Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Warp drive ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 9: Warp drive

Now as the RV traveled further and further, the Sonic crew soon entered a desert somewhere in New Mexico in a place called Columbus. The sun was going down when they arrived and the beautiful sunset caught everyone's eye. It was the color of gold with a touch of pink and a bit of violet as the day was coming to a calm and quiet end. Sonic stopped the RV and in a need to stretch, he stepped outside, standing on the ground. His friends joined him and they all faced the direction of the sunset. They shared a moment of silence, one that could never be repeated.

"There it goes." Knuckles said, quietly pointing toward the sun as it disappeared from sight.

"That was amazing." Tails whispered almost to himself, still gazing at the sky.

"Awesome and really cool." Sonic agreed, smiling.

"It was like a movie." Amy said, and excited about what she saw.

"That's funny…" Rouge said, "I was thinking the same thing."

"Then all we need now is popcorn." Shadow said, hinting for something.

"We have a way to make that happen." Tikal said, "All I need is a campfire."

"Wow, good idea. Let's do it right here." Sonic said, and everyone agreed.

They parked the RV near a mountain where they had a great view of the sky above and since it was cold outside, they made a nice campfire, which they made in a fireplace surrounded with rocks they had gathered and placed on the ground. Tikal prepared a pot of popcorn and placed it over the fire, and then everyone gathered around the campfire, waiting. Tails and Amy were roasting marshmallows over the fire, having a fun time. Sonic sat quietly on a rock, thinking in his mind but his thoughts were his own. I cannot tell but perhaps he is thinking of the journey ahead of them all tomorrow. His thoughts broke when Amy came to him.

"Sonic, have a marshmallow." Amy offered it to him on a stick.

"No, thanks." Sonic said, quietly and he tried to return to his thinking.

"But I made this one just for you." Amy said, sad and disappointed in her voice.

Then Sonic sighed, turning to her and he accepted it. "Okay, I'll take it, Amy."

"Good. I hope you like it. Try it, Sonic." Amy said, happy again to see him holding it.

Sonic fought against a grin and then he took the marshmallow in one bite, surprising Amy. He licked his lips clean and then suddenly; a popping sound was heard from the campfire. It was the popcorn and it was ready for the team. Tikal placed the pot in the midst of them and they began to enjoy it while watching the stars and talking. Sonic finished his last bite and then he noticed Amy was sitting alone with her arms wrapped around herself. She was shivering.

"Hey, Amy, what's wrong?" Sonic asked, standing beside her while she sat on a rock.

"Nothing. I'm just cold." Amy answered, looking up at him with her green eyes.

Then Sonic left her, entering the RV. He returned with a warm blanket and he wrapped it around her. Amy held the blanket close, feeling warm almost instantly.

"Thank you, Sonic. I feel warm now." Amy told him, smiling at him.

"That's good." Sonic said, and then he turned and he was quite surprised to see Knuckled and Tikal, dancing. The echidnas danced near the campfire, making the others laugh with enjoyment.

"Shadow, are you going to ask me to dance?" Rouge asked the black hedgehog.

"Ultimate Life Forms don't dance." Shadow answered, closing his eyes.

"I'll dance with you, Rouge." Tails said, bowing his head and trying to be a gentleman.

"How sweet of you, fox boy. I'd love to." Rouge shyly giggled and took his hand.

Amy watched them and then she looked at Sonic with a smile. "Are you going to ask me to dance too?" She asked, sitting on a rock while he stood, crossing his arms.

"I think perhaps I might ask you to dance if you were the last girl on earth." Sonic replied.

"You don't mean that, Sonic!" Amy said, and then she kicked a small stone away.

"Look, I don't even know how if I fell over it." Sonic said, truthfully.

"I don't care and besides, I can show you how." Amy kindly offered.

"Uh… not tonight. I feel really tired and need some shut eye for tomorrow." Sonic said, and he fake-yawned, reached for his toothbrush and began brushing.

"Just a little dance, Sonic, please?" Amy asked him, begging.

"No way!" Sonic said, after spitting out his mint toothpaste. He rinsed his mouth with water and then Amy held his hand, still not giving up.

"Oh, Sonic, you can't say no. Just a little, tiny bit, pretty please?" She asked, cutely.

Sonic slipped his hand out from hers, spitting the water on the ground and then he coughed. He turned to her, still unsure but before he could answer, Metal Sonic suddenly appeared and he caught Amy from behind, holding her by the arms and pulled her away from Sonic.

"Looks like the last dance belongs to me." Metal said, looking at Sonic, his enemy.

"SONIC! HELP! SAVE ME!" Amy screamed, loudly. It was her only defense at the moment.

"At least you can't hit me with that murderous hammer of yours, but your voice is just as deadly, so be quiet, pink pest!" Metal covered her mouth to silence her cries for help.

Sonic gasped when he saw her green eyes, wide with terror as Metal aimed a dangerous gun weapon to her. "NO!" Sonic yelled, "Don't hurt her! It's me you want! Let her go now!"

"You're willing to take her place?" Metal asked him.

"More than willing. Let her go and we'll have our 'talk' fist to fist!" Sonic said, without fear.

"Sounds very tempting, hedgehog. I just hope you will be a challenge for me."

"The last Sonic standing will be the winner!" Sonic challenged him, bravely.

"This world isn't big enough for both of us, so one has to go." Metal told him.

"I agree!" Sonic said, and he ran toward the robot as it dropped Amy. She fell to the ground, unharmed and she looked as Sonic jumped into a homing attack, jumping toward Metal.

"Sonic, watch out!" Amy called, warning him in time to jump to safety.

Metal nearly hit him but missed again, giving Sonic the chance to attack, which he did. The robot hedgehog moved to attack his foe and Sonic stood to protect. Sonic avoided a punch and again, he came jumping into a homing attack, damaging Metal. But the robot stood again and with a forceful strike, he threw Sonic down, casting him to the ground. The blue hedgehog lay still, not moving so Metal carefully approached him. When the robot was over him, Sonic attacked suddenly and strongly, and with that done, Metal fell backwards to the ground. It's strange how even a hedgehog can play opossum. The two stood up and faced each other; Sonic was catching his breath while Metal stared with his glowing red eyes, perhaps thinking of another attack plan. Then suddenly, Eggman's voice was heard through a communication device on Metal's hand.

"Metal, get back here this instant before the mountain blows up with you!"

"What? Blows up?" Sonic gasped, with his green eyes widening.

"I'd love to stay and finish you off, but duty calls. Adios, hedgehog!" Metal escaped into the darkness and then Sonic turned and looked toward the mountain. They had four minutes.

"The RV! The team! Oh no!" Sonic cried, and he ran while holding Amy's hand. He hurried and returned to camp to find out that Shadow, Knuckles and Rouge had to fight with Chaos but he got away with Metal. There was no time to lose so Sonic told them all to hurry.

"How can we make it in time, Sonic? The RV is not fast enough!" Tails said, entering it.

"We have only one chance or we'll be blown to kingdom come! Shadow, if we use the Chaos Emerald, you think it will work and get us out of here?" Sonic asked him.

"No doubt!" Shadow answered, confidently.

"Okay, then let's try it. Knuckles, pass me the Emerald and quick!" Sonic said, and he reached for it as Knuckles handed it to the hedgehog. "Shadow, take the wheel, you drive us outta here like wild and I'll place the Emerald in the engine. As soon as I do, blast off!"

"But Sonic, shouldn't we wait for you?" Tails asked, worried for him.

"No time, Tails. I'll be fine. Just go!" Sonic said, and then he closed the door.

He ran outside to the front of the RV, opened the hood and as soon as he placed the Emerald in the engine, the RV drove off almost uncontrollably. It appeared as if they had warp drive. Shadow was the driver and even though he wanted to wait for Sonic to be inside, the RV began to move and he had no choice but to control it. The RV somehow made it to safety and the team heard a loud explosion behind them. The RV shook slightly when it happened but no one was harmed. When they were in a safe place, the RV slowed down and returned to its normal speed again, so Shadow stopped and jumped outside, looking for Sonic. Everyone else came outside in the dark with flashlights and they looked all around the RV and above it but Sonic was not there. They all gathered in front of the RV, sadly telling the news without words.

"Is he…?" Amy could not finish the question.

The team did not dare to answer and then to their great surprise, they heard someone cough from underneath the RV. They all looked and they saw Sonic crawl out from under the RV, holding the Emerald in his hand. His white gloves, his arms and face had car grease lightly speckled on and the team; thankful with true gladness came running to him.

"Oh, Sonic, you were wonderful! You did it!" Amy kissed his cheek.

"Don't be gross!" Sonic said, wiping it away with his hand.

"So, what was it like down there?" Knuckles asked, curiously when Sonic stood up on his feet.

"It was windy." Sonic replied, after a short moment of thinking.

"Windy?" Shadow asked, and then Sonic cleaned the grease off with a washcloth.

"Yeah, but right now, we gotta jet and fill it up. The RV is starving." Sonic said.

"After all this, I'm hungry too." Tails said, smiling at the hedgehog.

"I'll fix that. Come on, let's go!" Sonic called, and together as it should be, the crew entered the faithful and amazing RV, leaving the area. It was a close call but Sonic found a way out, giving death a fighting chance to live and that is what he always does. Into the night, the RV disappeared but when it reaches light once again danger may come with the day. Sonic would have to plan on it happening and be ready for anything that may come on the road in the journey ahead.