Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Living dreams ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 7: Living dreams

Knuckles the Echidna returned to the RV alone and he found the others there but sadly, Sonic and Shadow had not returned. He was so sure that they would be there, but they were not. He felt heavy and tired as he walked toward the team. They were standing by the RV, waiting. They all felt torn as if an important part of them was missing. They saw two friends gone.

"Where's Sonic and Shadow?" Amy asked the echidna.

"I don't know. I thought they would be here, but they had fallen in the lake." Knuckles replied, sadly shaking his head, no and looking down at the ground.

"Oh no." Rouge whispered, placing her hand over her mouth and worried in her eyes.

"We must call a search and find them. They've got to be here somewhere." Tails said.

"Right." Tikal said, "We should go in teams and I'm sure they'll be found."

"Okay, Tails and Amy, you search around the bridge. Tikal and Rouge, you will search the land near the lake, and I'll look in the water." Knuckles said to them, and they agreed to go.

They all went their separate ways, seeking the two hedgehogs, their friends.

= = = = =

After a struggle, a hand reached a low tree branch, gripping it tightly for life. It was the gloved hand of Sonic the Hedgehog. He had barley made it through and he never let go of Shadow. Sonic was weak as he pulled both Shadow and himself out of the lake, reaching land at last. Sonic coughed, falling to the ground with exhaustion and Shadow was beside him, quiet and still. After a moment of rest and recovery, Sonic turned to Shadow, on his hands and knees. His friend was on his back, on the wet ground and his eyes were closed, hardly breathing.

"Shadow?" Sonic could only whisper, weakly. "Shadow, wake up… please, wake up."

No answer, only cold silence. Sonic held Shadow up, helping him to breathe and finally, Shadow coughed the water out of his mouth. He could not open his eyes or speak.

"Come on, Shadow, don't fail me." Sonic whispered, holding him. "We can do this together. We must get back. Don't let go and don't give up. I know you can do it."

Shadow was without words but he squeezed the right arm of Sonic with a weak grip. Sonic felt it. He held Shadow, standing up on his feet. His legs trembled at first but he was determined to return with Shadow. He carried him, fighting his weakness and his doubts. He stopped for a moment and leaned against a tree and then he continued walking, holding Shadow. He heard Shadow cough again, weaker this time. The sound made Sonic go stronger as he fought harder with every step he took. Shadow gasped for air, unable to breathe and then Sonic stopped.

"Hey, don't quit! Shadow, don't let go!" Sonic said, strengthening Shadow and himself.

Shadow's eyes were closed and he coughed again, trying to breathe easy but it was difficult. Sonic helped him, never letting go and fighting to hope. But Shadow slipped out of his grip, falling to the ground. Sonic was weak and fell down with him.

"No… I--I won't let you give up." Sonic whispered, breathing heavily. "Shadow?"

His friend still could not answer but Sonic struggled, fighting until he stood up with Shadow again. He carried Shadow in his arms, walking again while feeling Shadow's heartbeat against his own. He held him that tight and close. He continued in the journey; he fought to win and to save.

= = = = =

The team gathered around the RV to report and sadly, it was not good news. Sonic and Shadow were nowhere to be found. They looked and searched, but only failure meant them. They felt hopelessness, helplessness and doubt was covering their sight of courage like a dark storm cloud. Knuckles stood, soak and wet with his wounded shoulder from the fight against Metal before Shadow fell. He heard the reports and closed his eyes with sadness in his sigh. Seeing this, each team member closed their eyes, feeling a sense of loss and despair. Amy wiped a tear away from her cheek and when she opened her eyes, she gasped when she saw Sonic coming.

"Look! It's Sonic and Shadow! They made it! They're back!" Amy shouted, joyfully.

The team opened their eyes and they all looked toward the direction where Amy was pointing. It was true. Sonic and Shadow had come back and they were alive. The team ran to them, some laughing and some crying. Sonic fell down to his knees with Shadow in his arms.

"Take him inside to recover." He forced his voice to say.

"We will, Sonic, just take it easy. You both need to rest." Knuckles said, and then he took Shadow away, carrying him into the RV while Rouge and Tails helped Sonic inside.

Shadow was placed on a warm bed and Sonic rested on the other bed close by on the other side of the small room. Sonic could not close his eyes. He was afraid of losing Shadow. Yes, he was actually afraid. He felt it. He turned his head and looked toward his friend. Shadow was asleep… or was he? Sonic could not take the dreadful thoughts going through his mind. He tried to sit up, but he could not move. He felt so heavy and he had used all his strength to return.

"Shadow…" Sonic whispered, as his eyes closed, falling asleep. He gripped the bed sheets in his hand as tight as he could, trying to hold on but he could not anymore. He finally fell asleep.

= = = = =

Meanwhile, Shadow was in a dream as he strove to reach recovery. He breathed heavily, running and panting. It was dark but suddenly, red lights began to flash and light the dim hallway of the space colony ARK. His heart pounded with fear in his chest, dreading and yet not knowing.

"Find them before they escape!" He heard the military men yell.

Shadow ran faster, forgetting completely that it was a dream. It was all happening again. The room became as black as midnight and then he closed his eyes, wishing that it would end. But then something made him open his eyes, and then he saw her, standing and looking at him.

"Maria!!" Shadow cried, raising his hands against the glass, which surrounded him in the chamber. He wanted to break out and reach her and he wanted to save her.

"Shadow…" Maria whispered, enough for him to hear her voice. "I beg of you… please do it for me… for a better future…"

"Maria!" He called her again, but she only continued speaking.

"For all people who live on that planet, give them a chance to be happy. Let them live for their dreams. Shadow, I know you can do it. That's the reason why you were brought into this world. Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog."

Shadow realized it was a dream. He remembered this. He shook his head, crying softly. "Maria, I didn't forget. I promise you and I will never let it go. Wishes are eternal." He whispered in his sleep.

= = = = =

At the same time, Sonic was also having a dream of a time and place he remembered well. He was surrounded with darkness and stars. Shadow was beside him as they watched the FINALHAZARD fall down, defeated because of their great teamwork. But it was not over yet.

The ARK was approaching Earth to destroy it. The two hedgehogs hurried and made their way toward it, fighting against the strong waves of wind that tried to push them back, but they continued.

"No way that's getting through!" Sonic said, and he stood between Earth and the disaster above. When the right moment arrived, he spoke. "Now, Shadow!"

"Chaos Control!!" They said it together, ending the war. It all disappeared after a bright light.

Sonic smiled at the victory and then he turned to Shadow who helped him make it all happen, but he was not beside him. He looked down and as he dreaded, Shadow was falling.

"Oh no! NO!!" Sonic cried, and with his hand, he reached for Shadow to save him.

At last, he gripped Shadow's hand and he tried his best to pull him up to safety but something was taking him away. Sonic pulled harder and he felt warm tears in his eyes. He could not accept what was happening. He could hardly see now because the tears burned in his eyes.

"Shadow, please!" Sonic cried out to him. "Fight it, Shadow! Come back with me!"

"I can't go any further. You go, Sonic. Go back and live." Shadow said, weakly.

"No, I can't, Shadow! I'm not losing you!!" Sonic cried again, pulling harder.

Just then, Shadow's hand slipped away and all Sonic held was his flame ring. Sonic had no voice as he opened his mouth to scream, reaching for Shadow one more time. But it was too late. Sonic helplessly watched in horror as Shadow vanished. He fell like a falling star and faded away like a shadow. Sonic was grieved at the terrible sight and the sorrowful loss. He could not accept it.

= = = = =

After a gasp of fear, Sonic sat up, sweating on his face. He had awakened from his dream. He found himself in the RV, on a bed and he turned to see Shadow. The black hedgehog was also awake and he let a weak smile go free. Sonic smiled back, letting out a weak sigh of relief.

"We made it." Sonic whispered, tired but yet very glad in his voice.

"We made it together." Shadow added, and then Sonic nodded his head, yes.

The two friends shook hands and then they hugged each other. Then the whole team came together as the others entered the room, clapping and cheering for the two heroes. In his heart, Sonic rejoiced, knowing the wonderful fact that they were together again, never to be parted.

"I hope you boys are hungry, because Tikal made you both some soup." Amy told them.

"I think we can handle that." Sonic said, and he winked his eye at Shadow.

"Great! Then here it comes." Knuckles said, as Tikal and Rouge entered the room, each carrying a tray with hot soup for the two healing hedgehogs. It was just what they needed.

Shadow held a spoon and took a sip of the soup, trying it. It was delicious and he felt his strength returning to him. Sonic enjoyed it also and the team happily watched them, smiling. Sonic came to the last spoon full of his soup and then he looked toward Shadow who lifted the bowl to his mouth, drinking the final sip. Sonic watched him with wide opened eyes, surprised and glad. When Shadow came to the final drop, he slurped it down, making a funny sound and so Sonic laughed out loud, unable to fight it. Shadow opened his eyes and placed the soup bowl down, wondering what was funny. Sonic laughed again, pointing to Shadow.

"Ha! I didn't know that!" He said, laughing again, nearly falling off the bed.

"What?" Shadow asked, with pure confusion seen on his face.

"The Ultimate Life Form slurps his soup! That's hilarious!" Sonic laughed harder.

"I'll give you something hilarious!" Shadow said, pretending to be angry as he took his pillow and began hitting Sonic with it. The blue hedgehog continued laughing.

"Two can play at that game! Pillow fight!" Sonic said, taking his pillow, fighting back.

They both laughed while hitting each other with the pillows and the team backed away; surprised at their quick recovery. Knuckles was the least surprised to see it.

"Well, it looks like everything is back to normal." The echidna said with a grin.

As you can see, my noble readers, true friendship never dies. It only becomes stronger and higher.