Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Thin ice ( Chapter 19 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 19: Thin ice

Through the storm clouds, the sun announced the morning with a warm light beam. The dewdrops outside shined on the green grass like diamonds and after the night storm came a beautiful morning. The storm clouds fled away as if they feared the golden sunlight, which was the victor to bring the morning. Everywhere there were signs of renewing and at the campsite; it was quiet when Sonic the Hedgehog opened his green eyes to another day. He rubbed his eyes and then he realized that he had fallen asleep in the driver's seat last night. He grinned sleepily, thinking how strange that was but on the road, you have to do what it takes to travel through and a place to sleep was never for sure, especially when you are with a crew, like Sonic. The blue hedgehog stretched his arms and legs, let out a yawn and then he turned toward the passenger seat next to him. He was surprised to see that Shadow was asleep there on the chair, but he was also holding a coffee mug in his hand, which was now empty. Sonic covered his mouth with his hands to keep from laughing but not to laugh was very difficult at the moment. Shadow slightly opened his eyes, which made Sonic drop his hands and then the blue hedgehog smiled.

"Good morning, Shadow. Did you sleep well? How are you?" Sonic asked him.

Shadow sat up, sleepily blinking his eyes and then he noticed the cup in his hand. He blinked again as if he did not believe he was holding it and then he looked at Sonic. "I'm fine, but I need some more coffee." He said, quietly and then he removed the blanket off himself.

"More coffee?" Sonic said, surprised. "Man, you had two cups last night. You better be careful."

Shadow ignored him and stood up from the chair to make himself a morning cup of coffee. Sonic sighed and shook his head, but a smile was seen on his face. Then he saw that everyone else was gone. "Hey, Shadow, do you know where the others are?" Sonic asked, curiously.

"The girls are at the ladies restrooms, taking a shower, Knuckles is out walking Freeway and Tails is over at the picnic table, working on his laptop computer." Shadow answered.

"Wow, how did you know all that?" Sonic asked him.

"Coffee keeps you going. Get it?" Shadow asked, and then Sonic nodded his head, yes.

He watched Shadow pour himself a cup of coffee, and then Sonic slipped his shoes on, ready for running. "I could use a shower myself. I'll be back in a little bit." Sonic told him, and then he stepped outside with a bath towel. Shadow shrugged and then he carefully took a sip of the hot coffee before sitting down to look at the map. He saw that the next stop was Wyoming.

= = = = =

Location: Wyoming…

The RV moved on until they reached Wyoming and it was a lovely place. They were on their way to see Yellowstone National Park, which is a great park to visit. But our great crew was unaware that their foe Dr. Eggman was not willing to give up yet. The villain had been at the drawing board, thinking until he invented a machine that could control the weather. To control something like that can be very dangerous but that is precisely what he wanted to win.

"The hedgehog doesn't stand a chance now that I have completed my greatest invention ever and reached a powerful achievement. With this, my Weather Disorder, my adversary will surely be history!" Eggman said, proudly standing next to the weather machine.

"And I thought he was talking about me." Metal Sonic whispered to himself.

"Oh, goodie, good, good! We have our very own minivan!" Chaos said, excited.

"That's not a minivan, stupid. It's the Weather Disorder." Metal corrected him.

"It sure looks like a minivan to me. I want to go for a drive."

"Absolutely not!" Metal angrily said, but Eggman turned to them with a plan.

"We are going for a drive to Yellowstone National Park, which is the location of the pesky blue rodent right now. We'll sneak into the park without being detected, and victory shall be mine!" The scientist told them and then he entered the machine, laughing.

"I told you so, screwy." Chaos teased and he ran into the van before Metal could attack him.

= = = = =

Returning to the hero side, we find Sonic and his crew at Yellowstone National Park, enjoying the truly amazing sights and sounds, taking pictures and watching the wildlife in the area. Yellowstone National Park is the first and oldest national park in the world. Preserved within Yellowstone are Old Faithful Geyser and some 10,000 hot springs and geysers, the majority of the planet's total. These geothermal wonders are evidence of one of the world's largest active volcanoes; its last eruption created a crater that spans almost half of the park. An outstanding mountain wild land with clean water and air, Yellowstone is home of the grizzly bear and wolf, and free-ranging herds of bison and elk. It is the core of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, one of the largest intact temperate zone ecosystems remaining on the planet. Sonic and his friends found the park to be very interesting and filled with wonders. They watched with excitement and enjoyment as a herd of bison walked passed them, very close and so Amy was taking photos of them and elk, which were eating grass under the shade of trees.

"Wow! Look, Old Faithful is going to erupt!" Amy pointed toward it and everyone looked. They watched as the boiling water reached up into the sky. They watched until it vanished.

"That's so cool! It makes me want to fly!" Sonic leaped into the air and then he landed right on his feet. "Then again, maybe not." Sonic thought, after he saw that he did not reach as high.

"Show off." Shadow whispered, shaking his head.

"This is a great place, but you have to expect the unexpected." Knuckles said, and after he finished speaking, the team was very surprised to see snow falling down.

"WHAT?" Tails gasped. "It's snowing! Look, Sonic! It's snow!"

"Whoever heard anything like this?" Sonic said, "Snow in June? It's impossible!" But it was possible, because Dr. Eggman arrived in his ship with Metal and Chaos.

"Dr. Eggman!" Amy screamed when she saw him behind the team. Everyone turned around and they came face to face with the evil scientist who fought for revenge.

"If you value your life, miserable rodent, you will surrender the Emerald and yourself to me! But if you don't, I'll make sure you become a hedgehog snow cone!" Eggman coldly threatened.

"Sonic!" Knuckles asked him, "What are we going to do? What should we say?"

"A situation like this calls for precisely the right communication." Sonic answered, and then he turned to Eggman and stuck out his tongue, mocking him.

"Metal, destroy Sonic!" Eggman commanded, pointing toward the blue hedgehog.

"It will be an honor to smash him to bits and tare him limb from limb!" Metal said, and he ran toward the blue hedgehog until they were head to head, pushing each other.

"I'll never let you take me down, you tin plated junkyard reject!" Sonic growled.

"Foolish words, lame hedgehog! This is your last day on Earth and I will make it one you'll never remember!" Metal slapped Sonic on the face, casting him down to the ground.

"There's only one real Sonic!" The hedgehog said, standing up again. He leaped into a homing attack, hitting Metal and damaging him and they both fell backwards to the ground.

"Sonic!" Shadow called and he came to his side, lifting him from the snowy ground.

Sonic opened his eyes and rested a hand on his head, and then he gasped when he saw Chaos behind Shadow. "Look out!" Sonic yelled and he ducked down with Shadow before Chaos could punch him. They watched as Chaos missed the punch and his fist hit his own face.

Chaos fell to the ground; dizzy after punching himself by mistake and then Metal lifted him up, shaking him awake. They turned and faced Sonic and his crew and they were holding snowballs, which the girls had been making. Metal and Chaos looked at each other, shrugging.

"This is war!" Sonic said, and he threw the first snowball for Eggman, which was a direct hit.

"That does it!" Eggman growled and he was furious. "Metal, Chaos, attack! Get them!"

Metal nodded his head and he was very fast to make snowballs with his hands. Chaos watched him until he felt dizzy. Metal turned to Sonic, holding a snowball in his hand.

"Sonic, they've got snowballs too!" Tails warned him, pointing.

"That always makes it more interesting!" Sonic said, after he jumped over a flying snowball. Then he threw one toward Metal, but the robot ducked down and it hit Chaos instead.

"Now you'll get yours!" Metal threw another toward Sonic and this time, it hit him on the shoulder. He fell backwards but Shadow and Knuckles caught him and pushed him back up.

"Whew! Thanks, guys. I needed that." Sonic thanked them, and then he found another snowball.

And so that was the way it went for almost ten minutes until Metal suddenly leaped into the air and Sonic did the same. Metal surprised Sonic with a kick and the hedgehog fell down a steep hill with Metal following him. The robot had his sharp hands around the hedgehog's neck and they fought their way down onto frozen water and only ice supported them.

"SONIC!" The crew called him, running toward the ice.

"No!" Sonic chocked out the word while in the deadly grasp of Metal. He was pinned down on his back, on the frozen water and he felt the ice slightly crack beneath him. His eyes were closed but then he managed to open them slightly only to see the glowing red eyes of Metal above him. Sonic gathered all his strength and used his legs to kick the robot away. "Get off my back!" Sonic yelled and then he stood up, strong again and he took a good breath of air.

"We're coming, Sonic!" Knuckles called and he reached the ice first, coming to him.

"Guys, watch out, we're on thin ice!" Sonic warned when he saw his friends coming.

"Whoa! Whoa!" Shadow yelled, slipping on the ice and then he used his air shoes to stand.

"HELP!" Rouge screamed, trying to stop but she fell from the ground and onto the ice. She slid at amazing speed and knocked down Metal when he was finally able to stand up again.

"Hey, this is fun! The water's stiff!" Tails said, holding Tikal by the hand, skating.

"Wintertime is nice with the ice and snow!" Amy giggled; skating passed them.

"Summertime is nice for a place to go." Tikal added, still holding Tails by the hand, afraid.

"I was thinking of suppertime myself." Knuckles said, and he held Rouge's hands, skating with her, but bats were not good skaters on ice. Rouge nearly slipped again, but Knuckles held her.

"How can you think of food at a time like this?!" Rouge screamed at the red echidna.

"Oh, I have my ways." Knuckles said, and he raised an eyebrow, grinning.

Sonic sighed and turned toward Metal again who was standing on his feet again after falling a few times. Sonic stood ready to fight but before Metal could attack, the ice beneath him cracked and down he went into the cold water with a splash. He was frozen under water.

"What a chilling thrill!" Sonic gasped with surprise when he saw it. But then suddenly, he heard the ice crack beneath him and he knew that he and his friends were in danger. He lifted his eyes and turned toward them, warning. "Guys, we gotta split like wild! The ice won't hold!"

"You hear that, Knuckles?! We're going to die in ice! That's not nice!" Rouge screamed.

"Nah, I don't have time to die! Let's go, Rouge!" Knuckles carried her toward land, on firm ground, gliding his way there and they were finally safe, much to the bat's relief.

"Time to go, Tikal!" Tails called, pulling her by the hand and they made it safely.

"You're not as strong as I thought." Shadow said to the frozen Metal before leaving.

Sonic turned to leave but then a scream made him turn back to the ice. "Sonic, help!!" Amy called from the ice and he saw that her foot was caught. The ice was shattering like glass.

"AMY!" Sonic called and he ran to her without a moment to lose. "Hang on! I'm coming!"

"Sonic!" Amy screamed when she saw the ice breaking around her, dangerously.

Sonic panted and felt his heart thumping wildly as he feared that the ice would break at any moment with no warning whatsoever. He hurried and made it to Amy, freed her captured foot and lifted her to stand up, but then all around, a crack was formed in the ice.

"We're on an island!" Amy gasped with horror when she saw where they were.

"No worries! I'm the world's fastest hedgehog!" Sonic said, and then he took her hand, running at top speed, jumped over the shattered ice and landed to safety but it was too good to last. Behind them, the ice began to shatter and the dangerously cold water sought to swallow anything in its path. "Great balls of fire!" Sonic gasped and he ran without looking back.

"Sonic, the sky isn't falling but the floor is!" Amy screamed as she nearly fell in water.

"I know! I know!" Sonic said, running faster as the thin ice behind him shattered with every step he took. He jumped when the ice in front of him shattered and he somehow landed safely on the ground where the crew was waiting for them. Sonic let Amy down and she giggled.

"My hero! You rescued me!" She smiled and hugged him tight until he chocked.

"Is everyone here?" Sonic asked after he recovered and he looked around.

"Yeah, we're all here but Eggman is on his way over here." Knuckles warned him.

"No problem. I've got a plan." Tails said, and he found his laptop in his backpack. He opened the laptop and began typing on the keyboard, making the team wonder with questions.

"What in the world are you doing? This is no time for Tetris." Rouge said, confused.

"No, I'm able to probe into Eggman's weather machine and if I do this right, I can give him a taste of his own medicine." The fox said, and he continued typing until he finished.

"That doctor is down for the count." Sonic said, grinning at the computer screen.

= = = = =

Near the mountain, Dr. Eggman and Chaos had lost sight of Metal and the Sonic crew and they did not have a clue. The scientist stood beside the Weather Disorder invention, thinking. "This is most unusual for Metal to simply disappear with that hedgehog. Chaos, see if you can find them with the telescope." He pointed toward it, and then Chaos looked in with one eye, seeking.

His eyes widened when he saw a giant snowball coming down toward them. "Well, I don't know about Sonic, but I see a HUGE white thing coming right for us from the sky!"

"Never mind the snowballs! I want to know-AH! Oh no!!" Eggman screamed and Chaos did the same as the giant snowball crashed into the Weather Disorder, destroying it, burying Eggman and Chaos in a pile of snow while doing so.

On top of the mountain, Sonic and his friends stood together, each standing on a snowboard. They saw that the plan worked as they expected it to and in fact, better than they thought. Sonic looked to his left and to his right, facing each team member, and then he winked his eye.

"Let's go follow our rainbow!" Sonic said, and with a slight push, he slid down the snowy hill on the snowboard and the others followed him all the way back to the RV, their home on wheels. The cold wind rushed passed him and the world was flying colors to him. He shouted for the victory and his heart was restored with faith in his and his friend's great abilities. Now with the weather back, as it should be the RV began to travel on the road again with the great explorers.