I don't have time to rest." Sonic moaned, keeping his green eyes closed.

"Make the time and you rest now." Shadow took him by the arm, gently leading him to a bed.

Sonic followed and Amy gave him a cup of cold water to drink. Sonic sat down on the bed and Amy lifted the cup to his mouth, giving him a drink. He opened his mouth, accepting it. He felt much better after that. He had friends that risked their lives for him. He never quite knew friends could be so strong. The feeling was new to him. He liked it. But with the enemies now on their trail, Sonic and his crew now had to be careful, listen and watch.